ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Maltby TS2

Comments

• Popeye64Popeye64 Advanced Members Posts: 846
    Well, what started the acquiring of the TS-1 heads were I had a few for direct testing. 7 iron and the PW. My son in law needed a set of clubs so I gave him the TS-2 set. I had an extra 6 iron TS-2 head so I grabbed a 5 TS-2 and that's were the break fell. Filled in the higher lofts with the TS-1s and here I am. Turns out it works out to be a good break point. I have yet to play them in the turf but I dont expect any issues at all.

The FDI used to be the HDI and that was in DBM finish. The new forging should play softer and ofcourse be bendable. When they were discontinued I got rid of my HDIs but I did love them. So I'm more than ready for the new rendition.

Pinehurst is a three day Pro Am so it's going to be intense. Technically I dont think the clubs are legal for play. Not sure they have been submitted yet. But I'll roll the dice.

And yes I was perfectly happy with the all TS-2 set,,, but yah know.. club ho.
    Popeye64 wrote:

Cwebb wrote:
    Popeye64 wrote:

I have spent the entire sim season with the split set and have loved the performance I am getting. I'm split at the 7 on down to G in the TS-1 and the 5,6 TS-2. I have seen no gapping issues as the 7 iron for me is a true weapon. I seem to fall off a bit on the 6 iron and the extra forgiveness of the TS-2 gives me just the little help I need. I have hit some not so great shots that just some how seem to find the green. The 5 iron I use out of the tee box quite a bit on tight holes.

I have played Pinehurst#2 on the sim three times and shot even, +2 and a +1. Playing the real course in late March. Cant wait but nervous as ****.

My bag as it sits now is a Rouge driver with a Paderson TS D2 S shaft

Callaway back diamond #4 Fw

KE4 Tour 24° HYBRID

5,6 TS-2 DG 105 S300

7-GW TS-1 DG 105 S300

MMB Black GW 51°

M Series + Mid sole wedges at 54,58°

Moment Tour XI putter.

My only question in the bag is the KE4 which will get replaced with the new KE4 FDI when released.

Cant remember when I had so much confidence in my equipment heading into a season.

You going with the 21* or 23* FDI ? I'm glad they went to a much more bendable design. Also, what have you found if going back and forth between the TS2 6 iron and the TS1 7i ?
    I think I will get the 3-21 The KE4 22 is not enough of a gap, it goes too high and I'm not loving the shape. The FDI is more to my eye anyways. It should feel better as well with the new materials. Looking forward to that one for sure.

Switching between the 6 and the 7 has a bit of a mental placebo. I can see the larger top line and it screams forgiveness. Not sure why I have never loved a 6 iron but it's the club I struggle with. The flight is certainly different as the 6 (higher COG) is more of a boring flight. The 7 seems to just soar through the air. So for me the two clubs play quite differently. But not in a bad way.

Interesting that you decided to bag a split set. Thought you were settled in with the TS-2's. Haven't had much opportunity to hit my TS-1's (6 - GW) other than a couple of dome sessions. Really liking what I've observed so far, but I'm more than ready to take them outside for observation. Hoping the soles will offer the turf interaction that I'm anticipating. Haven't got around to having the lies (+ 2*) adjusted, would like to hit them off grass first. A 6 iron has historically been a dicey club for me as well. Don't quite know why, just that I lacked consistency and the yardage was to close to the 7. So far given the limited time hitting the TS-1 6 iron, it's stupid easy to send the ball. With good trajectory. Hope it translates.

Have been contemplating adding a TS-2 long iron. Normally I play a V-Steel 9 wood from distance (don't get along with hybrids all that well). I'm very confident with it off grass lies, not so much off the tee. NTM, it plays the ball quite high. A couple of courses that I play are very tight, had been using a 4 iron to "steer" the ball down the fairway. A ball in play, even if it's 40 yards shorter, is better than a lost ball hitting three. Have been contemplating a "driving iron" type club, but most of what I've seen are way over priced for being so one-dimensional. Then a couple of weeks back notice the KE-4 FDI hybrids on Maltby. Lot to like. From materials used in construct, non-PVD finish, bendable. A H4 (23*) with the same shaft as in rest of the set would blend appropriately and may be exactly what I'm looking for. Wouldn't mind having a lower trajectory off the tee while still realizing significant forgiveness. At the same price point as the iron head, may well be the more prudent approach. Certainly worth giving the FDI a test.

Would normally say that I'm interested in your take. This thread has offered a lot of guidance since it's creation. But may not wait that long. Golf season will arrive one day (****, this long winter) and want to hit the course running with a full overhaul of the iron implements in use.

Here's to playing your best at Pinehurst #2 in a couple of weeks. Hope you tear it up with your "what are those?" clubs.
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green Advanced Members Posts: 4,279 ✭✭
    Popeye. On the TS-1 page, under questions, JimY mentions that the grooves have been approved by the USGA. Didn't see anything on the TS-2's with a quick perusal. But if one is to assume, they are as well.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • Sparky14Sparky14 Advanced Members Posts: 334 ✭✭
    TS1 and TS2 are both listed on the USGA conforming grooves list.
  • BK BassBK Bass Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I've had my TS-2 7 iron for about 3 weeks now and have been testing it out on the range and on the course during play. I am currently playing TE's w/ Rifle flighted 6.0 shafts that i ordered when they came out about 9 years ago. Can't believe I have been playing the TE irons for so long but its time to try some new tech.

TS-2 7 iron test club is shafted with KBS Tour V 110 S. I have had Rifle's on my last 2 iron sets so I knew this shaft was going to be different and it definitely feels that way but in a good way. I think that overall profile is smoother and the lighter weight is allowing me to feel the club head a little more and possibly load the shaft better.

The TS-2 7 iron head has been performing well and I was expecting TE 6 iron distance but it looks like it will be in between my current 6 and 7 iron. trajectory is slightly lower and definitely more piercing than the TE which was to be expected and spin seems to be ok. I flushed the TS-2 7 with a light breeze in my face during a round and I did notice the shot balloned a little. May have been the Pro V1 I was playing as I usually play Snell MTB Black and prefer the lower spin ball. I am very interested to see how the spin will be on the short irons with KBS Tour V shafts. I am wanting these to be "pin seekers" and I think I have a good shaft/head combo picked out for just that.

Going to the range this am and hit one more time before I order the rest of the set later today. (pretty confident)

Brandon
  • tbone70tbone70 Members Posts: 3
    Popeye64, what would your thoughts be on using the ptm chromes for the 4,5 and 6 irons and 7 thru gap in the ts1's. Reason being I've been gaming the ptm' black since last summer and enjoy them but I,m not to keen on the looks of the short irons. Before that I came from the ping s58'. I believe the turf interaction will be better on the ts1 better than s58's even though the mpf is a little higher. The s58' are a little smaller too. I did purchase a ts1 in a 7 but hadn't had time to assemble
  • DFinchDFinch Advanced Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭
    "Playtime" with the TS2's is about to come to an end. I got them in the off season, shot a 67 and a couple of 71's. Love everything about them. All zero pressure rounds. Tomorrow is the official start to the "competitive" season. Looking forward to having some money on the line and enjoying these awesome irons.

The aspect of these that continue to impress me is the ability to flight down a "game imporovement" iron. In the past I've had to sacrifice the trajectory control I get with my blades in exchange for forgiveness with my more GI sets. For the first time I feel like I have complete trajectory control in a super forgiving design.
    Titleist TS3 Evenflow White
    Cobra Fly Z 3W 14.5*
    Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5*
    Maltby TS-2 4-GW DG105 X-100
    Mizuno MP-T5 54*/58*
    Evnroll ER8
    Snell MTB
    tbone70 wrote:
    Popeye64, what would your thoughts be on using the ptm chromes for the 4,5 and 6 irons and 7 thru gap in the ts1's. Reason being I've been gaming the ptm' black since last summer and enjoy them but I,m not to keen on the looks of the short irons. Before that I came from the ping s58'. I believe the turf interaction will be better on the ts1 better than s58's even though the mpf is a little higher. The s58' are a little smaller too. I did purchase a ts1 in a 7 but hadn't had time to assemble
    It should be a fairly seamless blend of two different heads. Loft wise they are a match at the 7 iron and only differ slightly as you go to the GW. You should have close to the same distances you have now. Those PTMs are a stable and great playing head and you will save some money using them as your 4,5,6. Should be a safe move for sure. I have a bunch of PTM 6 irons I use as fitting clubs and guys love them. As another point the sole design is fairly similar between the two so you should have that excellent turf interaction you are hoping for.

Looks wise the 7 on down TS-1 are as nice a looking iron as you will find today. From address to just sitting in the bag.
    DFinch wrote:
    "Playtime" with the TS2's is about to come to an end. I got them in the off season, shot a 67 and a couple of 71's. Love everything about them. All zero pressure rounds. Tomorrow is the official start to the "competitive" season. Looking forward to having some money on the line and enjoying these awesome irons.

The aspect of these that continue to impress me is the ability to flight down a "game imporovement" iron. In the past I've had to sacrifice the trajectory control I get with my blades in exchange for forgiveness with my more GI sets. For the first time I feel like I have complete trajectory control in a super forgiving design.
    Interesting to see how you do in the heat of the battle. I face the same trial by fire this month and the TS-1,2 mixed bag will truly be tested. I have half a mind to bring down the full set of TS-2s if the practice round doesnt fair well I can go all TS-2... The curse of a tinkerer... But with that said I need to clear my head of that thought and 'Dance with the one you brung.'
    Thanks for the reply popeye64. I may go that route as I already know the performance of the ptm's long irons. It's funny when I was in Palm Springs last September a lot of staff members were asking me about my clubs. They loved them but never heard of them . I explained to them but I'm sort of glad not everybody knows. Lol! Every club in my bag is Maltby except driver.
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours. Advanced Members Posts: 1,668 ✭✭
    I'm thinking of picking up the new driver, and possibly a FW. Any thoughts on their fairway woods?

Also, I am very pleased with the Kuro Kage iron shafts, so I might stick with those, but interested to hear if anyone has tried their new "house" shafts in FW or driver...
    I can't comment on the current fw offerings. I'm hitting the ke4 st-fd that was discontinued. It has the deep face and matte black finish coupled with a xcaliber tfw shaft and love it. I'm hitting the " house" pro series shaft in the tour tc hybrid and really like it. I played the pro series shaft in my driver in Palm Springs last September but I ended up going back to the ping tour 65 shaft. The pro series "house" shafts are excellent shafts though.
    The Maltby house brand ProSeries is a great low cost option. Britt learned a lot about shafts over the years juggling the Xcaliber line. Their shafts are made in the big factories right along with the top brands we all know. I have a Pro Series in a KE4 TC and find the S a bit soft to flex but I still get after the ball pretty hard. Actually I have always found the Maltby house brands to play a bit soft to flex.

For the **** of it I will try one of thier Pro Series in the new ISO T just so i know what I've got if someone wants an all stock club. Probably have up a couple of heads with Club Connexts and some shafts on hand.

As for their FW options.. they have always been great performers. Very easy to hit and long. Not a ton of press or buzz on them but have always been a good option for the money. Value wise good luck matching their performance for the price.

I myself am really looking to get back into a Maltby driver. It's been a while. I won my fair share of long drive holes with the CT250 heads.
    Popeye64 wrote:

DFinch wrote:

Interesting to see how you do in the heat of the battle. I face the same trial by fire this month and the TS-1,2 mixed bag will truly be tested. I have half a mind to bring down the full set of TS-2s if the practice round doesnt fair well I can go all TS-2... The curse of a tinkerer... But with that said I need to clear my head of that thought and 'Dance with the one you brung.'

Iron play was nearly flawless today. Shot 36 on the front with two birdies. A playing partner was also even at the turn and we both tensed up with “head to head” on our minds. I 3-putted four times on the back and chunked three wedges (not TS2) on the way to a 44 (other guy had same issues and shot 42). Hit 12 greens with several inside 8” (3-putted twice from 8’ being too aggressive).

Struck the ball way better than an 80 so I’m excited for the season. That’s about the worst score I could have put up for how I hit it overall.

Cobra Fly Z 3W 14.5*
    Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5*
    Mizuno MP-T5 54*/58*
    Evnroll ER8
    Snell MTB
  • mustangmustang Members Posts: 42 ✭✭
    DFinch wrote:

Popeye64 wrote:

DFinch wrote:

Iron play was nearly flawless today. Shot 36 on the front with two birdies. A playing partner was also even at the turn and we both tensed up with “head to head” on our minds. I 3-putted four times on the back and chunked three wedges (not TS2) on the way to a 44 (other guy had same issues and shot 42). Hit 12 greens with several inside 8” (3-putted twice from 8’ being too aggressive).

Struck the ball way better than an 80 so I’m excited for the season. That’s about the worst score I could have put up for how I hit it overall.
    Still 10" of snow here in Eastern Oregon. KILLING ME. We have had two weeks of golf practice in the GYM.

Shafted up my set today-- Went with 5-6-7-8 in TS-2. 9-PW-GW in TS-1. Recoils 680. Going to finish the ferrules and grip them tomorrow.

Hope I get to use them before APRIL.
    DFinch wrote:
    Popeye64 wrote:

DFinch wrote:

Sounds like my usual blow up. Chunked wedges. I release too early and bury it in the turf. Hopefully the longer sole on the M Series + will go along way to cure that flaw.
  • KaiserSozeKaiserSoze Advanced Members Posts: 87 ✭✭
    games wrote:

I'm thinking of picking up the new driver, and possibly a FW. Any thoughts on their fairway woods?

I've played Maltby equipment for years. Currently play the same
    [background=transparent]ke4 st-fd 14' head that another poster just noted. It's may favorite club in the bad. My complaint with the current Maltby FWs is that the faces seem too shallow for me.[/background]

I am buying the new driver and really looking forward to hitting it.
    Popeye64 wrote:

tbone70 wrote:
    It should be a fairly seamless blend of two different heads. Loft wise they are a match at the 7 iron and only differ slightly as you go to the GW. You should have close to the same distances you have now. Those PTMs are a stable and great playing head and you will save some money using them as your 4,5,6. Should be a safe move for sure. I have a bunch of PTM 6 irons I use as fitting clubs and guys love them. As another point the sole design is fairly similar between the two so you should have that excellent turf interaction you are hoping for.

Looks wise the 7 on down TS-1 are as nice a looking iron as you will find today. From address to just sitting in the bag.

Popeye:

Long time Maltby fan here. How does the forgiveness of the PTM compare the TS1 or TS2? Thanks.
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours. Advanced Members Posts: 1,668 ✭✭
    KaiserSoze wrote:

games wrote:

I've played Maltby equipment for years. Currently play the same

[background=transparent]ke4 st-fd 14' head that another poster just noted. It's may favorite club in the bad. My complaint with the current Maltby FWs is that the faces seem too shallow for me.[/background]

I am buying the new driver and really looking forward to hitting it.

Thanks! I actually like a shallow face look. The only thing holding me back is the steel faces, as I've always preferred titanium.

But, some of the answers in the Q&A of the driver suggest it will be another month or two until the driver appears.
    KaiserSoze wrote:
    Popeye64 wrote:

tbone70 wrote:

Popeye:

Long time Maltby fan here. How does the forgiveness of the PTM compare the TS1 or TS2? Thanks.
    There is not a huge difference in forgiveness between the two but there is a difference. Visually the PTM looks larger but physically they are very close. That visual difference plays in the head and really gives the PTM the feeling of,,, you cant make a bad shot. Another thing is the PTM feels great and you can hit it off center and still get a great feel.

If you are on a budget the PTM is a great choice and you shouldn't think that you will be lose much on performance because they really do play great.

