ddetts' Swing Journey - Searching for scratch, SDGA Mid-Am exposed my game & doing a hard reset

Comments

• ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,585 ClubWRX
    bogeypro wrote:

At setup, you need more angle between your arms and shaft. Your arms and shaft have too little angle. This causes you to have the club head under your hands in the takeaway and very flat. On the down swing, feel like you need to get your right elbow in front of your right shoulder. It’s behind you, causing you to throw out all your hinge too early. Since you throw it out early, the club is longer through impact so guy have to stand up or you’ll hit it fat. Standing up too early causes less rotation so now you flip it through impact.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try the setup change and see what that does.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,253 ClubWRX
    edited Nov 6, 2018 #123
    ddetts wrote:

bogeypro wrote:

At setup, you need more angle between your arms and shaft. Your arms and shaft have too little angle. This causes you to have the club head under your hands in the takeaway and very flat. On the down swing, feel like you need to get your right elbow in front of your right shoulder. It’s behind you, causing you to throw out all your hinge too early. Since you throw it out early, the club is longer through impact so guy have to stand up or you’ll hit it fat. Standing up too early causes less rotation so now you flip it through impact.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try the setup change and see what that does.

Try this drill: setup, then hinge the club straight up toward your nose until the club is parallel to the ground. Now take your back swing and hit it. Notice how the club will stay outside your hands, if you maintain that hinge.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 3-pw
    Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,866 ClubWRX
    ddetts wrote:

Not swing related, but with the weather being mostly crap I finally finished off the paint fill for my new wedges. I think they turned out nicely.

fMq5psM.jpg

DkdqPDD.jpg

The dark green paint can be hard to see in photos, I may try a clear green acrylic next time around.

Rats, thought those were black and gold! ;-)
    edited Nov 8, 2018 #125
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

ddetts wrote:

Not swing related, but with the weather being mostly crap I finally finished off the paint fill for my new wedges. I think they turned out nicely.

fMq5psM.jpg

DkdqPDD.jpg

The dark green paint can be hard to see in photos, I may try a clear green acrylic next time around.

I don't have anything against the Hawkeyes, but I'm still hanging onto that NDSU win over them at home!
    Post edited by Unknown User on

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,866 ClubWRX
    ddetts wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

ddetts wrote:

fMq5psM.jpg

DkdqPDD.jpg

I don't have anything against the Hawkeyes, but I'm still having onto that NDSU win over them at home!

LOL. Haven't been able to swing because of the elbow and now winter is here, but that putting mat and device are pure gold!
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

ddetts wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

ddetts wrote:

fMq5psM.jpg

DkdqPDD.jpg

I don't have anything against the Hawkeyes, but I'm still having onto that NDSU win over them at home!

LOL. Haven't been able to swing because of the elbow and now winter is here, but that putting mat and device are pure gold!

I work from home a couple days a week and I take a lot of breaks to roll putts on the mat and use the PuttOut. I love it.

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

So, not sure if it was the smartest move (given I've played once in the last month and I'm still in the middle of swing changes) but I went in and did a driver fitting. I knew all year I was leaving yards on the table with my Nike Vapor Pro but I kept telling myself I'd wait until my swing was all "fixed" and see if perhaps that would get me more optimized.

Anyway, I went with a Rogue Sub Zero which gained me about 12 yards on average and tightened up dispersion a little. I hit 6 or 7 other heads in various shaft and loft combinations and initially Callaway wasn't on my list of drivers to try because I typically haven't liked their sound or shape.

I wasn't swinging that well and could tell I had regressed some back into my flip pattern with a lot of pulls and pull draws. Was getting club head speed in the 107-109 range, with a couple at 110+.

For whatever reason, I never feel comfortable hitting on simulators and I've known that for some time. Perhaps I should've waited for spring and done an outdoor fitting. I'm sure I can always get a "check up" in the spring and tweak loft and possibly shaft if needed.

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

It's not much, but it's a start... I've finally put together a spot where I can work on things over the winter.

F9U7TPp.jpg

It's no simulator and I don't have a launch monitor but it's something. I've still got aspirations to get a SkyTrak and make a little more permanent setup, but at present I've got a teenager and a 3rd car taking up valuable garage space.

For now I'll have to rely on video, stills and mirror work along with focusing on fundamentals like grip, setup & alignment.

I've also got a Swingbyte 2 from 3 years that I think I used once that I may mess around with.

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

• rich srich s Members Posts: 577 ✭✭
    Get the skytrak, it adds sooooooo much to the experience. I think its still on sale...
    rich s wrote:

Get the skytrak, it adds sooooooo much to the experience. I think its still on sale...

I know, I almost pulled the trigger on one but just can't at the moment.

1) I'd also have to layout some coin for a computer for the simulation, my home computer is old (I have a work laptop that sees most of my use) and would not be sufficient. I already got some questioning over the net and made cost (my wife isn't a golfer)

2) Space - I already have to back out my teen's car, move the mat and move the net to hit. Any time I want to drop other things in there like cycling, I also have to move stuff or take down the net. I can tear down that net in about 5 minutes but still. Add in Skytrak with setting up, leveling, aligning, hooking up cables, etc every time I want to hit and that becomes cumbersome.

