Anyone ever tried taking out the dampening material in a Scotty?

magnito1969magnito1969 Posts: 223 ✭✭
Has anyone ever tried taking out the dampening material behind the face insert on a Scotty Studio Select? I know i'm in the minority here but I prefer a higher pitch sound and was wondering if the dampening material could be removed if I took off the face insert.

Maybe it won't make a difference at all?

Thanks!
F9 / Copperhead / Pro Orange / Fuji Pro TS / Fuji Speeder Evo I (self fitting spectrum or torture!)
5w - F6 Baffler / Chrome+
4h - F7 Hybrid
4, 5 - Pinhawk Single Length Hybrid / Gunsmoke
6-P - DBM / Gunsmoke
52, 58 - Cleveland RTX-3
Toulon Indianapolis

Comments

• T-MACT-MAC Members Posts: 1,954 ✭✭
    Give it a try!

I'd be curious to know if it made any difference as well because I just don't care for the feel (or lack of) coming off the face of these new Scotty's with the inserts.
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    Every time. I prefer it. Gives it a feel closer to the deep milled. I don't care for SC inserts at all.
  • BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,598 ✭✭
    It'd be interesting if someone did this and reported back

I wonder how much that tape actually does? Like TMAC, I'm definitely more a fan of the non insert stuff
    Yadi for President
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,143 ✭✭
    I’m going to have to be that jerk that states the obvious.

Save yourself the time and trouble and simply buy yourself a similar previous generation with a solid face.

No hassle involved and you won’t destroy the resale value for the majority of people that like the softer feel of the insert.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • 23under23under KING Posts: 1,324 ✭✭
    Yeah as above and why would you alter a putter that one of the best putter makers in the business has spent $$$$$ on R&D, testing, etc? Sounds like a downgrade to me and may have adverse affects.
    COBRA F8+ HZRDUS YELLOW 6.5
    COBRA F8 19* HZRDUS BLACK 6.5
    TAYLORMADE MC 4-PW X100
    ODYSSEY JAILBIRD MINI
    TITLEIST PROV1 X
    CLICGEAR 3.5
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,405 ✭✭
    I doubt you'd notice a thing.
  • T-MACT-MAC Members Posts: 1,954 ✭✭
    .......So go to your local hardware store, buy some 3M double-sided tape, and put it back in there if you don 't like the feel without it.

Easy-peasy. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    Only SC would call stock double sided tape "vibration dampening material" lol.
  • sdrthedjsdrthedj Members Posts: 312 ✭✭
    Skhacker wrote:

Only SC would call stock double sided tape "vibration dampening material" lol.

If you called it 'tape' you could only charge $275. Vibration dampening material costs much more for R&D and production image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />