Tiger vs Phil for $10mil

Comments

• HiSpeed48HiSpeed48 Members Posts: 2,100 ✭✭
    I'd definitely watch it.

As others have already pointed out, this isn't a new concept. It's a shame that it hasn't happened more often in the past two decades, but its probably because golf has become so commercialized that it's hard to plan something like this without each players' sponsors quarreling over who gets advertising rights.
    Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
    TEE XCG7 15*
    Srixon Z545 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
    John Byron DaleHead 2
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers Posts: 1,546 ✭✭
    Simple stakes:

Loser has to stand up before dessert at the Masters Champions Dinner and sing either Beck's "Loser" or the Beatles "I'm A Loser" (winner's choice).

Then they have to caddie for the winner for the whole tournament.
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • daveltbdaveltb Posts: 317 ✭✭
    I have seen Tiger and Phil play in their prime. Don't know if I've got much interest in this.

I've never seen Jack and Arnold play in their prime. Maybe that's why the giggle golf with the 2 of them was worth my time.

I suppose the interest in it could be generational.
  • Sonny217Sonny217 50/50/90 Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Loss of hole requires a bong rip on the next tee. Sponsored by White Castle and Krispy Kreme.
  • MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts Members Posts: 827 ✭✭
    plot twist: both must use persimmons
  • marmooskapaulmarmooskapaul Posts: 1,341 ✭✭
    For those saying it has to be ther own money??? Does any pro in any sport really put up their own money??? Not at the top level. I’d watch if they played for no money... losing on national TV to the other guy.... that’s good enough
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,600 ✭✭
    Basically it is like Shell's Wonderful World of Golf with a ton more money.
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,765 ✭✭
    tsecor wrote:

Golf has sunk to a new low with this gimmick.
    ya didn't set your bar very high.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,568 ClubWRX
    Sean2 wrote:

mukster wrote:

I'd rather watch Steven Bowditch and Smylie Kaufman duke it out over 18 holes to see who can break 80.

That's cold man. :-)

I think it would certainly bring in the TV audience. I would like to see it on a course that isn't bomb and gouge, but requires all of a player's shot making skills.

Shinney?
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,390 ✭✭
    Celebrity golf, probably not. 10M? I can't fathom who puts up that kind of money for those two or mics them for filtered chatter. Sneed, Travino, Hope or Nicklaus, etc., they are not. I may or may not watch it... its a **** shoot.
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60 "S"
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Tour AD Utility, "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 F-52*, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• ssfrannyssfranny Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,573 ✭✭
    tsecor wrote:

Golf has sunk to a new low with this gimmick.

How you figure 2 of the games greats mic'ed up playing for money. Who cares whose money it is their superegos wont want to lose to the other. I like the punishment deal if TW loses has to wear a long sleeve Phil shirt. If Phil loses a tight Nike red shirt or something like that. I love the idea of the "Phil is the best" hat haha
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,778 ✭✭
    I would like to see the old CBS Golf Classic revived. Partnership matches with winners only advancing, no double elimination. Tiger-Phil would be a snoozer unless the course is set up to produce a lot of birdies.
  • ssfrannyssfranny Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,573 ✭✭
    aliikane wrote:

aliikane wrote:

And could do really well who doesnt love watching those old matches. Dec 2016 they had bunch of them on watched the Nicklaus vs Watson numerous times at PB what a great match.
  • I think the biggest element of this story is how strategic Phil was in his timing.

He would lose against Tiger in his prime, and would be called out for a cheap-shot against Tiger in 2010 or even 2014-2017.

Now that Tiger has 'got some of his game back' and is making some headlines again, Phil can get away with this. He wants two things, more money and more prestige, and he sees this as the quickest path to attaining both.

These are the 2 biggest household names in Golf so I understand the big purse, but I'd certainly prefer it if it was a smaller amount and half for charity. Then more of the focus would be put on the game. Now it makes it more about the $$ which probably isn't great for the sport.

All that said, it will probably be fun to watch.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]"Boy that is fun to watch right there. This thing's gonna roll a hundred and fifty yards"[/font]
  • taylormade4lifetaylormade4life Members Posts: 1,243 ✭✭

Eh. I mean, I would watch, but $10 mil of someone else’s money isn’t why. I’d watch those two play almost anytime, but the talk about the money making them uncomfortable is just for show. It’s not their money.

Show them walking up with their own cash in hand and I’m watching without channel surfing.

This^. I will still watch but two guys past their prime... Il check to see if I can take a prop bet for under fairways hit..
  • Rapatt95Rapatt95 wow Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Love watching the old SWWOG on YouTube. If this does well it may bring back a similar idea
    Ping Anser 9.5* Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 18* 5w Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Cobra T-Rail 19* 3H Aldila Tour Green ATX75x
    Ben Hogan PTx 22*-34* C-Taper Lite 115x (Thank you GolfWRX and Ben Hogan!)
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 37*-45* C-Taper Lite 115x
    Ping Glide Forged 50* DG TI S400 (Thank you GolfWRX and Ping!)
    TM TP ATV 54* KBS Tour-V Wedge
    Vokey SM5 58* DG Wedge
    Ping iWi Anser
  • DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers Posts: 2,143 ✭✭
    Tiger and Rory did a similar thing - sans the cash - with Rory a few years ago in China at Mission Hill. Very cool game, they were mic'd the whole time and uncensored since it didn't air outside of a few select countries. It is on YouTube somewhere.

This should be interesting if it actually comes to fruition this time around. Not the first time this has been floated.
  • golf1010golf1010 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭
    Lets see a 16 man match play all put up a mil of their own plus the tv money winner takes all 26 mil. Start with top 16 and continue down with anybody who says no
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,574 ✭✭
    manku wrote:

This reeks of desperation by a couple of fading superstars

It worked for Mayweather and Pacquiao.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • hogans71hogans71 Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me Members Posts: 10,699 ✭✭
    Love Phil and watch him whenever I can but this is just not that interesting to me.

Have them put up 50 mil of their own cash- something that REALLY hurts. Then I'll watch.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,574 ✭✭
    18 holes

match play

$10,000,000 each of their own money

Pine Valley
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • mktroutmktrout Members Posts: 133 ✭✭
    theres gonna be a lot of side bets going on!
    Taylormade M5
    Taylormade M4 3HL
    Taylormade M4 5wd
    Srixon 585 w/ Pro Modus 120
    Cleveland CBX 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Bridgestone BXS
  • eagle1997eagle1997 Members Posts: 18,048 ✭✭
    mktrout wrote:

theres gonna be a lot of side bets going on!

the whole thing was phil's idea, so i'm guessing he's got someone he owes money to.

a not-so-subtle sign earlier this year that that phil needed money:

Woods_Mickelson_Golf_02723-3fa29.jpg

i really need a ferguson rant (with ample use of bold and italic and bold italic) to tie it all together. just wait: i bet he connects this to phil's dandy 2-stroke penalty at shinny and his firing of bones.

<rubs hands together in anticipation>
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:

Sean2 wrote:

mukster wrote:

I'd rather watch Steven Bowditch and Smylie Kaufman duke it out over 18 holes to see who can break 80.

That's cold man. :-)

I think it would certainly bring in the TV audience. I would like to see it on a course that isn't bomb and gouge, but requires all of a player's shot making skills.

Shinney?

Ha!
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • SushiyoshiSushiyoshi Members Posts: 1,180 ✭✭
    Swap clubs
  • dbleagdbleag Members Posts: 2,876 ✭✭

18 holes

match play

Pine Valley

+1

It's not funny when you play for your own money.
  • ahdongahdong Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Tiger all the way!
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 8,961 ✭✭
    dbleag wrote:

18 holes

match play

Pine Valley

+1

It's not funny when you play for your own money.

Could they add some Commando/Taken-esque element to it with one of their kids - if there is going to be a not funny angle to it?

There's loads of towers on the Strip that can be used for dramatic effect... does Vegas have any shark tanks or mountain lion pens?
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭
    it's stupid ... i honestly do not anticipate watching any of it, but we'll see ...
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    Yeah BUT make em play driver on all 4 and 5 pars then it would get interesting!!!!

none of this long iron stringers tight **** safe play....
    G30 LS
    M2 BMW
    XR 4 Hybrid
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros
    Cleveland Blob
    Square Strike
    SeeMore Butts