Practice drills and games for juniors

So I've been playing golf seriously for about five years now, and I'm going into my sophomore year in high school. I've tried lots of drills and practice schedules, and my current schedule is 6 days a week, practicing short game and short irons on Monday Wednesday and Friday, and long mid irons, long irons and woods on Tuesday Thursday and Saturday. In addition I play 9 holes every other day. I just can't seem to make my average drop from 81 to 79, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to drills, games, and sports psychology books. Anything helps.

Thanks

Comments

• hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 538 ✭✭
    Do you keep stats? Basic would be Fairways hit, greens in reg, and putts. Get as detailed as you want from there with notes about what irons you are hitting and result, etc. Usually you can pinpoint pretty well where you are losing those extra few strokes.
  • masamitsumasamitsu Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭
    Need to determine your strengths and weaknesses. Work on making the weakness a strength.

A good on course game is worst ball. Play 2 balls and pick the worst shot and repeat. Puts a ton of pressure on you if you stick on close or make a bomb.
    Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
    Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
    Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
    Titleist 4i AMT S300
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
    Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
    Carbon Ringo 1/4
    Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Do you keep stats? Basic would be Fairways hit, greens in reg, and putts. Get as detailed as you want from there with notes about what irons you are hitting and result, etc. Usually you can pinpoint pretty well where you are losing those extra few strokes.

My son uses the 18Birdies app and sets his targets before every round. Tracks the basics like fairways hit, gir, putts, etc. Little things like this keep him motivated.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,590 ✭✭
    I wouldn’t have a hard and fast schedule of what you’re going to work on which days. Sounds good on paper but if far from ideal in the real world.
  • Tannerbug33Tannerbug33 Posts: 119 ✭✭
    I thought my son had a solid short game till he started playing tournaments and saw how good some of the kids are. Needless to say we spend alot of time on putting and par 3 courses. If you don't practice to improve

You weaknesses you'll get better.