Golf Ball Recommendation for 73 Year Old, High Handicap Golfer, need distance

KazfuryKazfury Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
Hi,

Anyone have distance golf ball recommendations for a 73 year old golfer who hits the driver 170 yard?

Thanks!

Comments

• kaycalkaikaycalkai π Members Posts: 409 ✭✭
    If he's just playing to have fun and enjoy the course (not USGA sanctioned tourneys, etc) - the MG Senior ball would be helpful for him.

We've got an older gentleman at the club that had a heart attack in his 80s and just can't swing very hard. He went from about 150 yards to 165 with driver by trying the senior ball.

Again, not for competition - but if he's looking to get a little distance back, check out the MG senior.
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Members Posts: 1,501 ✭✭
    edited Jul 9, 2018 #3
    Not sure of your friend's swing speed but I am 66 and have an 88 mph driver swing speed for reference purposes. I drive balls like the Supersoft and Softfli longer than most probably due to additional rollout. For balls almost as long but a bit better on the green I would recommend the Gamer Soft, DT Trusoft, or e6 Soft.
  • lambo428lambo428 Members Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Titleist Velocity
    Ping G LST 9*
    r7 CGB Max Fairway Woods 3 & 5
    Taylormade Rescue Mid 22* & 25*
    Cobra S3 irons
    Titleist SM6 54* S
    Taylormade ATV 60*
    Odyssey Milled Collection 2
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,334 ✭✭
    lambo428 wrote:

Titleist Velocity

OR Tour Soft.
    Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
  • lil'mikelil'mike Members Posts: 1,278 ✭✭
    Cally SuperSoft

Srixon Soft Feel

Wilson Duo's

Maxfli Softfli's

etc.

Lots of good two piece balls out there that are better off the driver that are not rocks nowadays so fine for iron play too!
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,250 ✭✭
    Wilson Duo.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • BirdieRollBirdieRoll Members Posts: 361 ✭✭
    Golf balls pretty much all go the same distance so it's more of a preference between a soft feeling golf ball or a firmer ball. Balls with a urethane cover will stop better on the greens but cost more.

The GamerSoft is a great value ball. As long as anything else I've played with, great feel, and decent around the greens. Durable, too.

If you're approach shots run over the green and don't hold or if you have a low ball flight I'd look at a ball with a urethane cover for more stopping power. (I say this because my dad is about your age and he plays on hard greens so he has come to really like the Srixon Z Star).
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,721 ✭✭
    Cally Super Softs are pretty long!
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,499 ✭✭
    Bridgestone Ladies Precept. Not even joking.
    Long Live Nike
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,596 ✭✭
    Velocity.
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭
    With today’s class of balls I don’t find any appreciable difference in distance. If a given hole plays driver/7 iron with a ProV1 it probably will with a Velocity also. My take is if you aren’t reaching par 4’s in two and still have 10 to 30 yards into the green a urethane ball will help you more than any small distance gain from a two-piece ball.
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,598 ✭✭
    Wilson Duo and 50/50 elite are both good and the Titleist DT Trusoft is nice also.
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Members Posts: 379 ✭✭
    cristphoto wrote:

With today's class of balls I don't find any appreciable difference in distance. If a given hole plays driver/7 iron with a ProV1 it probably will with a Velocity also. My take is if you aren't reaching par 4's in two and still have 10 to 30 yards into the green a urethane ball will help you more than any small distance gain from a two-piece ball.

I'm 70 and not a long hitter. This describes my game to a T. I play the Snell MTB (original, not red or black) and it really helps on that shot that I need to get close to the pin because I'm one over GIR.
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,217 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2018 #15
    Bridgestone Extra Soft is one that rarely gets mentioned. It is plenty long and a little firmer for feel compared to the Duo, Maxfli. It comes in yellow. Firmer? Velocity is a good choice.
  • atomheartmotheratomheartmother Members Posts: 123
    BirdieRoll wrote:

Golf balls pretty much all go the same distance so it's more of a preference between a soft feeling golf ball or a firmer ball. Balls with a urethane cover will stop better on the greens but cost more.

The GamerSoft is a great value ball. As long as anything else I've played with, great feel, and decent around the greens. Durable, too.

If you're approach shots run over the green and don't hold or if you have a low ball flight I'd look at a ball with a urethane cover for more stopping power. (I say this because my dad is about your age and he plays on hard greens so he has come to really like the Srixon Z Star).

Your post is confusing. You start by stating that all balls go the same distance. But then later say that the Gamet Soft is “as long as anything else I’ve played,” which implies that there are some balls that don’t go as long as anything you’ve played. But if what you meant was that it goes as long as anything you’ve played along with every other ball (as expected), then stating that it goes “as long as anything you’ve played” is redundant.
  • BirdieRollBirdieRoll Members Posts: 361 ✭✭

BirdieRoll wrote:

Your post is confusing. You start by stating that all balls go the same distance. But then later say that the Gamet Soft is "as long as anything else I've played," which implies that there are some balls that don't go as long as anything you've played. But if what you meant was that it goes as long as anything you've played along with every other ball (as expected), then stating that it goes "as long as anything you've played" is redundant.

Fair point. Given Top Flite's stigma/reptuation for making cheap/rock hard balls, I wanted to convey that for the price, one still gets a high-performing ball in the soft/non-urethane category with the GamerSoft and not a "shorter" ball just because of the lower price.

I've played it extensively and it flat out performs and on blow-out specials it's tough to beat for less than a buck a ball.
  • WBLWBL Ender of all threads Members Posts: 33
    Best "cheap" ball I've found is the Srixon Distance. Shop around.
    What's In the Bag
    Cobra King LTD 10.5° driver w/stiff Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI shaft & std Lamkin Sonar grip
    Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15° 3-wood w/reg Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki shaft & std Lamkin Z5 TT grip
    Titleist 915H 3 hybrid w/reg Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue HB 70 shaft & std Lamkin Z5 TT grip
    Tour Edge Exotics CB5 4 hybrid w/stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki shaft & std Lamkin Z5 TT grip
    Titleist AP1 714 irons 5-PW w/reg True Temper XP95 R300 shafts & std Titleist Golfpride Velvet grips
    Tour Edge Exotics triple grind 60°/7° sand wedge & std TE grip
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 putter with Winn 1.32" oversize grip
    Srixon Z-Star ball
    Hot-Z 4.5 Cart Bag

hdcp: 11.0
  • lil'mikelil'mike Members Posts: 1,278 ✭✭
    Another ball worth considering that I didn't list above because I never tried it til the other day is the Topflight Gamer (just Gamer, not soft, tour, etc). I bought some to try since Dick's has them cheap, about $7.50 a dozen and I have to say they are not bad. They are not the old Rockflights from like 10 years or so. These are actually a decent 3 piece ball.
  • Gary8180Gary8180 Members Posts: 61
    I'm approaching 70, suffering from far too many past athletic injuries, a +/- 23 handicap, 80 mph driver swing speed, and just happy to still be playing. I have tried just about every low compression ball available. I kept coming back to the Supersoft as my go to ball for over three years. That said, I just switched to the Wilson duo optix balls. I find that the colors are well suited to my aging eye sight both in flight and on the ground (use red, orange, or yellow depending on conditions) . The ball flight (for me) is higher without sacrificing any distance. The softness of the ball is noticeable (it actually feels softer than the supersoft!). I have been consistently diving the ball 10 to 15 yards longer with it and usually straighter too. I'd highly recommend it to the swing speed challenged looking for a nice ball at a nice price point as well. PS it's surprisingly durable as well.
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    kaycalkai wrote:

If he's just playing to have fun and enjoy the course (not USGA sanctioned tourneys, etc) - the MG Senior ball would be helpful for him.

We've got an older gentleman at the club that had a heart attack in his 80s and just can't swing very hard. He went from about 150 yards to 165 with driver by trying the senior ball.

Again, not for competition - but if he's looking to get a little distance back, check out the MG senior.

I agree. That ball is stupid long, even for some higher speed players.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,217 ✭✭
    edited Jul 14, 2018 #22
    TollBros wrote:

kaycalkai wrote:

I've played the Sr Ball and do not see any benefit compared to a Velocity. Not sure what the buzz is all about. Seems like a marketing gimick. I will say it's a nice two piece yellow distance ball. Nothing wrong with that - just call it what it is.
  • c50soonerc50sooner Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Would say it comes down to whether they like the feel of a real soft ball. You've had a lot of recommendations for Supersoft, but if he's not necessarily looking for that real soft feel, the new DT TruSoft performs as good as any ball I've played recently tee to green, and is a great value. Longer off the tee for me personally than any ball I've tried regardless of price.
    Cobra F8+ 8.5* - Aldila NK2V Green SCallaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi RCallaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black SSrixon Z355 4,6-PW - NS Pro 950GH SCallaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300Odyssey White Hot RX RossieTitleist Pro V1x
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    edited Jul 15, 2018 #24
    Tanner25 wrote:

TollBros wrote:

kaycalkai wrote:

I've played the Sr Ball and do not see any benefit compared to a Velocity. Not sure what the buzz is all about. Seems like a marketing gimick. I will say it's a nice two piece yellow distance ball. Nothing wrong with that - just call it what it is.

We did a test on all the relevant non conforming balls on the market and some players saw up to 4mph increase in ball speed with it as well as very low spin rates. If you can get the ball up in the air off the tee, you should see some benefits. It's pretty consistently 8-14 yards longer than most regulation golf balls at launch angles of at least 12-13 degrees. Test done by all scratch or better players 105-125 swing speed.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.