PTM is a victim of a great release from Maltby in the TS line that has just totally eclipsed it.

I have had two people choose the PTM over the TS series after demo-ing both clubs but budget was also a factor.
    Popeye64 wrote:

KaiserSoze wrote:
    Popeye64 wrote:

tbone70 wrote:

Popeye:

There is not a huge difference in forgiveness between the two but there is a difference. Visually the PTM looks larger but physically they are very close. That visual difference plays in the head and really gives the PTM the feeling of,,, you cant make a bad shot. Another thing is the PTM feels great and you can hit it off center and still get a great feel.

If you are on a budget the PTM is a great choice and you shouldn't think that you will be lose much on performance because they really do play great.

PTM is a victim of a great release from Maltby in the TS line that has just totally eclipsed it.

I have had two people choose the PTM over the TS series after demo-ing both clubs but budget was also a factor.

I would add that the vertical CG difference is noticeable, making the PTM extremely forgiving on low strikes but noticeably weak on higher strikes. The TS2 is much more forgiving higher on the face. On heel/toe strikes I would call it a tie.
    Cobra Fly Z 3W 14.5*
    Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5*
    Mizuno MP-T5 54*/58*
    Evnroll ER8
    Snell MTB
  • artist08artist08 Advanced Members Posts: 717 ✭✭
    After toying with the notion of a mixed set of TS2 and TS1, I just figured that I’d go all TS2 and forego the bending to close the gaps, etc. I made a demo 7-iron TS2 with SteelFiber and a demo TS1 8-iron with the same shaft and both performed admirably. After playing in some powerful winds the other day the TS2 head just performed so well I decided to take the plunge. I figure I’ll just sell the TS1 8-iron head to whomever would like to give it a go.

I’m chomping at the bit to get the full set and put it into play. Let’s hope the weather starts to warm up soon!
  • ode1ode1 Advanced Members Posts: 2,806 ✭✭
    Re fwy woods.....I have a Maltby UFW and it looks fantastic. Very clean and generous size without looking huge behind the ball. I have yet to hit it, but I have been intrigued for some time re: the rails or as GW calls them runners, and how that might offer some assistance from dodgy lies.

I have an ST-Fd (deep face version, no longer available) and a STf. Not sure wtf GW is thinking naming these, but anyway .... they both performed pretty good, but to me felt like duds. And not sure why, but they both have less face progression than a typical fwy wood. Definitely noticable at address, and not a good thing. Somewhere inbetween a hybrid and a typical fwy wood. I really wanted to like them both and the deep faces are a plus for me, but I hit my RBZ a lot farther. Not even close. We shall see how the UFW compares!
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Advanced Members Posts: 464 ✭✭
    edited March 12
    My ts1 3 iron will be here today. I'll have to look into the new udi when it comes out if the ts1 doesnt workout, Popeye I look forward to your review.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5
    Titleist 917f2 15°
    Titleist 816h2 19°
    Titleist Ap2 716 4-gw
    Cleveland rtx3 54,58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6
    ode1 wrote:

Re fwy woods.....I have a Maltby UFW and it looks fantastic. Very clean and generous size without looking huge behind the ball. I have yet to hit it, but I have been intrigued for some time re: the rails or as GW calls them runners, and how that might offer some assistance from dodgy lies.

I have an ST-Fd (deep face version, no longer available) and a STf. Not sure wtf GW is thinking naming these, but anyway .... they both performed pretty good, but to me felt like duds. And not sure why, but they both have less face progression than a typical fwy wood. Definitely noticable at address, and not a good thing. Somewhere inbetween a hybrid and a typical fwy wood. I really wanted to like them both and the deep faces are a plus for me, but I hit my RBZ a lot farther. Not even close. We shall see how the UFW compares!

