I feel worse for Van de Velde every time I see the replay

Comments

• buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭
    Most of the show was good and would have been MUCH better without the irritating stereotypical bartender and his irritating stereotypical accent. Aside from that it was a nice recap.
  • ClintDaggerClintDagger Members Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I get that hitting the grandstands and getting that kick is a bad break, but that’s precisely why you club down and play down the middle of a hole with a big lead. If you squirt out to the edges of a hole that’s where big numbers come in. Some through bad luck even. Not much bad can happen down the middle of a hole. Even if you chunk your 2nd and find the burn, you drop in the short grass, chip up, two putt, and it’s over.
    TM ’16 M2 Tour 8.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75g / 6.5
    TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14* Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 80 X
    TM P-790 (2-4 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-760 (5-7 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-730 (8-PW) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    Titleist Vokey SM 6 52* 08-F
    Titleist Vokey SM 5 60* 04-L
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Te I3
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,205 ✭✭
    Watched it live & the recent special on it. Cannot get over the stupidity of it. "Carnasty" was especially fitting in '99. Most dangerous #2i approach that never needed to happen.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,320 ClubWRX
    jonsnow wrote:

Jean is the real life Roy McAvoy. How many people remember who won the 99 Open?

Paul Lawrie came from 9-10 back.
  • Titleist 670Titleist 670 Members Posts: 1,836 ✭✭

I get that hitting the grandstands and getting that kick is a bad break, but that's precisely why you club down and play down the middle of a hole with a big lead. If you squirt out to the edges of a hole that's where big numbers come in. Some through bad luck even. Not much bad can happen down the middle of a hole. Even if you chunk your 2nd and find the burn, you drop in the short grass, chip up, two putt, and it's over.

I agree. Firing one right into the grandstands and then saying the result is a "bad break" is a bit ridiculous to me. It's completely unpredictable where the ball will bounce.

I watched the special - I was interested in what Van de Velde had to say, as well as his caddie, but the bar scenes were a waste of time and it was too drawn out. Could have been 30 minutes without an issue.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,381 ✭✭
    buckeyefl wrote:

Most of the show was good and would have been MUCH better without the irritating stereotypical bartender and his irritating stereotypical accent. Aside from that it was a nice recap.

Yeah, that was brutal.

Although the bartender was spitting image of wifes uncle, RIP.

This guy, bet on anything. We all be out to dinner and he would leave and go cross the street to the bar and play video poker.

Also, he could eat like 2 pounds of mashed potatatoes.

I get that hitting the grandstands and getting that kick is a bad break, but that's precisely why you club down and play down the middle of a hole with a big lead. If you squirt out to the edges of a hole that's where big numbers come in. Some through bad luck even. Not much bad can happen down the middle of a hole. Even if you chunk your 2nd and find the burn, you drop in the short grass, chip up, two putt, and it's over.

I agree. Firing one right into the grandstands and then saying the result is a "bad break" is a bit ridiculous to me. It's completely unpredictable where the ball will bounce.

I watched the special - I was interested in what Van de Velde had to say, as well as his caddie, but the bar scenes were a waste of time and it was too drawn out. Could have been 30 minutes without an issue.

Yeah 1 hole of golf doesn’t need an hour documentary. 30 minutes would have been plenty.
  • kgeorge78kgeorge78 Members Posts: 7,788 ✭✭
    i loved the show.

I honestly think he is fine with the result and his life turned out just fine.

He seems like a pretty cool guy as well..

TS2 10.5 DIAMANA LTD S+ 65G
    TS2 15 DIAMANA LTD S+ 75G
    Mizuno MP53 3-PW S300
    Vokey SM2 52 56 60
    Blue Spider X

• JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members Posts: 1,825 ✭✭
    Gmack1973 wrote:

Guys i know im being pedantic but its burn....not byrne!! A burn is the word for a small stream in Scotland. Byrne is an irish surname! Thanks👍👍

Thank God you pointed that out. Read the first few posts wondering who Byrne was. No doubt TGC and their intellectual scriptwriters had a graphic up with "Byrne" on it and everything...
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2018 #41

Exactly.I remember my friend right next to me yelling at the tv in the club saying "WTF is he doing ???just hit wedge wedge and you win you effin idiot!!!!" Worst decision he made and i blame the caddie. i would have tackled my friend/pro if he tried to hit a 2 iron in that situation. Full tin cup break all his clubs except his wedges and 8-9 iron. He gutted out that putt to get into the playoff but we all knew he was cooked. you dont recover from that

Harrington is lucky Sergio lipped out on 18 in 2007 or he would have his own special... who knows if he wins another 2 majors after that or 1 for that matter! he butchered that 18th almost as bad as vandevelde
  • IVMIVM Members Posts: 454 ✭✭
    It was sad to watch when it happened and to see him literally have a mental breakdown while trying to be as cool as a cucumber was very sad . Not to hit two wedges off of his drive and two putts and get out of there was pure craziness. How he can put such a brave face on it is beyond me . He does not play anymore and is divorced so I assume it pretty much ruined his life .

As to the program it should only have ran for thirty minutes, it was good tv but for the Barman .

But there will be more fun from Carnoustie next week.
    kgeorge78 wrote:

i loved the show.

I honestly think he is fine with the result and his life turned out just fine.

He seems like a pretty cool guy as well..

I agree. I think he’s a well rounded enough person that he didn’t let it ruin his life and I think he’s a happy & content person. But I bet he will always be haunted by it in some way. It’s all about putting something like that in the proper perspective and I think he did that. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t sit back and reflect on it and really kick himself. I mean he has to, right?
  • vanillafunk616vanillafunk616 Members Posts: 552 ✭✭
    Helluva putt he made to make the playoff though...
  • BoogieThumperBoogieThumper Sweet Jonez Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭
    I’m actually watching it now he should’ve pitched out sideways on his third shot. It’s easy for me to say from my couch two glasses of wine down. I have to say I do like his attitude. He seems to have taken it in stride.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]COBRA F7
    PING G-25 4-Wood
    PING G-25 Hybrid
    NIKE Covert 5-AW
    NIKE Engage Toe Sweep 54*/Dual Sole 58*
    Cleveland Huntington Beach 4
    SNELL MTB [/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]RED[/font]

*Make Par Not War*
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,449 ✭✭
    You have to give Van de Velde respect and credit for how he handled the loss.

[media]
  • fowlerscousinfowlerscousin Members Posts: 793 ✭✭
    This moment is the JFK assassination of golf. Everyone remembers where they were and what they were up to when they saw it play out on TV for the first time.
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,557 ✭✭
    He still had a chance to redeem himself in the playoff. Wasn't meant to be.
    PING Rapture V1 Driver 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* & 23* hybrids
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,687 ClubWRX
    jonsnow wrote:

What is the population of Scotland? ;-)
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,687 ClubWRX

This moment is the JFK assassination of golf. Everyone remembers where they were and what they were up to when they saw it play out on TV for the first time.

Van de Velde played in the '86 Masters?
  • jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,231 ✭✭

Interesting you say that. I didn't see the final hole in it's entirety live because the JFK Jr plane crash had just occurred & the local affiliates cut away for a breaking news update. I can't remember if it was to announce that the plane was lost or if they had found the wreckage (the crash actually occurred July 16, 1999). I saw Van de Velde hit his tee shot & apparently get away with it, then they cut away to the news. When they came back he was standing in the burn & I could not figure out what happened.

Anybody else experience this?
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,320 ClubWRX
    lowheel wrote:

Exactly.I remember my friend right next to me yelling at the tv in the club saying "WTF is he doing ???just hit wedge wedge and you win you effin idiot!!!!" Worst decision he made and i blame the caddie. i would have tackled my friend/pro if he tried to hit a 2 iron in that situation. Full tin cup break all his clubs except his wedges and 8-9 iron. He gutted out that putt to get into the playoff but we all knew he was cooked. you dont recover from that

Harrington is lucky Sergio lipped out on 18 in 2007 or he would have his own special... who knows if he wins another 2 majors after that or 1 for that matter! he butchered that 18th almost as bad as vandevelde

With you on his caddie's role in this. Based on the lead he had, the caddie needs to get his head straight on the 18th tee. Who cares if you bogey the hole or even make double for that matter.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,824 ✭✭
    Can’t watch crap like that. Have no desire to see a man kicked continuously.... a man who likely is tormented for the rest of his life. Really no way to get up in the morning and not think of that day . When you work your whole life for something and then have it in hand and throw it away. It isn’t something you get over. You just build walls around it and try to go through the Motions everyday.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • helper_monkeyhelper_monkey Members Posts: 230 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

jonsnow wrote:

Paul Lawrie came from 9-10 back.

His 67 on Sunday is unfortunately forgotten in the JVV saga. If not for the spectacular way JVV melted down, Lawrie's 67 might be regarded as one of the all time great Sunday rounds in major history. I think the stroke average that day was something like 75 or 76.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,381 ✭✭

Can't watch crap like that. Have no desire to see a man kicked continuously.... a man who likely is tormented for the rest of his life. Really no way to get up in the morning and not think of that day . When you work your whole life for something and then have it in hand and throw it away. It isn't something you get over. You just build walls around it and try to go through the Motions everyday.

You should watch it, blade. It's not a hit piece. Especially if you did not see the tournament (I didn't)

They give a great day by day on how he played that week and insight into his character and style He in interviewed at length and seems happy to sit and discuss it. He seems to be in a good place with it now. And the caddie interviews are great.

Also, you get perspective on Lawrie and his rounds, especially the last one and how he stepped up in the round and playoff. The interviews with the players and announcers provide insight into how crazy intense that moment was and how much everybody felt for the guy. Seems like everybody was so spent, nobody, not even the announcers remembers that playoff.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,824 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

Can't watch crap like that. Have no desire to see a man kicked continuously.... a man who likely is tormented for the rest of his life. Really no way to get up in the morning and not think of that day . When you work your whole life for something and then have it in hand and throw it away. It isn't something you get over. You just build walls around it and try to go through the Motions everyday.

You should watch it, blade. It's not a hit piece. Especially if you did not see the tournament (I didn't)

They give a great day by day on how he played that week and insight into his character and style He in interviewed at length and seems happy to sit and discuss it. He seems to be in a good place with it now. And the caddie interviews are great.

Also, you get perspective on Lawrie and his rounds, especially the last one and how he stepped up in the round and playoff. The interviews with the players and announcers provide insight into how crazy intense that moment was and how much everybody felt for the guy. Seems like everybody was so spent, nobody, not even the announcers remembers that playoff.

Well. I may give it a shot since he is interviewed for it . If he’s willing to comply maybe it’s for the good. I just had no desire to see it rehashed for the wow factor anymore than I already had. Thanks for the info.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭
    eagle1997 wrote:

you guys ever see the commercial where he replays that hole with only a putter? and makes a 6?

Never Compromise putter commerical. He tried it three times, made a 9, then 8, then a 6 on his 3rd attempt. Getting over the burn on his third shot was key!

Felt bad for the guy at the time, but such is life...it goes on. I am sure Van de Velde would be the first to tell you better to have loved once than not at all. He couldn't play the next time at Carnoustie because he had a weird virus that knocked him down for months; thought it could be bone cancer. But he bounced back a little and won a Euro tour event later.

He's done alright and has a crazy memory forever.
  • dwbostondwboston Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,322 ✭✭
    I had totally forgotten about Craig Parry holing out the bunker shot right before VDV played his 6th shot from the bunker. That entire sequence is surreal. His real mistake was the third shot. Play it sideways back toward the fairway, pitch on, two-putt for the win.
    Titleist TS2 10.5*, GD AD TP 6S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 7S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD HY 95S
    Bridgestone J15 CB, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4 | Vokey SM6 52.08F | Vokey SM6 56.10S | Vokey SM7 60.12D
    Bettinardi BB0 Flow, 34"/350g
  • bigchucksrbigchucksr Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    It is unnecessary to speculate about what "should have done", it is enough to understand the cosmic truth of the matter--it was the 20th century, he was French, and of course he lost. Universal historical truths are often cruel in their inevitability.
  • AC168AC168 Members Posts: 830 ✭✭
    For all the bad breaks I’ve gotten in golf or have heard stories of, this one is so crazy that it’s still unbelievable this many years later. Makes you start thinking about fate.
  • HackerGTHackerGT Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Gmack1973 wrote:

Guys i know im being pedantic but its burn....not byrne!! A burn is the word for a small stream in Scotland. Byrne is an irish surname! Thanks����

Byrne is the lead singer of Talking Heads!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsSpAOD6K8