Feel worse for Van De Velde or Doug Sanders?

King_Slender brought up the idea of feeling worse and worse for Jean Van De Velde every time he sees the replay of the 99 British Open. To deviate slightly on that topic: Who do you feel worse for, Van De Velde or Doug Sanders? Sanders of course is know for missing that short putt to win the Open at St Andrews, eventually loosing to Jack in a playoff.

I'd say I feel worse for Sanders. Everyone rags on Van De Velde, but good or bad, you know his name and that story. No one remembers who actually won that tournament.

Comments

• jslane57jslane57 Members Posts: 3,929 ✭✭
    edited Jul 12, 2018 #2
    Van De Velde. Why? Sanders won 20 PGA tour events. He is remembered as a very successful player. He missed a putt, lost to Jack. So what, everyone lost to Jack. Van de Velde is remember for one thing, his brutal collapse. Bad decisions and bad executions. Dude, I wish he could have held on just a little better...
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,712 ✭✭
    I would pick DOUG: he missed a 3 footer to win! Then had to face Nicklaus in a playoff !!

VV: had several chances at 18th hole to right the ship and muffed each!! Then he still made the playoff with 4 holes to acquit himself..
  • jslane57 wrote:

Van De Velde. Why? Sanders won 20 PGA tour events. He is remembered as a very successful player. He missed a putt, lost to Jack. So what, everyone lost to Jack. Van de Velde is remember for one thing, his brutal collapse. Bad decisions and bad executions. Dude, I wish he could have held on just a little better...

No one remembers Doug Sanders for anything but that missed putt and clothes he wore. Granted he did win 20 times, but that was 40 years ago. If you don't win a major, you're lost to time.
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Members Posts: 3,057 ✭✭

jslane57 wrote:

No one remembers Doug Sanders for anything but that missed putt and clothes he wore. Granted he did win 20 times, but that was 40 years ago. If you don't win a major, you're lost to time.

Also, Doug just seems like a really sweet guy based on what I've seen/heard of him.

He doesn't seem like someone I'd ever wish that kind of fate on.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5)
    Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Black (16.5)
    Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 9031 (20 / 23)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52 (F) / 56 (F) / 60 (S)
    Putter: Nike Method Milled 003
  • MelloYello wrote:

jslane57 wrote:

Also, Doug just seems like a really sweet guy based on what I've seen/heard of him.

He doesn't seem like someone I'd ever wish that kind of fate on.

Sanders is an interesting character, but what i've seen and heard of him he can't stop living in the past. Every interview i've read he does nothing but name drop dead celebrities he used to hang out with 40 years ago. His charity tournament came to an end after some suspicious book keeping on his part. And he's also been suspended by the senior tour in his playing days for some questionable person behavior.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,389 ClubWRX
    As indicated in the duplicate thread, plenty of people remember Paul Lawrie won - I've actually grown tired of them going back to Carnoustie because we have to relive van de Velde 24/7 for two weeks - I feel sorry for me.
  • JL1JL1 Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited Jul 13, 2018 #8
    Hard to feel sorry for Doug Sanders when he put one of the worst putting strokes in the history of golf on that ball.

• FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    Tom Watson

To this day I can't stand Stewart Cink.
  • jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,207 ✭✭
    That's a tough one. We see Van de Velde over & over again because it happened more recently & the documentary is running on GC so often now with The Open going back to Carnoustie, but watching Sanders reach towards the ball reflexively as if to rake it back after missing is painful to watch.
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,207 ✭✭
    Van de Velde.
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • Dave230Dave230 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭
    jslane57 wrote:

I would say Sanders for the same reasons. If you win 20 PGA Tour events, you would expect to win at least one major. Not to reach that expectation is disappointing. I'm sure Van de Velde never thought he'd come anywhere near winning a major, it would have been a bonus.

It was also after 3 other major 2nd places. So he had the heartbreak before...this was his moment...alas. Van de Velde never had that.

Also Sanders played really well to reach that point and did everything right, but for one shot that didn't go his way. Van de Velde was just a complete hatchet job. He had several opportunities to save himself and he failed to take them.
  • FIRs&GIRs&3-PuttsFIRs&GIRs&3-Putts Posts: 470 ✭✭
    Scott Hoch
  • whiteout73whiteout73 Members Posts: 1,019 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:

Tom Watson

Yes, I too bear a totally unreasonable dislike for Cink. Ruined perhaps the best story in golf history.
    D - Ping G400 10-degree SFT, Diamana ka'li 70S
    3W - Tour Issue TM RBZ Tour TP 14.5, Diamana kai'li 70S
    Hy - TaylorMade 2009 Rescue TP 19, Aldila RIP 85S
    4-W - Ping i25, Ping TFC 189i graphite stiff
    UW - Ping i25, Ping CFS
    54 and 60 - Bettinardi H2 Cashmere
    P - Bettinardi BB28 Raw Limited
  • tommgtommg Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Norman
  • SlackattackSlackattack Members Posts: 350 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:

Tom Watson

I’ve never been more upset after a golf tournament. I usually enjoy tournaments but don’t get so invested in the outcome that it bothers me. What could have been?
    Cleveland Custom XL - Black Tie X
    TEE CB4 3W, CB2 5W - Proforce V2 X
    Adams Idea Pro 3H - Aldila By You S
    Callaway Apex 4I - KBS Tour X
    Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-PW - KBS Tour X
    588 RTX Rust - 52, 58 KBS Tour X
    Odyssey MXM #9, 34 in.
  • PotatoheadPotatohead Members Posts: 2,874 ✭✭

Scott Hoch

This is what I was going to say. If you bring up Sanders you have to bring up Hoch. Or De Vicenzo.
  • seve1972seve1972 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

As indicated in the duplicate thread, plenty of people remember Paul Lawrie won - I've actually grown tired of them going back to Carnoustie because we have to relive van de Velde 24/7 for two weeks - I feel sorry for me.

^^^ THIS TIMES A BILLION...
  • JasonicJasonic Gamer Banned Posts: 3,571 ✭✭
    I feel sorry for Doug sanders’ playing partners waiting 15 minutes for him to hit the ball....every time.
    2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
    Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
    Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
    Ping Anser OG
    Snell MTB Black
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,013 ✭✭
    Sanders. The guy deserved a major, he was a quality player for many years. jVV was a marginal euro player

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,442 ✭✭
    Neither including Watson or Hoch. I’m disappointed at all of them for not closing the deal. But I’ve been accused of being a heartless ba$[email protected]
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • boxerjoe2011boxerjoe2011 Oh Billy!!! Posts: 957 ✭✭
    Easy, Sanders. The guy had a gimme and got the yips at the worst possible moment. Van De Velde's ball doesn't hit the metal pole "just right" on the grandstands and his second shot ends up in the rough next to the green side bunker. A chip anywhere on the green and he's got 3 putts to win. I would actually say Sanders was more of a choke given how it played out. If Van De Velde's second shot went straight into the water however without the incredibly bad bounce, that would be a different story then.
  • mstrammstram Members Posts: 188 ClubWRX

eventually loosing to Jack in a playoff.

Eventually ... what ??
    mstram wrote:

Eventually ... what ??

The spelling police strike again. Send the guy a note before calling him out .

3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
  • JasonicJasonic Gamer Banned Posts: 3,571 ✭✭

mstram wrote:

Eventually ... what ??

Yea let’s celebrate bad grammar because reading and writing properly is for loosers
    2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
    Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
    Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
    Ping Anser OG
    Snell MTB Black
  • mstrammstram Members Posts: 188 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 15, 2018 #26
    Jasonic wrote:

I feel sorry for Doug sanders' playing partners waiting 15 minutes for him to hit the ball....every time.

I know how they felt.

I played with a "sanders-lookup" guy last week in a tourney. Ridiculous, literally 15-20 "looks" before EVERY shot.
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭
    i don't feel sorry for anyone in golf ...

giphy.gif
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,635 ✭✭
    JV got screwed by a grandstand post, so unlucky

I've met Doug, nice gent .. and apparently the inspiration for Dead Solid Perfect .. so he has that going for him
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    Jasonic wrote:

mstram wrote:

Eventually ... what ??

Yea let's celebrate bad grammar because reading and writing properly is for loosers

Irregardless, and for all intensive purposes, your right.
    Ferguson wrote:
    Jasonic wrote:

mstram wrote:

Eventually ... what ??

Yea let's celebrate bad grammar because reading and writing properly is for loosers

Irregardless, and for all intensive purposes, your right.

Not celebrate, but cooperate as we would like to be treated by others. A message to the off ender might suffice. Teeheeheehee

3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6