Long term I'm hoping to figure out a solution for a more permanent layout that won't require me to setup and tear down, but that might not happen until I get my 3rd stall back in a couple years.

I'd like to rearrange a bit, and get a net suspended from the ceiling, on "rails" or poles so I can just pull it back and forth around my hitting area. Then build a permanent area for the hitting mat.

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

I just use a Ipad or my phone. I don't see any advantage of using a screen and projector. I have to set-up and tear down each time. Takes me 5 minutes. Buy her some flowers and bath soaps.
    rich s wrote:

I just use a Ipad or my phone. I don't see any advantage of using a screen and projector. I have to set-up and tear down each time. Takes me 5 minutes. Buy her some flowers and bath soaps.

Assuming you use the phone/tablet for the Skytrack app? I wouldn't think you would be able to do the simulation like The Golf Club, E6 Golf, etc. on just a phone or tablet?

So you're able to setup the SkyTrak in about 5 mins? What all is involved? just leveling and making sure it's perpendicular to the target line?

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

edited Nov 26, 2018 #134
    I play WGT on it no problem. Works great. My whole set-up takes 5 minutes. That's the net, mat, skytrak etc. The Skytrak has two laser dots you align down the target. Takes 20 second to pair it to the ipad. Here is my set-up I demo the skytrak at the 6 minute mark:

[media=]
    rich s wrote:

I play WGT on it no problem. Works great. My whole set-up takes 5 minutes. That's the net, mat, skytrak etc. The Skytrak has two laser dots you align down the target. Takes 20 second to pair it to the ipad. Here is my set-up I demo the skytrak at the 6 minute mark:

[media=]

That's a nice setup! I don't completely mishit it that often, but I feel like I'd be worried about shanking one right of that net! The rukket bought is 9' wide and I am still a little considered with the possibility of shanking one right and putting a hole in my wall!

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

you can move the net closer if you like but I have never been close to missing it. My daughter has hit a lot of balls into it and only had one miss but we keep the net pretty far away. It does not have to be that far to let the skytrak read so moving it closer won't hurt anything.
    First time really using the net and mat tonight. I like both, and I'm now pretty pleased with the investment. Gotta figure out how to maximize my practice and make sure I'm working on the right things.

What I'm not pleased with is my swing. I've really only played one round in the last 9 weeks, and hardly swung my clubs. I can see whatever progress I was making is mostly gone. About the only positives still there are that the swing is shorter than where I started but still a touch long and my grip is stronger but probably still not strong enough.

Here's the latest from inside the garage. Going to be hard to get great face on takes, but can probably get a little better next time by angling the setup a bit to give me a little more room to setup the camera.

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

I feel like I've still got a really flat turn in the backswing. Am I lacking some side behind taking it back? Or am I just seeing things?

While the FO camera angle is a bit whack, I can't get over how narrow my stance is and how square my feet are. That setup is pretty poor - no shoulder tilt and almost leaning toward target side.

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

• ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,526 ✭✭
    ddetts wrote:

First time really using the net and mat tonight. I like both, and I'm now pretty pleased with the investment. Gotta figure out how to maximize my practice and make sure I'm working on the right things.

What I'm not pleased with is my swing. I've really only played one round in the last 9 weeks, and hardly swung my clubs. I can see whatever progress I was making is mostly gone. About the only positives still there are that the swing is shorter than where I started but still a touch long and my grip is stronger but probably still not strong enough.

Here's the latest from inside the garage. Going to be hard to get great face on takes, but can probably get a little better next time by angling the setup a bit to give me a little more room to setup the camera.

[media=]

[media=]

Just came here to say keep grinding. No idea how to offer good or bad advice on your swing - I'm certainly no expert.

Also, I'm liking that shop/garage setup you have there.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

ddetts wrote:

[media=]

[media=]

Just came here to say keep grinding. No idea how to offer good or bad advice on your swing - I'm certainly no expert.

Also, I'm liking that shop/garage setup you have there.

Thanks appreciate the words - really wish there was a Skytrak included that setup, and I really wanted to pull the trigger with them offering the $300 off right now but I would likely be facing some serious charges from the War Department (a.k.a. the significant other who is not a golfer) dropping $2k on what she would consider a golf toy.

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,426 ✭✭
    I have the smallest garage known to man... I'm trying to get a net in there for the winter but I'm not even sure I can swing a club in there. How big is that net in post 134? I thiiiinnnnkk if I open my garage door and move all the garbage cans outside, I could fit that against the wall. I'd be like 4 ft away from it though. I'd probably just be looking to be hitting little baby 50% irons, but that's perfect to work on mechanics.
    WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD Tour Blue 75X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Ardmore 2 Red-White or TP Juno
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

Z1ggy16 wrote:

I have the smallest garage known to man... I'm trying to get a net in there for the winter but I'm not even sure I can swing a club in there. How big is that net in post 134? I thiiiinnnnkk if I open my garage door and move all the garbage cans outside, I could fit that against the wall. I'd be like 4 ft away from it though. I'd probably just be looking to be hitting little baby 50% irons, but that's perfect to work on mechanics.

