2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

P790 UDI vs Original UDI

iyi4iyian

Scenario: Had the original UDI with a C-Taper Lite Stiff Flex shaft, to keep it short I loved it...in typical WRX'er fashion I got rid of it and picked up the P790 UDI with a stiff Hzrdus shaft and I can't hit it worth of sh!t. It is a complete nightmare!!! I play the P790's with Tour Issued S400's in my long irons (4,5&6) and have no issues with them.

Question: What do you think the reasoning behind this is? Should I put an C-Taper Lite or Tour Issued S400 in the P790 UDI?

Any input would be helpful, thanks!

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 10.5º
Fairways: Taylormade Original One 13.5º & SIM2 21º 
Irons: Taylormade P770 4-6 & P7MC 7-PW
Wedges: Taylormade Milled Grind 3 50º, 54º, 60º & Hi Toe 64º
Putter: Taylormade MySpider X Black - 34 inches

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play the p790 udi with the same shaft as my irons (also P790s) and it's an easy and smooth transition. Still get crazy distance and super forgiving. I never even tried the Hzard.

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

I just posted the same thing in another thread and I agree with MrShield. The swingweight may be in line with your other clubs but you've dropped around 30g of static weight with that shaft switch and that is significant and could make the club feel uncontrollably light when compared to your next iron down that actually has a 50g difference in weight. For me personally I like something that is around 10-15g lighter as I feel that makes a very nice progression so i'd personally try a Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400, I think that could be a perfect match there coming from your irons.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I agree with others that weight is probably the issue. I couldn’t get any consistently in my DI with shafts lighter than 110 grams when playing 130 gm shafts in rest of my irons. Now that I have transitioned to 105 gram graphite in my irons, lowering my DI to 95 gram works.

I much prefer the original UDI's and love the stock C-Taper Lite Satin Finish 110 shafts in those!...So much so, that I have now installed that shaft in my other irons as well!

It's hard to imagine another driving iron being longer or straighter off the tee than my (16*) #1 original UDI.

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

The C taper shafts are great in these! Normally play X100s, but found the C taper lites to be a great choice for the UDI. Excellent match.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

Interesting subject... I guess I’m just apart of the trend. I took out my c taper lite 115 and put in a UST prototype utility 110f5 and I can’t hit it for s*** either. I was hitting my 18* UDI with the c taper great, just wanted more distance, thus I chose graphite. For context I game the c taper 130g in my irons. Idk if I should put the c taper back in or what.

Stock length for the UDI was 39.25” stock length for the 790udi is 40”. When I put in the UST I had it built to total length of 40”. I was curious if my contact was off due to the length change but I really doubt it. Even when I choke down to account for that change I still can’t hit it. It feels like it’s twisting too much due to the torque and the face can’t get into the proper position. Im spraying it all over, struggling to fine the center of the club face. And before someone blames the swing, I can certianly say it’s not because of that.

I have a Project X HB6 blue I think I may try. Stiffer tip section. Idk what to think.

Anyone else having issues launching the 790 udi with a Hzrdus way too high? It looks like a 7 iron going up. I play c taper 120s in my normal irons and have been debating a tour v 110 in the udi. Any thoughts?

Taylormade M5 9 Hzrdus Black
Cobra F6 Baffler Rip Alpha 70x
TaylorMade  790 UDI 2 Atmos Blue 8x
TaylorMade PSI 4, 5 irons KBS Tour V
TaylorMade PSI Tour 6-PW KBS Tour V
Cleveland RTX4 50, 54
Vokey SM7 58 D

Anyone else having issues launching the 790 udi with a Hzrdus way too high? It looks like a 7 iron going up. I play c taper 120s in my normal irons and have been debating a tour v 110 in the udi. Any thoughts?

It would only look like a 7-iron going up if you were delivering the club with an effective loft of a 7-iron so i'd be more concerned about delivery than shaft in that case.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Bridgestone 

decided to go with the c taper lite 110... however, they have a tip size of .355 while the UDI takes .370.... what is the solution

decided to go with the c taper lite 110... however, they have a tip size of .355 while the UDI takes .370.... what is the solution

The C-Taper Lite 110 (Stiff) Shaft is actually available in both .355 and .370 tip sizes, and you can always use a shim to install a .355T shaft going into a 370 parallel hosel.

However, that said, you really don't have the problem you think you do here because both the original UDI and the P-790 UDI actually have a .355T hosel size, and are not .370 parallel like you said above! .

Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts

The C-Taper Lite 110 (Stiff) Shaft is actually available in both .355 and .370 tip sizes, and you can always use a shim to install a .355T shaft going into a 370 parallel hosel.

However, that said, you really don't have the problem you think you do here because both the original UDI and the P-790 UDI actually have a .355T hosel size, and are not .370 parallel like you said above! .

according to taylormade it is a .370

Not according to TM's website!...Even the P-790 UDI Graphite Hazardous 85 stock shaft is a.355T.

Here's a link to the TM site so you can see for yourself what TM really says: P790 UDI - TaylorMade Golf

And by the way...you're welcome!

good thing taylormade reps are reliable

Not according to TM's website!...Even the P-790 UDI Graphite Hazardous 85 stock shaft is a.355T.

