TP5, Tour B XS, and ProV1

kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 314 ✭✭
I have been testing these three on the course for the better part of a year and have yet to find one I can stick with. I have yet to take them on a simulator and compare data so I wanted to see if anyone has.



My overall impressions are:



Tour B XS

-Love the feel off putter and wedges

-Great greenside spin

-Long off of the driver

-Feel almost too soft off of Irons (not as solid as the other two)

-Great in the wind



ProV1

-Great Feel

-Great greenside control

-At times long off of the driver

-Great penetrating flight



TP5

-A little bit harder than the two above

-Good greenside spin, not great (which may honestly help me)

-Higher flight off irons and driver

-Increased distance off of irons



I recently narrowed it down to ProV1 and Tour B XS but I find myself wanting to hit the TP5 again.



Let me know your experiences with these balls!
Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, Tensei Ck Blue 70 Stiff
Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
4-PW - Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4 iron, Mizuno MP 18 SC 5-PW, KBS C Taper 130x
Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D 
Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Comments

  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,134 ✭✭
    TP5 is great...feels a bit "heavy" off the driver but a very good ball. Still like the lethal better



    Prov1 - best all around ball for feel, distance and control.



    haven't tried BSX yet
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,735 ✭✭
    tsecor wrote:


    TP5 is great...feels a bit "heavy" off the driver but a very good ball. Still like the lethal better



    Prov1 - best all around ball for feel, distance and control.



    haven't tried BSX yet




    Lethal is a ball I still miss today =(
  • SimpSimp Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭
    I'm sold on the BXS. I echo everything you said except the feel of being too soft off the irons. Feel being very subjective, it feels perfect to me. I play Mizuno MP18 SC's so all premium balls feels pretty **** good. Durability is excellent as well.
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
    Cleveland RTX3 50,54 & 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner MarsMembers Posts: 913 ✭✭
    edited Jul 9, 2018 #5
    kcd38 wrote:


    I have been testing these three on the course for the better part of a year and have yet to find one I can stick with. I have yet to take them on a simulator and compare data so I wanted to see if anyone has.



    My overall impressions are:



    Tour B XS

    -Love the feel off putter and wedges

    -Great greenside spin

    -Long off of the driver

    -Feel almost too soft off of Irons (not as solid as the other two)

    -Great in the wind



    ProV1

    -Great Feel

    -Great greenside control

    -At times long off of the driver

    -Great penetrating flight



    TP5

    -A little bit harder than the two above

    -Good greenside spin, not great (which may honestly help me)

    -Higher flight off irons and driver

    -Increased distance off of irons



    I recently narrowed it down to ProV1 and Tour B XS but I find myself wanting to hit the TP5 again.



    Let me know your experiences with these balls!


    I think you are spot on. I have been working through all 3 and am now down to the XS and V1. But, I miss the high flight of the TPX. I recognize the soft feel of the XS off the irons, but it still carries just as far and straight. They are all so good it's just comes down to personal preference. Great take, thx image/idhitit.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':idhitit:' /> image/grin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':grin:' />
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,891 ✭✭
    Kinda want to know more about the B-Stone. Loved the B330s. How does the new one compare?
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway BBA 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • Hat TrickHat Trick Members Posts: 552 ✭✭
    I can play TP5 and V1 interchangeably - makes no difference in my scoring
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,596 ✭✭
    Probably why Eldrick loves it and has been playing a Bridgestone ball with a Nike label since 2000 (except last year).
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭
    Pretty sure Tigers balls are forged by Miura.
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members Posts: 1,512 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2018 #10
    Hat Trick wrote:


    I can play TP5 and V1 interchangeably - makes no difference in my scoring




    Yep, these 2 are so good. TP5 is awesome in the wind, great feel, perfect amount of spin from all clubs. Like you said, Pro V is interchangeable. They both behave so consistently. Great balls.



