Odyssey O Works speed control

2»

Comments

• burritos4breakfastburritos4breakfast Members Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited Jul 26, 2018 #32
    put my red #7 in play for the 1st time and had my best round putting putting last week. i like it
  • puttsandpimsputtsandpims Members Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Played my 7 tank (38) and had the best putting round of my life coming off Scotty Newport 2 for the past 5 seasons. To each their own
  • OffTheDoleOffTheDole Florida golfer Members Posts: 340 ✭✭
    Just picked up a Ping Anser Sigma G to replace my V-Fang CH after having yet another day where I struggled to find decent distance control. As others said, the line is great but the insert feels randomly hard and soft on putts longer than 10 feet.
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,069 ClubWRX
    Been searching all Odyssey putters and inserts for the one that suits me best. Thought I had it with a White Hot XG #7, until I tried the White Hot Pro #1. Perfect. Each Odyssey insert is different and so is each model. Plenty to experiment with and have some fun. Oh length does matter, at least for me. 36" is a perfect, back-saving length. I think Ray Floyd used a 38" putter for the same reason.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    PING G25 blue dot, 5-L, graphite reg
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips[/size][/font][/font][/size]
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 924 ✭✭
    Have a 1w on the way, will report back
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
    A shoe for every foot, this is the exact putter I was hoping for, I think I’m a “ no arc” putter, which of course I am not really, this putter holds square with some limited arc and flow, but squares at contact nicely. I did not notice a loss of distance control. I love the address shape and design.

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
  • OffTheDoleOffTheDole Florida golfer Members Posts: 340 ✭✭

A shoe for every foot, this is the exact putter I was hoping for, I think I’m a “ no arc” putter, which of course I am not really, this putter holds square with some limited arc and flow, but squares at contact nicely. I did not notice a loss of distance control. I love the address shape and design.

Alignment and short putts were money with the V-Fang for me, which was good since I would leave myself with longer-than-hoped-for lengths to clean up long putts.

I returned the Anser Sigma G and bought a Toulon Portland. The shape is the same as the V-Fang but it's a solid, milled steel head. So far so good!
  • hd.softailhd.softail Members Posts: 471 ✭✭
    There are enough microhinge in use on all tours to tell me there isn't some massive defect. It's a non issue for me...
  • Webs3BWebs3B Members Posts: 87 ✭✭
    The O works to me is amazing and I have the best speed control I have ever had. Plenty of guys are winning on tour with it so its a proven winner.
    2 nd round with red #1 Wide. Better than average for me, filled the need for something more stable 3-7 foot range, again very happy, several one puts, played under handicap
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
  • Lefty96Lefty96 Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Took my newly purchased #9 out today for the first time. I had a little trouble with feel for the first 6 or 7 holes but by the back nine I was perfectly fine. I dont know if it was the putter change or if it just took me that long to adjust to the greens as I had never played the course before. All in all I'm very happy with the putter. I dont think I missed my line all day. The paint makes me feel very confident I'm lined up where I want to be. And by the back nine my touch was as good as my previous putter so you wont hear any complaints about the oworks from this guy.
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 9*/Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
    XR 16 15* 3w/fukijura 565 Stiff
    Adams Red 18*/Matrix altus Stiff
    4-PW 718 AP3/AMT tour white Stiff
    50* cleveland RTX 2.0 (10* bounce)
    56* cleveland RTX 2.0 (12* bounce)
    60* cleveland RTX 2.0 (6* bounce)
    Odyssey O-Works #9 with Garsen Ultimate grip
  • rocket500rocket500 Members Posts: 147
    I’m a whiz with mine. If you’re struggling with the insert have you been fitted for your putter? I had mine bent to 1* loft (from 5*) to match my stroke and the improvement in my roll was remarkable. This in turn improved my distance control. No more bouncing and skidding on longer putts.
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Obviously different inserts and face millings feel different and have different rebound characteristics, with some matching up better than others for a certain person. But... when people say a certain face was so soft/hard/muted/whatever they lost all feel for distance control, it always makes me think...

You don't judge distance while making contact with the ball, do you? By the time the club meets the ball, the the distance the ball is going has already been decided. No going back from there regardless of what the face feels like.

P.S. I think finding your ideal weight, loft and length of putter are the most important for distance control. What a putter feels like is just for... feel. image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />

P.P.S. this is just for friendly conversation, I'm not looking to pick a fight with anyone. image/happy.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':happy:' />