Polo shirts that are good untucked?

hardcaliberhardcaliber Members Posts: 704 ✭✭
I pretty much never tuck in my shirt. Its hard to find a shirt that doesn't look like a skirt. I'm 5'9". Most of my body could work with a small but I have to go with a medium to accommodate broad shoulders.

Does anyone have any suggestion for a brand or style that is designed to be left untucked or just looks decent and not super long untucked?

Comments

• DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 690 ✭✭
    No such thing as a good looking untucked polo shirt on the golf course. Most decent golf courses have a dress code that require shirts be tucked in.
  • OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru ClubWRX Posts: 1,974 ClubWRX
    I’d try a small under armor, loose fit. Short to be untucked and loose for shoulders.
    TaylorMade M6 Driver
    Cobra F9 Fwy
    PXG 19 Hyb
    PXG 0311t Irons
    Ping Glide 2.0 Wedges
    Mannkrafted 1/1 OGG Putter
    Bridgestone ball, Sun Mountain Bag
  • DNice26DNice26 Members Posts: 4,143 ✭✭
    Travis Mathew shirts look good untucked.
    Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
    TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
    Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
    Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/
  • hardcaliberhardcaliber Members Posts: 704 ✭✭
    edited Jul 4, 2018 #6
    Davidv wrote:

No such thing as a good looking untucked polo shirt on the golf course. Most decent golf courses have a dress code that require shirts be tucked in.

I tend to play at toxic waste dumps in 3rd world countries, so its all good image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thank you to the others for the recommendations.
  • mtgrizinmnmtgrizinmn Members Posts: 599
    DNice26 wrote:

Travis Mathew shirts look good untucked.

I'll second this. I wear mine untucked when around the house, running errands, etc, but always tuck in on the course.
  • GolfGuitarsCarsGolfGuitarsCars Members Posts: 447 ✭✭
    edited Jul 4, 2018 #8
    The real question is how to keep a polo tucked in? By the third hole mine is completely out in the back and by the time I get to ten, it's totally out.
    PING G30 SF Tec 12* (Set to + 1*)
    PING G SF Tec 5W
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19*
    Taylormade Rescue Mid 22*
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-GW
    Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 54*/58*
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec 34" 340g
    2016 PING Hoofer
  • aadamoniaadamoni Members Posts: 241
    Take a well fitting polo to the tailor and have it shortened to the length you prefer. No longer than mid crotch is the appropriate length for an untucked polo.

https://ashleyweston.com/mens-clothing-fit-guide/how-should-a-polo-shirt-fit/amp/
  • OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru ClubWRX Posts: 1,974 ClubWRX

The real question is how to keep a polo tucked in? By the third hole mine is completely out in the back and by the time I get to ten, it's totally out.
    get shorts or pants with an inner rubber waist band. All of my Adidas has it. The letters are rubber and are made to hold the tuck.
    TaylorMade M6 Driver
    Cobra F9 Fwy
    PXG 19 Hyb
    PXG 0311t Irons
    Ping Glide 2.0 Wedges
    Mannkrafted 1/1 OGG Putter
    Bridgestone ball, Sun Mountain Bag
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 378 ✭✭
    Davidv wrote:

Must be a regional thing. Here in Colorado, most good (if you want to call them "high end" then so be it) courses have no such rule. Collared shirts is a common rule, but not so much tucking them in.

I prefer the look of an untucked polo, independent of comfort.
  • dasamsdasams Members Posts: 241 ✭✭

I pretty much never tuck in my shirt. Its hard to find a shirt that doesn't look like a skirt. I'm 5'9". Most of my body could work with a small but I have to go with a medium to accommodate broad shoulders.

I don't wear my shirts untucked but have a similar issue. Off the rack dress shirts fitted to my shoulders felt like I was wearing a tent. The only solution was to buy semi-custom shirts. Semi because you are measured and they make the shirts using the closest pattern in their library. Google it and I'm sure you can find a company doing the same w golf shirts. Come to think of it, maybe I should look into this...
  • evgolferevgolfer Members Posts: 186 ✭✭

I second this. I tuck my shirt in to start a round as a bow to conforming to social expectations. I've tried. Invariably, it gets loose after a while, and then becomes untucked. I hate having to fuss with it and end up leaving it untucked..

To answer the OP's question: I like Reebok moisture wicking golf polos, and I think they look good both tucked and untucked.
  • ReidmanReidman Austin, TXMembers Posts: 766 ✭✭
    QEDstyle.com has really nice stuff....and polos are shorter than normal and look great untucked
    Ping G400 Max 10.5 Whiteboard D+ Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5, 17.5 Atmos Blue Stiff
    Srixon 745 4-PW PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 55, 60 PX LZ 6.0
    Evnroll ER5B
    Vice Pro Soft Lime
  • DeacLaw05DeacLaw05 Members Posts: 351 ✭✭
    I wear almost every type of shirt tucked in as a matter of personal preference, but I have a handful of Criquet polos that are great untucked.
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 943 ✭✭
    I tend to always wear them tucked as well. I screwed up the other day and wore the wrong combo of boxer briefs and shorts and there was no way to keep drawers, shorts and shirt from fighting one another. I untucked and noticed it to be somewhat cooler as the shirt was allowed to billow and breathe.

Anybody else found it to be cooler from a comfort standpoint int he heat to wear it untucked?
  • UberzzUberzz Members Posts: 124 ✭✭

Adidas have rubber grippy areas inside waist band that do a great job of keeping shirt tucked. G
    Ping G400 LST 10* Tour 65
    Ping G400 14.5*(15.5*) Tour 75
    Titleist 913 F 21* Diamana 
    Titleist 816 H1 23*(24*) Aldila Tour
    Ping i500 KBS $-Taper 120
    Vokey 51/12, 56/11
    Callaway PM Grind 60/10
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 33" Superstroke Mid Slim 3.0
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    Man, I'm 5'4" and fat, and mediums look fine, length wise, when they are untucked. I can't imagine being 5'9" and having mediums be too long.
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    Basically any straight hemmed shirt can be worn untucked. If it's too long, there is usually someone at the dry cleaners who can hem it higher if your sewing skills are nonexistent. Untucked often looks better than tucked on the typical middle aged male bod.
  • birdie_hunterbirdie_hunter Members Posts: 178 ✭✭
    nemoblack wrote:

Davidv wrote:

Must be a regional thing. Here in Colorado, most good (if you want to call them "high end" then so be it) courses have no such rule. Collared shirts is a common rule, but not so much tucking them in.

I’m on the east coast in the DC area and I never tuck my shirt. It’s definetly not a regional thing. The only time anyone has ever said anything is at Congressional...stuffy courses care about things such as this in my experience.
    Nike Covert 2.0 (Matte Black) w/ ????(still deciding)
    Cleveland Launcher 3W - 13* w/ Miyazaki C. Kua X-Flex
    Cleveland Launcher 3W - 18* w/ Miyazaki C. Kua X-Flex
    Mizuno JPX 850 Forged w/ C-Taper Lite Stiff
    Mizuno T4 56*
    Cleveland Rotex 60*
    Nike Method Core MC 04w
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,774 ✭✭
    21d3aa580c3a94b58c204dc27eaa6169.jpg Huh...whatya think ?
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,234 ✭✭
    Lucky you, I'm allergic to metal so I've always got a shirt tucked in to keep the snap and my belt from getting to me.
  • Jay ZGJay ZG Members Posts: 183 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2018 #23
    nemoblack wrote:

I concur. I have weaseled my way onto several private courses listed on Golf Digest's Top 10 for the state of CO and I have seen people wearing untucked shirts at all of them except Cherry Hills.

Personally, I tuck or untuck based more on length of the shirt than anything else. Shorter shirts I leave untucked because they look fine and will come untucked anyway, longer ones get tucked because they look ridiculous untucked.
  • 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny Members Posts: 458 ✭✭
    I don't like Travis Mathew clothing, but I agree with several posters above -- it is one of the best golf brands for untucked shirs. If you are 5-9 and shorter, untucked polos look like short dresses on you unless you either buy from a short dudes place loke Peter Manning or have them tailored. If 5-9 and under avoid Polo and RLX like a plague if you want to go untucked. They have the longest shirts on the market.
  • Pi5seekerPi5seeker Members Posts: 831 ✭✭
    I tuck my polos in at work but let it all hang out at the course.
    Cobra F8 10.5* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
    Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
    Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
    Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* Spinner
    Odyssey Works Versa 1W
    Z-Star
    Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry
  • ronnbeeronnbee Members Posts: 1,076 ✭✭
    its usually big gut guys (cant tuck in polo shirts)
  • ou1987ou1987 Members Posts: 20
    Travis Mathew
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 911 ✭✭
    nemoblack wrote:

Davidv wrote:

arent drugs legal in that state?
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 911 ✭✭
    2putttom wrote:

21d3aa580c3a94b58c204dc27eaa6169.jpg Huh...whatya think ?
    you sir..... are a monster!
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • mankumanku Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    For those who think that shirts should always be tucked in (personally, I think it depends on physique and cut of shirt), I give you the following photo:

JFK_Museum_Feature.jpg
  • CHuntsmanCHuntsman Members Posts: 754 ✭✭
    ronnbee wrote:

its usually big gut guys (cant tuck in polo shirts)

Guilty!