US Mid Amateur

gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-ChiefClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX
What does it take to win this tourney? Any stats? What kind of handicaps do winner have? It's my goal and was curious what level the play is at?

thanks
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
Putter: SC Newport 3
Ball: AVX/ProV1

Comments

• DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,917 ClubWRX
    Legitimate +3 or better with significant prior high level tournament success.

When I say legitimate +3 I mean 70 is a bad score for you at your home course.

When I say prior high level tournament success I mean winning major metropolitan or state amateur events.
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX
    ****, yeah just getting back into it hard core since junior/college days (33 now). was around a 0/+1 then and handicap has been dropping nicely over last year 10 to now 2). plan to play in big florida am events and goal to get to us am within 3-4 years.
  • pearsonifiedpearsonified Extreme enthusiast Members Posts: 1,791 ✭✭
    plan to play in big florida am events and goal to get to us am within 3-4 years.

I'm basically doing the same thing here in Texas, and man—it is so much more difficult than I ever would have imagined.

I've played about 500 rounds since May 2014, and I'm only now to the point where I can compete with (and often beat) most of the good-but-not-super-serious amateurs.

College guys and competitive Mid-Ams are a tier above me; while I can hang with them on my best day, I still get obliterated in multi-round events.

It's tough out there.
    Callaway Rogue 9.5º •• Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.5
    TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65x
    Callaway Apex 20º •• Project X EvenFlow Black Hybrid 6.5
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 (22º) •• Paderson IMRT KG95-IRT30
    Adams CMB 5-P (27º-46º) •• DG TI S400
    TM MG 50º/9º •• Project X LZ 5.5
    TM MG 54º/11º •• DG Wedge
    TM ATV Grind Tour Spin 60º •• KBS 105 Wedge
    Odyssey Versa 330M BWB 34"

For sale:
    Tour-only Cleveland 588 CB 4-P with PX 6.5

2018 Tournament Index: 2.56 (see results)
    2018 Tournament Anti: 7.76

Current anti-handicap: 4.7
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,721 ✭✭
    The top mid ams I work with , a few have made match play the last couple years, all shoot mid 60s regularly and many are former professionals who got regular jobs. It’s realy not that far behind what top amateur golf is.
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    Drudersh wrote:

Legitimate +3 or better with significant prior high level tournament success.

When I say legitimate +3 I mean 70 is a bad score for you at your home course.

When I say prior high level tournament success I mean winning major metropolitan or state amateur events.

I agree. Parziale is currently a +2.6 and won it last year.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
    iteachgolf wrote:

The top mid ams I work with , a few have made match play the last couple years, all shoot mid 60s regularly and many are former professionals who got regular jobs. It's realy not that far behind what top amateur golf is.

ok, I'm counting on my future lessons with you to get me there! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • StanDarshStanDarsh Members Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I'm in same boat as OP and starting to try and get back into competitive golf. I'm more interested as to what to expect in trying to qualify for a US Mid AM. There's about a week left to register and I'm trying to decide if it is worth the fee to try and qualify or to try and wait one more year.
    Titleist 917 D3 9.5* 44" - Grafalloy Blue S
    Titleist 906F4 15.5* - Grafalloy Prolaunch Red
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3i 19* - PX 6.0
    Titleist 710 AP2 3i - PX 6.0
    Titleist 708 AP2 4-9i - PX 6.0
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 48/10
    Callaway Mack Daddy 3 54/10
    Titleist Vokey SM7 58/14K
    Bobby Grace Sunset
  • swizbeatzswizbeatz Members Posts: 5,612 ✭✭
    StanDarsh wrote:

I'm in same boat as OP and starting to try and get back into competitive golf. I'm more interested as to what to expect in trying to qualify for a US Mid AM. There's about a week left to register and I'm trying to decide if it is worth the fee to try and qualify or to try and wait one more year.

A couple under
    Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link
    That's what it looked like from last years results, two closest to me are KCMO and NEB. The NEB one did have a +2 qualify but that could've been course/wind. I've never played either of the two courses that have qualifiers by me either so maybe another year of practice may be best lol
    Bobby Grace Sunset
  • OkieSpladleOkieSpladle Members Posts: 17
    StanDarsh wrote:

That's what it looked like from last years results, two closest to me are KCMO and NEB. The NEB one did have a +2 qualify but that could've been course/wind. I've never played either of the two courses that have qualifiers by me either so maybe another year of practice may be best lol

If you're eligible, available, and the entry fee won't hurt you, enter! At worst, you get the experience of playing in the qualifying event which might help calm your nerves next time around. At best you surprise yourself and play well. Get those tournament reps!

