Done with hybrids, bagging a 5 wood now

bogeyprobogeypro The Original BogeyproClubWRX Posts: 3,170 ClubWRX
I've tried and tried hybrids from everyone for the last 5 years. I've come to one conclusion: I hate them.

I'm a sweeper. I love hitting a 3 wood. In frustration, I decided to hit my dad's old snake eyes 5 wood and loved it. So, I went and hit the matching 5 wood to my 3 wood. Simply amazing! It is consistent 225-230 for me.

I think hybrids are like the old El Camino from Chevy... not a great car and not a great truck. I feel this way with hybrids. i just couldn't hit them with any consistency. I can hit long irons well and I can hit fairways well, but hybrids were just a weird creature for me.

For the record, I'm not an old man. I'm 41 and carry a + handicap.

I know several pros carry the 5 wood. Anybody come full circle back to 5 woods or stick with long irons?
Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 4-pw <br />Vokey 50f/56m/60m wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72

Comments

• HercNavHercNav Posts: 146
    I went full circle from woods to hybrids now I’m back to carrying a 4 and a 7 wood. Much more consistent for me.
  • DJ412DJ412 Members Posts: 1,607 ✭✭
    Amen brother!

I seem to try a hybrid every year, this year was the Titleist 816 series. And every year I go back to my old reliable 7 wood.
    Ping G30 9* - Tour 65
    Wilson Staff D200 - Elements Chrome
    Adams Speedline LP - Matrix Radix
    Ping S55 5-PW - KBS Tour V
    Ping Glide 50.56 - CFS
    ??????
  • iKOH423iKOH423 Posts: 105 ✭✭
    I've struggled to find a hybrid that I have really liked since the original Baffler which I loved. I then bagged the Adams V3 but after a ton of use I needed to retire that club and have been struggling ever since to find one. Finally settled with the Epic because I love the Driver/FW I have. Thought about getting the 5 wood to go along with the driver/fw but I feel that the hybrid would better fit my bag.
    Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 Deg.
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 15 Deg
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic 3 19 Deg.
    Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 4-AW
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Forged Wedges 56/60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 18' Select Newport 2
  • JohnnypensoJohnnypenso Ooooh, that's a duff. Posts: 192
    I didn't carry my 5 wood for the longest time mainly because I was inconsistent with it off the turf. But a recent experiment with a shorter driver led me to cut down my 3 and 5 wood and now it's back in the bag and I've hit it well in practice and the couple of times I've hit it on the course off the deck.
  • leomessi10leomessi10 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I hate hybrids. I have an Aeroburner TI small head 5 and it’s my favorite club in the bag. Soooooooo easy to hit it never even goes to the range for practice. I know it will always do what I want.

Hybrids on the other hand go even further left than my politics, if that’s even possible...
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Posts: 317 ✭✭
    I carry a 3w, 5w, and a 4h. The hybrid fills a nice gap between the 5w and 5i. I actually feel pretty confident with the shorter shaft on a hybrid and find that it's a little easier to get it lofted or through the rough.
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,250 ✭✭
    I’m the opposite. Can’t hit a 3 wood at all so carry a 16 degree and 19 degree titleist 816 with atmos blue shaft.
  • RonnieoRonnieo Posts: 87 ✭✭
    I just put a Rogue 5 wood in the bag and removed my Epic hybrid. While I really liked the hybrid there is not a more versatile club than a 5 wood.
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭
    I love both hybrids and FWs. BUT it does depends on the hybrids. I’m trying to figure what to remove from the bag. A 5 wood or the 3 hybrid since adding an extra wedge.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,629 ✭✭
    I didn't go to a 5 wood. But, I ditched the hybrid for a 21 degree driving iron. Much more consistent and predictable ball flight for me. I find myself hooking hybrids st the worst possible times. They also balloon into the wind. While they're great for some, it just doesn't fit my game on the courses I play. Still have it on hand though should the need arise.
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 1,781 ✭✭
    The El Camino reference is quite a good one, hah!

I really like my hybrid but the Ping Anser has basically no offset and sets up more like a fairway wood so i'd definitely consider it a hybrid for people that don't like hybrids. Otherwise I can't stand them because I hit hybrids like irons (despite preferring them to setup like woods) and any amount of offset bugs the heck out of me. I'd like to get a 17* Anser as well but i've honestly been leaning the opposite way and preferring modern Driving Irons over anything else. They are just so **** consistent and have as less left/right dispersion, especially on mishits.

Sometimes I feel like hybrids are the best of both worlds with the forgiveness and elevation of a fairway wood with more accuracy and then other days I just feel like they are a less accurate version of DI's.
    Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Titleist 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • BoognishBoognish Members Posts: 716
    If you don't have confidence with hybrids, then it's good to move on. 5-woods can be tricky with high SS, particularly in the wind. It's worth experimenting with lofts/shapes/shafts to get a reliable ball flight.

My buddy is scratch sweeper who still bags his loyal 2-iron. He knows what he can, and what he can't do with it.
    Callaway 816 DBD 9* / Fuji Speeder Evo II 569-S
    Callaway XR16 14* / Fubuki AX f75-S
    Callaway X2Hot 5Deep 18.5*/ Aldila Tour Green 75-S
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* & 23* / Fuji Pro 83-S
    Srixon z765 5-9 / Modus 120-S
    Mizuno S18 46*
    Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 52*
    Callaway PM Grind 58*
    Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
  • asw7576asw7576 Members Posts: 1,089
    I am back and forth when using fairway woods at golf course .... I have no problems when using FW at driving range, however when I start using them at golf course, then inconsistency problems begin.... Argh...
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Drivers : Taylormade RBZ S2, JetSpeed, SLDR S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Fairways : Taylormade SLDR S, Callaway X2 Hot[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hybrids : Taylormade RBZ S2, SLDRS S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Irons : Mizuno JPX 800 HD, Yamaha Inpres X Z Cavity 2013 & Z 2016, Maruman Titus & X1 [/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Wedges : Mizuno T4[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Putters : Oddyssey Tank 2 balls, Works 2 fangs[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Shoes : Footjoy DNA[/font]
  • SaskwatchSaskwatch Putting From The RoughMembers Posts: 533 ✭✭
    Good on you for making a decision. This spot troubles me the most in the bag therefore I have a 5 wood, hybrid and 2 iron all @ 18* of loft. Often times I’ve got all 3 in the bag!

Only a few people razz me about carrying 17 clubs. Lol. I figure if I’m practicing what’s the harm

TS3 8.5º - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    915F 13.5º - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    915F 18º - Tensei Pro White 80TX Proto
    716CB 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    SM6 50º, 54º & 58º - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Big T Blade 33"
    ProV1x

On Tap:
    718TMB 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100TX
    718TMB 2 Iron - Tour AD DI 95x
    716CB 2 Iron - KBS C-Taper 130X
    915H 18º - Kuro Kage TiNi HY 90TX

Upcoming:
    DG X7 swap

• macedanmacedan Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Love, love, love a good 5W. Started with a V-Steel 18* and now game an Aeroburner 18*. Far and away one of my more consistent clubs and easily my favorite or second favorite club in my bag to hit. I can keep it low and get a bit of run out or launch it high for a soft landing on the green if I need too. I would be very hard pressed to even consider pulling my 5W from my bag.
    Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Taylormade Rescue 11 21*
    Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade RBZ Urethane | Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Lite Black/Green
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    I carry three fairway woods. For me they go higher, farther, and land more softly than the commensurate hybrids.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • HercNavHercNav Posts: 146
    Sean2 wrote:

I carry three fairway woods. For me they go higher, farther, and land more softly than the commensurate hybrids.

3/5/7? 4/7/9? I agree — mine land so much softer than the equivalent hybrid.
  • CactusGolfCactusGolf ClubWRX Posts: 1,808
    Carrying a 3W and 5W now. I've struggled the last several seasons with the hybrid.

I usually don't hit 3W off the fairway, so the 5W fits well. Able to hit it off the tee as well. The misses (for the most part) are playable compared to the hybrid.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 65
    Taylormade M2 15* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade M2 18* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade PSi 4-PW KBS Tour
    Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*
    Nike Method Origin B2-01
    Callaway Chrome Soft
    WITB Link
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    HercNav wrote:

Sean2 wrote:

3/5/7? 4/7/9? I agree — mine land so much softer than the equivalent hybrid.