Re the ST-Fd, for sure different strokes for different..... That club is hands down the best feeling and looking 3 wood I’ve ever had ( and I’ve had a lot). The face progression is perfect. Really sad GW discontinued that head.
  • Sparky14Sparky14 Advanced Members Posts: 334 ✭✭
    I waiting for Maltby to release their STFU Flash Bang fairway wood. I'm all over that one.
    Sparky14 wrote:
    I waiting for Maltby to release their STFU Flash Bang fairway wood. I'm all over that one.
    That one will def, b**** slap the haters.
    Didn't Goflworks release a women's version of their "CER" club line and call it CER-VX?
    games wrote:
    Didn't Goflworks release a women's version of their "CER" club line and call it CER-VX?
    Yup... they had to be killing themselves laughing at that one.
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Advanced Members Posts: 464 ✭✭
    Wait. Cer-VX was an actual club 🤣
    Titleist 910D3 8.5
    Titleist 917f2 15°
    Titleist 816h2 19°
    Titleist Ap2 716 4-gw
    Cleveland rtx3 54,58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6
    Yes it was. a74d294dcdaaf8d8332cafbb4b19bff1.jpg
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Meet Séamus, Squirrel Control Officer Advanced Members Posts: 6,103 ✭✭
    Told my wife about the CER-VX products, her response was, "that's awful."

LOL
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
    KaiserSoze wrote:

ode1 wrote:

Re the ST-Fd, for sure different strokes for different..... That club is hands down the best feeling and looking 3 wood I’ve ever had ( and I’ve had a lot). The face progression is perfect. Really sad GW discontinued that head.

The STf are quite deep face as well, but not as large as the ST-Fd which is really a mini IMO. Gonna have to bust it out again to give her another try!
    Trying to stay loose for the Pinehurst trip. I forget how solid the KE4 club line was. This one lives on the tug boat trying to hit a dozen or so balls a day till Wednesday when I get home bbc4c1ab0cef2c1ec74b9bb1140aa2d0.jpgce144b0f02905204758463ef1f331838.jpg
  • CwebbCwebb Advanced Members Posts: 5,847 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    Popeye64 wrote:

Trying to stay loose for the Pinehurst trip. I forget how solid the KE4 club line was. This one lives on the tug boat trying to hit a dozen or so balls a day till Wednesday when I get home

That design particularly, is really forgiving towards the toe. I really like those
    Popeye64 wrote:

Trying to stay loose for the Pinehurst trip. I forget how solid the KE4 club line was. This one lives on the tug boat trying to hit a dozen or so balls a day till Wednesday when I get home

In a prior life I was in business valuation, and I valued stock in a company that operated tugs in the Houston ship channel. Holy ****. You guys are good! Did I hear stories...
    edited March 14
    Sparky14 wrote:

Thanks Sparky. That a way to make people feel welcome. I obviously mistook this group as golf equipment enthusiasts. I’ll check out now.
    Popeye64 wrote:

Trying to stay loose for the Pinehurst trip. I forget how solid the KE4 club line was. This one lives on the tug boat trying to hit a dozen or so balls a day till Wednesday when I get home bbc4c1ab0cef2c1ec74b9bb1140aa2d0.jpgce144b0f02905204758463ef1f331838.jpg
    Great clubs. Had a set. NOTHING wrong with them. Just had to have something new. Really good stick.
    mustang wrote:
    Popeye64 wrote:

Great clubs. Had a set. NOTHING wrong with them. Just had to have something new. Really good stick.
    I sold quite a few sets. People always loved them.
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green Advanced Members Posts: 4,279 ✭✭
    Popeye. Is that a Xcaliber Tour X shaft you have in the KE4? Always wanted to build out a set with those. No idea how they played, but thought they were uniquely cool looking. Certainly distinctive. Only experience with AXE was a hybrid shaft in an old S.E. QS 4 23*.

Yeah, I'm aware that Xcaliber is trying to come back to life. But they're website is currently down, not a good sign.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
    Popeye64 wrote:

mustang wrote:
    Popeye64 wrote:

I sold quite a few sets. People always loved them.

Good iron, solid forgiveness, blah feel. Played the black finish version for a year + with good results. I like the external **** weight for a clean way to adjust SW.
    Popeye. Is that a Xcaliber Tour X shaft you have in the KE4? Always wanted to build out a set with those. No idea how they played, but thought they were uniquely cool looking. Certainly distinctive. Only experience with AXE was a hybrid shaft in an old S.E. QS 4 23*.