StanDarsh wrote:

If you're eligible, available, and the entry fee won't hurt you, enter! At worst, you get the experience of playing in the qualifying event which might help calm your nerves next time around. At best you surprise yourself and play well. Get those tournament reps!

Kind of what I'm thinking, just asked for the day off work as soon as its approved I'll be signing up. Goal is to get into one in the next 2-3 years so like you said experience will be great
    Bobby Grace Sunset
  • Ty_WebbTy_Webb New YorkMembers Posts: 2,969 ✭✭
    Stewart Hagestad won this a couple of years ago. He was playing in some Met area events and I didn't see him shoot worse than about 68 all summer. He shot 65 a couple of times and 61 in the Met Amateur (which he won). He won the Mid Am with a huge comeback over Scott Harvey I think. He went on to make the cut in the Masters the following year and was on the Walker Cup team. He can play. Standard to get into the tournament is decent. To qualify for the match play you probably have to shoot around even par over 2 rounds. To win, you have to take it deep.
    Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
    Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump
    Taylor Made UDI 2 iron Diamana Tensei white 90TX
    Titleist 714CB 3, 4
    Titleist 714MB 5-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 and 56 WS
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • OveezyOveezy Members Posts: 146 ✭✭
    Thinking about getting serious about golf. I am getting close to single digit handicap roughly about a 9 at the local courses here in Central Valley of California. It’s just so hot here that it makes it hard during the summer days. This is good advice. Need to get my handicap down more.
    edited Jul 30, 2018 #15
    Ty_Webb wrote:

Stewart Hagestad won this a couple of years ago. He was playing in some Met area events and I didn't see him shoot worse than about 68 all summer. He shot 65 a couple of times and 61 in the Met Amateur (which he won). He won the Mid Am with a huge comeback over Scott Harvey I think. He went on to make the cut in the Masters the following year and was on the Walker Cup team. He can play. Standard to get into the tournament is decent. To qualify for the match play you probably have to shoot around even par over 2 rounds. To win, you have to take it deep.

yeah seems like a solid +2-4 puts u with a shot to win.

my goal to get to there within the next couple yrs
  • oc_mikeoc_mike Members Posts: 12 ✭✭
    How common are caddies at the qualifying level? Do many bring one?
  • golfnhackgolfnhack Members Posts: 2,533 ✭✭
    I am actually REALLY optimistic for qualifying this year. Hitting form at the right time. My qualifier is on August 20th. 132 player field for 6 spots. Downside is that at 48, I give up a lot of yardage to the 24 -32 year olds. Plus side is that I have worked really hard on making sure I have consistent set up for each shot. It's going to be tough, but as mentioned, I am more optimistic than any other year.
    "Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers Posts: 2,626 ✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2018 #18
    A friend that I play with regularly at my home club qualified for USGA MidAm out of KC qualifier with a 67. Three qualifiers out of KC shot 67, 67 & 68. Par 72 Oakwood CC.

Probably will play with him in a hour or so. Happy for him cause he worked hard on his game and he has improved a lot since last summer.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    917F2 16.5* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
    816H1 19 & 23 Speeder 8.8 stiff
    Z585 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
    J15CB 4-PW Modus 120 stiff
    TM MG Bronze, 52*, 56* & 60* Modus Wedge 115
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"

I’ll be taking a caddie mike and would assume most will. For what you pay to try and qualify I want the best chance possible and I feel like carrying my own bag will only hurt plus I have a buddy who really enjoys it. Good luck to everyone qualifying my qualifier is this coming Monday the 13th 24 people for 1 spot and 2 alternates thinking 3-4 under will be the number
    Bobby Grace Sunset
    Yes, good luck to all.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,857 ✭✭
    My buddy has made it to the final 8, losing to Nathan

He's a TOURNEY +3, not your avg country club vanity +3.

