where are the best golf balls made??

jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,120 ✭✭
i believe that most branded golf balls are currently being made in the USA, China, Taiwan, Japan,Indonesia , Malaysia, Korea and other countries i may not be aware of..



my gamer now is the 4-layer Honma TW-G1 and although i originally thought it was made in Japan it actually is made in Taiwan..



it's price range is about the same as the top brands like the ProVs and the 6-layer TW-G6 is priced even higher..



i get mine at a substantial discount direct from an authorised dealer so am getting a good deal on them although i have to get a minimum of 8 dozen at a time to avail of the discount..



i assume all these follow the quality standards of the main brand and that some brands manufacture their balls in different countries also..



so where would you feel the best balls are made?



my guess would be Japan(where it is also the most expensive)where the quality control standards are normally the highest but what countries would be next??



or would they even be more or less equal where the top of the line is involved?
Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60
«1

Comments

  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    A lot of them right here in Massachusetts: Titleist and Callaway.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,120 ✭✭
    Sean2 wrote:


    A lot of them right here in Massachusetts: Titleist and Callaway.




    ...that is an obvious reply for most Americans and could very well be true..



    but am not 100% convinced yet..



    and in any case how do we really gauge this...what criteria should we follow?



    and the best selling isn't necessarily the best either..



    am looking forward to more replies..
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • theedge27theedge27 Members Posts: 604 ✭✭
    Wherever the RZN Platinum was made.
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    I don’t know how you determine “best” then. It’s like asking who makes the best golf clubs, or pizza.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    The NIKE balls will always take the first slot in my bag if I can find the razn play and / or black. Snell and coming in hot with his black and red mtb series.



    But for the big brands out there that mass produce and all that.

    1. Callaway

    2. Bridgestone

    3. Titleist



    Never been a srixon guy or taylormade guy but I will use them happily
  • lambo428lambo428 Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    'Murica - Titleist
    Ping G LST 10* (or Taylormade r7 cgb Max 10.5*)
    r7 CGB Max Fairway Woods 3 & 5
    Taylormade Rescue Mid 22* & 25*
    Cobra S3 irons
    Titleist SM6 54* S
    Taylormade ATV 60*
    Odyssey Milled Collection 2
  • OLD_BONESOLD_BONES PingMan Chico, CAClubWRX Posts: 1,804 ✭✭
    South Korea ~
  • jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,120 ✭✭
    i realise this might be difficult to have only one correct answer here so let's just respect each others answers ...



    and the winner will probably be the one with the majority of the same answer..



    and if we're looking for a common criteria i would choose quality control as the main criteria..



    and if there's ever anyone who would volunteer to do a comparison i propose the following methodology:



    1. get a sleeve or even a dozen balls of the top of the line model from different manufacturers and made in different countries..



    2.test them for consistency in size,weight and finish.



    we can then conclude the winner with the highest results would be the best ball in terms of quality control..



    performance tests could also be done using an Iron Byron swing machine..



    we can limit the choice to the most expensive model balls from each manufacturer..



    easier said than done----i know.
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    A couple of years ago I took six premium balls and spent a couple of hours around the green...up to 75 yard shots, as well as putting, chipping to a tight pin, light and heavy rough, tight lies, etc.



    Much to my surprise the ball that worked best for me was the ProV1x. The next day I tried the golf balls on the course. Again, the ProV1x came out on top. This too came out as a surprise as I am not a high swing speed player.



    That said, someone may do the same thing and come up with a different ball. Since then I have hit the Kirkland, TP5, Snell MTB, Vice, and Chrome Soft and CSX. I haven't tried the new Chrome Soft, but still the ProV1x performed better for me. The Chrome Soft X came close, and I haven't tried the TP5x.



    Again, someone else may come up with completely different results.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 379 ✭✭
    jmvargas wrote:


    i realise this might be difficult to have only one correct answer here so let's just respect each others answers ...



    and the winner will probably be the one with the majority of the same answer..



    and if we're looking for a common criteria i would choose quality control as the main criteria..



    and if there's ever anyone who would volunteer to do a comparison i propose the following methodology:



    1. get a sleeve or even a dozen balls of the top of the line model from different manufacturers and made in different countries..



    2.test them for consistency in size,weight and finish.



    we can then conclude the winner with the highest results would be the best ball in terms of quality control..



    performance tests could also be done using an Iron Byron swing machine..



    we can limit the choice to the most expensive model balls from each manufacturer..



    easier said than done----i know.




    Sounds like you have a lot of work to do! Better get started.....
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 379 ✭✭
    jmvargas wrote:

    Sean2 wrote:


    A lot of them right here in Massachusetts: Titleist and Callaway.




    ...that is an obvious reply for most Americans and could very well be true..


    **** straight! How many good balls are being made in Philippines....?



    Look in my golf bag, all my balls are Titleist and Callaway. Ive used plenty other but these consistently give me the best results when hit well.
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • 3puttchamp3puttchamp Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    lambo428 wrote:


    'Murica - Titleist




    owned by a Korean company. lol
  • jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,120 ✭✭
    another related question if i may..



    what golf balls--if any--are also currently being manufactured under license in other countries??



    i remember that in the past some Dunlop models were manufactured in England,Australia and Malaysia iirc..
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,120 ✭✭
    Twism86 wrote:

    jmvargas wrote:


    i realise this might be difficult to have only one correct answer here so let's just respect each others answers ...



    and the winner will probably be the one with the majority of the same answer..



    and if we're looking for a common criteria i would choose quality control as the main criteria..



    and if there's ever anyone who would volunteer to do a comparison i propose the following methodology:



    1. get a sleeve or even a dozen balls of the top of the line model from different manufacturers and made in different countries..



    2.test them for consistency in size,weight and finish.



    we can then conclude the winner with the highest results would be the best ball in terms of quality control..



    performance tests could also be done using an Iron Byron swing machine..



    we can limit the choice to the most expensive model balls from each manufacturer..



    easier said than done----i know.




    Sounds like you have a lot of work to do! Better get started.....






    i would gladly do it if everyone interested would send me a sleeve of the balls they want included and an Iron Byron machine..
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • spartanglfrspartanglfr Members Posts: 370 ✭✭
    Indonesia (Srixon Z Stars)
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,033 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2018 #17
    Stanks wrote:


    The NIKE balls will always take the first slot in my bag if I can find the razn play and / or black. Snell and coming in hot with his black and red mtb series.



    But for the big brands out there that mass produce and all that.

    1. Callaway

    2. Bridgestone

    3. Titleist



    Never been a srixon guy or taylormade guy but I will use them happily
    I have a dnz tour black for you.....

    jmvargas wrote:


    i believe that most branded golf balls are currently being made in the USA, China, Taiwan, Japan,Indonesia , Malaysia, Korea and other countries i may not be aware of..



    my gamer now is the 4-layer Honma TW-G1 and although i originally thought it was made in Japan it actually is made in Taiwan..



    it's price range is about the same as the top brands like the ProVs and the 6-layer TW-G6 is priced even higher..



    i get mine at a substantial discount direct from an authorised dealer so am getting a good deal on them although i have to get a minimum of 8 dozen at a time to avail of the discount..



    i assume all these follow the quality standards of the main brand and that some brands manufacture their balls in different countries also..



    so where would you feel the best balls are made?



    my guess would be Japan(where it is also the most expensive)where the quality control standards are normally the highest but what countries would be next??



    or would they even be more or less equal where the top of the line is involved?


    wherever the Quattro ball is made
  • KARL MKARL M Members Posts: 655 ✭✭
    jmvargas wrote:


    i believe that most branded golf balls are currently being made in the USA, China, Taiwan, Japan,Indonesia , Malaysia, Korea and other countries i may not be aware of..



    my gamer now is the 4-layer Honma TW-G1 and although i originally thought it was made in Japan it actually is made in Taiwan..



    it's price range is about the same as the top brands like the ProVs and the 6-layer TW-G6 is priced even higher..



    i get mine at a substantial discount direct from an authorised dealer so am getting a good deal on them although i have to get a minimum of 8 dozen at a time to avail of the discount..



    i assume all these follow the quality standards of the main brand and that some brands manufacture their balls in different countries also..



    so where would you feel the best balls are made?



    my guess would be Japan(where it is also the most expensive)where the quality control standards are normally the highest but what countries would be next??



    or would they even be more or less equal where the top of the line is involved?






    Personally, I'm not aware of any industry wide standards applied by ball manufacturers.

    I would assume each manufacturer would set their own standard for quality, or not bother having a standard.

    The same would hold true for design and consistency of raw materials.

    Testing methods and tolerances would vary by manufacturer.



    I wouldn't suggest buying a slazenger raw ball, but if you find one, cut it apart with a bandsaw or hacksaw and compare it to a more expensive urethane ball that you have cut apart.
    G400Max 10.5 Driver Red tie 6Q3 stiff
    917 F2 Fairway 16.5* Speeder TS mod 74 stiff
    917 F2 Fairway 21* Speeder TS mod 74 stiff
    Cobra F6 23.5* Hybrid White Tie Firm flex
    Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex
    Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
    Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
    Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
    Scotty Newport 2, prov1x, Kangaroo-hillcrest AB
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,848 ✭✭
    There is no best ball.



    Longest off driver - mg senior

    Longest off irons - Taylormade tp5x

    Most durable - Srixon z-star

    Most spin into greens - Titleist ProV1

    Best feeling - Wilson duo soft



    Any premium ball is going to be well constructed and made with precision machinery.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,171 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:


    There is no best ball.