Here's a link to the TM site so you can see for yourself what TM really says: P790 UDI - TaylorMade Golf

And by the way...you're welcome!

good thing taylormade reps are reliable

Seems the TM Rep was that gave you the bad information 'assumed' that any iron or hybrid club that came stock with a graphite stock shaft must be a .370 bore. That is simply not the case and a very stupid conclusion on his part!... :yes:

Sadly, he's not the first or the only TM Rep to pass out bad information and/or bad advice!

Wrong

I have a P790 UDI 2i and just picked up a TP UDI #1. Reshafted both myself and they are .355 taper. I'm really blown away with the TP UDI #1, very easy to hit and goes a mile. The P790 UDI looks and and plays like a traditional 2 iron, but with a slightly mushy feel, not all that forgiving too. Thinking of putting the P790 UDI up for sale soon.

For me, I played both the older UDI and now have the new P790.. I think the older one was a bit more forgiving and launched slightly higher. The new one is definitely a more muted feel and to me, seems slightly lower launching. Shaft can have an influence on that as well but I think both are fine clubs.

I have a P790 UDI 2i and just picked up a TP UDI #1. Reshafted both myself and they are .355 taper. I'm really blown away with the TP UDI #1, very easy to hit and goes a mile. The P790 UDI looks and and plays like a traditional 2 iron, but with a slightly mushy feel, not all that forgiving too. Thinking of putting the P790 UDI up for sale soon.

Curious, what shaft did you settle on for the 1-iron?

For me, I played both the older UDI and now have the new P790.. I think the older one was a bit more forgiving and launched slightly higher. The new one is definitely a more muted feel and to me, seems slightly lower launching. Shaft can have an influence on that as well but I think both are fine clubs.

Curious, what shaft did you settle on for the 1-iron?

I'm not a fast swinger, about 90-94mph with driver. I put a Tensei Blue (non Pro) 80 regular hybrid shaft that's cheap $37 from Golfworks. It's a .370 tip shaft but I sanded it down to fit the .355 hosel. I really love the TP UDI, like you mentioned it is more forgiving and does launch higher than the P790 UDI, which is probably better for me with my swing speed. My TP UDI is primarily an off the tee club for me. I would only really consider using it off the deck if I need to hit a shot extremely low under trees or if the wind is absolutely blowing. I can hit it about 220-225 total off the tee, which is huge for me. My 3 wood off the deck goes about 220-250 depending on the conditions.

I found that the P790 UDI has a lot smaller sweet spot than I would want in a driving iron. I don't mind the lower launch, but it is a lot less friendly compared to the TP/RSI UDI. It definitely would best fit players with faster swingspeeds.

I was also looking in the TM Website and it indeed says they the Hzrdus stock shaft says .370” I am trying to post a screen shot but it won’t let me. Here is a link to the info under specifications. This worries me a bit as I have one on order and was under the impression it’s a .370” hosel, I have a hybrid shaft waiting to go in.

https://www.taylormadegolf.ca/P790-UDI/DW-AL419-1.html?cgid=taylormade-irons&lang=en_CA#lang=en_CA&start=2&

Wrong

I was also looking in the TM Website and it indeed says they the Hzrdus stock shaft says .370" I am trying to post a screen shot but it won't let me. Here is a link to the info under specifications. This worries me a bit as I have one on order and was under the impression it's a .370" hosel, I have a hybrid shaft waiting to go in.

https://www.taylorma...=en_CA&start=2

so maybe it is .370 :dntknw: :dntknw: :dntknw:

The shaft may indeed be .370 that is shaved down to .355 for installation. Generally speaking with Taylormade, their "player's clubs" are .355 and their "game improvement" clubs are .370.

Bridgestone 

I own the P790 UDI and it is a .355 taper. Installed a taper tip KBS CTaper in it.

I own the P790 UDI and it is a .355 taper. Installed a taper tip KBS CTaper in it.

How do you like it with the c taper? How does it compare to what was in it before?

Taylormade M5 9 Hzrdus Black
Cobra F6 Baffler Rip Alpha 70x
TaylorMade  790 UDI 2 Atmos Blue 8x
TaylorMade PSI 4, 5 irons KBS Tour V
TaylorMade PSI Tour 6-PW KBS Tour V
Cleveland RTX4 50, 54
Vokey SM7 58 D

How do you like it with the c taper? How does it compare to what was in it before?

I didn't even try the Hzard. I want the same feel and weight as my irons in the UDI. Very much enjoying UDI and it just blends in perfectly with my set. Having said that I am really tempted to try the Tensei Pro White in it because I like that shaft so much.

Rather than focus on any particular shaft tip size, focus on what the hosel bore of the club itself is. There can be no doubt that the P-790 UDI 2-iron has a .355T hosel bore just like the P-790 irons have.

It is conceivable the Hazardous 85 used is a 'special made for TM version' (with a .355 taper tip), but it is also possible that graphite stock shaft was a .370 tip before installation in the club. However, if indeed the shaft began it's life as a .370 tip, then it would have had to be shaved down to fit into the .355 bore of the P-790 UDI by TM when the shaft was installed.

While most graphite iron/hybrid shafts are .370, that is not always the case!

:golfer: .

Had p790 udi with tour ad driving iron 95x.

Hated it.

Have it now with steel fiber 95x... best club in the bag.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)