4, 7, and 9 for me. There are 4º increments between the clubs. On occasion I will grip down on the 9, which in effect gives me two clubs in one.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • JDCONJDCON Posts: 203 ✭✭
    The last time I hit a 5-wood was when I had a Mizuno T-Zoid 5-wood back around...2000, maybe? That was my favorite club in the bag. I swapped it out and started using a Titleist 585H - which I never did like. I never went back to a 5-wood, but I'm not sure why? I'm also more of a sweeper I presume (I typically take shallow divots with anything greater than a PW).
    Derp Derp Derp.
  • GMR2ironGMR2iron Members Posts: 1,514 ✭✭
    I seem to have times where I get very hooky with the 17 hybrid, and it also happens with a 5 wood the few attempts I've made with one. Great shot after great shot, then boom, hooky! I'll stick with 2 iron; more consistent for me.
    Titleist 915D4 9.75 Matrix Black Tie
    Titleist 915F 15.5 Matrix Black Tie
    Titleist TMB 2 iron Tensei Pro White
    Titleist 718CB 3 thru PW
    Titleist SM7 50-08 and 56-08
    Yes! Tracy
  • postfoldpostfold oh how I LOVE putting Posts: 357 ✭✭
    gsrjc wrote:

I'm the opposite. Can't hit a 3 wood at all so carry a 16 degree and 19 degree titleist 816 with atmos blue shaft.

I'm in the can't-hit-a-fairway wood camp as well, hooked every hybrid ever made and have just carried long irons for years. This season I picked up an 818H1 with the atmos blue and it's been a revelation.
  • OffTheDoleOffTheDole Florida golfer Members Posts: 339 ✭✭
    5W all the way.

I had a hybrid that I bought in hopes of filling the gap between my 4 iron and 3 wood, but all it seemed to do was go high, left, and about the same distance as my 4 iron. I probably hit 10 good shots with it over the two plus years I had it in my bag.
  • taylormade4lifetaylormade4life Members Posts: 1,241 ✭✭
    Went from hybrid, to 5 wood, back to hybrid, recently back to 5w and even more recently to a 2I driving iron.

I am trying so hard to keep the 5W incase I change back.. But I am done with hybrids.
  • bluejeeprubibluejeeprubi Members Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    I have dabbled with driving irons and hybrids but always ended up going back to a 5w. Probably the safest club in my bag.
    G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
    G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
    G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
    20 and 24 ft worth hi
    5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
    60 mack daddy forged
    Nike 006 proto
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,432 ✭✭
    edited Jul 7, 2018 #27
    I'd play a 5wood if someone would make one with a head size of a hybrid...

I've tried a couple of 5woods and just don't like them that much. Prefer a hybrid. Either way, getting head and shaft combo setup to hit that target yardage (225-235) is more difficult than control, for me.
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,170 ClubWRX
    My 5 wood earned its place today. 230 over water to center of green. 2 putt birdie.

Awesome club.
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 4-pw <br />Vokey 50f/56m/60m wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • Tex1986Tex1986 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭
    I always end up flipping between hybrids and fairways. I’ve got a 15*3wood, 17*hybrid, 20*hybrid, and a 3iron.

Truthfully it just depends on what I perceive I’m hitting better between the 3wood and 17*hybrid. I get about 230 carry out of the 3wood and 220 with the 17*. The 10 yards makes no difference given how inconsistent my ball striking is with low lofted clubs off the deck.
  • abrahavtabrahavt ClubWRX Posts: 10
    Try the Cobra F8 One Length Hybrids. Easy to hit and go just as far as regular Hybrids.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver : Ping G400 MAX
    Woods : Cobra F7 3 W
    Hybrids: Cobra F8 1L 3H + 4H + 5H
    Irons : Ping G700 6-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 50-11 + 56-12
    Putter : Evnroll ER2[/font]
  • bulls9999bulls9999 Posts: 662 ✭✭
    My mindset on hybrids/fairways is evolving to believe shaft length has a lot to do if you can/can't hit them well. I can hit all my shorter clubs better than my longer clubs, I think partly because you have more control or partially because when they're shorter, your top body is more over the ball/club head than a longer club. I've been able to hit hybrids and 3-/5-woods when I cut them down about 1-1.5 inches over standard. I just got a new Rogue hybrid and 7-wood and can't hit them (hit them decent enough for the fitter, but now that I got them home, over time, can't hit them)….but I haven't cut them down because I'm contemplating if I don't want to keep them, harder to sell 'new' clubs that have been cut down. If you got an old hybrid/fairway that you 'cant hit', try cutting it down and trying again.
    GHIN Index 13.8