    BXS is good, but I found it to spin too much off driver.
    8.5* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • BodlesBodles AustraliaMembers Posts: 139 ✭✭
    CDM wrote:

    tsecor wrote:


    TP5 is great...feels a bit "heavy" off the driver but a very good ball. Still like the lethal better



    Prov1 - best all around ball for feel, distance and control.



    haven't tried BSX yet




    Lethal is a ball I still miss today =(


    I add the Tour Preferred as well
    Ping G400 LST - Project X Black 6.5 75gram
    Mizuno CLK #2 Hybrid at 14 degrees - Speeder Evolution 75 stiff
    Callaway Big Bertha 18 degree hybrid at 17 degrees - Recoil F4 Shaft
    Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 2Iron - Fujikura Atmos Blue Shaft
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal Irons 4-PW - Project X LZ 5.5 115 gram
    Mizuno MP-T5, 54, 60 degree Wedges
    Rife IBF Aussie Tour Edition putter
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,134 ✭✭
    Bodles wrote:

    CDM wrote:

    tsecor wrote:


    TP5 is great...feels a bit "heavy" off the driver but a very good ball. Still like the lethal better



    Prov1 - best all around ball for feel, distance and control.



    haven't tried BSX yet




    Lethal is a ball I still miss today =(


    I add the Tour Preferred as well
    I was curious about the tour preferred.....tell me!!
  • kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 314 ✭✭


    Kinda want to know more about the B-Stone. Loved the B330s. How does the new one compare?




    I have found the BXS to be longer off of the tee. Around the green and with my irons they are very similar. The BXS is feels more solid but is still very soft which I love.
    Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, Tensei Ck Blue 70 Stiff
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
    4-PW - Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4 iron, Mizuno MP 18 SC 5-PW, KBS C Taper 130x
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D 
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,891 ✭✭
    kcd38 wrote:



    Kinda want to know more about the B-Stone. Loved the B330s. How does the new one compare?




    I have found the BXS to be longer off of the tee. Around the green and with my irons they are very similar. The BXS is feels more solid but is still very soft which I love.




    Does it kind of split the difference between the older B330s and the RXS balls?
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway BBA 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,755 ✭✭
    Have been playing the TP5x since it came out (was playing the previous TM balls, too), and recently bought a box of TP5 (non-x) by accident, thinking I had grabbed the TP5x. Put one in play while walking 9 last week with a buddy, and I immediately preferred it to the x. Lots of spin with wedges, and goes forever off all clubs. Best part is that it does these things while feeling softer than the x. I really like it.
  • hankmoodyhankmoody Title Member Members Posts: 1,791 ✭✭
    I play the TP5, the V1 and the new Chrome Soft. All excellent balls for this mid-cap with a 95-97 SS. The TP5 feels "the heaviest" on the face to me; the CS flies like the wind; and at the end of the day, there is nothing like the feel of a striped V1 off on iron going to the right yardage and stopping.
    M6 10.5
    M4 3W & 19 H
    816h 21
    Titleist C16 5-AW
    SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
    Newport 2.5
    Chrome Soft/ERC Soft
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,134 ✭✭
    hankmoody wrote:


    I play the TP5, the V1 and the new Chrome Soft. All excellent balls for this mid-cap with a 95-97 SS. The TP5 feels "the heaviest" on the face to me; the CS flies like the wind; and at the end of the day, there is nothing like the feel of a striped V1 off on iron going to the right yardage and stopping.
    totally agree
  • tobiasjdtobiasjd Members Posts: 429 ✭✭
    I've previously always preferred Pro V1s, just not the paying for them part. This year I've been playing exclusively B XS. They are soft off the putter face. Plenty of spin with the wedge. Very workable with irons. No real complaints with this ball. Haven't had an urge to spend more for Pro V1s like I have in the past.
    Cobra King LTD Black
    Titleist 910FD 15° 3w
    Titleist 917F2 18° 5w
    Callaway Apex 4h
    PING iBlade 5 - PW
    PING Glide 50° SS
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 56°, 60° SS
    Bettinardi BB1
  • WBLWBL Ender of all threads Members Posts: 33
    I've been playing Srixon Z-Star and thought they were the best. I found a brand new ProV1 on the course so played that. Longer drives, better irons and great putting. It's the best ball no doubt.
    What's In the Bag
    Cobra King LTD 10.5° driver w/stiff Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI shaft & std Lamkin Sonar grip
    Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15° 3-wood w/reg Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki shaft & std Lamkin Z5 TT grip
    Titleist 915H 3 hybrid w/reg Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue HB 70 shaft & std Lamkin Z5 TT grip
    Tour Edge Exotics CB5 4 hybrid w/stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki shaft & std Lamkin Z5 TT grip
    Titleist AP1 714 irons 5-PW w/reg True Temper XP95 R300 shafts & std Titleist Golfpride Velvet grips
    Tour Edge Exotics triple grind 60°/7° sand wedge & std TE grip
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 putter with Winn 1.32" oversize grip
    Srixon Z-Star ball
    Hot-Z 4.5 Cart Bag

    Location: central Wisconsin
    hdcp: 11.0
  • UhitUhit Members Posts: 861
    WBL wrote:


    I've been playing Srixon Z-Star and thought they were the best. I found a brand new ProV1 on the course so played that. Longer drives, better irons and great putting. It's the best ball no doubt.




