Wedge Replacement

HoleInOne123

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse, but I am having a hard time truly find an answer that pertains to my play and practice schedule. I typically play or practice 5-6 times per week May-August and then maybe on 1 or twice every 2 weeks from about September to early April. I just bought new wedges last June and got the SM6 and the finish on the brushed steel has almost completely faded. I also play in the South on Bermuda grass so it tends to be a bit more grainy. So my question would be how often should I replace and is it time? Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d be more concerned with the groove depth than the finish. Is there a significant disparity between the upper grooves vs the lower impact grooves? Does the ball spin adequately with non range balls during play?

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

I play in the south too, had SM5's with a wear spot starting to show up on my 50 and 56, 60 just kinda looked knicked up but not bad. I practice 5-6 times per week and probably play 36 holes a week total. I didn't think my old ones were too bad, recently got some SM7's and it's like playing a different sport. Control of trajectory is the main difference I see. I didn't realize I had lost the ability to keep the ball low on partial swing shots from inside 100yds. I told my club guy to never let me go more than 1 year again, too much difference

holy phone misspell problems

Paradym 💎 💎 💎 10.5* AD VR 6tx

TSR 3 16.5* AD VR 7tx

TSR 2 21* AD IZ 7s

T100 4-5 Project X LZ

680MB 6-P Project X LZ

MG3 54 and 60

C&L CL2

I play in the south too, had SM5's big a wear spot starting to show up on my 50 and 56, 60 just kinda looked knicked up but not bad. I practice 5-6 times per weeks and probably play 36 holes a week total. I didn't think my old ones were too bad, recently got some SM7's and it's like playoff a different sport. Control of trajectory is the main thing difference I see. I didn't realize I had lost he ability to keep the ball low on partial swing shots from inside 100yds. I told my club guy to never let me go more than 1 year again, too much difference

Sounds like you practice and play more than op though

• 9 months later...

I'll throw another curve out. I have some CG15's and a 60* that's a TM xFT with a pretty fresh face. What would I gain in a set of new wedges?

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

Vokey has videos hinting that based on average practice most players should replace their wedges every 75 rounds or so.

I play about 100 rounds per year and average two days a week or so of practice.

To keep the performance I'm looking for I start each year with new wedges and replace them mid-season, so two total sets a year.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

You aren't likely to see much change in scoring so it's really about your wallet, TBH.

A new set of wedges might cost $450. If that's nothing for you, then do it once a year or more. That said, most players can play for at least a couple years with wedges and never see the wear on the wedge negatively impact their actual scoring.

You might also consider whether your practice involves mats or turf and whether that turf is overly sandy.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I am Midwest and play a similar amount. We top dress heavily in the spring and that chews up so I rotate every year but wait for the topdress sand to be gone before putting fresh ones in. Usually every May. I would say annually but looking @ WITB the bag pics it seems like a lot of top 50 tour pros will play a wedge for 12 months of more which seems crazy for the amount they play/practice.

> @nickjallos said:

> I am Midwest and play a similar amount. We top dress heavily in the spring and that chews up so I rotate every year but wait for the topdress sand to be gone before putting fresh ones in. Usually every May. I would say annually but looking @ WITB the bag pics it seems like a lot of top 50 tour pros will play a wedge for 12 months of more which seems crazy for the amount they play/practice.

For what it's worth, Titleist claims Spieth puts a new lob wedge in "every couple events," I assume that's true.

Also, the two Champions Tour players I know personally swap gap wedges two to three times a season, and sand and lob wedges four or five times depending on their level of play and course conditions.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Definitely think course conditions carry the most weight here. Chicagoland courses to me really aren't that sandy and are very soft most of the year - so I can get 2-3 seasons out of wedges easily.

I notice my equipment gets more wear from even a single Florida or Scottsdale golf trip, than nearly an entire season of play here in the Midwest.

> @G-Bone said:

> > @nickjallos said:

> > I am Midwest and play a similar amount. We top dress heavily in the spring and that chews up so I rotate every year but wait for the topdress sand to be gone before putting fresh ones in. Usually every May. I would say annually but looking @ WITB the bag pics it seems like a lot of top 50 tour pros will play a wedge for 12 months of more which seems crazy for the amount they play/practice.

>

> For what it's worth, Titleist claims Spieth puts a new lob wedge in "every couple events," I assume that's true.

>

> Also, the two Champions Tour players I know personally swap gap wedges two to three times a season, and sand and lob wedges four or five times depending on their level of play and course conditions.

>

It seems from Taylormade's social media, Rory and Rahm get new wedges every big event.

Not that I didn't believe you, I guess more just echo'ing what you said.

To OP question, probably more of a feel and performance thing more than anything. Wedges are a fun buy and can easily go into PGASS or GG and buy a new one every other time you walk in just for gits and shiggles. Rather than how many times you play, how many times do you hit the center cleanly in those rounds? Don't need to buy new wedges because of a worn out hossel. I've replaced only my 52 in the recent years because it is more of my full swing wedge and even some shots around the green. My 56 and 60 have their moments to shine. Sometimes I take out the HiToe just to get comfortable with it.

I also am aware that I seem to contradict myself with saying I have a HiToe since that is new. I never had a 60 before, 56 was my highest lofted club, but I took out a 2h to throw in the 60 and play. Was one of those fun, walk into PGASS buys.

I have superb luck buying Vokeys as new and close to home!! In last year mint 50f sm5 mint 54SM and mint 58s sm6 so thats my story! Ps cg15 are great im a huge Cleveland fan and love the original 588!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I wrestle with this too, especially when wedges cost $450 to replace. Every pro at my club regurgitates the OEM line of 75 rounds, and I am sure that's true. I cant say I notice much of a difference when I upgrade, which frustrates me to some degree. I usually get fresh wedges when the new Vokeys come out, which is a 2 year cycle. I think there is something to be said for the pros who regularly dime out a wear spot right in the center of the face, compared to me. Back when I practiced all the time it still took me years to wear out a sweet spot on my chrome vokey, lately I can't get out enough to wear out one part of the face in 2 years. I am going to start stretching it out. I also think as we play them and they do wear it, it is gradual and we adapt to it.

The dime says it all. I only wish I had “dimes” on my clubs ... but, alas...

Most amateurs can easily wait one or two club release cycles to replace and mostly for tech advances, not unacceptable groove wear.

Any pro or club salesman who blindly says “75 rounds” needs to also be replaced after 75 rounds. ;)

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW