GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Maltby TS2

Comments

• ColejColej Members  1859WRX Points: 176Posts: 1,859 Platinum Tees

I am about to go out for my first round with the TS2 irons. I’m shafted up with steelfiber 110 SS 2 times. I’m a 1 degree flat spec on my irons, so I dialed that in this morning. These things bent extremely easy. I do like that but I would definitely not hit these on hard range mats.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TaylormadegackTaylormadegack Members  96WRX Points: 62Posts: 96 Fairways

Have played about 10 rounds with my TS2’s 5-PW with KBS Tour S+, TS1 GW, TSW 54 and 58 wedges, KE4 Tour TC hybrid, 4 wood and Driver. Loving this setup and have shot my best rounds. Need to dial in yardages a little still but seems like I found a great setup for years to come. I also need to practice more but have a 6 week old that’s really cramping my style :)

Posted:
  • runpuddrunrunpuddrun Members  630WRX Points: 71Handicap: 9.3Posts: 630 Golden Tee

I'm super conflicted on what to order. I was all set to order last night and then re-read the entire thread and was debating the dmb, and ts-2, but now It's between the ts-1 and ts2. I am a sweeper, and err on the side of more forgiveness, misses are thin and out on the toe. my current irons and ones i've used in the past were similar soles to the ts2's so i'm thinking they will be just fine. I'm thinking just going all in on the ts-2 5-gw w/dg105's. i like the mid-weight shafts and read a lot of what @DFinch was saying, i want to avoid the left side as much as possible as well as bring my flight down, so thinking of going x100. driver ss of 108ish with a medium to fast tempo. not smooth by any stretch of the imagination though. Thoughts?

Also going to pair that up with the tsw wedges in 52/56 and ke4 tour tc driver and tc hybrid.

Posted:
    Changing...
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. Des MoinesMembers  1985WRX Points: 316Posts: 1,985 Platinum Tees

You won't have any problem with either one, especially at your swing speed. The TS1 COG is lower by a bit, but the TS2 gives you help in other areas. TBH, I'd go with whatever you think looks better to you at address and in the bag.

Posted:
  • TaylormadegackTaylormadegack Members  96WRX Points: 62Posts: 96 Fairways

Fittoyougolf on YouTube likes the TS1 for toe sweep/thin. I like the looks of the TS1 better but I’m a digger so went with TS2.

Posted:
  • ninjabninjab Members  157WRX Points: 85Posts: 157 Fairways

Finally built my TSW 60*, very nice looking wedge. Matches perfectly with TS1 set if you are into set matching (I've had 3 different brand wedges so not a requirement for me, but certainly looks nice).

It has a wide sole, but relatively low bounce (6* stated bounce). I have a regular K grind, and I would imagine this is very similar to a low bounce K grind. I've only hit it off simulator turf, but like it so far.

Posted:

Advertisement

I ordered a 6 iron in both TS1 and TS2, went with TS1, but nothing beats trying them first.

Posted:
  • ColejColej Members  1859WRX Points: 176Posts: 1,859 Platinum Tees

I’m very happy with going with the TS2. Extremely solid head that is very forgiving. Iron game isn’t my strong suit but it sure looked like it yesterday.

Posted:
  • Popeye64Popeye64 Members  1199WRX Points: 346Handicap: .2Posts: 1,199 Platinum Tees

I have a pair of STi2 7 irons that I'm gonna shaft up with a Mystic i6 and a mystic i8. Basic graphite shafts that have a really nice ion finish.

Ill get some data on them. My PTM with the ProX shaft will be my base line and they are the same loft.

It will give me a chance to play more with the Mevo.

Posted:
  • runpuddrunrunpuddrun Members  630WRX Points: 71Handicap: 9.3Posts: 630 Golden Tee

How do you like the mevo? I'm very interested in one for next season.

Posted:
    Changing...
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. Des MoinesMembers  1985WRX Points: 316Posts: 1,985 Platinum Tees

MEVO is easily the best value in LMs / shot sensors / swing analyzers, etc... I have a MEVO and MEVO+ and I'm seriously considering keeping the MEVO. That's how good it is.

The one thing that's keeping the MEVO+ around is that I heard they built in a feature to use the calibration camera as a swing video recorder. The video editing feature that matches up your data with video of the swing that produced it is genius.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Popeye64Popeye64 Members  1199WRX Points: 346Handicap: .2Posts: 1,199 Platinum Tees

So far the Mevo has been excellent. Distances seem to be a bit low but they are consistent. But im more concerned with ballspeed and spin rates. I have not hit from a mat or quality turf. So its not quite a fair assement yet. The local range has garbage turf thats hard to hit an iron from.

