MacGregor Persimmon Woods

Is this any good? I was thinking about playing around with some Persimmons. There’s a 1,3,4 at goodwill for pretty cheap.

Comments

• rex235rex235 ClubWRX Posts: 3,963 ClubWRX
    edited Jun 28, 2018 #2
    Pym-

You haven't played with any persimmons already?

These are the remakes of the MacGregor "DX" Tourney models from the "60s ('First appeared in '64)

The originals had 4 screws and the "Key-Site" insert (then designed by Toney Penna), vs 2 screws and a firing pin insert.

The shaft is everything in some of these....

The Driver appears to have been given some "mat time" at the Range.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • pymmdcppymmdcp Posts: 262
    rex235 wrote:
    Pym-

You haven't played with any persimmons already?

These are the remakes of the MacGregor "DX" Tourney models from the "60s ('First appeared in '64)

The originals had 4 screws and the "Key-Site" insert (then designed by Toney Penna), vs 2 screws and a firing pin insert.

The shaft is everything in some of these....

I haven’t. Only classic irons. Was looking to pick some up but don’t really know much. I appreciate the info. It has some kind of light shat with a number 2 on it.
  • baloobaloo A Person Members Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Number 2 means medium flex. Pick them up and give them a try. Pretty cheap experiment and the driver looks to be in good condition.
    Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
    2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
    SW - Wilson Staff
    Putter - Bullseye
    Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf
  • JShawJShaw Posts: 308 ✭✭
    Definitely pick them up and give them a go. That's probably the perfect starter persimmon. Looks perfectly playable and not super valuable so you don't need to worry about damaging it. My first was a Lynx of some sort that resembled an M85. Just hitting persimmon is worth the low price experiment. That's how you get hooked.