Masters Tickets

Comments

• mattw387mattw387 Members Posts: 156 ✭✭
    garrifij wrote:

Finally, after 10 years of trying - 2 tickets for Friday! I guess I better book the hotel stay now before it fills up. I know it's not a great area, but does anyone with experience have suggestions for a nice 3'ish star hotel that you'd recommend?

In Augusta or just outside? Where will you be coming from (flying into, driving from?). Rough budget? Feel free to PM me if you'd like..
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,502 ClubWRX
    garrifij wrote:

Finally, after 10 years of trying - 2 tickets for Friday! I guess I better book the hotel stay now before it fills up. I know it's not a great area, but does anyone with experience have suggestions for a nice 3'ish star hotel that you'd recommend?

If you want to stay anywhere in Augusta, expect to pay a lot for even a so-so hotel. We stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites (which after checking in we were referring to as the "Not So Quality Inn & Suites") very close to the course last year and I think it was like $400 a night. Some of the nicer hotels go for $6-800/night.

If you want it to be more affordable, stay somewhere 60-90 minutes away and make the drive into Augusta early AM.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • garrifijgarrifij Members Posts: 23 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 2, 2018 #64
    Just went ahead and booked the last Hilton property that was still available. It's only a few miles from the gates. They even accepted points....now I can spend even more money on merch!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • eddie_maxeddie_max Members Posts: 1,090 ✭✭
    One buddy hit 4 for Monday and another hit 2 for Thursday. None for me.
  • garrifijgarrifij Members Posts: 23 ClubWRX
    One final question: with Friday being a "one and done", I might want to add one more day (either Thursday or Saturday) to extend the experience a bit. Am I looking at buying it off a scalper for $1000+ each? Would it be better to purchase now? Sorry for the noob questions, I'll research more tonight but just wanted a quick primer.
  • chilllwavechilllwave Members Posts: 350 ✭✭
    One of my buddies got 4 for Wednesday and I'm going. I CANNOT WAIT.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway Epic 3W 15˚ - Aldila Rogue Max 75[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike Covert 3H - Kurokage 85 [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 4-UST Mamiya Recoil F3 95[/font]
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-KBS Tour V 110
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist 716 CB 6/7-KBS Tour V 110[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist 716 MB 8/9/P-KBS Tour V 110[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 - 50F, 55S, 59D[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura KM-007[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Jones Utility Bag[/font]
  • m_alcom_alco Rancho Cordova, CAMembers Posts: 340 ✭✭
    edited Jul 2, 2018 #68
    Got 4 for Wednesday! Been trying for the past 5 years or so. This year I told my wife after the tournament aired, "If I ever win tickets, I am going." And, now I am going! I am still in shock and disbelief.
  • Newbs24Newbs24 Members Posts: 129 ✭✭
    Got 4 for Tuesday... Going to be in Charleston the week before with my family for Spring Break.
  • jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 467 ClubWRX
    We regret...
    WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    5 Wood: 909 F2 18.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • sigvbsigvb Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly! Members Posts: 1,184 ✭✭
    sekrah wrote:

vernon wrote:

ezpz wrote:

rejected again, my new plan will be to win the powerball lotery and just buy masters tickets for 4k. Should give me a better chance of picking them up.
    Sound approach I say. Odds can't be much worse!

I think people are greatly exaggerating the odds. As you can see from the thread, people hit. It's probably about 10-1 to hit something if you put in for every day. That doesn't mean you can't go 15-20 years without winning though. Just keep trying.
    To clarify, I'm only speaking to "my" odds. Not those afforded the rest of civilization.........

I will, however, continue to submit an entry each and every year primarily due to the fact that I seem to crave rejection and disappointment.

Plus, it might make for an interesting aside to my eulogy when I finally DO win in the months immediately following my DEATH!
  • FiveSixAceFiveSixAce Members Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    garrifij wrote:

Stayed here last year: http://augusta.eccosuites.com/

Redone semi-recently so not too shabby, beds were not the most comfortable but we didn't spend much time in in the room. SUPER close to the course.
  • j.b.newtonj.b.newton Members Posts: 596 ✭✭
    edited Jul 3, 2018 #74
    ddetts wrote:

garrifij wrote:

If you want to stay anywhere in Augusta, expect to pay a lot for even a so-so hotel. We stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites (which after checking in we were referring to as the "Not So Quality Inn & Suites") very close to the course last year and I think it was like $400 a night. Some of the nicer hotels go for $6-800/night.

If you want it to be more affordable, stay somewhere 60-90 minutes away and make the drive into Augusta early AM.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Thomson... they messed up last year and never changed their cost paying with points. We got 2 nights for the equivalent of $200...
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,502 ClubWRX
    j.b.newton wrote:

ddetts wrote:

garrifij wrote:

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Thomson... they messed up last year and never changed their cost paying with points. We got 2 nights for the equivalent of $200...

Wow, that's a huge win!

2 years ago, I had Monday tickets and stayed a Sunday night. I'm not sure if all places just don't up their rates until Monday night or what, but we stayed at the Clarion Inn & Suites right off Washington near the course for like $149 or something ridiculous.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DCMembers Posts: 1,705 ✭✭
    I got one of my friends to sign up for me this year and we got 3 Wednesday tickets!! I was able to go on Monday this past year. Unbelievable that I’m going back to back years!
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,694 ClubWRX
    They really don't regret.
    edited Jul 15, 2018 #78
    Not sending me an email right away when everyone else got theirs, waiting for me to check it out myself to find out I'd been rejected and then finally sending the rejection email days later just to rub it in seemed more than a little punitive - we didn't run, didn't yell after anyone's tee shot, we let people use our chairs while we were off elsewhere and bought lots of crap - Augusta you are a cruel mistress.
  • Congrats to the winners. Especially if it's your first time. No place like it.
  • kro88kro88 Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    in need of tickets for this year, is it safe to buy on Stubhub?
    Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 10 +1 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
    Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s
    Irons: Miura CB-1957 w/KBS Tour Stiff 3iron -1 flat, Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW -1 flat
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610, Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev, Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches, w tungsten powder in hosel, SS 3.0 grip
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1X
  • SixcatSixcat SWVAMembers Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    Fred Ridley's number one priority since becoming chairman is curbing the ticket scalping process. Buyer's and sellers beware!

https://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/03/27/masters-tickets-looking-buy-or-sell-pre-owned-tickets-buyers-and-sellers-beware
    Sixcat wrote:

Fred Ridley's number one priority since becoming chairman is curbing the ticket scalping process. Buyer's and sellers beware!

https://www.golf.com...-sellers-beware

That initiative was already under way before Fred, but no doubt it will continue. Don't see anything about it being his personal number one priority - link?

I think the course and improvements are always up there at the top.
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,460 ✭✭
    kro88 wrote:

in need of tickets for this year, is it safe to buy on Stubhub?

Safe, yes. Expensive, yes. Their fees will add a couple of hundred bucks to the quoted price of the tickets.
  • Canoe PaddlerCanoe Paddler Members Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Can anyone explain to me why the Masters committee is so concerned about the resale of tickets? It seems to me that the guys and gals willing to shell out top dollar for tickets are the most loyal golf fans out there. The type of fans that the Masters would be most interested in hosting.

Are they concerned that scalpers are profiting off of their product? Seems a little petty, but I suppose it’s their right to do so, but again, why punish the passionate golf fan who purchased the ticket?

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,229 ClubWRX

Can anyone explain to me why the Masters committee is so concerned about the resale of tickets? It seems to me that the guys and gals willing to shell out top dollar for tickets are the most loyal golf fans out there. The type of fans that the Masters would be most interested in hosting.

Are they concerned that scalpers are profiting off of their product? Seems a little petty, but I suppose it's their right to do so, but again, why punish the passionate golf fan who purchased the ticket?