    Longest off driver - mg senior

    Longest off irons - Taylormade tp5x

    Most durable - Srixon z-star

    Most spin into greens - Titleist ProV1

    Best feeling - Wilson duo soft



    Any premium ball is going to be well constructed and made with precision machinery.
    Yeah but the MG senior you mentioned is non conforming---- I was thinking and I may be wrong but does Bridgestone have a ball plant in Georgia. I know for a while Dunlop had a ball plant in Greenville SC right beside I-85. With all the acquisitions etc I do not know if that plant exists any more. Last I heard TM owned it
    Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stock Regular shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
    Irons 3 thru 9 KZG Kyoei Forged CB 1st generation Swing Science 400 Graphite Senior flex
    PW Cleveland Special 588 45* bent to 47* Stock Cleveland Steel Shaft
    SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore S-300 ( old dependable)
    Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft rusty and lead taped as heck named "Rusty"
    Bag-- Jones Classic non stand
    Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want **** the USGA & R&A
    Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
    Vintage
    Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
    3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
    Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green or 1980 Macgregor VIP 3 thru PW Hogan Apex #2 shafts " The famous Bastardized Macs"
    PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special-- Will rotate out when old dependable does not behave
    Putter ( subject to change) Lil David 8802
    Bag Old School Power Bilt orange mini staff
  • jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,120 ✭✭
    we may have gotten confused here...this is not about what the best ball is but WHICH COUNTRY makes the best ball...



    i would venture it would still be Japan...and maybe the USA next..



    am just basing it on which country has better quality control and Japan beats most if not all countries here..
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • JBent9610JBent9610 Members Posts: 400 ✭✭
    jmvargas wrote:


    ...this is not about what the best ball is but WHICH COUNTRY makes the best ball...






    The Land of Kirk
    Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
    Super LS/Tisi Tec/RBZ Stage2/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
    Halo/4DX
    X-20/XL2000/EX-1/RaptureJ/GC Mid/Deep Red II
    ISI W2/EX-1
    685BX/X-Forged Vintage/GAS1 Forged/Eye2+
    WHP 2-Ball
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,033 ✭✭
    America. Hands down.
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,881 ✭✭
    jmvargas wrote:


    am just basing it on which country has better quality control and Japan beats most if not all countries here..




    If Japan makes a ball with such high quality, why do they need quality control? Sounds like they could do better.
  • 3puttchamp3puttchamp Members Posts: 83 ✭✭

    jmvargas wrote:


    am just basing it on which country has better quality control and Japan beats most if not all countries here..




    If Japan makes a ball with such high quality, why do they need quality control? Sounds like they could do better.




    Is this a serious question? I'm dying here.
  • jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,120 ✭✭
    let's put it this way---if i see a new offering of golf balls from an unknown maker i would be more willing to buy it if it were made in japan vs anywhere else...



    ...but that's just me.
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • TsarBombaTsarBomba Members Posts: 698
    This thread is just bad. Ripe for generalizations that will go nowhere, and/or bait the wrong people into saying something dumb.



    Wait, did I just fall into the trap??...
  • Fairways_and_GreensFairways_and_Greens Members Posts: 758 ✭✭
    This is a pretty silly question. Each company has their own processes and tooling. Each company's R&D and quality systems have more to do with with the ball than the ethnicity pressing the buttons.
    Rogue Sub Zero 9° Kuro Kage Dual Core tx
    917 F2 15° Diamana S+ 80x
    917 F2 18° ATX Blue 85x
    915H.d 20.5° Modus3 105x
    Z765 Modus3 125x
    Z765 51° Modus3 125x
    Mack Daddy Forged 58° Super Peening Blue
    EvnRoll 8
    Z Star XV
  • jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,120 ✭✭


    This is a pretty silly question. Each company has their own processes and tooling. Each company's R&D and quality systems have more to do with with the ball than the ethnicity pressing the buttons.




    sori but i beg to disagree..



    what's the difference vs asking..what country makes the best cars?...or the best computers?...or or the best clubs?...etc..etc...



    i am asking for opinions which can be backed up...not facts..
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • TsarBombaTsarBomba Members Posts: 698
    edited Jul 17, 2018 #30
    jmvargas wrote:



    This is a pretty silly question. Each company has their own processes and tooling. Each company's R&D and quality systems have more to do with with the ball than the ethnicity pressing the buttons.




    sori but i beg to disagree..



    what's the difference vs asking..what country makes the best cars?...or the best computers?...or or the best clubs?...etc..etc...



    i am asking for opinions which can be backed up...not facts..




    Makes vs design and QC...



    "Makes" may be irrelevent..the makers of these just follow a design of which a certain percentage are rejected...are you asking about reject rates or the location of the offices that design the balls and implement/designate quality controls?
  • ChadR7371ChadR7371 ClubWRX Posts: 49 ✭✭
    I think you're best off going with Titleist/USA if consistency is what you're after. They pride themselves on quality and use it in their marketing AND a substantial portion of their bottom line is golf balls:







    https://www.titleist.com/company/manufacturing



    Whereas with the Japanese Brands' (and the maybe JDM) golf balls, you may be able to buy the Honma balls for a few years and they are great. Then they might get outsourced like you fear since it's likely the balls aren't a significant source of their profits.



    If Titleist moved ProV1, V1X, or AVX production, you can get you'd hear about it here and in all the news. If Honma or Mizuno changed golf ball production, there probably wouldn't be a peep.
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.