$300 dollar budget bag challenge

HoosierHacker89

Indygolfer85 and I have decided to try to spend $300 on a bag to see Iof we can score as close to our handicaps as possible or even score lower. I am opening this up to the golfwrx community to see if anyone else would like to join us. I will be posting pictures and giving updates as we go.

I have so purchased the following:

Ping g10 9* stock tfc shaft, coming from cobra f7+ with whiteboard 63s at 10.5. Played today and drove it horribly. Swing was off, so this club will need some range time. I picked this up for $30 which is a steal for the condition. I have had lots of success in the past with ping drivers, but going from 44” to nearly 46” is going to take some getting used to. May end up cutting her down to a more modest length. I am 5’8”, so long clubs are not ever a good idea.

Titleist 585h 19* with aldila 85s. Played this today and hit it ok. Shorter than i’d Expect but again my swing was awful today. Trying to decide if this club will be my only club between driver and 4 iron or if I need to re-evaluate this purchase. Might end up with a 3 or 4 wood because I historically am not a strong hybrid player. I spent $20 on this club. I currently have a baffler 19* with a matrix code 8 in this slot. It is my favorite club in the bag besides my putter.

Odyssey white hot 2 ball putter: rolled it fairly well today. I had this putter 11 or 12 years ago and it was always really nice. I’ll probably put a line on it to help with alignment. The face is soft and my distance control was ok. I made a few nice putts, but going from a heal toe weighted putter without an insert to this mallet will be an adjustment. Spend $40 on this bad boy, And I am going to enjoy it. I play a redwood anser

I am $90 dollars in so far, so there is lots of $ to work with for irons and wedges. If anyone had suggestions let me know. Been looking at i5/sm5 combo for irons and wedges.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should stop by my place, I have enough for a few budget bags...lol!

Look up some MP60's, Tzoids z101's, lots of good options for irons.

Driver, try the 9015, 9064, f12ls, xtd, xtd pro (boxer)....all the old adams stuff is dirt cheap.

Wedges, try to find a set of the tom watson wedges, they were stupid cheap to begin with....or some Solus.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

Indygolfer85 and I have decided to try to spend $300 on a bag to see Iof we can score as close to our handicaps as possible or even score lower. I am opening this up to the golfwrx community to see if anyone else would like to join us. I will be posting pictures and giving updates as we go.

Ping g10 9* stock tfc shaft, coming from cobra f7+ with whiteboard 63s at 10.5. Played today and drove it horribly. Swing was off, so this club will need some range time. I picked this up for $30 which is a steal for the condition. I have had lots of success in the past with ping drivers, but going from 44” to nearly 46” is going to take some getting used to. May end up cutting her down to a more modest length. I am 5’8”, so long clubs are not ever a good idea.

Titleist 585h 19* with aldila 85s. Played this today and hit it ok. Shorter than i’d Expect but again my swing was awful today. Trying to decide if this club will be my only club between driver and 4 iron or if I need to re-evaluate this purchase. Might end up with a 3 or 4 wood because I historically am not a strong hybrid player. I spent $20 on this club. I currently have a baffler 19* with a matrix code 8 in this slot. It is my favorite club in the bag besides my putter.

Odyssey white hot 2 ball putter: rolled it fairly well today. I had this putter 11 or 12 years ago and it was always really nice. I’ll probably put a line on it to help with alignment. The face is soft and my distance control was ok. I made a few nice putts, but going from a heal toe weighted putter without an insert to this mallet will be an adjustment. Spend $40 on this bad boy, And I am going to enjoy it. I play a redwood anser

I am $90 dollars in so far, so there is lots of $ to work with for irons and wedges. If anyone had suggestions let me know. Been looking at i5/sm5 combo for irons and wedges.

Must be a indiana thing I’m down here in Scottsburg and my whole bags is already less than that!

Wilson D100 4-gw 75.00 (3balls.com)

Taylormade burner draw 40.00(individual)

Odyssey crimson 660 putter 5.00 off a kid at school!

Nike sv tour 56 degree 16.00 (global golf)

Callaway x hot 3 hybrid 19.00 (global golf)

Macgregor mt tour dw design 60 degree 15.00 (global golf)

Callaway x hot 3w 75.00

Titleist 910 D2 driver ($60)

Callaway Optiforce 4 wood ($35)

Adams A12 pro hybrid ($30)

Ping i5 4-pw ($100)

Ping Tour Gorge 56 wedge ($20)

Leaves $55 for your choice of putter. Maybe an Odyssey #3 to keep it classic.

Chose Ping irons and wedge primarily because they will be in better condition than any other set at that price.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

I’ve put together this bag for fun, and because I’ve always liked all these TM clubs at one time or another. It falls in the under 3 bills for sure, and doesn’t hurt my score in the slightest:

TM RBZ Bonded driver

TM V-steel 3-wood steel shaft

TM Rescue 3 original steel shaft

TM 320 irons 4-PW

TM RAC 54

TM TPA V putter

Must be a indiana thing I’m down here in Scottsburg and my whole bags is already less than that!

Wilson D100 4-gw 75.00 (3balls.com)

Taylormade burner draw 40.00(individual)

Odyssey crimson 660 putter 5.00 off a kid at school!

Nike sv tour 56 degree 16.00 (global golf)

Callaway x hot 3 hybrid 19.00 (global golf)

Macgregor mt tour dw design 60 degree 15.00 (global golf)

Callaway x hot 3w 75.00

Definitely a nice lineup for $245. Getting those irons for $75 set you up. Only thing I would change is I like the X2 Hot pro heads in the woods more than the X Hot, but that’s quibbling. Quality work assembling this!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I'm in... recently picked up and played by first round with them. Not much difference

Titleist 983k driver $15

Vsteel 3 wood $20

Ping Zing 3-PW $20. Have the best name ever engraved on them.. Morgan Sprinkle

Vokey 58 degree.. $15

White Hot two ball. $25

Sun mountain Stand bag. $6

Gotta love play it again sports. My local one always has a great selection.

I’m in for in for $85 currently:

-Adams Speedline Fast 10 Driver $25

-Adams Speedline Fast 11 Ti 3w $20

-Ping Redwood Piper $35 (guy at the shop couldn’t believe it was priced that low and almost didn’t let me buy it).

Titleist TSR2+ 12.75*
Ping G425 19.5*

Titleist TS2 4h 22*
Ping i210 5-PW
Vokey SM8 52*/58*
Ping Prime Tyne
Titleist Pro V1

I think this thread is going to be lots of fun and I am really enjoying the challenge. I look forward to seeing who can put together the best bag for the $.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

First you must purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

You gotta go L4Vx driver to start!

I tried doing something like this several years ago in a different thread, but the budget was only $200.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/729483-build-a-bag-for-under-200-bucks/

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I’ve got a set of eye 2’s in the mail that i scooped up for $120. So ...maybe I’ll play along

Eye 2's and the 845's. Not much improvement after those sets IMO. I got a set of 1-SW Eye 2's for $89 at a golf store.

I’ve had the lob wedge for years but have wanted a set recently so I trolled eBay until I found one (1-sw) with zzlites cheap. We’ll see. At the least I want to experiment with using the wedges with my modern set up.

I did this when I made a back-up bag for when I went to school:

Driver -- 907D2 8.5 with a real deal Fuji Evo 569 Stiff ($50)

Fairway -- Mizuno F60 13.5* with a real deal Ozik White Tie 70 Stiff ($50)

Hybrid -- Titleist 585H 19* with a real deal Ozik White Tie 80 Stiff ($50)

Irons -- MacGregor M565 V-Foil 3-PW with Rifle 5.5 ($25)

Wedges -- Taylormade Tp XFT 50, 54, 58 with Dynamic Golds (free)

Putter -- Ping Doc 15 ($70)

I paid $240 all in for everything. I am lucky enough to have some friends who worked at exotic fitting studios that were able to hook me up with some older clubs that had been abandoned and threw some demo shafts in them for the cost of the shafts. The Ping Doc was the only thing I lost money on. Everything else I sold for a profit or broke even on. The irons I think I sold for $150. Some guy traded them in against some Nikes at the shop I work at. I asked him twice if he was sure he only wanted to trade them for $25, he said ya, get rid of them, he tried to sell them to some friends I think that didn't want them so he thought they were worthless. I scooped those quick!! I played them for close to a year...first forged cup face on the market, boys!

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I'm currently playing a rebuilt $25 thrift store set of irons (Hogan Apex Edge 3-PW), so I'd have $275 to spend on the other 6 clubs. A couple $30 used wedges, and $15 thrift store putter would leave me $200 for the 3 clubs at the top end of the bag, which wouldn't be hard to do.

If I had to go out today and build a $300 set, I'd go with the following:

Cobra Bio Cell + Driver ($51.19 at CPO)

Cobra Bio Cell 3W ($35.99 at CPO)

Cobra Bio Cell 3-4H ($26.39 at CPO)

Mizuno MX200 5-PW, GW, SW ($75+15 s/h Ebay item number 163132802964)

That puts me at 11 clubs and about $205 (plus a few more bucks for shipping), leaving plenty of money left for a putter, lob wedge, and another FW/Hyb or driving iron at the top of the bag.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I have a great set of 845s hi-polish irons that I don't need if anyone wants to put them play for this thread. I got them new and used them for two rounds of golf. The 3 iron still has the plastic on head as I only used the 4-PW. Set is 3-PW with regular flex steel shafts.

I went back to the Ping i3 O-size so don't need these!

I also have a wedge set (52 and 56) and a sweet MacGregor Arc Response mallet putter for cheap! Trying to clear out some things!!!

I go through this exercise fairly often when bored and browsing around Global... sometimes with different price constraints (best $150/$200/$300 bag) or brand constraints (cheapest all Cobra/Titleist/Ping) but always with the constraint that I could game the bag with minimal impact on my score. I had an all Titleist bag put together for this one but after seeing Mych's top-of-bag finds on CPO, I decided to check there as well and ended up with the following after coupon codes:

Cobra Bio Cell + Driver - $51.19 (CPO)

Cobra Bio Cell 5-7w - $50.39 (CPO)

Cobra Bio Cell 4-5h - $26.39 (CPO)

Titleist 804.OS 5-Aw - $55.79 (Global)

Titleist SM5 S-Grind Sw - $17.39 (Global)

Titleist SM5 K-Grind Lw - $17.39 (Global)

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11 - $64.39 (Global)

Total - $282.93

If I were going to scrounge and save some more, I'd probably do it with an Adams Tight Lies 2 Fw ($23), Armour 845s irons ($32), and Wilson Kirk Currie KC4 Putter ($27) to get the total down to just under $200. With the bag above as-is, I could probably fit in a putter cover and Super Stroke Slim 1.0 grip to the Global order and still come in under $300.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Both my main bag and my backup bags qualify by quite some margin. I'm a regular Goodwill hunter, so most of my clubs came from the thrifts. Otherwise I just bargain hunt for slightly older equipment. Saves me more money for rounds.

Main bag:

Adams Speedline Fast 10 Driver ($9)

Adams Tight Lies 2014 3 & 5 woods ($10 each)

Adams 9031 21* hybrid ($5)

Taylormade RBZ irons 5-gw ($40)

Titleist SM4 54* & 58* ($5 each)

Cobra Bobby Grace The Cute Kid putter ($11)

$95 total

Backup bag:

Titleist 905R driver ($7)

Yonex Cyberstar Powerbrid 3 wood ($5)

Cleveland Launcher Comp 5 wood ($4)

Adam's idea black super hybrid 20* ($5)

Titleist DCI 762 irons 4-gw ($32)

Titleist SM4 56* ($5)

Bobby Grace AN-7 putter ($12)

$70

2nd backup bag:

Nike SQ Dymo Driver ($15)

Nike SQ Dymo 3 wood ($6)

Mizuno T-Zoid Comp EZ irons 3-pw ($60)

Fourteen RM-11 52* & 56* wedges ($10 each)

Yes! Sophia putter ($5)

$96