What happened with zach johnson

Comments

• joey2acesjoey2aces not as smart as most but not as gullible either Members Posts: 5,878 ✭✭
    Last 20 starts

3 Tops 10's

7 Top 15's

10 Top 20's

T57 worst finish

1.5 Missed Cuts (cut after Saturday at TPC)

yeah, he surely has fallen from the ranks.
    Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
    2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
    M2 4h AD DI 8s
    Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
    718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
    Scratch 53 Modus 125
    Scratch 57 Modus 125
    PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

WITB Link
  • johnnyprojohnnypro Members Posts: 1,849 ✭✭
    Send more time pounding balls and less being a drama queen about how the USGA "lost the golf course."
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    I was wondering when the "what happened to X" post was coming. And like usual, it's talking about someone who is #54 on Fedex currently. So in other words, someone who is easily positioned to make a run at the finals and is one of the top golfers in the world. Now off to find the post complaining about the John Deere Classic field. I'm sure that one is already there.
    Clubs are fluid
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,833 ✭✭
    SnakeP. wrote:

He got old? Still #51 in the world.

Only on WRX is #51 a has been.

What happened to Curtis Strange, Bill Rogers, David Duval, Tiger Woods? Golf is tough.
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • pappaf2pappaf2 Members Posts: 3,467 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2018 #36
    cardoustie wrote:

Na is not a beast and he won

I'm surprised the evil ZJ hasn't been a jedi force in the US Open. That would cap his career off nicely, a 3rd major at a diff event

He's long enough on the right courses

He was one shot out of the playoff at Whistling Straits in 2010.

(obviously PGA Champ not US Open)

*edit: but yes he hasn't been the same since the PXG switch.
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    md1m wrote:

I was wondering when the "what happened to X" post was coming. And like usual, it's talking about someone who is #54 on Fedex currently. So in other words, someone who is easily positioned to make a run at the finals and is one of the top golfers in the world. Now off to find the post complaining about the John Deere Classic field. I'm sure that one is already there.

It's amazing how fast so many people who are still playing well get written off by people on this board. He's 51st in the world and 54th in the FedEx, I have to guess he's going to be just fine. He quietly goes about his business and doesn't get a lot of screen time because of it. Though, with Tiger back and playing, theres not many who get screen time anymore unless they are playing out of their mind.

Since i don't seem to see the thread on the John Deere, do you want to start it or should I?
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • tobiasjdtobiasjd Members Posts: 427 ✭✭
    PXG. I don't think the clubs are at fault, it's the change. Affects players differently.

See it a lot in golf. Harris English was always talked about as a rising superstar, then he left Ping. Now he's back.

Happens more when they change their swings. Usually to chase more distance or a different shot shape. Luke Donald, Hunter Mahan, Lucas Glover, Stewart Cink.
    Cobra King LTD Black
    Titleist 910FD 15° 3w
    Titleist 917F2 18° 5w
    Callaway Apex 4h
    PING iBlade 5 - PW
    PING Glide 50° SS
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 56°, 60° SS
    Bettinardi BB1
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 782 ✭✭

md1m wrote:

It's amazing how fast so many people who are still playing well get written off by people on this board. He's 51st in the world and 54th in the FedEx, I have to guess he's going to be just fine. He quietly goes about his business and doesn't get a lot of screen time because of it. Though, with Tiger back and playing, theres not many who get screen time anymore unless they are playing out of their mind.

Since i don't seem to see the thread on the John Deere, do you want to start it or should I?

The John Deere thread is there - someone started it yesterday. I knew WRX wouldn't let me down.
    Clubs are fluid
  • TMoakley1547TMoakley1547 Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Zach is 90th in SG:putting, 27th in SG Tee to green, and 26th in SG around the green. He is, and will be, just fine. Just needs some more putts to drop, appears to me anyway.
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    md1m wrote:

md1m wrote:

The John Deere thread is there - someone started it yesterday. I knew WRX wouldn't let me down.

Ah yes, I do see it now. Praise be to WRX!
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • cardozacardoza Members Posts: 1,186 ✭✭
    He found his Precious.

vF5XxJ3.jpg
    Titleist TS3 8.5* - Matrix MFS Black Tie 70X
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 13.5* - HZRDUS Yellow 83X
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 18* - Accra 380 M5
    Miura 501CB 3-PW - KBS Tour 130X
    Callaway MD4 52* W Grind and 58* X Grind - DG X100
    Byron Morgan 612 35"
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,431 ✭✭
    Zach will stay in the middle of pack.

By the way, I am changing my name from Ferguson to 8iron176.
  • Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,818 ✭✭
    I am NOT a Titleist guy.........but I think the switch to PXG has hurt Zach.
    It's just one of those things. Why do some who play well with PXG not praised for playing PXG but then one plays bad with PXG for whatever reasons and it's gotta be the clubs. C'mon. It's golf. Plain and simple.
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,663 ClubWRX
    mosesgolf wrote:

It's just one of those things. Why do some who play well with PXG not praised for playing PXG but then one plays bad with PXG for whatever reasons and it's gotta be the clubs. C'mon. It's golf. Plain and simple.

Unless we're talking the golf ball as equipment, because that **** Volvik devil ball pretty much killed Bubba. LOL
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • BreakingParBreakingPar Recovering golf club and golf ball hoarder... Members Posts: 2,319
    cardoza wrote:

He found his Precious.

vF5XxJ3.jpg

I just now realised why he never takes his glasses off
    WITB:
    GBB Epic 9* Graphite Design Tour AD TP-6x
    (Blank for now)
    R15 3H Aldila Rogue Black 85
    Apex UT 21* KBS Tour V
    MP-18 MMC 5 - PW Nippon Modus 120
    50* T7, 56* EF ATV
    Spider Tour Black
    Obee wrote:

mosesgolf wrote:

Unless we're talking the golf ball as equipment, because that **** Volvik devil ball pretty much killed Bubba. LOL

Touche. Gotta give you that one. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> It was the ball in Bubba's case. 100% certainty. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Posts: 653 ✭✭

Ghostwedge wrote:

Na, Tringale, Kuchar, Poulter, Kisner, Lee, Ryan Moore, Stroud, Stenson, Bryan.

Johnson is longer than every one of these guys. @ PGATour.com

stenson ? lol he likely hits 9 iron to Johnsons 7 iron .....
    Here iʻll help you out... Stenson hits 3- wood off the tee usually.

Bam!
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭
    cardoza wrote:

He found his Precious.

vF5XxJ3.jpg

This reminds me of the nice girl who told me it was creepy that I was looking at her while kissing her. She was right, and this picture confirms it as strongly as the laws of the universe.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,224 ✭✭
    8iron175 wrote:

He was a huge competitor..always on top of the leaderboard. Used to is key word.

He's just never been the same after he quit banging **** stars.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • IVMIVM Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Changing his equipment has not helped his game , but he is still a top player .
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,003 ✭✭
    Ghostwedge wrote:

Ghostwedge wrote:

Na, Tringale, Kuchar, Poulter, Kisner, Lee, Ryan Moore, Stroud, Stenson, Bryan.

Johnson is longer than every one of these guys. @ PGATour.com

stenson ? lol he likely hits 9 iron to Johnsons 7 iron .....
    Here iʻll help you out... Stenson hits 3- wood off the tee usually.

Bam!

and driver pasts Zachs when he hits it .... you mised my point.. which wa show silly the stats list you posted is
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Posts: 653 ✭✭
    Silly stats list ? I see a bunch of names which all average less than Zach on the measured holes including Stenson.

Reading comprehension is your friend.
  • ray9898ray9898 Posts: 749 ✭✭
    LOL....at top 50 player in the world gets a 'what happened to' thread.
  • Anchor44Anchor44 Posts: 898 ✭✭
    8iron175 wrote:

He was a huge competitor..always on top of the leaderboard. Used to is key word.

Do you mean the Zach, "I'm from Cedar Rapids, Iowa," Johnson?
  • EKELLYEKELLY Posts: 2,593 ✭✭
    It's not the PXG irons, it's the giving up the Vokey wedges. He was a magician with those Vokeys.....
  • dmeyerpgm0218dmeyerpgm0218 Members Posts: 21
    Solid showing at the John Deere this week. Final round 64. I wouldn’t mind picking him for The Open for cheap.
  • Titleist 670Titleist 670 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭
    He never recovered from the anchor ban.
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭
    if can't be top 10, he just needs to quit the game ...
  • BookerBooker Members Posts: 719 ✭✭

Solid showing at the John Deere this week. Final round 64. I wouldn’t mind picking him for The Open for cheap.

Good bet I had him at st Andrews when he won as my dark horse. If I recall he was around 90/1 odds that year.