    ...you probably missed not only the title of the thread, but also the OnCore ELIXR ball...



    ...however, everyone has to try the balls by themselves to know, which one is best suited for your individual game.



    For me it's the OnCore ELIXR, the B XS, Z-Star XV, and the TP5, ProV1X - mentioned in the order of my preference.
  • kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 314 ✭✭
    I grabbed a few different balls to test this weekend (Tour B X, TP5) against my normal 2017 Pro V1 or Tour B XS just to calm my nerves. The results were interesting. I played 9 holes and tried to hit a couple of each type of shot with each ball, a drive, an iron shot, a chip, and a putt.



    TP5 - drives and iron shots definitely flew higher which gave me a little more distance. Around the greens, it had good spin but less than the Pro V1 and BXS. Iron shots felt a little firmer but not clicky.



    Tour B X - drives were a bit shorter than I usually hit with the BXS, but still good distance. Iron shots, chips and putts felt a little firmer than I like. Spin around the greens was okay, which I expected with this ball.



    I will be sticking with the Tour B XS as I have yet to find anything better for my game. Would love to hear your feedback on any testing you have done.
    Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, Tensei Ck Blue 70 Stiff
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
    4-PW - Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4 iron, Mizuno MP 18 SC 5-PW, KBS C Taper 130x
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D 
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Chewey85Chewey85 Members Posts: 203
    Found a tour B XS yesterday and played 3 holes with it. I was blown away at the performance from a softer feeling ball. Distance compared to prov1x was the same if not a few yards better. Plenty of greenside spin. Was able to get a 1 hop stop with the ball no problem. Felt good off the putter also. This ball also seemed to hold it's line better then the prov1x. Def gonna pick up a dozen for further testing. Even my buddy said I should switch after only seeing me only 3 holes with it lol.
  • JimvJimv Members Posts: 603 ✭✭
    I found very similar results with BSX. Love it off the tee, but feel I lose to much distance on short irons. I am leaning on going back to the PV1X, that provided similar distance on drives but I feel provided me better performance with short iron shots.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,973 ✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2018 #24
    Played the TP5x for the first time today and Wow! Great ball, could easily make its way into my bag.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,134 ✭✭
    Big Ben wrote:


    Played the TP5x for the first time today and Wow! Great ball, could easily make its way into my bag.
    $39 at TGW
  • ignitewvuignitewvu Members Posts: 2,054 ✭✭
    edited Jul 24, 2018 #26
    Simp wrote:


    I'm sold on the BXS. I echo everything you said except the feel of being too soft off the irons. Feel being very subjective, it feels perfect to me. I play Mizuno MP18 SC's so all premium balls feels pretty **** good. Durability is excellent as well.




    I've recently really started to hit the ball well again and the Tour B XS is a gamers ball. It is so workable when a good swing it applied to it & way longer than the Previous B330S with driver and woods. But, If you are not swinging well it can punish you.
    M5 9 Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6 Stiff
    M3 15 3 Wood Mitsubishi Tensei AV 75 Stiff
    M1 19 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos Blue 80HB Stiff
    M1 4i @ 39" KBS Tour 105
    Bridgestone J15DPF 5-PW DG Pro S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 & 60 DGS200
    Odyessey Exo 7 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • mn44mn44 Members Posts: 120 ✭✭


    Pretty sure Tigers balls are forged by Miura.




    And cleaned by blondes.
    Callaway Epic 8*, GD AD TP 7x
    TM M2 15*, Diamana Kai'Li 80x
    Titleist T-MB 2 iron, PX LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP5 3-PW, PX LZ 6.5
    Vokey SM6 50, 55, 60
    Scotty Newport Fastback
Sign In or Register to comment.