Same setup in driver and 3 wood

zubby01zubby01 Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
Just curious if anyone has the 'same' setup in their driver and 3 wood. I haven't done so since I had a Cleveland Launcher and 3 wood w the gold shafts.

I have a rogue sz 3 wood w a hzrdus yellow but the rogue sz driver doesn't work w the yellow for me v

Comments

• BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭
    No.i need hight from a 3 wood. Not my driver. Im an odd duck though.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭
    I bought a Hzrdous yellow for my driver because I love it in my 3 wood and couldn’t get the same results. That yellow in a three wood is pure money for me, not sure if it’s the counterbalance or what but it’s high flat bombs, which is what I need off the tee.

The driver just wasn’t efficient, it was serviceable but spin rates were high and I didn’t get what I wanted from it just switched back to NT Comp Grafalloy 65x
  • Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Members Posts: 818 ✭✭
    BNGL wrote:

I bought a Hzrdous yellow for my driver because I love it in my 3 wood and couldn’t get the same results. That yellow in a three wood is pure money for me, not sure if it’s the counterbalance or what but it’s high flat bombs, which is what I need off the tee.

The driver just wasn’t efficient, it was serviceable but spin rates were high and I didn’t get what I wanted from it just switched back to NT Comp Grafalloy 65x

I’d try the t1000 as well if you like the Hzrdus line
  • ohiogolf99ohiogolf99 Mini Tour Advisor Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Toying w d+ 70x in my driver and d+ 80x in 3 wood at the moment.
    Traditionalist turned wannabe club ho

"Drive for show, Putt for $#!%"
  • AC168AC168 Members Posts: 828 ✭✭
    Doesn’t work for me but a few pros do it.
  • GMR2ironGMR2iron Members Posts: 1,518 ✭✭
    Baitkiller wrote:

No.i need hight from a 3 wood. Not my driver. Im an odd duck though.
    Same here, Tensei Pro Orange in driver, Pro Blue in 3 wood.
    Titleist 915D4 9.75 Matrix Black Tie
    Titleist 915F 15.5 Matrix Black Tie
    Titleist TMB 2 iron Tensei Pro White
    Titleist 718CB 3 thru PW
    Titleist SM7 50-08 and 56-08
    Yes! Tracy
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,254 ClubWRX
    Yep, PO in driver and 3W, like very much.
    F9 9* Atmos Black TS7
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 75
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 75
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • rsballer10rsballer10 Members Posts: 740 ✭✭
    I never had success with the same setup. With drivers I love tip stiff low spin shafts, whereas off the turf with a 3w I like something a little easier to elevate
  • jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJClubWRX Posts: 4,677 ClubWRX
    I've done it in the past - same model and weight - but the 3w was only good off the tee then. I've since switched to using a heavier and slightly less tip stiff shaft for the 3w so I can get more consistent distance and flight and more air under the ball.
    M3 9.5°  Ventus 6-X
    M5 15°  Tensei CK Pro 70TX
    818H2 19°  HZRDUS 85 6.5
    790 UDI  PX Catalyst 6.5  -or-  TP UDI 3  PX HB6
    790 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
    SM7 46F 52F 58D 62M  DG 115 / KBS Tour 120
    Mann MA/66

(¬¬) WITB Link
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WAMembers Posts: 496 ✭✭
    Considering doing that very thing. Driver and strong 3 wood being the same. Then adding a 5 wood with something a little easier to get elevated.
    Titleist 910d3 8.5
    Titleist 917f2 15.75
    Adams Pro Mini 20,23
    Bridgestone j36 pc 5-pw
    Cleveland rtx3 50,54,58
    Ping Sigma G Darby
    2018 players 5 stand bag
    Srixon z star 
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭

BNGL wrote:

I bought a Hzrdous yellow for my driver because I love it in my 3 wood and couldn't get the same results. That yellow in a three wood is pure money for me, not sure if it's the counterbalance or what but it's high flat bombs, which is what I need off the tee.

The driver just wasn't efficient, it was serviceable but spin rates were high and I didn't get what I wanted from it just switched back to NT Comp Grafalloy 65x

I'd try the t1000 as well if you like the Hzrdus line

Yeah I tried the T1100 stuff a few years ago with the fuji speeders, I've got good combos for the heads that I have, not much on the market is going to get me extreme accuracy improvements or distance gains unfortunately, I am pretty maxed out sadly to say...
  • MikeskiMikeski ClubWRX Posts: 299 ✭✭
    Going to try it this week to shaft the 3 wood with the same model driver shaft. I tried it before with an inexpensive Powercoil 65 shaft but it didn't work as well in the 3 wood as it did in the driver.

2 weeks ago I was on Monark golf web site buying grips and they have a 'sale' section with some good shafts dirt cheap. For $21 ($29 shipped) I bought a Project X Japanese stiff shaft. Hit this shaft last week and loved it. It fits my swing perfectly and I gained distance.

So I'm going to give it another try of the 'same' set up. For the cost of a 30 pack of beer why not.
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 1,976 ClubWRX
    At first I thought you were talking about club length. I do have have a strong 3 wood(13*), same length as driver and its worked well. Up until last year same shafts and that worked well too. I now use the Pro Launch Red that works well for my driver(with new driver head) and just had another 3 wood(15*) put together with same shaft. Will see as soon as I get to the range. Several weeks ago I had a 5 wood in same shaft put together. I’ve had the head over 5 years, figured it might be an alternative for long carry par 3’s when not feeling it in long irons. Well I hit it great on the range but so far nothing on the course. That might be practice or my inability to replace an iron for a wood? The 5 wood does appear a little stiff on off hits but feels great when I connect.I need to hit it more to really know because I’m not sure if it’s the shaft or me just not feeling confident with the head. At 20* it is so much loft it almost seems harder to hit correctly, if that makes any sense. I have a feeling in the end this may never get used.
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,076 ✭✭
    I'm typically trying to do 2 different things with these clubs, driver swing more deliberately and achieve a positive AoA, and with 3w I swing more fluidly and hit down through the ball. Hitting down I need a heavier, more stiff profile to get a decent feel off the turf.
    '16 M2 10.5*, Diamana LE 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana LE 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,940 ✭✭
    Not since my Pittsburgh Persimmons with DG steel shafts.
  • BookerBooker Members Posts: 721 ✭✭
    73x flowerband wb in the driver 45inches, 83x flowerband wb in 3 wood currently 43inches. Both at d5
  • cliffhangercliffhanger ClubWRX Posts: 1,740 ClubWRX
    Stock Speeder 74 and 84 in my 917 Driver and 3 wood. That combo seems to work really well. Driver is 44.5 @ D4 and 3 wood is at 42.75 @ D3. A little lead tape placed around the sole on each instead of a heavier weight seems to add forgiveness/stability IMO.

(First full set from one OEM ever)
    Driver: M6 (10.5 deg) with Project X Smoke 60X playing at 45 inches
    3Wood: M6 (14 deg) with Project X Smoke 70X playing at 43 inches
    Hybrid: M6 #3 with KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95X
    4-GW: P760 with KBS Tour X (all bent 2 deg flat)
    HiToe Wedges: 56/10 and 60/10 (all bent 2 deg flat) with 2.0 hi-rev shafts
    Mullen 2 TP putter @ 34 inches (Several TM putters found their way home and I am currently in test mode)
    Undecided TP or TPx ball (testing to follow outdoors with Trackman and on GC Quad indoors)

all grips 360 tour velvet burgundy with 1 extra wrap

Sun mountain 4.5 stand bag