Dear Titleist:

2over2over Posts: 179 ✭✭
Dear Titleist:

I've never really told you how I feel about you... uh, er, about your drivers. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve or emote all that much. I could, maybe, communicate better and no doubt, it would improve our relationship. But to put it simply: I love you, uh, er, your drivers (your irons, not so much, but that's another letter, for another time). I haven't always been faithful to you, I admit. I've had some flings where I've carried on, sometimes for years, behind your back, with flashier, sexier, longer models. But I keep crawling back, chastened, to my (if not first at least my longest/strongest) love. So I'll pour out my heart now, and confess why I'll open up my wallet again in the fall and get one of those TS3 thingies you are teasing me with...

I've played a lot of different drivers (been playing for nearly 50 years, started with persimmon--a Hogan, not one of yours. Did you make drivers in the '70s? I can't remember. That was a long time ago. We were both different then). Anyway, I got to scratch for a bit in my late 30's, thanks in part to your drivers and golf balls. Those were good times. Now, in my mid 50's, I'm still a low single digit HC who laments the roughly 10 mph loss of clubhead speed that was a not so happy over-50 birthday present from I don't know who? Father Time? I hate that guy). The original Big Bertha was my first falling away from you. It was a big advance from anything else you had on offer (DCI Starship?). But your 975D knocked that Cally right out of the bag and won me back. I dallied with a Tour Edge for a few years in the early 00s that I liked--it made me feel young again. But your 915D3 had me crawling back, saying "Sorry!", knocking a pretty **** Tour Issue R1 out of the bag). Had a brief flirtation with the Callaway Epic Sub Zero two years ago (but my 24 year old son stole it away from me, which was awkward).

Anyway: why have I strayed but returned to your fold for the best part of the last 25 years, Titleist? I've always been able to find a a driver from one of your myriad competitors that's a little longer (up to 5-8 yards carry--still hit the R1 about 5 yards farther than your 915D3 on a solid hit). But I always come back to Titleist drivers because they always look clean and classic and great to my eye (like those Mizzy MP-33s that you really need to try harder to copy). So, yeah, like most guys, I'm shallow! Looks are really important to me. There. I said it. Looks inspire confidence, which usually leads to control. And I'm a bit of a control freak, I confess. The Titleist drivers I've played have always hit my expected trajectory window without any surprises--I feel like I know where the ball is going on the tee box which, to quote MasterCard: priceless. Titleist drivers have most reliably of any kept me in the fairway more often than your (sometimes sexier and longer) competitors. My scores are usually lower, too. Forgiveness is next--slight mishits with the 915D3 are so much less punishing in distance/line than the TM R1 and M3 for me). And I like the sound/feel--not too loud, not too mushy, and not as dead/clicky/harsh as the TMs I've tried hard to like. The Titleist sound/feel has for me always been a better match with my Mizzys. Baby bear. Just right. I have hit a friend's 917D3 and it is bit quieter, which I do like. But the grey? That was a miss. Black is your best color. If the TS3 is black and continues that slightly more muted sound, I will be very pleased. Plus, Titleist stock shaft offerings have been very good the last 2 models, and the price is fair for what you get.

So Titleist, I think you've got me with this TS3 thing. That looks like it could see me through to my sunset years. You've never put out the latest, greatest, tech-iest, longest, jail-break-iest, twist-face-iest, most eye catching drivers. But thank you that you've also never put out any two-tone painted, or white drivers, or any with green "speed lines" or visible carbon fiber crowns. Thank you, thank you, Titleist for never doing that to us! You never been the fastest driver around, ball speed-wise, but that's OK. As long as you're within a couple MPH of the others, I'll be true. So don't read all the other letters about how you need to up your game and quit being so steady, classic, restrained, and muted. As they say: "Don't go changing'/ to try and please me/ we never would have come this far.../ I love you just the way you are..."

XOXO

Anxious in Asheville

Comments

• shivasishivasi ClubWRX Posts: 180 ✭✭
    Your cable go out?

LOL,

Ken S
  • shaunGshaunG Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    What the f***?...
  • mgholdamgholda Tour Issues Indianapolis, INPosts: 750 ✭✭
    Kind of like a Dear Penthouse letter, but without the good parts.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
    Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
    Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
    Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
    Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
    Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members Posts: 1,804 ✭✭
    Something to be said for not allowing grandad on the computer.
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    Actually very well written.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,167 ✭✭
    Wow. I feel exactly the same way. That’s one **** of a novel my friend. LOL!! ; )

Seriously OG Member # 1485 with 154 posts in 13 years just decides to let it rip. Nice.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • MMB1500MMB1500 Members Posts: 6,312 ✭✭
    Is there a Cliffs Notes version of this?
  • nogamejamesnogamejames Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭

Wow. I feel exactly the same way. That’s one **** of a novel my friend. LOL!! ; )

Seriously OG Member # 1485 with 154 posts in 13 years just decides to let it rip. Nice.

I'M MAD AS **** AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! at titleist because of a driver I saw on TV and a grainy photo on here.

I appreciate the OP's restraint for 13 years and that amount of posts is impressive.
    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
    3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
    4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
    4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
    5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
    50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
    Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,833 ✭✭
    TM not hug you enough? image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,818 ✭✭
    2over wrote:

Dear Titleist:

I've never really told you how I feel about you... uh, er, about your drivers. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve or emote all that much. I could, maybe, communicate better and no doubt, it would improve our relationship. But to put it simply: I love you, uh, er, your drivers (your irons, not so much, but that's another letter, for another time). I haven't always been faithful to you, I admit. I've had some flings where I've carried on, sometimes for years, behind your back, with flashier, sexier, longer models. But I keep crawling back, chastened, to my (if not first at least my longest/strongest) love. So I'll pour out my heart now, and confess why I'll open up my wallet again in the fall and get one of those TS3 thingies you are teasing me with...

I've played a lot of different drivers (been playing for nearly 50 years, started with persimmon--a Hogan, not one of yours. Did you make drivers in the '70s? I can't remember. That was a long time ago. We were both different then). Anyway, I got to scratch for a bit in my late 30's, thanks in part to your drivers and golf balls. Those were good times. Now, in my mid 50's, I'm still a low single digit HC who laments the roughly 10 mph loss of clubhead speed that was a not so happy over-50 birthday present from I don't know who? Father Time? I hate that guy). The original Big Bertha was my first falling away from you. It was a big advance from anything else you had on offer (DCI Starship?). But your 975D knocked that Cally right out of the bag and won me back. I dallied with a Tour Edge for a few years in the early 00s that I liked--it made me feel young again. But your 915D3 had me crawling back, saying "Sorry!", knocking a pretty **** Tour Issue R1 out of the bag). Had a brief flirtation with the Callaway Epic Sub Zero two years ago (but my 24 year old son stole it away from me, which was awkward).

Anyway: why have I strayed but returned to your fold for the best part of the last 25 years, Titleist? I've always been able to find a a driver from one of your myriad competitors that's a little longer (up to 5-8 yards carry--still hit the R1 about 5 yards farther than your 915D3 on a solid hit). But I always come back to Titleist drivers because they always look clean and classic and great to my eye (like those Mizzy MP-33s that you really need to try harder to copy). So, yeah, like most guys, I'm shallow! Looks are really important to me. There. I said it. Looks inspire confidence, which usually leads to control. And I'm a bit of a control freak, I confess. The Titleist drivers I've played have always hit my expected trajectory window without any surprises--I feel like I know where the ball is going on the tee box which, to quote MasterCard: priceless. Titleist drivers have most reliably of any kept me in the fairway more often than your (sometimes sexier and longer) competitors. My scores are usually lower, too. Forgiveness is next--slight mishits with the 915D3 are so much less punishing in distance/line than the TM R1 and M3 for me). And I like the sound/feel--not too loud, not too mushy, and not as dead/clicky/harsh as the TMs I've tried hard to like. The Titleist sound/feel has for me always been a better match with my Mizzys. Baby bear. Just right. I have hit a friend's 917D3 and it is bit quieter, which I do like. But the grey? That was a miss. Black is your best color. If the TS3 is black and continues that slightly more muted sound, I will be very pleased. Plus, Titleist stock shaft offerings have been very good the last 2 models, and the price is fair for what you get.

So Titleist, I think you've got me with this TS3 thing. That looks like it could see me through to my sunset years. You've never put out the latest, greatest, tech-iest, longest, jail-break-iest, twist-face-iest, most eye catching drivers. But thank you that you've also never put out any two-tone painted, or white drivers, or any with green "speed lines" or visible carbon fiber crowns. Thank you, thank you, Titleist for never doing that to us! You never been the fastest driver around, ball speed-wise, but that's OK. As long as you're within a couple MPH of the others, I'll be true. So don't read all the other letters about how you need to up your game and quit being so steady, classic, restrained, and muted. As they say: "Don't go changing'/ to try and please me/ we never would have come this far.../ I love you just the way you are..."

XOXO

Anxious in Asheville

I still have a mint 975D with a Prolite if you get desperate !
  • chadillac65chadillac65 FloridaPosts: 311 ✭✭
    TM will always have Titleist in innovation on Drivers
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9* Mitshibishi Tensei Orange 60 TX 45.5 inches
    3 Wood: TaylorMade M4 15* Mitshibishi Tensei White 70 S tipped .5 inches 43.5 inches
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 17* Matrix Altus 85 S tipped .5 inch 40.5 inches
    Irons: TaylorMade P790 4-GW / Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedge: TaylorMade Mill Grind Raw 56* / DG S400 TaylorMade High Toe 60* / DG S400
    Putter: Evnroll ER9 35 inches
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,167 ✭✭

But Titleist will always have TM on looks, sound, shape, class, and forgiveness.

Uh-oh! Yes I did! It’s a Throw down TM fan boys!!

Go ahead.....I know....tell me all about ball speed and spin. Blah, blah blah. I’m a TM hater and I’m plugging my ears and singing now!! ; )
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • IcemanYVRIcemanYVR Amateur Vancouver, BCMembers Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
    I've got a 975D, 975J, 905T, 905R, 913D2, and 917D2... I'm not going anywhere.
    Titleist 905R 9.5° | Callaway Diable Octane Tour 15° | Callaway Hawkeye VFT 18° | Mizuno JPX-825 4-PW | Cleveland RTX-3 54 | Cleveland RTX-3 60 | Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Studio Select | Titleist PRO V1
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,587 ✭✭
    Someone either has too much time on their hands or has been hitting the bottle or BONG.. HARD.
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • cliffhangercliffhanger ClubWRX Posts: 1,739 ClubWRX
    edited Jun 24, 2018 #16
    is it strange that the moment i started to read this, i was hearing it in Morgan Freeman's voice?

(First full set from one OEM ever)
    Driver: M6 (10.5 deg) with Project X Smoke 60X playing at 45 inches
    3Wood: M6 (14 deg) with Project X Smoke 70X playing at 43 inches
    Hybrid: M6 #3 with KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95X
    4-GW: P760 with KBS Tour X (all bent 2 deg flat)
    HiToe Wedges: 56/10 and 60/10 (all bent 2 deg flat) with 2.0 hi-rev shafts
    Mullen 2 TP putter @ 34 inches (Several TM putters found their way home and I am currently in test mode)
    Undecided TP or TPx ball (testing to follow outdoors with Trackman and on GC Quad indoors)

all grips 360 tour velvet burgundy with 1 extra wrap

Sun mountain 4.5 stand bag

• petahpetah Posts: 119
    edited Jun 24, 2018 #17

is it strange that the moment i started to read this, i was hearing it in Morgan Friedman's voice?

I think Tim Allen in the Pure Michigan commercials.
  • tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    I’m slowly working my way up the generations. My first Titleist driver was the 910 D2, then a 910 D3, 913 D2, and now a 915 D2 (I was a TM guy originally). I’ll probably get a 917 head once the TS2/3 comes out. The OP is right, I might flirt with another OEM’s driver but Titleist always calls me back thanks to the classic shape, looks, sound, and the most important part for me since since I’m cheap... they haven’t changed the surefit driver til/hosel since they first came out which let’s me use my favorite shaft(s)
  • towncryertowncryer Posts: 354 ✭✭
    I have always loved Titleist drivers as well. However, I"m hitting the Rogue a lot farther than my 915.

With that said...I'm all in for a TS2 if it's as good as I hope it will be.
    G400 10.5 w/ Tour 65x
    915 2h Diamana D+
    PING iBlade 3-PW DGS400
    SM7 52, 56, 60 in Tour Chrome, DG S200
    Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
    Vice Pro Plus LIME!!!!
  • blt2280blt2280 Members Posts: 407 ✭✭
    Dear Stan, I meant to write you sooner but I just been busy

You said your girlfriend's pregnant now, how far along is she?

Look, I'm really flattered you would call your daughter that

And here's an autograph for your brother

I wrote it on the Starter cap

I'm sorry I didn't see you at the show, I must of missed you

Don't think I did that s*** intentionally just to diss you

But what's this s*** you said about you like to cut your wrists too?

