Rory or Jordan

MoneyPlayer33MoneyPlayer33 Posts: 328 ✭✭
Ok guys now rhat we have seen these 2 at there best and seen them both struggle lately i ask the question who will end up with the better career . ??

Comments

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭
    I’ll take Jordan over anybody playing golf right now
  • TMoakley1547TMoakley1547 Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Rory's got the talent, Jordan's got the fire in his belly. Ill say Jordan just because he cares more. I do reserve the right to change my answer, should Rory someday decide he wants it again.
  • 00steven00steven Posts: 175 ✭✭
    Jordan Spieth is the next gen legend.
    Driver: Taylormade M3
    3 Wood: Taylormade M2
    3 Hybrid: Taylormade M2
    4-PW: Titleist AP1
    Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM5 60 Titleist SM6
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 3
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    Rory for now
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    When TW was young, Jack said wait til he has a family and stuff changes in life. Unless Jordan is entering a monastery anytime soon, he too will have more important priorities than golf.
  • DK<80DK<80 Posts: 271 ✭✭
    Jordan.

Although I believe Rory has more talent and more potential.
    TaylorMade SLDR 430 12°
    Titleist 917F2 15°
    TaylorMade r9 19°
    Cleveland Classic 4h 23°
    Titleist 712 AP2 (5-PW)
    Cleveland 588 RTG (54°, 60°, 64°)
    Nike Method Core MC-4iX
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,072 ✭✭
    Jordan. He has zero quit in him. Rory. Well he has his and Jordan’s share.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • PGAroxPGArox Posts: 10,288 ✭✭
    tiderider wrote:

I’ll take Jordan over anybody playing golf right now.

Yep. More than any other guy out there, Jordan is in this for the long haul. He will likely still be a force on TOUR 30 years from now. Don't feel that way about anyone else, with the possible exception of Rickie Fowler.
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,742 ✭✭
    Talk about skill and talent all you want, but I think Jordan knows how to play golf better than Rory. Rory is all about big drives and striped irons, but the guy has struggled for years now hitting it pin high, not to mention he’s awful with the putter. Apparently he put a “huge effort” into his US Open prep this year, and he missed the cut by a mile. I’m certain Rory doesn’t practice like he used to, and is probably enjoying life as a newlywed rich man (nothing wrong with that). If Rory ever has kids, expect him to drop off the map entirely, kind of like Johnny Miller.

Jordan can contend playing not his best, specifically at majors. Eventually he will bounce back from this mono stuff and make some more putts. Unlike Rory, Jordan could be worth a billion and still want to get the W and work hard for it.

All my opinion of course.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    If McIlroy could putt, it would definitely be him.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭
    Naptime wrote:

When TW was young, Jack said wait til he has a family and stuff changes in life. Unless Jordan is entering a monastery anytime soon, he too will have more important priorities than golf.

jack said he would be better once he got married and had a family ...
  • ByeBye Posts: 1,307 ✭✭
    Jordan looks like he wants more.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 21 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
    Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
    Titleist Pro V1
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 14,972 ✭✭

Talk about skill and talent all you want, but I think Jordan knows how to play golf better than Rory. Rory is all about big drives and striped irons, but the guy has struggled for years now hitting it pin high, not to mention he's awful with the putter. Apparently he put a "huge effort" into his US Open prep this year, and he missed the cut by a mile. I'm certain Rory doesn't practice like he used to, and is probably enjoying life as a newlywed rich man (nothing wrong with that). If Rory ever has kids, expect him to drop off the map entirely, kind of like Johnny Miller.

Jordan can contend playing not his best, specifically at majors. Eventually he will bounce back from this mono stuff and make some more putts. Unlike Rory, Jordan could be worth a billion and still want to get the W and work hard for it.

Talk about skill and talent all you want, but I think Jordan knows how to play golf better than Rory. Rory is all about big drives and striped irons, but the guy has struggled for years now hitting it pin high, not to mention he's awful with the putter. Apparently he put a "huge effort" into his US Open prep this year, and he missed the cut by a mile. I'm certain Rory doesn't practice like he used to, and is probably enjoying life as a newlywed rich man (nothing wrong with that). If Rory ever has kids, expect him to drop off the map entirely, kind of like Johnny Miller.

