Taylormade Pure Roll insert vs O Works micro hinge insert

arod314arod314 Posts: 155 ✭✭
edited Jun 24, 2018 in Putters #1
Anybody compare these 2 directly? Thoughts on distance control and alignment? Also if anybody has rolled both looking for comparisons between the Ardmore 2 vs odyssey 7. Thanks

Comments

• jasonp87jasonp87 Members Posts: 2,098 ClubWRX
    I much prefer the TM pure roll. Ive loved odysseys in the past. Their variations were always great...the micohinge just felt weird...very springy...like the ball was rocketing off the face. Felt hard for me to cobtrol distance.
    Driver
    TM M3 (8.5) Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 6X 45"
    3W
    TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
    5W
    TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
    3i
    TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
    Irons
    Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter
    TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR
  • jonr38632jonr38632 Members Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Have an Oworks 1w and spider tour L neck.

Odyssey - have it for a 6 months. In the store in rolled nice, as they all do, but on the course i could never get a good roll out of it. Two rolls for me on course (1) hit high on the face and go no where. It reminded me of hitting a skyed drive. (2) hit what i that was a solid put, but would immediatley bounce the first 2-3 feet.

Taylormade - rolled nice in the store and carried over to the course. My puts imediately start on a tight spiral. This is really the first putter i have ever had where i feel i have repeatable distance control. It feels so solid coming off the face, a definite thump feel.

I know these are two different putters and the TM has a high MOI, but wow. I have used more traditional anser style putters for years and this is my first mallet.
  • Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,818 ✭✭
    Tour usage would indicate the Odyssey putters are pretty solid.
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,343 ✭✭
    edited Jun 24, 2018 #5
    Odyssey all day long. I have tried multiple times to embrace the pure roll insert but it never works well for me. The pure roll insert feels harsh and clicky. The O Works feels sooo much better to be. Makes every putt feel like I’m using a balata ball.
  • canthitathreewoodcanthitathreewood Posts: 214 ✭✭
    I have used both TM Pure Roll and currently have an Odyssey 1W with the micro hinge insert in my bag. I would not recommend the Odyssey. Like Jon R said, hits even just slightly high of center come off dead, feel terrible, and go nowhere. The Pure Roll inserts feel and roll much better, and are more forgiving.
    Play Hard!
  • 2Bad4u2Bad4u Posts: 212

Why are we so interested as to what is popular on tour ???

These people are paid shills and have to use those products because it's in their contracts. Do people actually believe those TV ads showing contracted players tell us that their clubs are the best and we should use them to play better golf ???
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Pioneer Bag
    Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 R-Flex
    Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
    Ping G400 4h, 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex
    Ping G700 7-PW, UW, SW, Recoil 780 ES F3 SmacWrap
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]˚ & 64˚, Recoil 760 ES F3 SmacWrap[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Sigma G D66 | Sigma G Tyne Putters
    Snell MTB Black | MTB Red (Yellow), Golf Pride MCC+4 Grips
    Seamus Headcovers, Clicgear 3.5+ Cart, Leupold GX-4i2 Rangefinder [/font]
  • DWCobraJRDWCobraJR Posts: 536 ✭✭
    Main difference to me is feel. Pure roll is clicky, o-works is much softer. Neither is better than the other it’s just different. The o-works I believe puts a better roll on the ball, but that’s just my eye.
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 3,958 ClubWRX
    Just traded a 2 ball O works in for a Spider tour red. The O works got the ball rolling well, and early so it seemed to stay online. I opted for the Spider Red because distance control seems to be much more consistent with it... the O works feels good when hit out of the center but anywhere else and there was no telling how long or short it was going to be... If I miss the Spider heel or toe it seems to still get to the vicinity of the hole, it's just more consistent for me. I did not really like the DJ spider as much, distance control with that one was all over the place, just felt too firm. I can't speak to any of the other TM insert putters but the Spider Red has been really good. Not to say the O works is bad at all, it's probably my favorite Odyssey insert yet. This will all come down to YOU.
    Ping G400 9* Proforce V2 66s
    Taylormade M2 15* Proforce V2 66s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Srixon Z745 4-P PX 5.5 Flighted
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • bird_4_3bird_4_3 Members Posts: 594 ✭✭
    Have TM irons, wedges, driver and woods in my bag. Only my hybrids and putter are not TM. I have an O works and I think it is the best putter out there. Super consistent.
    TM M4 w/ UST V2
    Epic 3
    Wishon 949 5 wood Oban Devotion
    Srixon U85 5-6 and 785 7-PW
    Odyssey O Works #7 Putter
    TM Milled Grid Wedges
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,211 ✭✭

I dont see a lot of micro hinge users though...........
    SLDR 460 8.5° - Rogue 60x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62- S300
    SC X7M - P2 Aware
    RZN Platinum
  • pjcpjc In The Middle Posts: 593 ✭✭

I dont see a lot of micro hinge users though...........