They are trying to limit the people that will spare no expense and buy their way to a ticket. If it gets out of hand, there will be no real fans at the Masters. Yes, the Masters people have nothing but money, but to a certain extent they try not to show it when it comes to fan participation. They would rather have a fan with no money than a person there that has money and is just there because they "have" to be there for stroke their ego.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    edited Dec 28, 2018 #87

Are they concerned that scalpers are profiting off of their product? Seems a little petty, but I suppose it's their right to do so, but again, why punish the passionate golf fan who purchased the ticket?

They don't need scalped ticket sales to "host" patrons - people are going to attend.

I don't think it's petty to protect the integrity of their ticket sales system, lol. Aside from the tickets they make available to the general public, the badges are one of the most exclusive tickets around.

Ticket resale and scalping has become a lot bigger business than it used to be - if AN thinks that making tickets available to the general public is resulting in more abuse and profiteering than what they can tolerate I'd rather they tried to stop the practices than just decide that general public tickets aren't worth the hassle.

Forewarned is forearmed and rules are rules. I don't get people that think there is some "entitlement" to get around whatever rules they have in place.

That being said, we were happy to buy second hand tickets for Tuesday in 2016 and were confident we were dealing with a reputable "reseller". If I'm lucky enough to get selected again I guarantee I won't be selling my tickets on StubHub, etc. - I'll be going.
    Socrates wrote:

They are trying to limit the people that will spare no expense and buy their way to a ticket. If it gets out of hand, there will be no real fans at the Masters. Yes, the Masters people have nothing but money, but to a certain extent they try not to show it when it comes to fan participation. They would rather have a fan with no money than a person there that has money and is just there because they "have" to be there for stroke their ego.

How are people who buy second hand not “real fans” but the ones who were selected in the lottery are “real fans”.
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,229 ClubWRX
    edited Dec 28, 2018 #89

Socrates wrote:

How are people who buy second hand not "real fans" but the ones who were selected in the lottery are "real fans".

Try reading the post carefully. It seems to be the thing to be seen at events. They don't care how much it costs, they just go to be seen and could care less about the golf. At least with the Masters committee trying to prevent this as much as they can, they hope that they can get more tickets into the hands of people who feel fortunate to get tickets in the legitimate manner and will attend rather than try and profit from their good fortune.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

They don't need scalped ticket sales to "host" patrons - people are going to attend.

I don't think it's petty to protect the integrity of their ticket sales system, lol. Aside from the tickets they make available to the general public, the badges are one of the most exclusive tickets around.

Ticket resale and scalping has become a lot bigger business than it used to be - if AN thinks that making tickets available to the general public is resulting in more abuse and profiteering than what they can tolerate I'd rather they tried to stop the practices than just decide that general public tickets aren't worth the hassle.

Forewarned is forearmed and rules are rules. I don't get people that think there is some "entitlement" to get around whatever rules they have in place.

That being said, we were happy to buy second hand tickets for Tuesday in 2016 and were confident we were dealing with a reputable "reseller". If I'm lucky enough to get selected again I guarantee I won't be selling my tickets on StubHub, etc. - I'll be going.

So you would’ve been totally cool with the ticket agent in 2016 telling you that you weren’t allowed in the gates? If so, then more power to you. Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I just don’t get their strong stance on what seems like a pretty trivial issue.
    Socrates wrote:

Socrates wrote:

How are people who buy second hand not "real fans" but the ones who were selected in the lottery are "real fans".

Try reading the post carefully. It seems to be the thing to be seen at events. They don't care how much it costs, they just go to be seen and could care less about the golf. At least with the Masters committee trying to prevent this as much as they can, they hope that they can get more tickets into the hands of people who feel fortunate to get tickets in the legitimate manner and will attend rather than try and profit from their good fortune.

I did read it carefully. I still don’t understand your point. It seems like complete conjecture. I’ve been to the Masters twice (but not as a real fan). I’m not sure what you mean by people just trying to be seen. It’s probably the one of the most difficult sporting events to be seen at since there’s practically no cameras, phones, social media etc. My impression is that the people who were there wanted to watch golf.