Witnessed my second ever double-eagle last weekend.

ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,663 ClubWRX
My buddy Geoff made a nice double-eagle 2 on the 500 yard par-5 11th at Bear Creek on Saturday. We played the blue tees. He hit a long cut off the tee and had 180 in on his second shot. Hit a beautiful, high, cut 7-iron to a tucked right pin. When we got up there, the ball was resting against the flagstick, but as we walked up to the green, the ball disappeared for a 2!

Other one was a good ten years ago, buddy holed a 4-iron from 210 on number 17 at SCGA Golf course in Murrieta.
PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)

Comments

• 118811118811 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Congratulations Geoff

I’ve had 3 hole-in-ones....still looking for that rare albatross!!
  • woohoo4mewoohoo4me Members Posts: 610
    *gathers kindling, strikes match* Ahem...…..

Albatross

image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
  • j.b.newtonj.b.newton Posts: 583 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2018 #4
    That sounds like how I played a similar hole in my dreams. However, instead of falling, a bird grabs the ball and drops in the hazard next to the green.

Semantics, but here goes: Why not a triple birdie instead of a double eagle? Double eagle implies 2* -2 (-4), not -3. A triple bogey is not the same as a double double bogey...
  • WalterWalter Belgian Golfer Members Posts: 698 ClubWRX
    Never seen one , came close once myself , a 3 wood Stopped inches for the hole 🙂 . 2 great story's about your albatrosses !!
    Countdown for Augusta!!!
  • Von_OberhausenVon_Oberhausen Members Posts: 138
    I resent this other Geoff in your life, Obee.
    Titleist 910 D3 10.5 degree
    Titleist 910F 16.5 degree
    TaylorMade UDI 2 iron 21 degree
    Titleist 710 MB 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX-3 52, 56, 60 degree
    Odyssey Tri Hot #3
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 892 ✭✭
    Never have seen one in person. Closest I’ve seen was our oldest son hitting the flag stick on one bounce after a long drive. Was a really long par 5, rounded right to left around a lake (not a dogleg, but a long curve) and he cut across the water. Was so much fun to watch!!!

Congrats to your pal!
  • TBD203TBD203 Members Posts: 491 ✭✭
    Closest I’ve been was driving a par 4 and having the pitch and ball be in line with the pin. Can’t see the green from the tee. 😢
  • charlesgetsingercharlesgetsinger Members Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Club Championship 1978. I had two double eagles thrown at me by two different opponents, Beat them both>
  • DE-ILLINIDE-ILLINI Members Posts: 322 ✭✭
    I saw one about three years while playing in my golf league, my opponent made an albatross from behind a mound on the 18th hole. I was standing in the fairway and watched the ball go in the hole. He could not see it from behind the mound. He did not believe me until he reached the green. We were tied going into hole, needless to say I lost the hole and the match.
    Driver: Taylormade M3
    4W: Ping G15
    3H & 4H: Cobra Baffler
    5 - SW: Ping G25
    58*: Cleveland CBX
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,925 ✭✭
    Friend in high school claimed to have made double eagle. Said he hit his second shot on the screws and when he got to the green, he couldn't find his ball. Looked short, in the bunker, over the green... finally checked in the hole and there it was.

I'm real happy with the handful of eagles I've made in my life.
  • birdman72birdman72 Members Posts: 444 ✭✭
    I almost had one last month. I had 200 yds in on a par 5 and hit my 5 iron that landed short of the pin and bounced off the stick. The ball ended up about 2 feet away for and easy eagle.
  • fairways4lifefairways4life Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭
    Tell Geoff to move back a tee box.
  • delmerdelmer ClubWRX Posts: 439 ClubWRX
    edited Dec 21, 2018 #14
    I've got six of them and had five before I made my first hole in one, only have three of those.

The first one I got was in a tournament with a good skins game. The volunteer at the scoreboard wasn't a golfer and she asked me if 2's on Par 5's were rare. I told her they are extremely rare and she said well today they aren't. The first thought in my mind was I just made a double eagle and it didn't hold up but it was on a different hole. He hit driver-2 iron and I hit driver-4 iron.

The other one I had in a tournament was driver-driver on a 610 yard par 5.

I had one last summer, driver-4iron, during a game that was 2 best balls of 4. One of the guys in my group made a three so we played that hole -5.

I almost had #7 this spring in SoCal. Hit a 5 wood that flew in the hole, destroyed the lip, and then sat on the edge.
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,725 ✭✭
    Had one (my only one) this past summer. 220 yard hybrid into the green on our par-5 7th hole. I knew I hit it well, and where I was hoping to (just short and right of the green so that it can kick left off the mound and roll down the sloped green toward the hole). I just didn't know I hit it THAT well. I could see it track left toward the hole, but thought it disappeared in the valley in the middle of the green. Turns out it disappeared into that 4.25" diameter cut out in the green.

I'm told this is statistically much more rare than a hole-in-one. Still don't have a hole-in-one though!
  • fairways4lifefairways4life Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭
    KMeloney wrote:

Had one (my only one) this past summer. 220 yard hybrid into the green on our par-5 7th hole. I knew I hit it well, and where I was hoping to (just short and right of the green so that it can kick left off the mound and roll down the sloped green toward the hole). I just didn't know I hit it THAT well. I could see it track left toward the hole, but thought it disappeared in the valley in the middle of the green. Turns out it disappeared into that 4.25" diameter cut out in the green.

I'm told this is statistically much more rare than a hole-in-one. Still don't have a hole-in-one though!

Way more rare. The PGA published the odds at 12,000 to 1 for an ace but at least a million to 1 for an albatross.

I made one about 5 years ago (driver / 3-wood) and did some research on it. I remember finding somewhere that the PGA Tour averages like 33 hole in ones per season but only like 2.5 albatrosses. And that's a bunch of guys who are routinely hitting par 5's in two (and often with short irons). On a par 3 you are within range of the green every time (or should be at least if you are playing the right set of tees). And you have a flat lie and/or can tee it up.

My home course has only one par 5 that's reachable for me (and it still takes two good shots to do it). But all 4 of the par 3's are between 5-iron and pitching wedge.

The crazy thing about it is that I am not a long hitter at all and rarely hit a par 5 green in two. Maybe 2 times a year I might pull it off. I've never had a hole in one and in fact, my albatross is the only time I've ever holed out a full swing before in 20 years of playing golf. I've holed out plenty of chips and pitches and bunker shots but only once on a full swing. All of those second shots on par 4's and even all those wedges for my third shot on par 5's. Nothing. But I holed out a 3-wood. Go figure. Golf works in mysterious ways.

Make sure to join the double eagle club!
    KMeloney wrote:

My firs hole in one came about six months after my first double eagle so hopefully you'll follow me and can expect a one on the card soon.
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,118 ✭✭
    Obee wrote:

My buddy Geoff made a nice double-eagle 2 on the 500 yard par-5 11th at Bear Creek on Saturday. We played the blue tees. He hit a long cut off the tee and had 180 in on his second shot. Hit a beautiful, high, cut 7-iron to a tucked right pin. When we got up there, the ball was resting against the flagstick, but as we walked up to the green, the ball disappeared for a 2!

Other one was a good ten years ago, buddy holed a 4-iron from 210 on number 17 at SCGA Golf course in Murrieta.

I used to live in Murrieta for 7 years 01-08. Played SCGA many, many times as my home course and hole 17 usually played into the wind and couldn't get home in 2 most of the time. Played Bear Creek this summer and kudos to your buddy, who seems like a LONG hitter!

SBH9458 wrote:

Never have seen one in person. Closest I’ve seen was our oldest son hitting the flag stick on one bounce after a long drive. Was a really long par 5, rounded right to left around a lake (not a dogleg, but a long curve) and he cut across the water. Was so much fun to watch!!!

Congrats to your pal!

Wait... am I the only one who caught this? What you are saying is your son almost had a hole in one on a Par 5? You could see the ball hit the flagstick or a group ahead told you? Did he miss the putt or what happened? This would be unbelievably rare! Like probably happens 1 time every decade or so in the entire world rare.

BTW the iconic basketball coach John Wooden had a hole in one and a double eagle in the same round of golf! I think he joined 2-3 others in history to have done the same.
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 892 ✭✭
    Schley wrote:
    Obee wrote:

I used to live in Murrieta for 7 years 01-08. Played SCGA many, many times as my home course and hole 17 usually played into the wind and couldn't get home in 2 most of the time. Played Bear Creek this summer and kudos to your buddy, who seems like a LONG hitter!

SBH9458 wrote:

Congrats to your pal!

Wait... am I the only one who caught this? What you are saying is your son almost had a hole in one on a Par 5? You could see the ball hit the flagstick or a group ahead told you? Did he miss the putt or what happened? This would be unbelievably rare! Like probably happens 1 time every decade or so in the entire world rare.

BTW the iconic basketball coach John Wooden had a hole in one and a double eagle in the same round of golf! I think he joined 2-3 others in history to have done the same.

I appreciate you clarifying. He hits it a ton but no, he does not get home in one on a par 5. I’ve never seen anyone get home in one on a par 5. It was his second shot that bounced and hit the flagstick. Really cool to watch.
  • tommgtommg Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Witnessed one once, he was my partner in a match. Dude was -5 thru 5 then the skies opened up. We tried to wait it out but never finished the round.
    My friend and I got paired up with a guy when we were about 13 years old and he made a one on a par four. It was a 310 yard par four and we watched it roll in like a putt. That's about the coolest thing in the world when you're 13.
  • IvanDragoIvanDrago Members Posts: 450 ✭✭
    I got one this year at st annes old links.

250 yard seçond shot, p790 2 iron.

Went bogey, bogey, treble after it ��
  • ajohns54ajohns54 Members Posts: 1
    Almost got one at Sand Valley in 2017. Ended up a few inches away on the par 5 10th for a tap in eagle. I wonder if it would have been the first in course history (officially opened just a few weeks prior).
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,299 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 12:15am #24

Club Championship 1978. I had two double eagles thrown at me by two different opponents, Beat them both>

Classic first post. Kudos to you, sir ... Made all the bett by waiting 6 months before dropping. Well played.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"