Its very easy to use and as long as you set it up right it records almost every ball. Syncs well with the phone and there is a ton of data to view. I just have not yet figured out if I can transfer data.

Posted:

Almost had an all Maltby bag but an upstart TM is king of the FW woods. 3 Sim Ti is a laser guided missile. Scary distance witj accuracy. Here is the rest of the bag.

KE4 TC Xcal Pro T6☆ S

FDI 2 Hy Xcal Rapid Taper 75g S

PTM Blacks 4-Gw Xcal PRO X 85g S

TSW 52-56 Xcal Spin Wedges 100g S

Top to bottom best bag I've had in a long time.

Posted:
  • blarkin97blarkin97 Members  131WRX Points: 78Handicap: 9.0Posts: 131 Fairways

Don't pass on the PTMs for thin and off the toe. That has been my miss lately and while I do feel the miss slightly it doesn't affect performance very much

Posted:
    PING G400 MAX 10.5* Stiff
    Callaway Epic Flash 3W 15*
    Adams Idea Super 3H 19*
    Adams Idea Super 4H 22*
    Maltby  PTM Black 5-G
    Maltby M Series + 52 Tour & 56 MId Wedge Flex
    Odyssey O-Works Black #3T 34"

Ts2 ordered up, as well as some other clubs. should have a mostly maltby bag, with a couple wishon clubs thrown in for good measure.

Posted:
    Changing...
  • gdb99gdb99 Members  2018WRX Points: 286Handicap: 5.6Posts: 2,018 Platinum Tees

I’m also very conflicted.

I had a set of DMB’s. Never got them on a Trackman, but I’m sure they were spinning too much. Partial shots were tough to hit for me. An easy swing on an approach shot would come up 15-20 yards short of target, and I could never figure out why.

Bought a set of the Black MMB’s, and had my fair share of again, partial shots, that I would just hit so fat.

I now have a set of JPX 919 Hot Metals. Have 3 rounds on them. I like the look. But, hit a ball out of the rough, especially down wind, good luck stopping it.

I do like the DMB finish on the Maltby irons. I lost out on a set of MMB’s last night. I was going to give them another shot.

Tell me about these PTM’s. They really look slim in some pictures on the bay. I don’t mind a longer blade length. I’m sure the sole is thinner than what I’m playing now. And I see there is a little front edge relief.

How soft do these feel? They must be super forgiving, the cavity looks big. Do I give another shot to a 3rd set of DMB finished Maltby heads??

Posted:
    Cobra LTD, Diamana Blueboard, 63 StiffFlex 
    Ping G410 3 wood, stock stiff
    Ping G410 22* hybrid, stock stiff
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 5-GW, Modus 105 Regular Flex
    Vokey SM7 56M
    Vokey SM7 60M 
    Odyssey White Hot #2

Advertisement
  • blarkin97blarkin97 Members  131WRX Points: 78Handicap: 9.0Posts: 131 Fairways

I'm not as good of a reviewer as Popeye so I'll let him tell you but I can say these are the best irons I've had. I put some sting stopper inserts in the shafts before I put the grips on and they are by far the softest irons I have ever played. I'm a 9-13 handicap at any given time if that gives you some context about the forgiveness and playability. I'm pretty sure Popeye said the PTMs were a little bit bigger and easier to play than the MMBs. I liked the look of the PTMs better than the DMBs. The PTMs seem to spin but not too much for me. They hit the green and are either a few feet past where they hit or spun back a foot. Nothing crazy. If you have access to Ping i210's the PTMs are the exact same size. That is what I had before going with the PTMs

Posted:
    PING G400 MAX 10.5* Stiff
    Callaway Epic Flash 3W 15*
    Adams Idea Super 3H 19*
    Adams Idea Super 4H 22*
    Maltby  PTM Black 5-G
    Maltby M Series + 52 Tour & 56 MId Wedge Flex
    Odyssey O-Works Black #3T 34"
  • Golf4liferGolf4lifer Members  617WRX Points: 137Posts: 617 Golden Tee

Have you thought about the TS-1's? I was not a fan of the PTM's, but I love the TS-1's! They are fantastic, soft, and very easy to hit.

Posted:
  • gdb99gdb99 Members  2018WRX Points: 286Handicap: 5.6Posts: 2,018 Platinum Tees

I had a set of those, too. I had them with Recoil 95 F3 shafts. I didn’t play them long. I don’t remember why I got rid of them.....

Posted:
    Cobra LTD, Diamana Blueboard, 63 StiffFlex 
    Ping G410 3 wood, stock stiff
    Ping G410 22* hybrid, stock stiff
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 5-GW, Modus 105 Regular Flex
    Vokey SM7 56M
    Vokey SM7 60M 
    Odyssey White Hot #2
  • mgoblue83mgoblue83 Members  400WRX Points: 204Handicap: 2Posts: 400 Greens

Thoughts on Maltby TE Forged? I like that they are cheap and have a constant low offset with traditional grooves but I was wondering if anyone has any feedback. Thanks!