Well, I agree with your opinion PTM. Well said.
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    Some McIlroy stats:

He is currently second in strokes gained off the tee as well as approaches. Third around the green. And, 200th in putting.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • seve1972seve1972 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭
    Sean2 wrote:

If McIlroy could putt, it would definitely be him.

While I understand this at its core ......Im still shocked how often people marginalized putting...like if you hit it long and pure your irons your entitled to greatness......(laughable). A great golfer HAS to be a good putter...period
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Posts: 1,509 ✭✭
    Sean2 wrote:

Some McIlroy stats:

He is currently second in strokes gained off the tee as well as approaches. Third around the green. And, 200th in putting.

Typical WRXer :-)
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    Nothing here is based on facts, just conjecture from playing and seeing him up close at tournament and back home.

Having been fortunate enough to see Rory a couple of times when I have been out to Bears Club, he definitely practices and works hard on his game. (Although there can be a point a where you see diminishing returns on your practice, at least I happen to believe that is true). I can only attest to Rory, having seen him up close and in person multiple times. He is one of the few players in the game that can win with a mediocre putting performance. His driving and iron play are legitimate weapons, when they are dialed in. The thing that stands out when I watch Rory is the lack of finesse, I don't see him hitting anything soft or bouncing it back to a hole, it always seems to me he is flying it to every hole. I almost wonder how much he would benefit from someone like Steve Williams or Butch Harmon as a coach to get in his ear and tell him how it should be. He is a tremendous talent, and I do not envy the immense pressure and superlatives that were placed upon him when he first burst onto the scene, that being said he has done quite well and I would gladly trade games with either of the two. I am a Rory fan, something about Jordan I cannot get behind although he is a great player (game respects game).
  • oz dee ceeoz dee cee Posts: 467 ✭✭
    Rory is my favourite golfer. Jordan will better him though. 😬
  • Whit1969Whit1969 Members Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I going with Jordan simply because he plays more events and there is no doubt that his game plays better at Augusta than Rory's. So for that reason I see him reaching more major wins than Rory. I also think that Jordan has a far superior short game than Rory which will equate to more wins.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade 2016 M2 Diamana D+ 70
    Taylormade 2016 M1 3 wood Diamana S+ Limited 70
    Titleist 915H 2 Hybrid Diamana S+ 70
    Titleist 718AP2 4-PW DG AMT Tour White
    Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey O-Works #7
    Snell MTB-Black[/font]
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    Regular Tour Career?

Jordan

Regular and Senior?

Jordan

Overall Global Success?

Jordan
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 1,793 ✭✭
    BNGL wrote:

The thing that stands out when I watch Rory is the lack of finesse, I don't see him hitting anything soft or bouncing it back to a hole, it always seems to me he is flying it to every hole.

I've said it before but I swear he seems to have significantly better distance control when he hits those hold off finish knockdown types of approach shots. I don't know why he doesn't take that approach more because the big full swing moon balls that he seems to normally hit seem so much harder to control, especially if there is even a breath of wind.

Aside from all that I agree with the general "Rory has the talent but Jordan has the fire" comments. Not saying that Jordan isn't talented or that Rory doesn't care, but Jordan is a grinder who is passionate. Rory's attitude comes across as the naturally talented kid who seems to expect the success and gets mopey and frustrated when it isn't there. Combine the two skill sets and the USGA would have to find a way to outlaw the resulting player. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Titleist 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • j.b.newtonj.b.newton Members Posts: 584 ✭✭
    tiderider wrote:

I'll take Jordan over anybody playing golf right now

So you are taking the over on his career vs Tiger's career? 15 majors and 80ish wins? Thats a bold bet.
  • jallen0119jallen0119 Members Posts: 42
    Valtiel wrote:

BNGL wrote:

The thing that stands out when I watch Rory is the lack of finesse, I don't see him hitting anything soft or bouncing it back to a hole, it always seems to me he is flying it to every hole.

I've said it before but I swear he seems to have significantly better distance control when he hits those hold off finish knockdown types of approach shots. I don't know why he doesn't take that approach more because the big full swing moon balls that he seems to normally hit seem so much harder to control, especially if there is even a breath of wind.

Aside from all that I agree with the general "Rory has the talent but Jordan has the fire" comments. Not saying that Jordan isn't talented or that Rory doesn't care, but Jordan is a grinder who is passionate. Rory's attitude comes across as the naturally talented kid who seems to expect the success and gets mopey and frustrated when it isn't there. Combine the two skill sets and the USGA would have to find a way to outlaw the resulting player. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I have said since 2015 that if Rory had Jordan's mental side and could improve his putting, Rory could have a Tiger-like career.
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 1,793 ✭✭
    jallen0119 wrote:

Valtiel wrote:

BNGL wrote:

I have said since 2015 that if Rory had Jordan's mental side and could improve his putting, Rory could have a Tiger-like career.

Agreed, those are definitely the video game skill points that are missing from an otherwise stacked deck.
    Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Titleist 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
    jallen0119 wrote:

Valtiel wrote:

BNGL wrote:

He just needs to have a rory like career thats it.
    Valtiel wrote:

BNGL wrote:

It almost reminds me of a Norman story I heard when he was on the range one year at the British, and he started hitting shots 3/4 and just smoking every ball. Steve and Butch both said that those were perfect golf shots, and that he should make that his standard, but according to Greg those, "...weren't proper golf shots."

The first time that I thought Rory was special was the PGA at Kiawah, I forget the hole and day, but he had 115 yards wind into and off the left blowing 10-4, and he hit this 3/4 wedge that bore through the wind beautifully to kick in distance. That was the moment I said, this guy can be special. The ability to control the ball strike, manipulate trajectory, controlling spin he has that ability more than anyone else in my opinion. Every player has better control (distance, trajectory, spin) when controlling their golf ball. I notice this playing with Chris DiMarco the few times we have played, he's one club longer when we play back home. At an event, he's feathering a 6 instead of hitting a 7. Nowadays players hitting more full shots, to elevate and spin the ball as much as possible, because they need (or are always attacking?) to attack and when it works you say "Oh my god....this guy cannot be beat!"
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members Posts: 2,924 ✭✭
    Close call but I'd say Rory.

I think he will find a groove and rattle off 3-4 more majors.

Spieth may never win another major if he doesn't learn to putt again. His best finish is 3rd place in 18 events this year.
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,299 ✭✭
    j.b.newton wrote:

tiderider wrote:

I'll take Jordan over anybody playing golf right now

So you are taking the over on his career vs Tiger's career? 15 majors and 80ish wins? Thats a bold bet.
    **** man!! I was late to this thread and about to post the same. Guys saying Jordan will have a better career than any active player? Third best behind Tiger and Phil is the best he will possibly do.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,078 ✭✭
    Jordan. I think he has the ability to grind through trouble (see British Open last year) i think he will play more often snd more years than Rory and therefore have more chances.

I say all that, and i absolutely love watching Rory play when he’s into it.
    PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• daegyudaegyu Members Posts: 236 ✭✭
    I'll take the guy that's already ahead in the major count. I would have bet my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse in 2008 that Tiger would have won another one after the US Open. Majors are not to be taken for granted.
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65s
    Callaway Epic 15 Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
    Callaway Epic 18 AD-DI 7s
    Titleist 816 H2 21 AD-DI 85s
    Taylormade P770 4-PW PX LZ 6.0 SS x1
    Vokey SM6 52F / 58M KBS Tour
    Byron Morgan DH89x
    Scotty Cameron Asian Spec AOP Newport Oil Can 33/350

Pro Platinum Mil-Spec 33/350

Cameron Classic Gun Blue 33/3503

TEI3 2nd gen 35/330

Studio Style Newport 34/340