AP2 vs Apex combo

mxskiermxskier Members Posts: 426 ✭✭
So.. I may have gone full club ho and bought a set of the apex combo set of irons on CPO that showed up today. I really like my AP2, but I had CF16 before switching to AP2, and sometimes I feel like I miss the forgiveness of the Apex CF16 long irons.

Thing is, I live at altitude and don’t need help with distance (7i is my 172 club) so the extra length in lofts isn’t really necessary, and fliers worry me a bit, but no one ever says no to easy length.

Has anyone his the apex combo? Did you stick with them or move on to something else? I am fully prepared to return the irons unhit to get full refund, but would love feedback to see if it’s even worth hitting them.
Ping G400 LST Tour 65S
Cobra F8+ 3W VA Slay 75
PXG 0317 3H VA Slay 85H
Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW Oban CT 115
Vokey SM7 50/54/60 Oban CT 115
Bettinardi BB1
Taylormade TP5

Comments

• MCCAMCCA Members Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    I play ever series of titleist going back to 2011 I have CF Apex 16’s love the feel and distance I get from Callaway’s.
  • denvergolfdenvergolf Members Posts: 1,463 ✭✭
    mxskier wrote:

So.. I may have gone full club ho and bought a set of the apex combo set of irons on CPO that showed up today. I really like my AP2, but I had CF16 before switching to AP2, and sometimes I feel like I miss the forgiveness of the Apex CF16 long irons.

Thing is, I live at altitude and don't need help with distance (7i is my 172 club) so the extra length in lofts isn't really necessary, and fliers worry me a bit, but no one ever says no to easy length.

Has anyone his the apex combo? Did you stick with them or move on to something else? I am fully prepared to return the irons unhit to get full refund, but would love feedback to see if it's even worth hitting them.
    Do you hit a lot of long irons? I suppose it just comes down to the percentages of clubs hit, and what you like looking at. Coming from TM P750 and 730, I have been really pleased with how forgiving the 718's are, while still feeling good and easy to flight up, down, left, right.
    Taylormade M5, 9*, Tensei Pro White 70TX, 44.75"
    Taylormade M5, 15*, Tensei Pro White 80TX, 42.75"
    TaylorMade P790 UDI, 17*, Project X Hzrdus Black 85 - 6.5 or M3 20* Hybrid, Kuro Kage XT 100TX
    TaylorMade P.7TW, 4-W, DG Tour Issue X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 52-mid, 56-mid and 60-low
    Titleist Cameron Tour Rat 1-M 
    2019 TM TP5x
  • DreadzombieDreadzombie Members Posts: 220 ✭✭
    edited Jul 12, 2018 #4
    I love my 716 ap2s, and have really just started to try working them on a few tighter windy courses in the area. They're pretty forgiving, and I fill in the lower irons with either the 818 hybrids or tmb irons. What longer irons are you having trouble with? I have my 4i swapped out for a 818, and am deciding between a hybrid or 3/2i of the tmb.

I played the apex pro 16s (full set) before this and find the ap2s are more forgiving and play pretty close distance wise. Tmbs are fantastic as distance irons
  • kiw1982kiw1982 Members Posts: 1,200 ✭✭
    I had them and loved.

I moved simply because the shaft I had. It was soft for me.

Personally, I prefer Apex combo than ap2.(had 3 sets of ap2 and liked them) Easier to hit.

Hope this help.
    Mizuno        ST-180 Driver w/KuroKage HBP 50 S+
    Taylormade  M6 3 Wood w/NV 2KXV Blue 75 S+
    Taylormade  P790 UDI 2 Iron w/ KBS Tour 120 S+
    Taylormade  P790 4-G Irons w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Mizuno        T7 56/10 Wedge w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Mizuno        S18 60/06 Wedge w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Odyssey      O-Works 1WS Putter