Posted:

If you like the ability to tweak your lofts and lies combined with the low CG and picker's forgiveness, it doesn't get much better. The DBM look great, but they can't really be tweaked much...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • stasekstasek Members  929WRX Points: 169Handicap: 4.xPosts: 929 Golden Tee

Plot thickens.... Picked up the KE4 TC Tour driver and 4 wood (BST). Only 2 non-Maltby clubs remaining 🤦‍♂️. After quick driving range session and 9 holes, I think I finally found a wood I feel comfortable with. The driver is not too shabby, either. I didn’t play with the settings, but the Neutral produced very encouraging results.

Posted:

Ok....... PTM Blacks are the best all around iron i have every played. Period.

For me being a digger I wanted to love the MMB Blacks and if i only played on elite turf they are perfect. But i play a lot of burnt up Muni golf and I need a relieved sole grind. I would hit fat shot after fat shot. With the PTM thats near impossible for me. On any par 3 they are so turf friendly I don't use a tee.

The top line is thinner like a players club and looking down, the head looks on the larger side but its not any bigger than the TS series. They do have a taller toe and thats part of the over all forgiveness. As long as you don't hit them high on the face they feel great all the time. Not a mushy marshmallow soft but a... Yah I crushed that ball feel.

Distance consistency is stellar. I have them paired to the PRO X Xcalibers 85g S flex. A wildly underrated shaft by the way. I get drop, hop and stop performance on every iron even the 5 iron. At most its 2' forward. Lofts are 4° from each other and gapping is perfect. I feel as if I always have just the right club. Also they are very easy to hit a tiny tight little draw. Knock downs are easy. I can hit a fade with them but they mostly just like to go straight. They also have this freakish ability to hit a straight ball from a down hill side hill lie.... for me thats nuts.

I shot a -3 today and it was an honest round as I'm preping for a huge tournament for Friday. If I blow up its not my gear as these are truly the best all around iron for me.

Posted:

The TEs are a legacy iron for Golfworks. They just keep selling!!!

They have a smaller footprint and a thin topline. The COG is one of the lowest in golf and certainly for a players iron by a mile. You almost need to be a sweeper to use them. The sole is wide with a lot of weight in them. Hit these on the button and its one of the best feeling irons ever.

If you already hit a high ball you won't like them. They have good forgiveness and minimal offset. There isn't much for modern tech and the lofts won't help your ego.

I have a full set that a customer backed out on and im not sure what im gonna do with them. Ill sell them eventually as when someone likes them... they love them.

Posted:
  • Sparky14Sparky14 San Clemente CAMembers  498WRX Points: 216Handicap: 4Posts: 498 Greens

I've had the TS1s in my bag for about 14 months now. I have probably bought 6 more iron sets in that time. I know nothing is going to beat out the TS1s, but I am so used to buying sets that I just keep doing it.

Posted:
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Golf4liferGolf4lifer Members  617WRX Points: 137Posts: 617 Golden Tee
    Posted:

I gave the TS-1s two serious trips as my gamers but just could not work out the consistency. Superb one day then i just couldn't get a feel for them the next. Never had that issue with the TS-2. Problem with the TS-2 is they just went too far for me.

PTM was an instant success for me.

Posted:

I have tried ke4, DBM, TS1, TS2. You are making me really tempted to order a PTM to try.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • drumdude96drumdude96 Members  1003WRX Points: 158Posts: 1,003 Platinum Tees

I'm left-handed. 😭 I can't try any of them because of dexterity discrimination.

Posted:
    Bag 1                                                                                              Bag 2
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 9° Diamana W Series 60 S                    Ping G400 Max 10.5 UST Attas 4U 6TS
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 14° 3W Diamana D+ 70 S                     Ping G25 3W PWR S
    Callaway Big Bertha OS 19° Hybrid KBS Steel Hybrid S                         Ping G25 5W Steelfiber ss85 S
    Titleist 915H 24° and 27° KBS Steel Hybrid X                                       Ping G25 23°, 27°. and 31° Hybrids KBS Tour V 110
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 6-GW KBS Tour V 125 ss 2x                             Ping G25 irons 7-UW KBS Tour V 120
    Callaway MD3 54° W Grind bent to 55° DG S400                                  Ping Glide 54° SS KBS 610 125 S+
    Callaway MD3 60° S Grind bent to 59° DG S400                                   Ping Glide 58° TS KBS 610 125 S+
    Odyssey O-Works Red #7s                                                                 Ping Sigma Tyne H

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.