The one in my videos and photos is 9x7x5 according the the manufacturer, I haven't measured to see if there's any difference.

Post 134 looks like this net, but can't say for certain since it's not mine. Says 10x7x5 in the product info.

https://www.rukket.com/collections/golf-nets/products/rukknet-the-original-pop-up-golf-net-w-ball-return-feature-10x7x5-practice-your-swing-anywhere

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Hmmm... problem is my garage is not very wide. Barely wide enough to fit a car... it's so narrow that if you do put a car inside, you can't even fully open the door. No more than 7' wide I'd say. It's got depth though so I think if I pretty much just move all the crap near where the door outside... I could fit a little net.

So I'm probably looking for something maybe only 4ft wide. 10ft wide is literally wider than my whole garage lol. If I put it the other way... it wouldn't fit either because I've got storage boxes.
    WITB
    LTD Tour Blue 75X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Hmmm... problem is my garage is not very wide. Barely wide enough to fit a car... it's so narrow that if you do put a car inside, you can't even fully open the door. No more than 7' wide I'd say. It's got depth though so I think if I pretty much just move all the crap near where the door outside... I could fit a little net.

So I'm probably looking for something maybe only 4ft wide. 10ft wide is literally wider than my whole garage lol. If I put it the other way... it wouldn't fit either because I've got storage boxes.

I'd maybe looking into just buying one of the hanging nets, and rigging something up to the ceiling so you can pull it aside when not using it

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Hmmmmm almost like how a shower certain gets hung type of thing? Tony Finau said he used to hit into a mattress in his garage... Not sure how that would work.
    WITB
    LTD Tour Blue 75X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Hmmmmm almost like how a shower certain gets hung type of thing? Tony Finau said he used to hit into a mattress in his garage... Not sure how that would work.

Exactly - I'd think there would be sort of a hanging track system you could suspend from the ceiling and just have the net in that system. I can't fine it at the moment, but I'm sure some searching of the forums could find some of the company's that make just the netting you can buy. I've seen links in other "simulator build" type threads.

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

edited Dec 3, 2018 #147
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

I was thinking something like this - that would allow you to hang the net, and then just slide it over to the end when not in use.

https://roomdividersnow.com/products/ceiling-track-sets?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxZPgBRCmARIsAOrTHSYyXw72gmCAKH9R6kicSG4KPcncmIrp7BeyPUFPFrNDXGJXKLeFe9kaAnaaEALw_wcB&variant=16602667910

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

That would work perfect but I've got the tracks along the side of the garage for the garage door. I can't recall off the top of my head if they leave room above them to the ceiling or not.

I'll have to take a look...Might just be it's not in the cards until I can move and get a better space.
    WITB
    LTD Tour Blue 75X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

Last January I purchased the SuperSpeed training system, however I only used it once since I started experiencing some low back pain (didn't coincide with the the one use of SuperSpeed). So I shelved them while I was working on resolving the back pain. I also wasn't doing any swinging of clubs either during this time.

I decided it was time to get them back out and do the training since I have nothing better to do for the next 4-5 months while I wait out winter here. I'm hoping to combine the SuperSpeed 3x a week with some strength training & core/stability work, along with some cardio to get into decent shape.

A couple observations - I stink at swinging left handed, like I have almost no coordination left handed. If I even gain a little bit of ambidextrous skill from this program it'll be a win. Second, I noticed that often the "harder" I was trying to swing, the less the speed increased or even decreased. Definitely exposing some of my inefficient/wasted motion in my swing. I noticed some different feelings or ways to get the clubs moving faster and it started to show in some of the later swings.

I got in a hurry over my excitement to use the radar and totally forgot to record my driver speed hitting a ball prior to beginning. So, I'm using my average from my last driver fitting as a stand in. Here are the numbers from my 2nd session overall and 1st session since I picked up the swing speed radar.

Driver speed before SuperSpeed = 108mph

12/10/18 - Intro protocol

Standing

Right Left

Gr Bl Re Gr Bl Re

120 114 110 100 97 94

Step Change

Right Left

Gr Bl Re Gr Bl Re

121 118 111 103 97 97

Standing/dominant side only, lightest

Driver speed after SuperSpeed = 113mph

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

• ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,526 ✭✭
    So after the first session how did the back feel?
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

So after the first session how did the back feel?

Not really any different than it has the last 10-11 months. Long story short the pain I have comes and goes and is pretty manageable. Over the last year I did a few physical Therapist visits and worked on what they recommended, did chiropractor work and have recently really started focusing on core stability and strength. It hasn't significantly changed what I feel, so I'm almost starting to wonder if it could be a hip issue causing referred pains in my left low back.

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights