Where do you play with your little player?

gregkellergregkeller ClubWRX Posts: 172 ✭✭
So I’ve got a 4 year old who loves to bat the ball around the yard, putt inside and all that. For his 4th birthday his aunt got him a US kids set and he has not stopped bugging me to go out on a golf course. We’ve played mini golf and he loves it. Gonna go to the range but where he heck can we go play? Local courses have published age ranges of 8+. Do you just call and ask to get out right before closing for a hole or two? I’m not a member anywhere so that’s not really an option.
Driver: Titleist 917 D3 /Oban Devotion 6x
3 wood: Taylor Made 2017 M1 w/ GD AD-DI 7x
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1/KBS tour hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP25/ Nippon 1150GH S
Wedges: 50,54 Callaway MD3 Chrome, 58 Titleist SM7
Putter: Odyssey O-works #9

Comments

  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 956 ✭✭
    gregkeller wrote:
    So I’ve got a 4 year old who loves to bat the ball around the yard, putt inside and all that. For his 4th birthday his aunt got him a US kids set and he has not stopped bugging me to go out on a golf course. We’ve played mini golf and he loves it. Gonna go to the range but where he heck can we go play? Local courses have published age ranges of 8+. Do you just call and ask to get out right before closing for a hole or two? I’m not a member anywhere so that’s not really an option.


    Twilight golf and have them tee off from the 75 yard marker.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 825 ✭✭
    No local executive courses? Try to go out late on those. Otherwise, take some balls to a large park area and swing away. Won't need more than 50 yards clearance at 4 years old.
  • hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 538 ✭✭
    As others have said, late evenings a few holes. Never heard of age restrictions, but don let them scare you off. We’ve all dealt with those grumpy old starters that feel the need , when they see your kid, to remind you not to hold up any groups . In reality, we are usually the ones being held up if we take a cart because we are skipping half the hole. Of course if a group comes up you will move aside.
  • BertGABertGA Posts: 270 ✭✭
    At that age, I agree with the twilight time. Heck, you could go out as the last tee time, it’s unlikely he will be up for a full 9 holes anyways for several weeks.



    Just show up a little early, talk to the guy in the shop, tell him you want to go hit a few balls then play 3 holes. If a golf course turns down a man trying to teach his 4 year old son how to play the course, that’s reprehensible.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,003 ✭✭
    edited Jul 5, 2018 #6
    Take them out on a Sunday afternoon during football. You would be surprised at how empty the courses get at that time. Some places run twilight specials and they get overrun with players at that time if that is case avoid playing those courses. I would call the pro shop at local courses and mention you want to get you son into golf and want the best times to play. Almost always they will let kids play for free with a paying adult. Most pro's love seeing kids out there because they played as kids too.



    We live on a golf course and pretty much can get a tee time anytime and most of the time we are the only ones on it. If you start playing look at moving to a course or joining a club it just makes life so much easier.
  • TigerMomTigerMom Posts: 222 ✭✭
    We found many courses do not allow kids under 10 due to insurance liability concerns



    Also playing late is not ideal for young kids



    My daughter's bedtime routine starts at 6:30pm
  • shizblamshizblam Posts: 86 ✭✭
    If there's a local par 3 course, that's probably the best place to start. I remember my dad taking me to a par 3 course when I was 5 or 6 years old - it was so fun image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />



    Otherwise, I agree with the others - I'd go out in the evening and try to squeeze in a couple holes at the twilight rate.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2016 M1 460 9.5*[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2016 M2 15*[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]R15 3h (-1.5*)[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]RSI TP 4-9[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]EF Wedges 47, 52, 56, 60[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2016 Cameron Newport 34"[/font]
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,003 ✭✭
    TigerMom wrote:


    We found many courses do not allow kids under 10 due to insurance liability concerns



    Also playing late is not ideal for young kids



    My daughter's bedtime routine starts at 6:30pm




    Your playing the wrong courses that will not allow kinds under 10 due to Liability concerns. I would assume that your not letting them go out alone? Most courses have no problem with kids if they have a paying adult. If they give you that line it is because they don't want kids at all. I learned to avoid those places because there usually lousy places to play.



    In the summer late is perfect for kids because often the course is empty the temperature is cooler and there is plenty of daylight. Hard to imagine any kid that is serious about golf not going out later in the day.
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    TigerMom wrote:


    We found many courses do not allow kids under 10 due to insurance liability concerns



    Also playing late is not ideal for young kids



    My daughter's bedtime routine starts at 6:30pm




    Have never heard of this, but maybe it's a regional thing. My son has been coming to the driving range with me since age 2 and has been in the junior program at the local course since age 5.
    Clubs are fluid
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭
    TigerMom wrote:


    We found many courses do not allow kids under 10 due to insurance liability concerns








    I have a feeling it is just a course policy that they pass on to insurance liability so there will be no arguments. The course has to have insurance for anyone that steps foot on club property no matter what age. Insurance isn't going to differentiate between the course and clubhouse. Insurance isn't going to say that it isn't going to cover someone that as 10 as opposed to 11. Also has to cover incidentals of a kid that may hop a fence and be on the property unknowingly and they got injured. I just think someone doesn't want kids playing.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,774 ClubWRX
    Not sure if your area offers youth on course, but if so, sign your kid up. They get $5 green fees and $2 buckets. Once you locate a list of participating courses, take your son there in the late afternoon and you shouldn't have a problem. I prefer a regulation courses instead of par 3 executive courses just because of the crowd that the shorter courses tend to attract.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:


    Not sure if your area offers youth on course, but if so, sign your kid up. They get $5 green fees and $2 buckets. Once you locate a list of participating courses, take your son there in the late afternoon and you shouldn't have a problem. I prefer a regulation courses instead of par 3 executive courses just because of the crowd that the shorter courses tend to attract.




    Just looked this up. Not one participating course in Florida.
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 956 ✭✭

    kekoa wrote:


    Not sure if your area offers youth on course, but if so, sign your kid up. They get $5 green fees and $2 buckets. Once you locate a list of participating courses, take your son there in the late afternoon and you shouldn't have a problem. I prefer a regulation courses instead of par 3 executive courses just because of the crowd that the shorter courses tend to attract.




    Just looked this up. Not one participating course in Florida.




    Through the SCGA we have 150+ courses where kids play for $2 - $5 and get a bucket of balls for $2. (There is a $60 yearly membership fee) Maybe check with the FSGA?



    I can take my kid and drop him off at a course locally that plays 5,525 to 6,967 yards and for $10 he can get range balls, play 18 and have enough left over for a hot dog and lemonade.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 825 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:


    kekoa wrote:


    Not sure if your area offers youth on course, but if so, sign your kid up. They get $5 green fees and $2 buckets. Once you locate a list of participating courses, take your son there in the late afternoon and you shouldn't have a problem. I prefer a regulation courses instead of par 3 executive courses just because of the crowd that the shorter courses tend to attract.




    Just looked this up. Not one participating course in Florida.




    Through the SCGA we have 150+ courses where kids play for $2 - $5 and get a bucket of balls for $2. (There is a $60 yearly membership fee) Maybe check with the FSGA?



    I can take my kid and drop him off at a course locally that plays 5,525 to 6,967 yards and for $10 he can get range balls, play 18 and have enough left over for a hot dog and lemonade.




    Where are you guys getting the $2 buckets? YOC website says $18 for membership and get golf for your junior at $5 (or less) at participating courses.



    https://youthoncourse.org/play/



    "Do you pay for range balls or a cart?

    No. Youth on Course does not cover range balls or carts, and we encourage our members to walk."
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,774 ClubWRX
    It really depends on the participating course, but most have $2 buckets and $5 green fees. That said, times and days may be limited and some higher end courses don't let the kids play at a discounted rate. There are plenty of participating courses that allow both though.



    http://www.scgajunior.org/facilities/
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 956 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:

    leezer99 wrote:


    kekoa wrote:


    Not sure if your area offers youth on course, but if so, sign your kid up. They get $5 green fees and $2 buckets. Once you locate a list of participating courses, take your son there in the late afternoon and you shouldn't have a problem. I prefer a regulation courses instead of par 3 executive courses just because of the crowd that the shorter courses tend to attract.




    Just looked this up. Not one participating course in Florida.




    Through the SCGA we have 150+ courses where kids play for $2 - $5 and get a bucket of balls for $2. (There is a $60 yearly membership fee) Maybe check with the FSGA?



    I can take my kid and drop him off at a course locally that plays 5,525 to 6,967 yards and for $10 he can get range balls, play 18 and have enough left over for a hot dog and lemonade.




    Where are you guys getting the $2 buckets? YOC website says $18 for membership and get golf for your junior at $5 (or less) at participating courses.



    https://youthoncourse.org/play/



    "Do you pay for range balls or a cart?

    No. Youth on Course does not cover range balls or carts, and we encourage our members to walk."




    I never saw value in the YOC.



    SCGA Golf Pass Facilities You'll see on the far right $4.00 GF (Green Fee) and $2.00 DR (Driving Range) for most locations. Heck, you can play either Brookside course for $2.00 green fees... Griffith Park is $4.00 for either course... Navy Cruiser course for $5.



    Does not include a cart but where I take him they give me a cart for $12 and he can ride with me but I'm just a chauffeur.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    At our facility we have a 9 hole short course. The holes vary from 48 yards to 100 yards, the average being around 70 yards. Great place not only for us, but for the little ones as well.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:


    kekoa wrote:


    Not sure if your area offers youth on course, but if so, sign your kid up. They get $5 green fees and $2 buckets. Once you locate a list of participating courses, take your son there in the late afternoon and you shouldn't have a problem. I prefer a regulation courses instead of par 3 executive courses just because of the crowd that the shorter courses tend to attract.




    Just looked this up. Not one participating course in Florida.




    Through the SCGA we have 150+ courses where kids play for $2 - $5 and get a bucket of balls for $2. (There is a $60 yearly membership fee) Maybe check with the FSGA?



    I can take my kid and drop him off at a course locally that plays 5,525 to 6,967 yards and for $10 he can get range balls, play 18 and have enough left over for a hot dog and lemonade.




    There are discounts out there, just not from this program.



    We have a public facility with two courses. After 12 during the summer $1 green fees and $1 buckets. During season the same pricing after 2.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,774 ClubWRX
    leezer99 wrote:

    wildcatden wrote:

    leezer99 wrote:


    kekoa wrote:


    Not sure if your area offers youth on course, but if so, sign your kid up. They get $5 green fees and $2 buckets. Once you locate a list of participating courses, take your son there in the late afternoon and you shouldn't have a problem. I prefer a regulation courses instead of par 3 executive courses just because of the crowd that the shorter courses tend to attract.




    Just looked this up. Not one participating course in Florida.




    Through the SCGA we have 150+ courses where kids play for $2 - $5 and get a bucket of balls for $2. (There is a $60 yearly membership fee) Maybe check with the FSGA?



    I can take my kid and drop him off at a course locally that plays 5,525 to 6,967 yards and for $10 he can get range balls, play 18 and have enough left over for a hot dog and lemonade.




    Where are you guys getting the $2 buckets? YOC website says $18 for membership and get golf for your junior at $5 (or less) at participating courses.



    https://youthoncourse.org/play/



    "Do you pay for range balls or a cart?

    No. Youth on Course does not cover range balls or carts, and we encourage our members to walk."




    I never saw value in the YOC.



    SCGA Golf Pass Facilities You'll see on the far right $4.00 GF (Green Fee) and $2.00 DR (Driving Range) for most locations. Heck, you can play either Brookside course for $2.00 green fees... Griffith Park is $4.00 for either course... Navy Cruiser course for $5.



    Does not include a cart but where I take him they give me a cart for $12 and he can ride with me but I'm just a chauffeur.




    Sorry guys. I was getting YOC mixed up with the SCGA golf pass. I plan to sign up for the norcal golf pass as well. Kids can play the likes of Poppy Hills and other great courses for next to nothing.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 825 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:

    leezer99 wrote:


    I never saw value in the YOC.



    SCGA Golf Pass Facilities You'll see on the far right $4.00 GF (Green Fee) and $2.00 DR (Driving Range) for most locations. Heck, you can play either Brookside course for $2.00 green fees... Griffith Park is $4.00 for either course... Navy Cruiser course for $5.



    Does not include a cart but where I take him they give me a cart for $12 and he can ride with me but I'm just a chauffeur.




    Sorry guys. I was getting YOC mixed up with the SCGA golf pass. I plan to sign up for the norcal golf pass as well. Kids can play the likes of Poppy Hills and other great courses for next to nothing.






    OK, now I see why I was confused...you were talking SCGA. I think YOC is pretty good value ($18 membership/year) for my kid to play a variety of course around here for $5 or less. I'm in the SF East Bay but we have some great courses all around to play like Poppy Ridge, Callipe Preserve, or even TPC Harding Park if you want to jet into SF.



    I've never seen a NorCal golf pass. Have a link to that?
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 956 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:

    kekoa wrote:

    leezer99 wrote:


    I never saw value in the YOC.



    SCGA Golf Pass Facilities You'll see on the far right $4.00 GF (Green Fee) and $2.00 DR (Driving Range) for most locations. Heck, you can play either Brookside course for $2.00 green fees... Griffith Park is $4.00 for either course... Navy Cruiser course for $5.



    Does not include a cart but where I take him they give me a cart for $12 and he can ride with me but I'm just a chauffeur.




    Sorry guys. I was getting YOC mixed up with the SCGA golf pass. I plan to sign up for the norcal golf pass as well. Kids can play the likes of Poppy Hills and other great courses for next to nothing.






    OK, now I see why I was confused...you were talking SCGA. I think YOC is pretty good value ($18 membership/year) for my kid to play a variety of course around here for $5 or less. I'm in the SF East Bay but we have some great courses all around to play like Poppy Ridge, Callipe Preserve, or even TPC Harding Park if you want to jet into SF.



    I've never seen a NorCal golf pass. Have a link to that?




    YOC is more popular up there with more courses participating.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • gregkellergregkeller ClubWRX Posts: 172 ✭✭
    Thanks guys for the ideas. I live in an interesting area here in northern NJ. We have some great private golf courses (Northern Trust at Ridgewood about 4 miles from my front door) and then country run public courses which are jammed full of players all the time. Other than that, there are only two public courses, no par 3, no executive. Our county runs a junior program once the kid is 8, and seems like by 9 he can be on the course in the afternoons. I guess I'll just try sweet talking the club pro at the course I play in a mens league at. We went to the range today and at the end he asked me "when am I going to get to play on a real golf course?" Oh well, the search continues.



    I looked at that YOC map, and theres two places about 40 minutes away but the YOC website says you must be 6 to join. It might be worth it in a few years, but like most of you said, now at 4 years old, I'm looking to take him out as the last tee time, tee him up 50-75 yards from the green and play a hole or two, then go get ice cream.
    Driver: Titleist 917 D3 /Oban Devotion 6x
    3 wood: Taylor Made 2017 M1 w/ GD AD-DI 7x
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1/KBS tour hybrid
    Irons: Mizuno MP25/ Nippon 1150GH S
    Wedges: 50,54 Callaway MD3 Chrome, 58 Titleist SM7
    Putter: Odyssey O-works #9
Sign In or Register to comment.