Ugliest Scotty

Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 396 ✭✭
edited Jul 2, 2018 in Putters #1
Finally found a Scotty Cameron putter for sale near me with a decent price, however it is hideous and I cant ever see myself putting with this thing. My apologies to anyone who likes this style......



https://cnj.craigsli...6617822928.html



https://www.scottyca...wport-2-detour/



Looks like they only make it for two years, so it must not have been too popular.



On a side note, how is it hunting for lets say < $100 Scottys? The Newports growing on me, I would love to have one but I love bargains and getting something way below value. It seems like most people know what they have.
TM AeroBurner 9.5*
TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
Odyssey White Hot RX #1
A bunch of random wedges
«1

Comments

  • Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 913 ✭✭
    Seems like a perfect reason to buy a Scotty you don't like to me.
  • Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 913 ✭✭
    Why not just buy an average/poor conditioned scotty of a model you want off ebay? Condition will lower the price, then at least you like what you are getting and condition shouldn't effect how it rolls.
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 396 ✭✭
    Rory4Pres wrote:


    Why not just buy an average/poor conditioned scotty of a model you want off ebay? Condition will lower the price, then at least you like what you are getting and condition shouldn't effect how it rolls.


    Looking right now.....
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • harmoor72harmoor72 Members Posts: 130 ✭✭
    I have seen these Detour's with the funky centerpiece removed and a copper insert made for them so they end up looking like a Buttonback. May be worth a try if you could get the Detour cheap enough.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: [/font]taylormade-small.jpg SLDR C 12*
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wood: [/font]callaway-small.jpg [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FT-i Squareway 18*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrids: [/font]ping-small.jpg [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]K15 4H/23* 5H/27*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: [/font]ulAVttu.png [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]F7 One-Length 6-9[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: [/font]default_cleveland-small.jpg [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Niblicks P/42*, D/49*, S/56* [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font]callaway-small.jpg [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sure Out Lob/58*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: [/font]titelist-small.jpg ZSoHrb9.png [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Studio Select Squareback No.1[/font]
  • Spooky67Spooky67 Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭
    The Detour is quite “unique” looking. The Futura line has its detractors too, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,713 ✭✭
    I dunno, I have bought 2 scotties and 1 Betti from the used rack at PGASS for a bit more and bit less than $100 condition depending. None are that ugly. My sons Cali looks like he frames houses with it but thats his fault.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,757 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 2, 2018 #8
    Spry Evo makes a nice looking insert for the Detour. I've bought TM inserts from him. This might be a nice project. Remove the OEM insert, send it to BOS for polish and black oxide finish, black or white paint fill and then install the copper insert and black elastomer. Could be sweet.

    https://www.spryevo....cameron-detour/
    Post edited by Unknown User on

    Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 80, stiff
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 396 ✭✭
    dbdors wrote:


    Spry Evo makes a nice looking insert for the Detour. I've bought TM inserts from him. This might be a nice project. Remove the OEM insert, send it to BOS for polish and black oxide finish, black or white paint fill and then install the copper insert and black elastomer. Could be sweet.

    https://www.spryevo....cameron-detour/




    I can across those but at over $100 they are a bit pricey. If I was determined to own a Scotty I could go this route with that craigslist one I found but if Im investing $200 I might as well put that towards one I would really want instead of a compromise.
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
    Baitkiller wrote:


    I dunno, I have bought 2 scotties and 1 Betti from the used rack at PGASS for a bit more and bit less than $100 condition depending. None are that ugly. My sons Cali looks like he frames houses with it but thats his fault.


    " looks like he frames houses with it " that is a great visual.

    Well done... lol.
  • AKHx03AKHx03 Members Posts: 222
    harmoor72 wrote:


    I have seen these Detour's with the funky centerpiece removed and a copper insert made for them so they end up looking like a Buttonback. May be worth a try if you could get the Detour cheap enough.




    I’ve seen these too and they actually look really good with the conversion.
    2017 TaylorMade M2 10.5° HZRDOUS Black 6.5 (set at 8.5°)
    Bridgestone J33 3W 15° Purple Ice 75FX
    Titleist 716 T-MB (3-4) Tour Issue X100
    JPX 900 Tour (5-PW) DG X100
    Vokey SM6 50° Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54° Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 58° Steel Gray
    Evnroll ER2 34” 355g
  • smeech8000smeech8000 Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin' Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    Twism86 wrote:

    dbdors wrote:


    Spry Evo makes a nice looking insert for the Detour. I've bought TM inserts from him. This might be a nice project. Remove the OEM insert, send it to BOS for polish and black oxide finish, black or white paint fill and then install the copper insert and black elastomer. Could be sweet.

    https://www.spryevo....cameron-detour/




    I can across those but at over $100 they are a bit pricey. If I was determined to own a Scotty I could go this route with that craigslist one I found but if Im investing $200 I might as well put that towards one I would really want instead of a compromise.




    In fairness, it sounds like your only two criteria at the moment are:

    1) Putter must say Scotty Cameron

    2) Sale price needs to be $100 or less



    Why not figure out what you want (headshape, weight, lie angle, etc.) then use that information to dictate your search?



    Provided you find someone locally to beadblast the head (after you DIY the disassembly and smooth out the dings with sandpaper, then put it back together at the end), you're basically getting a mint Newport 2 Buttonback for ~$250. While a bit above your pricepoint, IMO that is a value you just won't find anywhere else. Really not much material, elbow grease, and technical knowledge required for a job like this, and there's plenty of old threads around here concerning this exact mod.



    If you're committed to getting deals, you have to be willing to put in a little extra effort... image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />
    Titleist 915D4 9.5*
    Titleist 909f3 15*
    Titleist 913h 19*
    Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
    Cally Forged 50/54/58
    Lajosi Sensor
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,849 ✭✭
    makes for a great door stop.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • smeech8000smeech8000 Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin' Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    edited Jul 3, 2018 #14
    Here's a pretty good walkthrough of the process:



    www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1561758-my-detour-2-refinish-a-diy-buttonback/



    OP actually fabbed his own insert from bar stock... thankfully you can get the pre-sized insert from Spry, however for those intrepid DIY'ers out there, there's always the hard way!



    P.S. in searching for this thread I found that these putters - there's an NP 2 and an NP 2.5 shown in the thread - were sold on BST (by the refinisher, Cardoza) about 6 months ago.
    Titleist 915D4 9.5*
    Titleist 909f3 15*
    Titleist 913h 19*
    Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
    Cally Forged 50/54/58
    Lajosi Sensor
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 396 ✭✭
    smeech8000 wrote:

    Twism86 wrote:

    dbdors wrote:


    Spry Evo makes a nice looking insert for the Detour. I've bought TM inserts from him. This might be a nice project. Remove the OEM insert, send it to BOS for polish and black oxide finish, black or white paint fill and then install the copper insert and black elastomer. Could be sweet.

    https://www.spryevo....cameron-detour/




    I can across those but at over $100 they are a bit pricey. If I was determined to own a Scotty I could go this route with that craigslist one I found but if Im investing $200 I might as well put that towards one I would really want instead of a compromise.




    In fairness, it sounds like your only two criteria at the moment are:

    1) Putter must say Scotty Cameron

    2) Sale price needs to be $100 or less



    Why not figure out what you want (headshape, weight, lie angle, etc.) then use that information to dictate your search?



    Provided you find someone locally to beadblast the head (after you DIY the disassembly and smooth out the dings with sandpaper, then put it back together at the end), you're basically getting a mint Newport 2 Buttonback for ~$250. While a bit above your pricepoint, IMO that is a value you just won't find anywhere else. Really not much material, elbow grease, and technical knowledge required for a job like this, and there's plenty of old threads around here concerning this exact mod.



    If you're committed to getting deals, you have to be willing to put in a little extra effort... image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />




    Im really just looking for almost any of the Newports for a good deal, preferably one with an insert and not just a pure milled face. However, I wont turn down a milled Newport!
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • rgiff096rgiff096 Members Posts: 7
    The detour is hideous.
  • smeech8000smeech8000 Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin' Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    rgiff096 wrote:


    The detour is hideous.




    cFgbAgF.jpg

    7Y7b54P.jpg





    Titleist 915D4 9.5*
    Titleist 909f3 15*
    Titleist 913h 19*
    Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
    Cally Forged 50/54/58
    Lajosi Sensor
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members Posts: 1,476 ✭✭
    rgiff096 wrote:
    The detour is hideous.


    Depends how you look at it

  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 396 ✭✭
    That copper insert is not bad. Now if I was able to add an alignment line after doing that, It would be really nice!
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • smeech8000smeech8000 Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin' Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    Twism86 wrote:


    That copper insert is not bad. Now if I was able to add an alignment line after doing that, It would be really nice!




