2018 NBA Season

Comments

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,360 ✭✭

Weird season so far. I never would have projected bucks and nuggets leading their conferences this far in. My mvp to date would be Kawhi. 27,8, and 3 are solid numbers and his defense is the best in the league this year. I think he is running away with dpoy.

I still look for rockets to make huge trade before deadline. Harden has been playing amazingly well always impressive. I feel like lakers are coming back down to reality a bit and bucks won’t win division.

Pacers are playing well especially with victor being hurt off and on. Sabonis has lifted him to second best player on team making me feel like we did great in the trade. Thad has been playing much year which is important for his career. Happy with the year to this point.

Kawhi can't win MVP until he plays in a couple of back to backs.
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Members Posts: 16,198 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

Weird season so far. I never would have projected bucks and nuggets leading their conferences this far in. My mvp to date would be Kawhi. 27,8, and 3 are solid numbers and his defense is the best in the league this year. I think he is running away with dpoy.

I still look for rockets to make huge trade before deadline. Harden has been playing amazingly well always impressive. I feel like lakers are coming back down to reality a bit and bucks won't win division.

Pacers are playing well especially with victor being hurt off and on. Sabonis has lifted him to second best player on team making me feel like we did great in the trade. Thad has been playing much year which is important for his career. Happy with the year to this point.

Kawhi can't win MVP until he plays in a couple of back to backs.

The MVP is more important to Harden then winning in the playoffs.
    It's the annual out-of-breath classic!

It's a lot harder to shoot 35 times and handle the ball for 30 minutes a game in the playoffs. Well unless you're Russell Westbrook, except in that case you are not actually hitting shots

This is why I'm not as high on Milwaukee either.
  • pinhigh27pinhigh27 Members Posts: 9,586 ✭✭
    Does Westbrook think he's a good shooter? Has anyone ever shot like 20% from 3 with 5 attempts a game?
    How to be in better shape for golf?
    Become a better athlete.
    Don't worry about golf specific.
    Compound lifts w/ linear progress
    Don't forget the mobility work.
    More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
    17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
    8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
    Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
    Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700
    pinhigh27 wrote:

Does Westbrook think he's a good shooter? Has anyone ever shot like 20% from 3 with 5 attempts a game?

He's a pioneer!

The irony is every other part of his game is probably better than its ever been. Defense, passing, general unselfish play.

He isn't even hitting his usual elbow pull up.

Weird season.
    its just interesting to me with how readily apparent metrics are and how obvious it is, dude must just be so stubborn. either work on your shooting more or stop shooting 3s. It's a terrible play for him.
    Become a better athlete.

Yeah , it's too bad. The thing that is just really dumb is how these young blogger boys (stealing that from Durant!) have decided he's like, a bad player because of it. He's kind of become a superstar version of what the "smart fans" did to Rudy Gay back like 10 years ago. Where they decided Rudy Gay sucked because everyone learned what advanced metrics were and he took a lot of long 2's. Than he got traded to the Kings, averaged 20-6 and no one talked about him, and 5 years later it was like "wait, Rudy Gay is good at basketball"

People have gone so far the other way on Westbrook it's insane. The Ringer had him as their 25th best player in the league!

It's like, OK he steals some rebounds on free throws, and takes dumb shots. He's averaged a triple double for a winning team for 2 1/2 years!!!!
    Kuzma might be entering the “off limits” conversation.

Kuzma might be entering the "off limits" conversation.

what i told you guys from beginning!
    Become a better athlete.

pinhigh27 wrote:

Kuzma might be entering the "off limits" conversation.

what i told you guys from beginning!

You called it!
    The Lakers are probably the most interesting team in the league right now. On the one hand you have some talented young guys like Kuzma, Ingram, Ball.....on the other hand the league is somewhat in chaos right now and if the Warriors implode, it's literally wide open and you have Lebron

So do they hold on to people and hope they get Kawhi or Klay as a free agent, or that Brow becomes available and they can make the best offer....or do they make a trade for a Bradley Beal type right away and maybe try to win the title this year

I don't believe they can win the title this year with their current roster. Lebron is great but everyone else is too green in the playoffs, that's just my opinion.

Will be super interesting
    edited Jan 11, 2019 12:22am #523
    I think trading for a Beal would be a huge gamble as the ceiling for all three of those young guys is higher than Beals IMO. The front office have preeched about building a team that will be successful for years so I don’t think they trade young talent for anything but a superstar. Maybe Lillard and for sure AD.

The most intriguing thing to me as a Laker fan is if they can land a player like Kawhi, Klay and not give up any young talent. Imagine if all three of those guys reach potential and they have LeBron plus one other. It would be a scary team,
    teams should set themselves up for future. I mean the warriors have to break up sometime in next couple years I would think.
    Become a better athlete.

• HoosierHacker89HoosierHacker89 Members Posts: 2,642 ✭✭
    I am waiting to see the warriors death line up in full force in the coming weeks. I think it would implode the entire team or be the best starting line up ever assembled. Draymond and cousins both have been hot heads historically and there has already been bad blood between green and Durant. This second half of the season for the warriors will in as interesting as anything in the league. I heard LBJ is gonna be our for as much as a few months, but there are reports all over the internet on different time tables. He isn’t getting any younger at 34, so it will be interesting to see if he comes back stronger than ever with fresh legs.

Pacers look solid. I look for them to trade collision or Joseph and move Holiday up in the rotation as the season goes on.
    Titleist 910 D3
    R7 steel 4 wood
    Cleveland Ta 5 3-P
    Cleveland 588 51/56
    Odyssey white hot 2 ball
    it's pretty crazy how this is basically biggest injury of lebrons career so far.
    Become a better athlete.

So....there's a player averaging 19-11 on 59-36-71 splits with a 21 PER and who is only 21 years old

Last 3 games 21-14....30-14....25-9.....two of those against top teams.

Quietly, John Collins has gotten REALLY good. That 36% from 3 is on 2.6 attempts a game too.
    why are the thunder retiring nick collisons number...
    Become a better athlete.

pinhigh27 wrote:

why are the thunder retiring nick collisons number...

LOL....but i guess i'm OK with it.

They LOVED him there. He played for the Sonics/Thunder his whole career, and at one point took a really strange contract to help them out. If i recall he made something like 12-13M in his first year of a deal, then like 1M for the next 2-3. It was so they could have a better cap situation when Russ and KD's contracts were up. He was a beloved veteran presence in the locker room

It was just one of those weird situations where he wasn't a good player but for whatever reason just ended up being really appreciated. Frankly i'm surprised he isnt a coach with them now

I guess they also needed to retire a number before Westbrook, since that probably won't happen for 7-8 years at least. And i'd rather Collison than Kendrick Perkins LOL
  • F171615F171615 Members Posts: 394 ✭✭

I think trading for a Beal would be a huge gamble as the ceiling for all three of those young guys is higher than Beals IMO. The front office have preeched about building a team that will be successful for years so I don't think they trade young talent for anything but a superstar. Maybe Lillard and for sure AD.

The most intriguing thing to me as a Laker fan is if they can land a player like Kawhi, Klay and not give up any young talent. Imagine if all three of those guys reach potential and they have LeBron plus one other. It would be a scary team,

What is the view of the young players now after they've had this extended time trying to perform without LeBron? The performance of the young players has been disappointing, and I worry about how much they are hurting their future trade value?
    edited Jan 16, 2019 8:46am #531
    Ive watched probably 6-7 Duke games now, and Zion and RJ are probably the two best NBA prospects to play on the same college team that I can recall.

I think Zion will go #1, I would take him first anyway. His floor is incredibly high, it's hard to imagine him NOT being a 20/10 guy almost immediately. Super athletic, huge, willing defender, above average passer for size, best combo finisher of both dunks and soft touch around hoop I can recall. Some NBA team will make him a 5, get him in space and it will be early Blake Griffin worst case

My only wonder with Zion is if he wants to shoot 25 times a game, or if he will always be better as a second option. Like a deluxe Al Horford type

One guy who I know has no issues shooting is RJ Barrett. He needs to use his ability to get into the lane to create more for others but that can be harder against zones. But he's a guy who could average 30 a night against man coverage. Sometimes it looks like it should be easier for him in college and he forces up difficult shots. If he can kind of reign that in and turn those into passes...than he becomes the 6'7 James Harden-type people compare him to
    i cant really say i understand this fascination with how Dennis Smith Jr MUST be traded because he can't co-exist with Doncic

Smith is 21, and is shooting 38% from 3 on four attempts a game. He is also a freak athlete.....i know his assist to turnover ratio isn't good and he is still fairly raw (they knew this when drafting him). But this feels very early to give up on a guy shooting OK because you feel he can't play off the ball

Isnt having multiple ball handlers a good thing? Especially if they shoot well enough to space the floor
    MtlJeff wrote:

i cant really say i understand this fascination with how Dennis Smith Jr MUST be traded because he can't co-exist with Doncic

Smith is 21, and is shooting 38% from 3 on four attempts a game. He is also a freak athlete.....i know his assist to turnover ratio isn't good and he is still fairly raw (they knew this when drafting him). But this feels very early to give up on a guy shooting OK because you feel he can't play off the ball

Isnt having multiple ball handlers a good thing? Especially if they shoot well enough to space the floor

I can’t see them trading him, he’s too talented and young. They won’t get anything close to that in return. Teams don’t give up on young talent.
    F171615 wrote:

I think trading for a Beal would be a huge gamble as the ceiling for all three of those young guys is higher than Beals IMO. The front office have preeched about building a team that will be successful for years so I don't think they trade young talent for anything but a superstar. Maybe Lillard and for sure AD.

What is the view of the young players now after they've had this extended time trying to perform without LeBron? The performance of the young players has been disappointing, and I worry about how much they are hurting their future trade value?

They have been inconsistent. They are like a 10 handicap that either plays like a 20 and shoots 95 or a 0 handicap and shoots even par. Their is no middle ground. But one thing they are doing well is learning.

F171615 wrote:

They have been inconsistent. They are like a 10 handicap that either plays like a 20 and shoots 95 or a 0 handicap and shoots even par. Their is no middle ground. But one thing they are doing well is learning.
    I wonder how long a game of H-O-R-S-E between Russ and Andrew Wiggins would take
    Russ was bad last night. He seems to be aging quick.
  • F171615F171615 Members Posts: 394 ✭✭

Russ was bad last night. He seems to be aging quick.

Why has his free throw shooting gotten so much worse - that's not something typically associated with aging?
    Athletically he's still as ridiculous as ever. I watch a lot of their games, he just cannot hit a jumpshot

I honestly question how he gets things in the garbage can in his house. His floor must have a lot of old food and stuff on it.

It could just be one of those weird seasons where nothing goes in. I think Klay was sub 35% on threes a few weeks ago and he's one of the best ever. Hopefully it's just a stretch
    I didn’t see the explosiveness last night that I was used to. I have only watched him play twice this year.
    He doesn't go for dunks in traffic as much I've noticed, but he can still get in the lane and create space for that pull up. He just can't make the ball go through the hoop
    What did you think of the Lakers young core last night?