wilson staff duo urethane balls

huskiehuskie Members Posts: 509 ✭✭
anyone play these? compare them to chrome soft? fg tour or prov?

Comments

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,349 ✭✭
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • MuddlerMuddler Members Posts: 825
    When they came out, people here said they were essentially a remake of the original FG Tour, but with better durability.
    Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
    Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
    Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
    Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
    Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
    Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,212 ✭✭
    They're out there at a good price. Not sure how they compare other than they are softer a nice ball.
  • LightBearerLightBearer Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    See Nessism
    Clubs gripped with Pure DTX Midsize

Long Clubs: Wilson Staff D100, 10.5* loft, Srixon Z 355 15* Fairway, Srixon Z H65 2H, 16*
    Middle Clubs: Cobra Baffler XL Irons 5-PW Lite Flex
    Short Clubs: Cobra S3 Max Gap Wedge 49*, Nike Engage Toe Sweep 54*
    :D
    Ball: Snell MTB (Primary), Srixon Q Star (Secondary)
    Seemore FGP Bronze Putter, Left-Handed, 35.5"
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,349 ✭✭
    Muddler wrote:

When they came out, people here said they were essentially a remake of the original FG Tour, but with better durability.

Duo U is way softer than the original FG Tour.
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • spartanglfrspartanglfr Members Posts: 372 ✭✭
    edited Jul 12, 2018 #7
    I tried it when it came out about 4 years ago--imo it should be cheaper since it hasn't been improved and there has been no newer version--and it's a decent ball except for the cover durability. Below average compared to other urethane balls.
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers Posts: 391 ✭✭
    I really like this ball, and find it similar to the original Chromesoft. However, at $38 a dozen, it's not really a great deal. I prefer the FG Tour for just a little more. And I don't find much difference between it and the Srixon Q-Star Tour and Kirkland Signature 3 piece for significantly less.

If Wilson changed their price points a little, I think they'd be homeruns. Duo - 17.99, Duo Spin 23.99, Duo Urethane 29.99, FG Tour $39.99.
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • sosob34sosob34 Members Posts: 174 ✭✭
    arbeck wrote:

I really like this ball, and find it similar to the original Chromesoft. However, at $38 a dozen, it's not really a great deal. I prefer the FG Tour for just a little more. And I don't find much difference between it and the Srixon Q-Star Tour and Kirkland Signature 3 piece for significantly less.

If Wilson changed their price points a little, I think they'd be homeruns. Duo - 17.99, Duo Spin 23.99, Duo Urethane 29.99, FG Tour $39.99.

The Wilson Duo-U can currently be found at Academy Sports for $29.99. Free shipping also.
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers Posts: 391 ✭✭
    sosob34 wrote:

arbeck wrote:

The Wilson Duo-U can currently be found at Academy Sports for $29.99. Free shipping also.

At that price it's fine, but I don't love waiting for closesouts to hoard balls.
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,093 ✭✭

I tried it when it came out about 4 years ago
    The Wilson Duo Urethane was released in early 2016.
  • armyhawk3342armyhawk3342 Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I play it often and enjoy it. I tried many different balls last year including the Chrome soft and Chrome soft x, TP5, Srixon Z-Star and Q-Star Tour and I liked it over all of those...mainly because I couldn't tell a huge difference between it and the more expensive balls and it felt nice chipping and putting. It also felt like it would jump off my driver more than other balls (not saying it always went farther, but felt nice). My local shop had a hard time selling them, mainly because I think people associate Wilson with being cheaper, at full price and had them marked down to $25 a dozen so I stocked up at that price.
    Driver: Cobra F8+ (9.5*)
    UDI: Taylormade Gapr Lo (17*)
    Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5*)
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 (22*), Cobra F8 (25*)
    Irons: Cobra King Pro MB Black (6-PW)
    Wedges: Taylormade Hi-Toe (50*, 56*, 60*)
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tess
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭
    29 compression....very soft
  • theedge27theedge27 Members Posts: 605 ✭✭
    tsecor wrote:

The Duo U is 55
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,278 ✭✭
    Because the manufacturers don't all use the same method for reporting compression, I like looking at the GolfBallTest.org compression ratings. Gives one a better comparison from ball to ball.

I tend to prefer overall ball compression to core compression, anyway.

Looking at the ratings it explains why I liked the dozen Big Bertha Diablo balls I got for Xmas one year. They had a compression a couple pts lower than the Fifty Elite, with a cover softness on par with the premium products. They were a lot of fun. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
    theedge27 wrote:

tsecor wrote:

The Duo U is 55
    my bad....was thinking of the surlyn I guess
  • better_than_most82better_than_most82 Club Consultant Members Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Great ball! If you want short iron spin and low driver spin this is the optimal ball. It's cheaper than chrome soft and it's much softer on the wedges and putter.

The only knock is durability. They tend to get cut or scuff easy but overall a good.

The closes comparison is the old callaway superhot 55 ball.
    why would this urethane be any different than others? why would it damage so easy?
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,888 ✭✭
    tsecor wrote:

why would this urethane be any different than others? why would it damage so easy?

I played one ball for a couple rounds and it looked almost new. Not sure where the durability comments are coming from.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway GBB Alpha 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Gw/Sw/Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • MuddlerMuddler Members Posts: 825

tsecor wrote:

I played one ball for a couple rounds and it looked almost new. Not sure where the durability comments are coming from.

I played a dozen, and as I recall, they were pretty durable. They certainly didn't strike me as "not durable."
    Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
    Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
    Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
    Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
    Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
    Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom
    I was goin to buy some of these until I read some of the threads about the durability....the 29 compression duo flies straight and long and im really interested to try this Duo U.

I have some nike rzn to trade fo do u if anyone is interested...
  • spartanglfrspartanglfr Members Posts: 372 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

I tried it when it came out about 4 years ago
    The Wilson Duo Urethane was released in early 2016.

thanks for the correction. I guess time doesn't fly as quickly as I thought!