    Masking tape + nail polish = cheap alignment line
    Titleist 915D4 9.5*
    Titleist 909f3 15*
    Titleist 913h 19*
    Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
    Cally Forged 50/54/58
    Lajosi Sensor
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,757 ClubWRX
    Skhacker wrote:

    rgiff096 wrote:
    The detour is hideous.


    Depends how you look at it



    did you do the black oxide yourself or was it sent to someone? Looks good.

    Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 80, stiff
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • smeech8000smeech8000 Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin' Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    dbdors wrote:

    Skhacker wrote:

    rgiff096 wrote:
    The detour is hideous.


    Depends how you look at it



    did you do the black oxide yourself or was it sent to someone? Looks good.




    I agree - most likely a DIY Caswell's (stainless blackener).
    Titleist 915D4 9.5*
    Titleist 909f3 15*
    Titleist 913h 19*
    Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
    Cally Forged 50/54/58
    Lajosi Sensor
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,757 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 6, 2018 #23
    smeech8000 wrote:


    I agree - most likely a DIY Caswell's (stainless blackener).


    Yes, looks like Caswell's which is why I asked.

    Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 80, stiff
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭
    I actually don't mind how the detour np2 looks. The futura on the other hand.... lol however i would like to state that i'd use a brick attached to a broom handle if it would guarantee i'd make 90% of my shots from 15 ft and in. Looks are always a plus but you can't argue with results
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members Posts: 1,476 ✭✭
    Yes it's Caswells for stainless.
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
    smeech8000 wrote:

    rgiff096 wrote:


    The detour is hideous.




    cFgbAgF.jpg

    7Y7b54P.jpg






    i have come across the Detour for cheap over the years and always passed. I wonʻt the next one after seeing these customs. Sharp looking and well done. That video of The Heavy is nasty.... doesnʻt get any better than some rock/soul/funk. Good stuff.
  • FlyOverFlyOver SoCalMembers Posts: 394 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2018 #27
    rgiff096 wrote:


    The detour is hideous.




    I bought this detour for $88 and had it shipped to PJ Putters in the UK to have refinished and an copper insert made. He does as good or better job than BOS and I have had several putters refinished at BOS.

    www.theputterroom.com
    Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-GD AD IZ 7S shaft
    Taylormade M6 3W-GD AD IZ 8S shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Scotty Cameron modified Detour Newport 2 putter
    Scotty Cameron Black Mist Notchback Putter
    Titleist yellow ProV1X 
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
    [email protected] that is a sweet custom.

    We have a new leader in the clubhouse....
  • FlyOverFlyOver SoCalMembers Posts: 394 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2018 #29
    Ghostwedge wrote:


    [email protected] that is a sweet custom.

    We have a new leader in the clubhouse....




    If the Detour is modified right, it can resemble the Scotty 10th Anniversary Terrylium putter (pic below) that fetches over $1,250 on EBay. Both were released the same year and the only difference I see is the little notch by the topline hosel.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-GD AD IZ 7S shaft
    Taylormade M6 3W-GD AD IZ 8S shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Scotty Cameron modified Detour Newport 2 putter
    Scotty Cameron Black Mist Notchback Putter
    Titleist yellow ProV1X 
  • bigcountry1219bigcountry1219 Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    The Futuras are by far the ugliest. Not sure why anyone likes those things.
  • bdubs3316bdubs3316 Members Posts: 412 ✭✭


    The Futuras are by far the ugliest. Not sure why anyone likes those things.




    looks may not be the best...but it was the best rolling putter I think I've ever putted with. Never seemed to skip coming off the face...just straight to rolling.
    Driver - TaylorMade M3 8.5* w/ Aldila Synergy Black Prototype 70TX tipped 1"
    Fairway wood - 2016 M2 15* w/ HZRDUS Black 85 6.5 tipped 1"
    Irons
    Titleist 716 TMB 2 iron (17*) w/ Project X HA1

    Titleist 716 TMB 4 iron (22*) & Titleist 716 TMB 5 iron (26*) w/ KBS Tour V LE 125
    Mizuno MP-69 6 iron (30*),
    7 iron (34*), 8 iron (38*), 9 iron (42*) all w/ KBS Tour V LE 125
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 46F black, Vokey SM6 50F black,
    Vokey 55* V grind oil can, Vokey SM6 60L black & TaylorMade Hi Toe 64* all w/ KBS 610 125
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 7 Dual Balance 38"
    Ball - TaylorMade TP5x
Sign In or Register to comment.