Tee Markers

Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
I always thought part of the strategy in golf is what side of the tee box to line up on. However, I have played a few courses where the tee markers are so close together that that part of the game is removed. Yes, sometimes you can line up standing outside the tee box, but that isn't always an option.

I like the idea of having options when I step up to a tee.

Just an observation. I don't know if some of you experience the same thing.
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]

Comments

• NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    Just played a course where the markers were 3 ft from the back of the mowed tee area. Right foot on the slope to hit
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    Naptime wrote:

Just played a course where the markers were 3 ft from the back of the mowed tee area. Right foot on the slope to hit

I wonder at times if the people who place those markers even play golf.
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Posts: 653 ✭✭
    Ah tee markers.... this falls into "pet peeve" territory along with being tailgated. For example the card says my tee is 141 yds and that day the markers are up to the very front of the box playing 125, i donʻt want to hit it 125 i want to hit a 141 shot. I take that two club lengths back as a suggestion on occasion.

• LokiLoki Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭
    Some people HATE that tees are angled away from the fairway. LOL, look where you are going, not where you are.

I am only disappointed when the tees are moved up a box.
  • LokiLoki Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2018 #6
    Anyone play a course where the holes are set at the distance on the card every day? Meaning if the hole is cut three paces back from center, they move the tee blocks up three paces. Supposedly there is a course in Wisconsin that does this.
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 14,971 ✭✭
    I've never played a course where the markers were so close together that you were forced to tee off

in a 6 foot area from side to side...….but I played many a course where the tees at set at an angle to

the fairway. I certainly know where I want to aim but it does bug me a little that the tees are crooked

….…………...on purpose.
  • lchanglchang Posts: 536 ✭✭
    I’ve always assumed that often the tee markers are placed by the guy who just mowed the tee box.

So possibly done without much conscientiousness and possibly by someone who is indeed not a golfer.
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 893 ✭✭
    Our home course most (mostly) sets the markers far enough apart to give one options. Occasionally, that’s not true and they’re not well spaced and/or aimed off into some other place than the hole’s fairway. The latter is the exception though....and I don’t actually often notice as I pick a target downrange rather than align off the markers.
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    Sean2 wrote:
    Naptime wrote:

Most often the answer is no.
    Loki wrote:
    Anyone play a course where the holes are set at the distance on the card every day? Meaning if the hole is cut three paces back from center, they move the tee blocks up three paces. Supposedly there is a course in Wisconsin that does this.

A lot of courses typically try to match that up, back flag front of the tee box, front flag back of the tee box.

Although some courses just manage the wear on the tees. So it might play 20 yards longer or shorter than the card.
  • GTgolfGTgolf Members Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Courses pay laborers PENNIES.

95% of the staff at our club has never swung a club before. With trouble holding onto good workers, you’ll usually run into weird pin placements and goofy tee marker set ups.

s*** happens.
  • phil75070phil75070 Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    Sean2 wrote:

I feel the same way about hole locations - right on the edge of a ridge, in the middle of a slope.....
  • slocagolferslocagolfer Posts: 476 ✭✭
    BNGL wrote:

Loki wrote:

A lot of courses typically try to match that up, back flag front of the tee box, front flag back of the tee box.

Although some courses just manage the wear on the tees. So it might play 20 yards longer or shorter than the card.

One of the courses I play always does that on the par 3s. Every time it's the same shot. I wish they wouldn't since I like to have a hole play differently from day to day.
    BNGL wrote:

Loki wrote:

One of the courses I play always does that on the par 3s. Every time it's the same shot. I wish they wouldn't since I like to have a hole play differently from day to day.

My thoughts exactly
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    Conrad1953 wrote:

I've never played a course where the markers were so close together that you were forced to tee off

in a 6 foot area from side to side...….but I played many a course where the tees at set at an angle to

the fairway. I certainly know where I want to aim but it does bug me a little that the tees are crooked

….…………...on purpose.

Yeah, I have experienced this too...markers aimed right at a hazard.
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 14,971 ✭✭
    Sean2 wrote:

Conrad1953 wrote:

….…………...on purpose.

Yeah, I have experienced this too...markers aimed right at a hazard.

Yep
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭
    Naptime wrote:

I've actually had a nightmare about that exact thing. No room on the tee box for a swing because the markers are butted up by trees or something.

Psychologically I don't know what that says about me.
  • lchanglchang Posts: 536 ✭✭
    Edaw68 wrote:
    Naptime wrote:

I've actually had a nightmare about that exact thing. No room on the tee box for a swing because the markers are butted up by trees or something.

Psychologically I don't know what that says about me.

Happens to a lot of us: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/574291-golf-nightmares/
  • Twism86Twism86 Posts: 379 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2018 #20
    Loki wrote:

Most courses I play, the tee yardages on the card are more of.... suggestions in relation to the markers. Tips are always the back of the furthest tee box, you can back calculate from there.
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,538 ✭✭
    The complaint I have about tee boxes is the one's that don't have a level stance available. Look at what the pros hit from, then compare it to the often times sloped, divot laden boxes public courses offer.
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,770 ✭✭
    lchang wrote:

I’ve always assumed that often the tee markers are placed by the guy who just mowed the tee box.

So possibly done without much conscientiousness and possibly by someone who is indeed not a golfer.
    image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> best kinda employee to have ....ones that don't give ****.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 4,975 ✭✭
    Loki wrote:

I know one Wyoming that does it
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)