Yeah, I'm aware that Xcaliber is trying to come back to life. But they're website is currently down, not a good sign.
    As for Xcaliber,,, well he put someone in charge of day to day operations but God only knows what's going on now. I did recently talk with that person and they were excited about moving forward and actually needed to order more stock as sales were picking up.

As for how the Tour X shafts played they were excellent. Out of the three weights I liked the feel of the 95s but the performance of the 85s were solid. Did everything you needed but lacked a bit of feel.

I recently have been experimenting with the Paderson TS series shafts and they play just as well, are longer and have feel. I know feel is subjective but they are in a back up set of MMB Black heads. They are so long in fact that they almost keep up with the TS-1s. I need to take them out on course and do some shot by shot testing but if you need a boost for distance,, might not be a bad place to start.

If Xcaliber doesnt survive it's not for a lack of people like myself trying to help him out.

• golfer1954golfer1954 Members Posts: 2
    I have been reading and following this thread for a few months. I too am a huge Maltby fan and have played almost exclusively their equipment for more than 15 years.Most recently in irons I have gamed the TE's, MMB 17,KE 4s, DBM, and am currently switching back and forth and mixing and matching between the PTM 6-gap shafted with Steel Fiber FC 90 S and the TS1 6-gap Shafted with the DG Xp100 S complimented with the FGT wedges in 52 and 56 shafted with the DG Xp100's tipped at 8 iron flex. I also carry the KE 4 tour TC hybrids in 22 and 25 shafted with the FC 90 S and the ST-f fairway woods in a 5 and 3 shafted with the X caliber pro fw in S and the moment XII putter.

The only non maltby cub in my bag is a 2016 M2 driver with the stock S shaft cut down to 44-1/2 " with the 10 gram weight to get SW to D-2. Popeye I have agreed with most of your comments about this equipment but am perhaps more in agreement with you about the old CT 250 driver. That head was awesome and to this day is to me the best driver I have EVER hit.I still have a 10-1/2 and a 9-1/2 that I bring out of hibernation every now and then. I am literally drooling over the new ISO-T driver and if it is anywhere close to as good , it will be the BOMB !

It is just amazing to me that my golfing buddies continue to play the increasingly overpriced OEM equipment and frankly scoff at what is in my bag. I just laugh.

I do have one close friend that has seen the light and is currently playing the TS-2 . He also has a CT- 250 that I put together for him back in 2009 that is his go to driver for tournaments or big money game.Gosh this is fun stuff!
    edited March 17
    Welcome, golfer1954!

For those hitting the TS-2s, is anyone finding their spin numbers to be lower? I'm finding my 8 iron spin numbers to be something I would expect more from a 5- or 6-iron.
    games wrote:

Welcome, golfer1954!

For those hitting the TS-2s, is anyone finding their spin numbers to be lower? I'm finding my 8 iron spin numbers to be something I would expect more from a 5- or 6-iron.

I’ve had no issues with low spin and still regularly back up short irons.

Cobra Fly Z 3W 14.5*
    Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5*
    Mizuno MP-T5 54*/58*
    Evnroll ER8
    Snell MTB
    games wrote:
    Welcome, golfer1954!

The only time I was seeing a lack of spin on a launch monitor is hitting one low on the face of the club but that will happen with any club. Not on a mat but out on course spin was just right. In testing I have found the TS-2 to have a good 600-700 rpm more spin than a P790.
    With the noted better stability and general straightness of the TS-2 I was looking at the specs between that and the TS-1 for clues to the differences. A simple look at the higher MOI gives a big clue as to why that is so. With the longer blade length, higher toe and wider sole, it really makes a big difference between the two.

