Need family vacation ideas where I can sneak in some golf.

So I have one week in July to plan for a fast approaching vacation. My wife and 12 year old daughter don’t golf at all. I would like a place that would fully appeal to non golfer but have enough fairly nice golf that I can sneak in some rounds easily (ie decent number of courses in area so will be able to get in and out easily).



For various reasons, I am not planning for any California/Oregon/Colorado/Washington state or Chicago vacations. Also no Florida/Texas/AZ/ deep South (too hot for vacation!). And need to stay in Continental USA.



I’ve always liked the Idaho/Montana big sky country, but don’t know if they have lots of golf. Upper Midwest is scenic area with golf, but don’t know of exciting family destinations. Don’t really know much about northeast but seems like lots of city options, which wouldn’t make golf very easy.



Anyway, I’d love to hear any ideas. Thx!!
«1

Comments

  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,352 ✭✭
    Asheville?
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i


    Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • abergervtabergervt Members Posts: 196 ✭✭
    Tons of golf in the northeast dm me if you want some ideas. Great places in Vermont or New England with golf and other activities just depends what your looking for to keep them busy. Where are you from? Is nashville too far south?
  • KSPKSP Posts: 138 ✭✭
    abergervt wrote:
    Tons of golf in the northeast dm me if you want some ideas. Great places in Vermont or New England with golf and other activities just depends what your looking for to keep them busy. Where are you from? Is nashville too far south?




    Live in MO and we’ve been to Nashville a bunch of times already. Also been to gatlinburg a few times.



    I don’t really have any specific guidelines for family fun. Some outdoor activities, some indoor activities. Historic sights or nature scenery. Northeast seems interesting but don’t really know anything about it.
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput Members Posts: 1,421 ✭✭
    edited Jun 20, 2018 #5
    What is lots of golf and what do your wife and kids like to do? If you’re thinking National parks MT probably is not the place if you want to play golf.
  • BirdieRollBirdieRoll Posts: 356 ✭✭
    For July, I'd look at the Twin Cities. Maybe a cheap flight on Southwest from STL? Great golf town, both private and public. Booming restaurant/craft beer scene, the city lakes, music, sporting events, and of course the Mall of America (no tax on clothing, fyi).



    The MOA is five minutes from the airport and you could take light rail from the MOA to downtown Minneapolis if desired, using Uber for golf trips. Legends is a great track just 20 minutes southwest of MOA.



    You mentioned no Washington, but for a unique idea, I'd consider Chelan, WA. Great resort town on Lake Chelan. Hiking, zip lining, boating, wineries, nice little downtown, and about six golf courses in the area, Gamble Sands being the headliner. Dry heat.
  • GeezGeez Posts: 264 ✭✭
    I found Hilton Head to be the best vacation for family fun and golf. I was able to walk on as a single and play at a very reasonable rate. Palmetto Dunes was the course that I played twice. Condo on the beach for the wife and daughters.
    Titleist 917D2 Diamana
    Titleist 917 16.5 Diamana
    Titleist 915 21 Hybrid
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-GW 
    Vokey SM6 56
    Odyssey #7 
  • jwellefson1jwellefson1 Members Posts: 178 ✭✭
    The DC area has some decent courses in the burbs while having tons to do in terms of family things. Laurel Hill, Renditions, and Whiskey Creek are all really fun and are not more than an hour outside DC (barring any traffic disasters). Only issue is it gets pretty hot and humid in summer, today we have 100% humidity which sucks. Either way nice place and nice courses are around.
    Haikus are funny
    But they don't always make sense
    Refrigerator
  • StetsonStetson Members Posts: 2,438 ✭✭
    Based on criteria given I think Minneapolis is a great suggestion. Excluding a visit to the Mall of America it will be on the lower end of the cost spectrum, a short flight, cooler temperatures, lush golf courses and very family friendly



    Excluded places: California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Chicago
    Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
    3w: Ping G400 SFT (Tour AD Di)
    3H: Exotics EX10 19* (Tour AD DI)
    3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Motore Speeder TS)
    4-P: Bridgestone J40 CB (Steelfiber 110)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
    Putter: Ping Nome TR
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,028 ✭✭
    I dont think you mentioned budget, but here are two awesome options:



    The Greenbrier in WV would be perfect but it is expensive.