I say that s*** just clownin' dog, come on, how f***** up is you?

You got some issues Stan, I think you need some counseling

To help your a** from bouncing off the walls when you get down some

And what's this s*** about us meant to be together?

That type of s*** will make me not want us to meet each other

I really think you and your girlfriend need each other

Or maybe you just need to treat her better

I hope you get to read this letter, I just hope it reaches you in time

Before you hurt yourself, I think that you'll be doin' just fine

If you relax a little, I'm glad I inspire you but Stan

Why are you so mad? Try to understand, that I do want you as a fan

I just don't want you to do some crazy s***

I seen this one s*** on the news a couple weeks ago that made me sick

Some dude was drunk and drove his car over a bridge

And had his girlfriend in the trunk, and she was pregnant with his kid

And in the car they found a tape, but they didn't say who it was to

Come to think about, his name was, it was you

****!
  • FOOTJOY16FOOTJOY16 Members Posts: 731 ✭✭
    petah wrote:

is it strange that the moment i started to read this, i was hearing it in Morgan Friedman's voice?

Oddly enough I was hearing Jack Lemmon
    Titleist TS 4 as soon as I can get one
    Titleist TS 3 15.0
    Titleist 718 MB's 
    Vokey SM7 56M 08, 60L04
    Scotty Newport Button Back or
    Scotty Select 1/500 Newport
  • jlebeane13jlebeane13 Members Posts: 333 ✭✭

You mean gimmicks!
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Oban Kiyoshi HB 04 Flex, Tipped 1 inch
    Titleist 917 F2 15* Mitsubishi Diamana BB 70 S Flex, Tipped 2 inches
    Titleist 818 H1 18.25* Aldila Rouge 80 S Flex,
    Titleist 718 AP2 4 - 9 ProjectX 6.0
    Titleist SM6 46* ProjectX 6.0 SS x 1
    Titleist SM6 50*, 54*, and 58* ProjectX 5.5
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 36 inches
    Titleist Prov1 (2017)
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,025 ✭✭
    "titleist drivers" = long lost love. wonder what her real name is? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • Drewmiller07Drewmiller07 Posts: 146 ✭✭
    I need to party with this guy!!
  • mukstermukster Is this the year? North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,477 ✭✭
    So? Did you send it to Titleist?
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood, Tensei Blue shaft
    Nickent 3D 3 hybrid, generic shaft
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 913 ✭✭
    This is the amount of thought and consideration JB Holmes puts into each and every shot he makes.
  • JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭
    edited Jun 25, 2018 #27
    "She wrote me a john deere letter. Something about me not listening enough I don't know I wasn't really paying attention"
    F9 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | 718 CBVokey SM6 52, 58Byron Morgan DH89
  • wesstlee18wesstlee18 Scotty Cameron and golf equipment expert Salt lake City, UtahPosts: 282 ✭✭
    I currently play a Cobra LTD that you'll probably have to pry out of my cold dead fingers, BUT I have played...

1. 976R

2. 975D

3. 975LFE

4. 983E

5. 905S

6. 905R

7. 909D3

8. 913D3

And I am VERY interested in the new TS models!
    Cobra LTD Pro, 7°, Diamana White Board 73X
    Titleist 917 F3, 13.5°, 4th Gen. Diamana White Board 80X
    Titleist 816 H2, 19°, 3rd Gen. Diamana White Board hybrid, 90X
    Titleist 681, 3 - PW, Tour issue DG X100
    Titleist Vokey, SM6 56.10, S Grind, DG S400
    Titleist Vokey, SM 60.04, T Grind, Tour Issue DG S400
    Scotty Cameron, AOP Pro Platinum, Oval Track Newport 2
    WITB
    Instagram
  • Cottonseed.Cottonseed. Posts: 156 ✭✭
    can we get a TL;DR ??
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭
    petah wrote:

considering the subject matter it has to be Jim Nantz.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • BForresterBForrester Unregistered Posts: 1,261
    Read the first paragraph and that was more than enough for me. Is this the kind of stuff I'll find myself doing when I'm a retiree? God I hope not...
    Taylormade M1 8.5o Aldila Tour Green 70x 44"
    Taylormade RBZ 3w 15o Aldila Tour Blue 70x
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19o R-Flex
    Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW DG S300
    Mizuno S5 (54, 58)
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1