Best Yardage Apps?

I'm 24 years old and with my current disposable income I'm too cheap to spend $250+ on a good rangefinder. I typically use the Swing x Swing app for yardages on the courses I play. Overall the app is ok, but I get several glitches each round where the app just stops working.

For those who use apps on your phone for yardage, do you have a recommendation on free apps that give good yardage to pin and hazards? 18 birdies is one app that I've seen a bunch of advertisements for in recent days.

Comments

• pseudoswedepseudoswede Members Posts: 1,319 ✭✭
    I use Sky Droid. Best $3 I've ever spent.

I zoom in on the green, and then long press where the pin appears to be to give me the distance. I'm within 2 yards of someone using a laser right next to me. Good enough for me.
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end."

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping S56 3-PW (purple dot)
    Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (purple dot)
    Ping Redwood Piper S 34"
    Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)
  • HellstormHellstorm Posts: 513 ✭✭
    I have the a laser rangefinder but I use the sky droid app as well. I use it for distances to hazards and when I am just not in the mood to use the laser. I'm not precise enough most of the time to bother with the rangefinder. A few yards isn't going to make or break me usually.
    TM M3 9.5 Tensie CK Pro White TS
    Callaway X-Hot 15 degree
    PXG 19 degree hybrid
    PXG 0311P 4-GW
    BV 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,170 ✭✭
    18 Birdies is okay. My biggest gripe is how long it can take at times to triangulate the yardages. Say my true yardage is 150 to center.... it'll start at 165... then go down to 140.... Then sometimes up to 15-120 seconds later, I get the final 150 read out. There have been numerous times where I flew greens because I didn't give the app enough time to "think" or do whatever it's doing with the GPS and I hit the wrong club going quickly off the first read out.

I just use a laser now.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• zzyzxx33zzyzxx33 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭
    I use the free version of Golf Pad.
  • evgolferevgolfer Posts: 186 ✭✭
    I never used a golf gps app on my phone because I was worried about battery drain. Maybe things have improved on that front in the intervening years.

I got the Bushnell neo plus a number of years back, and it uses minimal battery and no monthly/annual fees. Only problem is I sometimes have to type in the name of the course I'm playing, but after that I am set. I pull it out of my pocket, it gives the yardage, and then I hit the shot. Very simple. Can also give distance to hazards, but I don't use that feature.

I think the current version is the Bushnell Phantom, around $100.
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy SoDakClubWRX Posts: 1,412 ClubWRX
    I've used the grint before, and it is alright.

I have downloaded and really wanted to like the TaylorMade myRoundPro, but I just can't seem to get used to logging each shot where I hit it. I also dislike how you have to set the pin and each putt. It seems like if you really wanted to track everything accurately it would really slow down your rounds.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • jpdxjpdx Members Posts: 1,536 ✭✭
    edited Jul 3, 2018 #8
    hole 19 is a free app (used around 385 rounds so far) for f/m/b and tap the hazard to get a distance to it or Costco caddytek laser for $130.

I doubt any app will give you yardage to pin.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Srixon z785 hzrdus black 6.5
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 DG Pro s300 -2*
    Nike
    Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300 -2*
    Nike
    Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
    Nike Method Matter m4-12
    Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

b-team/travel bag
    Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Pro driver 11.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300 -2*
    Nike Engage 50* SS 54* SS 60* DS
    Nike Method Origin b2-01
    Cure CX-2
    Nike Air Sport II and Hyperadapt
  • trileriantrilerian Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I have been using GolfLogix for a few years. The free version gives you center of the green distance. The paid version you can tap anywhere and get a distance. I like that it has all the information for the courses that I play and that I can track my index on the app. Sometimes I think that I want to get a dedicated gps unit, but I don't. I do have a bushnell laser range finder as well and use it frequently also.
  • Spooky67Spooky67 Members Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    jpdx wrote:

hole 19 is a free app (used around 385 rounds so far) for f/m/b and tap the hazard to get a distance to it or Costco caddytek laser for $130.

Hole 19 will give you yardage to the front, pin, and back when you use it with the apple watch.
  • jpdxjpdx Members Posts: 1,536 ✭✭
    Spooky67 wrote:

jpdx wrote:

Hole 19 will give you yardage to the front, pin, and back when you use it with the apple watch.

I can guarantee you that it does NOT give you yd to the pin. Front/middle/back only.
    Srixon z785 hzrdus black 6.5
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 DG Pro s300 -2*
    Nike
    Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300 -2*
    Nike
    Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
    Nike Method Matter m4-12
    Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

b-team/travel bag
    Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Pro driver 11.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300 -2*
    Nike Engage 50* SS 54* SS 60* DS
    Nike Method Origin b2-01
    Cure CX-2
    Nike Air Sport II and Hyperadapt
  • cmckelvmicmckelvmi ClubWRX Posts: 104 ClubWRX
    I too use the Swing x Swing app and haven't had any issues with it. I also have a Procision Pro NX7 Pro range finder and whenever I compare yardages to the Swing x Swing app they're usually spot on. Maybe you need to delete the app and re-install it?
  • mjfornmjforn Posts: 209 ✭✭
    I've used Golf Logix one season, Hole 19 a few rounds, but I prefer SkyDriod three seasons.

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    Matt

Callaway GBB Epic 9*

Callaway Rogue Graphite R-Flex 4-AW

Cleveland CBX 52*, 56*, 60*

Odyssey Works SS #1 Putter

Ammo:
    K 3s
    Titleist Tour Soft
    Titliest NXT s
    K Sigs (in the shag bag)

• Twism86Twism86 Posts: 377 ✭✭
    I use The Grint for yardages but it only gives you center and some landing area distances. Its accurate enough for my game. I also like the fact that I can use it as a scorecard and keep track of previous rounds.
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,437 ✭✭
    Hellstorm wrote:

I have the a laser rangefinder but I use the sky droid app as well. I use it for distances to hazards and when I am just not in the mood to use the laser. I'm not precise enough most of the time to bother with the rangefinder. A few yards isn't going to make or break me usually.

Same here, I have an Bushnell X2 but I also have Skydroid for score keeping & GPS when I need it.

Also, a huge advantage with Skydroud is that you can edit and add courses, check front/back/middle of greens, bunkers, hazards like drains etc. You can also see Satellite image of course or go simple GPS with front/back/middle of green.

For $3 it's well worth it. You can also customize what score tracking you want, GIR, hit fairways etc. Great deal & CUSTOMIZATION for a $3 app
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)

Ball: Srixon XV
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • snoilr1snoilr1 Posts: 507 ✭✭
    jpdx wrote:

Spooky67 wrote:

jpdx wrote:

I can guarantee you that it does NOT give you yd to the pin. Front/middle/back only.

I’ve used Hole 19 for a couple years, and the GPS works well without killing my battery. Yardages are usually within a yard or two of markers, or friends laser readings. You can toggle between a satelite map of the hole that lets you see hazards and measure distances to them and just f/m/b yardage display.

The free version does a lot of stuff I don’t bother with like score and club tracking, and a social media area of the app. You can pay a couple bucks and upgrade to more features if you want too.

I can’t compare it to any other apps, but for free, it does fine as a GPS rangefinder. As long as I start my round with a decent battery strength, I don’t worry about running low.
    Titleist 913 D3
    R7 Steel 16Deg 4W
    RBZ 19.5Deg 3H
    Srixon Z745 5-P
    SM6 50.12F
    SM1 54.14, 58.08
    ProPlatinum mid-slant
  • bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,224 ✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

18 Birdies is okay. My biggest gripe is how long it can take at times to triangulate the yardages. Say my true yardage is 150 to center.... it'll start at 165... then go down to 140.... Then sometimes up to 15-120 seconds later, I get the final 150 read out. There have been numerous times where I flew greens because I didn't give the app enough time to "think" or do whatever it's doing with the GPS and I hit the wrong club going quickly off the first read out.

I just use a laser now.

If you are waiting until you get to the ball to wake the app up you are waiting too long. While you are walking or driving up to the ball just wake the app up. It will find the right satellites and give an accurate reading when you reach your ball.
    Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep 14.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 22*
    Maltby DBM 4-PW w. PX LZ 6.0
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58*
    Taylormade TP Mullen
    Callaway Hex Tour Soft
  • ob18ob18 Members Posts: 1,630 ✭✭
    Bought a golf buddy handheld GPS a number of years ago and to this day it still works very well.

Just get to a course turn it on and it finds the course & says proceed to the first tee.

I've only played 1 course which wasn't on it & even to this day isn't available for me to download but outside of that I love it.

Still may want to get a rangefinder well just to have and use from time to time.
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]10* Callaway XR Driver
    15* Nickent 3 Wood
    18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
    Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
    54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges

Odyssey O-Works Red #7 Tank Putter
    Srixon Q-Star Tour[/font]