He's won the Cdn Mid Am three times, played in two PGA tour events and two US Senior Opens

The top guys are dead solid is what I am saying. There's not many scrappy 76's out there. Now back when the Mid-Am was 40+ up here it was a different story, then it went to 35, then 30 and then finally matched the good old US of A.
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
    cardoustie wrote:

He's won the Cdn Mid Am three times, played in two PGA tour events and two US Senior Opens

The top guys are dead solid is what I am saying. There's not many scrappy 76's out there. Now back when the Mid-Am was 40+ up here it was a different story, then it went to 35, then 30 and then finally matched the good old US of A.

Personally I think the mid-am should be 35+

Either that or create a mid-senior which is 40+, like most states have.

Just as long as a win still comes with a Masters invite, since that is the WHOLE reason I play in it.
  • balladmballadm Augusta, GAMembers Posts: 685 ✭✭
    You can use a push cart instead of carrying. That is my plan anyway.
    Had my qualifier today and although I wasn’t able to qualify I’m pleased with how it all went and the experience was good. Shot 75 but didn’t hit it my best really had to get it around most the day and wasn’t able to make the most of the good chances I gave myself. For my first year back in competitive golf since 2011-12 which was my sophomore year of college it was a good measuring stick to get out there and gives me confidence that I can qualify in the next 3-5 years as I begin to get out and play more. Again good luck to anyone who has qualified or is yet to play in their qualifier.

Bobby Grace Sunset
    StanDarsh wrote:

Had my qualifier today and although I wasn’t able to qualify I’m pleased with how it all went and the experience was good. Shot 75 but didn’t hit it my best really had to get it around most the day and wasn’t able to make the most of the good chances I gave myself. For my first year back in competitive golf since 2011-12 which was my sophomore year of college it was a good measuring stick to get out there and gives me confidence that I can qualify in the next 3-5 years as I begin to get out and play more. Again good luck to anyone who has qualified or is yet to play in their qualifier.

nice. what qualified? I have mine tom. Goal is to shoot even or better. per the head pro he thinks that has a good chance? I wonder where they set the yardage? I assume around 7000.
  • swizbeatzswizbeatz Members Posts: 5,612 ✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:

StanDarsh wrote:

nice. what qualified? I have mine tom. Goal is to shoot even or better. per the head pro he thinks that has a good chance? I wonder where they set the yardage? I assume around 7000.

The two I caddied in were 6600 and 6700. Even and -2 qualified.
    Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link
    gatorMD wrote:
    StanDarsh wrote:

Ours was only 6500ish but that it was tipped out all the way it could be. Medalist and only qualifier was 67 (-4). First alternate was -1 and second was E. They should have a player information thing included with the tee sheet that should have the course setup with yardage’s for holes and course or at least mine did. Best of luck and anything under par should give you a solid chance at a spot.
    Bobby Grace Sunset
  • scottc25scottc25 Members Posts: 633 ✭✭
    golfnhack wrote:

cardoustie wrote:

Just as long as a win still comes with a Masters invite, since that is the WHOLE reason I play in it.

We have a mid-senior in FL at 40+, actually what I'm playing in tomorrow. There are no qualifiers though, just sign up and play. It's 54 holes and a cut to low 60 and ties after 36. I think -2 won it two years ago (hurricane last year) and cut was +16.
    scottc25 wrote:

golfnhack wrote:

cardoustie wrote:

We have a mid-senior in FL at 40+, actually what I'm playing in tomorrow. There are no qualifiers though, just sign up and play. It's 54 holes and a cut to low 60 and ties after 36. I think -2 won it two years ago (hurricane last year) and cut was +16.

Yes... I would be playing in it too... but I will only be in Orlando in 2 weeks. Love the FSGA and the way it is run.
  • rochestergolfer36rochestergolfer36 Members Posts: 61 ✭✭
    I’ve played against two different usga mid-am champs from last 5 years. It’s surprising how consistent they are but don’t win everything around. It’s fun to see know a local guy could compete at the level they did and then be able to compete against them throughout the year. For me I know there are many days I can compete with them, they just have another level I haven’t reached as often. I’m guessing they played at this level the entire week to win. Both are always top 15 in big state events and very tough to beat in matchplay ones. Keeps me focused on my dream of competing at that level.
  • scottc25scottc25 Members Posts: 633 ✭✭
    scottc25 wrote:

golfnhack wrote:

cardoustie wrote:

To put a bow on this one I shot 80-77 and missed the cut which fell at +8. The winner shot -14 this year image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />

First round leader shot 63. He was the best score on that course by 6 shots. Just amazing scoring this year.