Now when I say it's a big difference it's not monumental but its noticeable for sure. I'm still not 100% sure the split set will remain in the bag because I still have yet to play a round with it. Hopefully I'm not kicking myself next week for changing what was working extremely well.
  • ThertyTherty Members Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Flicked through the whole thread - can someone post a couple comparisons 9/P/G TS-1 and TS-2? Are the TS-2 wedges still filled and the TS-1 are stamp forged? Its unclear from the golfworks descriptions...
    Ping G 3 wood 14.5* + Ping Tour 80 Stiff
    Maltby TS-2 2 Iron 18*
    Adams DHy 21* + White Tie Stiff
    CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4i-P + TT DG S300
    53* and 58* Mizuno S5 Blue Ion
    Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball
    golfer1954 wrote:

I have been reading and following this thread for a few months. I too am a huge Maltby fan and have played almost exclusively their equipment for more than 15 years.Most recently in irons I have gamed the TE's, MMB 17,KE 4s, DBM, and am currently switching back and forth and mixing and matching between the PTM 6-gap shafted with Steel Fiber FC 90 S and the TS1 6-gap Shafted with the DG Xp100 S complimented with the FGT wedges in 52 and 56 shafted with the DG Xp100's tipped at 8 iron flex. I also carry the KE 4 tour TC hybrids in 22 and 25 shafted with the FC 90 S and the ST-f fairway woods in a 5 and 3 shafted with the X caliber pro fw in S and the moment XII putter.

The only non maltby cub in my bag is a 2016 M2 driver with the stock S shaft cut down to 44-1/2 " with the 10 gram weight to get SW to D-2. Popeye I have agreed with most of your comments about this equipment but am perhaps more in agreement with you about the old CT 250 driver. That head was awesome and to this day is to me the best driver I have EVER hit.I still have a 10-1/2 and a 9-1/2 that I bring out of hibernation every now and then. I am literally drooling over the new ISO-T driver and if it is anywhere close to as good , it will be the BOMB !

It is just amazing to me that my golfing buddies continue to play the increasingly overpriced OEM equipment and frankly scoff at what is in my bag. I just laugh.

I do have one close friend that has seen the light and is currently playing the TS-2 . He also has a CT- 250 that I put together for him back in 2009 that is his go to driver for tournaments or big money game.Gosh this is fun stuff!
    Tell me more about the new hybrids. I have a 22 degree KE-4 tour that I have had longer than any club in my bag. The new ones are better? I too have played MANY Maltby products and like them. The CT250 was a great seller for me and was way ahead of everything in its time.
    Therty wrote:
    Flicked through the whole thread - can someone post a couple comparisons 9/P/G TS-1 and TS-2? Are the TS-2 wedges still filled and the TS-1 are stamp forged? Its unclear from the golfworks descriptions...
    I dont have any pics on my phone but I can post some later in the week.

Both the TS-1 and 2 are polymer filled up to the 9 iron. Pw and Gw are not. The forging process is a true 5 step forging and they are made from 3 pieces. Its not a cheap construction process.
  • sneaky_petesneaky_pete insufficiently adult Advanced Members Posts: 239 ✭✭
    very interested in the TS2 to replace my DBM's. just wondering if anyone has tried these with the Maltby Pro Series MPF graphite shafts? anyone tried those shafts in any head and can give impressions of the shaft. currently using True Temper Dynalite Gold XP's in a stiff flex. I am just looking for something a little more forgiving on the hands. Still swinging the same speed as ever - 105mph with the Driver and around 88mph on the 7 iron.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Ping Tour 65 Stiff
    Fairway: Adams Speedline Super S Fairway 15* Matrix Ozik HD Radix S VI Shaft Stiff Flex
    Driving Iron: Mizuno Fli-Hi II 18* Driving Iron Mizuno Exsar Shaft Stiff Flex
    Irons: Maltby DBM Forged Irons 3 - 9 True Temper Dynalite Gold XP S300 Shafts
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 46*, 52* & 58* Wedges True Temper Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
    Putter: Cleveland TFI 2135 RHO fitted with Iomic Midsize Grip (Blue)
    Grips: Lamkin UTX Midsize (Black)
    Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour
    GPS: Sonocaddie V300
    Range Finder: Leupold GX-3i2
    Cart: Clicgear 3.0