    The Sagamore at Lake George in NY state is another great American resort.



    Both have tons of activities, excellent dining options, and great golf. Your wife and daughter would have no problem staying happy and occupied while you play.
    USGA Index: ~2

    WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,398 ✭✭
    What about the Bass Pro lodge in the Ozarks? Branson is nearby. Courses on site.



    Also suggest Kiawah island and Hilton Head as suggested above.
  • TadWPJTadWPJ Unregistered Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Petoskey, MI. You have 3 small towns with Harbor Springs and Charleviox all around little traverse bay. Harbor Springs in the summer is wealthier then Chicago and Detroit combined yet affordable for average family. One of the most beautiful places on earth. I have gone 3 years in a row with my extended family. Guys play golf in morning and do stuff with family the whole afternoon. A bike trail of up to 20 miles all along the lake is awesome.
  • ryu123ryu123 Members Posts: 488 ✭✭
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho is a pleasant town on the lake, with two fine public courses: the Resort course and Circling Raven (Worley, 30 minutes south). Lots of water activities for the family.
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal Posts: 153 ✭✭
    edited Jun 21, 2018 #14
    KSP wrote:

    abergervt wrote:
    Tons of golf in the northeast dm me if you want some ideas. Great places in Vermont or New England with golf and other activities just depends what your looking for to keep them busy. Where are you from? Is nashville too far south?




    Live in MO and we’ve been to Nashville a bunch of times already. Also been to gatlinburg a few times.



    I don’t really have any specific guidelines for family fun. Some outdoor activities, some indoor activities. Historic sights or nature scenery. Northeast seems interesting but don’t really know anything about it.




    If you want history, it's hard to beat Boston. It's really a great city in general (as long as you don't want to drive, but luckily you don't have to as a tourist, it's a great walking city). Everyone in this country should walk the Freedom Trail at least once in their life. Museum of Science, the Children's Museum, and the New England Aquarium are great for indoor days. The Duck Boats tour is a great take as well. Parks up the wazoo for a little nature. The Swan Boats on Boston Common are also a great take. Absolutely amazing restaurants, especially the old school Italian places in the North End.



    And right in the city, an easy train or Uber ride away, is one of Donald Ross' hidden gems, George Wright Golf Course. It was built in the late 1930's as a post-Depression WPA project. It's considered one of the best examples of Ross' design, incorporating all the elements he is most famous for. It's very well maintained, and a muni to boot, so it will only cost you about $40 on a weekday, and either $45 or $50 on a weekend. He also designed 27 of the 36 holes at Ponkapoag Golf Course just outside the city, but that course is not particularly well maintained, and they're not the classic design that GW is. Of course, they're also dirt cheap ($28 for 18 on a weekday, $35 on a weekend), and great beginners courses if anyone else in the family wants to pick up the sticks and give it a shot.



    There's a lot of other good courses easily accessible from the city (Granite Links in Quincy, just outside Boston, is an amazing complex, as is Pinehills in Plymouth, about an hour south of the city, with plenty of stuff for the rest of the family to do and some of the best restaurants you'll find anywhere), but if you can't get a tee time at The Country Club, George Wright is like playing a piece of history.
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Driver: Callaway Epic 3+ FW (12.5*)[/font]
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 (16*) and 5 (20*)[/font]
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Irons: Edel SLS-01 4-9[/font]
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Wedges: Edel SLS-01 (GW 50, SW 55)
    Cleveland RTX-3 2 dot (LW 58)
    Putter: Odyssey 3-ball[/font]
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,120 ✭✭
    Cape Cod, MA.
  • TadWPJTadWPJ Unregistered Posts: 292 ✭✭
    TadWPJ wrote:


    Petoskey, MI. You have 3 small towns with Harbor Springs and Charleviox all around little traverse bay. Harbor Springs in the summer is wealthier then Chicago and Detroit combined yet affordable for average family. One of the most beautiful places on earth. I have gone 3 years in a row with my extended family. Guys play golf in morning and do stuff with family the whole afternoon. A bike trail of up to 20 miles all along the lake is awesome.




    I forgot to add the courses. You have the great Golden Age Belvedere. You have 5-10 Boyne courses, with Donald Ross Memorial being one. The golf is very solid.



    The other place to go is Marquette, MI that has a daily flights from Detroit, Chicago, and Minneapolis. Greywalls you can play 4 times in a row and be blown away. I'll be there Aug 4/5th. Marquette has a University and a happening downtown. Pictured rocks is 45 mins away. kayaking is awesome there.
  • bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,228 ✭✭
    I'd suggest Traverse City, MI. Beautiful weather this time of year. Gorgeous golf, amazing views, waterfront, excellent golf and some of the best food around. The only issue is that it is a tourist area so if you will be there on the weekend it will be busy, if you can golf during the week, you'll be pleased.
    Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep 14.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 22*
    Maltby DBM 4-PW w. PX LZ 6.0
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58*
    Taylormade TP Mullen
    Callaway Hex Tour Soft
  • KSPKSP Posts: 138 ✭✭
    What about the Bass Pro lodge in the Ozarks? Branson is nearby. Courses on site.



    Also suggest Kiawah island and Hilton Head as suggested above.




    Wife doesn’t like Branson at all. We’ve been there a few times, so unfortunately this easy option is no good. SC is interesting. Also greenbrier sounds interesting
  • KSPKSP Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Northern MI has always appealed to me. I grew up in Chicago suburbs and went to bounce Mountain as a teen to ski once. I don’t remember much, but I’ve seen lots of nice pics about this beautiful area. My main question is the hassle to get there from St Louis Airport.
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,398 ✭✭
    KSP wrote:

    What about the Bass Pro lodge in the Ozarks? Branson is nearby. Courses on site.



    Also suggest Kiawah island and Hilton Head as suggested above.




    Wife doesn’t like Branson at all. We’ve been there a few times, so unfortunately this easy option is no good. SC is interesting. Also greenbrier sounds interesting




    Hadn’t thought of Greenbrier, good option to have.
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,682 ✭✭
    edited Jun 21, 2018 #21
    I will chime in on Montana as you should go there image/nyam.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nyam:' />



    Fly into Missoula or Spokane as they normally have the best flights, then go and stay in Whitefish for a 4-5 days. It will be a drive of about 3.0 hours to Whitefish but picturesque areas along the way *Both cities usually have the best flight aspects...unless you catch a killer price to Kalispell which in the summer can be hard...plus saves funds for GOLF



    Wife/Kid: Flathead Lake is excellent if you like water activities. Paddle boarding, Kayaks, Boating...etc. Then you have Glacier park... well its Glacier...!!! Amazing place. Lots of hiking and things to see. Do highway to the sun to visitor center then do the easy hike up to Hidden Lake at the visitor center. Whitefish as a whole is very low key and a lot of things to do around it. Big Mountain has a ton of summer things to do also.



    Whitefish is a great place in general.



    NOW The real key.... Golf. There great golf courses in the area.



    I get up early and play a 6:30am round during the week and I can fly around the course. That way I am back to do family aspects. Google the links below and you will be happy...



    Wilderness Club https://wildernessclubmontana.com/ (A top play but 45/50 mins up the road in Eureka...fully worth the drive though!!)

    Indian Springs Ranch https://www.indianspringsmontana.com/ (Good track so could make a full day)

    Iron Horse https://ironhorsegolfclub.com/ (In Whitefish and private but if call and can get on normally...or have during the week...tough based on demand)

    Northern Pines http://northernpines...golfclub.com/ (In Whitefish and top rated in the area)

    Eagle Bend Golf https://eaglebendgolfclub.com/ (Bigfork Mt but well worth playing)



    Will note... Montana is HUGE and spread out. You will have to drive 20-50 mins to get to some of the courses...heck drive to get anywhere LOL. Just how it is.

    Not a lot of traffic so easy drives and scenic,



    Edit: hit post before finishing links...
  • jli2636jli2636 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭
    I think a lot depends on budget and what kind of other activities do you want. If you want more outdoors stuff then heading west might be better. Historical sites pretty hard to beat the Northeast or DC. French Lick is another option that would only be a 3 1/2 hour drive from St. Louis. Being from the Chicago burbs, don’t know if Milwaukee/Kohler fits the bill either.
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Taking a family trip next week to Oglebay, WV. Lots of stuff for the kids to do, three courses. Not too expensive. Nemacolin is another family resort with great activities and great golf but significantly more expensive. There must be similar options closer to MO.
  • mckennwamckennwa Members Posts: 640 ✭✭
    Wisconsin Dells. Don’t miss Wild Rock golf club.
  • mallratmallrat Members Posts: 2,879 ✭✭
    Curious why is Oregon out?



    Bend in the summer is absolutely amazing and the wife and daughter would have a blast. From floating on the river, hiking, paddle boarding, mountain biking there is a TON to do. You can stay at a resort or in town for a very reasonable price.
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,352 ✭✭
    “California/Oregon/Colorado/Washington state “







    States with legal recreational herbs
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i


    Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • TadWPJTadWPJ Unregistered Posts: 292 ✭✭
    KSP wrote:


    Northern MI has always appealed to me. I grew up in Chicago suburbs and went to bounce Mountain as a teen to ski once. I don’t remember much, but I’ve seen lots of nice pics about this beautiful area. My main question is the hassle to get there from St Louis Airport.




    Traverse City and Marquette both have airports. Marquette (in UP) has direct flights daily from Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, and possibly Milwaukee). I'm sure Traverse city has direct flight from Detroit and Chicago and probably other markets.
  • homergolfhomergolf Bay Village, OHMembers Posts: 1,676 ✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:


    I dont think you mentioned budget, but here are two awesome options:



    The Greenbrier in WV would be perfect but it is expensive.



    The Sagamore at Lake George in NY state is another great American resort.



    Both have tons of activities, excellent dining options, and great golf. Your wife and daughter would have no problem staying happy and occupied while you play.




    One of my family’s favorite vacations was Greenbriar. My son and I got a round in while my wife and 3 daughters had high tea and swam. Great time!



    Another thought along similar lines is Nemacolin in PA. Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Waters is close by. Somewhat less pricey is Olgebay in WV.
    Ping G400, 9, adjusted to 10
    Epic Flash 3-wood, 15
    Rogue 5-wood, 19
    Epic 4 hybrid, 23
    AP3, 5-48*
    SM6 54, 10
    SM6 60, 8
    SC GoLo 3, 33"

    ...for now
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,028 ✭✭
    homergolf wrote:

    dpb5031 wrote:


    I dont think you mentioned budget, but here are two awesome options:



    The Greenbrier in WV would be perfect but it is expensive.



    The Sagamore at Lake George in NY state is another great American resort.



    Both have tons of activities, excellent dining options, and great golf. Your wife and daughter would have no problem staying happy and occupied while you play.




    One of my family’s favorite vacations was Greenbriar. My son and I got a round in while my wife and 3 daughters had high tea and swam. Great time!



    Another thought along similar lines is Nemacolin in PA. Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Waters is close by. Somewhat less pricey is Olgebay in WV.




    Nemacolin Woodlands Resort is a very cool place as well. The Mystic Rock course is really good and there are all kinds of other fun activities for the family and exceptional dining.
    USGA Index: ~2

    WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 720 ✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:

    homergolf wrote:

    dpb5031 wrote:


    I dont think you mentioned budget, but here are two awesome options:



    The Greenbrier in WV would be perfect but it is expensive.



    The Sagamore at Lake George in NY state is another great American resort.



    Both have tons of activities, excellent dining options, and great golf. Your wife and daughter would have no problem staying happy and occupied while you play.




    One of my family’s favorite vacations was Greenbriar. My son and I got a round in while my wife and 3 daughters had high tea and swam. Great time!



    Another thought along similar lines is Nemacolin in PA. Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Waters is close by. Somewhat less pricey is Olgebay in WV.




    Nemacolin Woodlands Resort is a very cool place as well. The Mystic Rock course is really good and there are all kinds of other fun activities for the family and exceptional dining.




    I already voted once for Nemacolin, but it really is something. Joe Hardy has dumped truckloads of money on the place. The restrooms on course would not be out of place in a very nice hotel. The new Pete Dye course, Shepherd's Rock, is entertaining as well, and the practice facilities are quite good. But if price is a consideration, check out Oglebay too. My daughters are psyched, horseback riding, ziplining, blah blah blah.
  • Jose c.Jose c. Members Posts: 195 ✭✭
    I would second Petoskey,could do a day trip to Mackinac island. Great courses all around with beautiful coastal towns up and down the coast. Something special about the great lakes.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.