USKIDS Steel TS60's vs Ladies Titleist 714 AP1 for 5' junior

JimDiGritzJimDiGritz Members Posts: 22
edited Jun 15, 2018 in Junior Equipment Talk #1
Got a chance to grab a bargain set of Ladies AP1's with the Kura Kage 50 shaft- are they an upgrade from the USKids Tour Series with steel shafts?

Quick answer appreciated!!

Comments

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,116 ✭✭
    JimDiGritz wrote:

Got a chance to grab a bargain set of Ladies AP1's with the Kura Kage 50 shaft- are they an upgrade from the USKids Tour Series with steel shafts?

Quick answer appreciated!!

No. If your kid is 5' he is probably around 6th grade. Wouldn't put him in AP1's unless he was fitted and definitely would put him in ladies shafts if he is a player. Not everyone can hit Titleist clubs.
  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 292 ✭✭
    It's absolutely a better set, the question is whether it's the right set for your junior. What are they swinging now? Why are you getting a new set?
  • JimDiGritzJimDiGritz Members Posts: 22
    Thanks, he's 12 and AVG swing speed (driver) is 75mph+

He's growing out of his uskuds 57" TS steel irons and I saw this set come up on eBay for 100bucks.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,116 ✭✭
    JimDiGritz wrote:

Thanks, he's 12 and AVG swing speed (driver) is 75mph+

He's growing out of his uskuds 57" TS steel irons and I saw this set come up on eBay for 100bucks.

I definitely wouldn't put him in AP1's knowing this.
    Fair enough, I'll upgrade him to the USKIDS TS60s later this year. I just thought that since he's doing well with his OEM driver that moving into better irons was worth it!

Thanks

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    JimDiGritz wrote:

Fair enough, I'll upgrade him to the USKIDS TS60s later this year. I just thought that since he's doing well with his OEM driver that moving into better irons was worth it!

Thanks

75 mph swing speed is what would keep me from getting these. My boy had a set of AP1's that he outgrew but had a swing speed significantly higher than that and was compressing the ball well.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Fair point, he's not a power hitter, a decent drive for him right now is only about 200yds I wasn't sure if AP1s with graphite shafts were a big step up!

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,069 ✭✭
    The ap1's would work but I wouldn't buy them if you have other options. Before you know it you will need senior shafts anyways. The best way to try adult clubs is to go out to demo day and try them at the correct lengths. If that is not an option buy a single iron and test it.

The swing speed seems on the low side to me. You could go ladies shafts but the speed is not there to make it go that far yet.
  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 292 ✭✭
    For $100 it may not be a bad plan for a couple years from now.
    Thanks to all of you for the input. I'm surprised to hear that his swingspeed is seen as especially slow, however I guess he doesn't have much to compare against since he's not surrounded by elite players. His current PW is gap testing at 85yds.

I know many of the parents on this forum have kids who are genuinely at the top level of the sport, so it's always good to hear your experience.

As a non-playing parent I'm just making sure that I'm not holding him back with the wrong kit. I've looked into fittings but here in the UK no-one seems to want to fit juniors - they just point you to USKids (which aren't ever in stock - so he can't even try them!!).

Thanks again
  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 371 ✭✭
    Jim my nephew is 12 and is small for his age. I think he is 58” tall right now. His club head speed is probably right around your sons because he hits his drive 200 or just a little over that. He was hitting the 57”

US kids steel and my brother got him the Cobra Forged Tec Black Irons with the Recoil graphite shafts. He got the light flex from what I remember. He loves the clubs and doesn’t have any issues hitting them. I have no clue how forgiving they are compared to others.
  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 371 ✭✭
    Here is the link to a really good article on what irons to look at when you move your kid into adult heads.

https://thejuniorgolfer.com/junior-transition-irons/
    Thanks again for all the input - I ended up getting the irons - $125 for 6 in decent condition seemed like a good deal - and as it happens my wife is just starting with some golf lessons and needs some clubs so they will go to her.

My son tried them the other evening and in the short space of time we had I got the following feedback:

1. Only a little long, he was choking down perhaps 1.5 inches at most.

2. Feel "great"

3. overall slightly heavier, but he felt the weight was more in the head due to the graphite shafts

4. We didn't gap test but overall he probably only added 10% to his distances - not sure what the lofts are off hand to compare so can't do a real side by side test yet.

5. Accuracy - a push. First few shots were awful, 50 balls in he was hitting his usual ratio of good/bad/ugly shots!

It's such a complex area, and not playing myself makes it doubly difficult to make the best choices.

PS great article Gofingdawg - the 714s aren't on the list but it seems to suggest that the newer 718s make good transition clubs.
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 180 ✭✭
    In general what SS is enough to jump to adult irons?

I know my son will need new clubs this year. His 57 Flynn 2b is already too whippy.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,069 ✭✭
    edited Jan 9, 2019 8:01pm #16
    mrshinsa wrote:

In general what SS is enough to jump to adult irons?

I know my son will need new clubs this year. His 57 Flynn 2b is already too whippy.

At 57 inches it probably time to move on to adult clubs very soon.

Or at least when buy them next time if his current setup works. Good chance you will want a senior shaft and equipment for a boy. If he can hit as far as an 75 to 80year old grandpa in front of you it’s time to move on up to adult clubs

Shafts are all over the place there is no standard. Because there is no standard I tend to think like this on driver swing speed.

Below 60 mph

Look at women’s and junior clubs in many cases there similar since women don’t swing very fast and neither does juniors.

60-85 mph

Senior shafts and equipment here

85-100 mph

Regular shaft for men

100 plus

Stiff shafts

This should be a good guideline. Since shafts vary so much you go be a regular swing shaft A and Stiff in shaft B.