Exactly! Most use some form of the white hot pro insert even if the putter head is a newer model, true even on the Ladies Tour's.
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Srixon Z-TX 10.5* OG MRC Diamana BB 63 S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Maltby UFW 15* MPF Pro Series FWY S [/font]
    [font="Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif"]Maltby UFW 18* MPF Pro Series FWY S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW Nippon 1050GH S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Bridgestone J15 forged 51* Nippon 1050GH S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Bridgestone J15 forged 56* DG Spinner[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie black[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Srixon Z-STAR[/font]
  • Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,733 ✭✭
    Love the shape of the #7 black o works, but it is just so **** light. Like crazy light
    Taylormade M4 9.5 (set to 7.5) Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    3w — undecided
    Taylormade 790 UDI 2 iron Tensei Pro White 90tx
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 35” navy with true path alignment
  • 2Bad4u2Bad4u Posts: 212
    Kale_m wrote:

Love the shape of the #7 black o works, but it is just so **** light. Like crazy light

If you would like a heavier version of the #7 the EXO Seven was made for you.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Pioneer Bag
    Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 R-Flex
    Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
    Ping G400 4h, 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex
    Ping G700 7-PW, UW, SW, Recoil 780 ES F3 SmacWrap
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]˚ & 64˚, Recoil 760 ES F3 SmacWrap[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Sigma G D66 | Sigma G Tyne Putters
    Snell MTB Black | MTB Red (Yellow), Golf Pride MCC+4 Grips
    Seamus Headcovers, Clicgear 3.5+ Cart, Leupold GX-4i2 Rangefinder [/font]
  • RonnieoRonnieo Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Love the O-works but it did take me a while to get use to the soft feel especially on longer putts.
  • LONGBALL777LONGBALL777 Posts: 103 ✭✭
    This thread proves that putting is all about feel. The Odyssey all the way for me. Love the feel, and hated the TM, which I expected to buy.
  • jtitleist12jtitleist12 Members Posts: 2,970 ✭✭
    I have used both and IMO, if you want a putter that puts a nice end over end roll with putts starting more online, go with the TM PureRoll. If you want the putter to feel soft, go with the Odyssey micro hinge.

- Josh
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,169 ✭✭
    arod314 wrote:

Anybody compare these 2 directly? Thoughts on distance control and alignment? Also if anybody has rolled both looking for comparisons between the Ardmore 2 vs odyssey 7. Thanks

I have gamed the pure roll with he spider tour and the o works with the #1. They feel TOTALLY different to me, almost polar opposites honestly. The pure roll felt... hollow and kind of dead. Sound was not pleasant. Distance control was an issue and I came up short a lot. I come up short a lot with inserts in general but especially short with this one. Might be nice on fast greens. The O works insert was completely different, it felt very "bouncey" and lively. Center strikes seemed to go further than I intended while miss-hits suffered a lot (which is kind of expected). With that putter I was often hitting putts much too far, and might be better for slower greens.

Overall if I HAD to game one over the other, O works all day. The pure roll insert for me, was not good. Sold it almost immediately.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• NorthMNgolferNorthMNgolfer ClubWRX Posts: 301
    I prefer the Micro Hinge. I can get the ball rolling much quicker then I could with the Pure Roll insert. Tried tons of putters in multiple heads shapes with both inserts both in store and on the course. I used to think the Odyssey inserts were too soft and didn't really care for them as I just could not control the distance with them. But that changed with the O-Works line for me.
    My Current Bag.

Callaway Rouge 9* - HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 65
    Taylormade M1 3 HL Wood - HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 75
    Taylormade GAPR 2 - HZRDUS Black 6.0 85
    Taylormade M1 4h -
    Ping i25 Irons - 5-PW
    Taylormade Hi Toe 50*
    Taylormade Hi Toe 56*
    Taylormade Hi Tow 60*
    Odyssey O-Works Red #1 Wide S - Flat Cat Tak
  • KaBoom21KaBoom21 Members Posts: 1,570
    Pure Roll distance control is phenomenal for me.
  • joliver233joliver233 Posts: 309 ✭✭
    I much prefer the pure roll on the tm putters. Micro hinge is too soft and I don’t like the feel as much as I don’t really feel much on contact. There’s very little feedback for me. With the pure roll, I get better feedback and like the louder sound and firmer feel in general.
    WITB:

D: 9* G400 LST w/Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05/X
    3W: 14.5* Cobra F8+ w/Even Flow Blue X
    Irons: 716 AP2 3-PW w/KBS C-Taper S+
    Wedges: 50* SM6; 54*, 58* SM7 w/DG s400
    Putter: TM Spider Tour Black w/t sightline
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • The new White Hot Microhinge is a vast improvement over the previous O-Works microhinge. A few of the guys I know that are deep in the putter business actually talked about how, while the original microhinge insert got the ball rolling very quickly, the small hinges would actually make odd contact with the dimples on the golf ball and sometimes cause putts to go offline. I think this is a reason why (whether conscious or subconscious) you didn't see them sticking around long in Pro's bags. 

The new insert has larger hinges and a flatter overall face to prevent this from happening, and you can see much more widespread adoption of the new putters. 
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer