How long should a golf bag last

dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,789 ClubWRX
edited Jul 12, 2018 in Golf Bags/Carts/Headcovers #1
This is mostly a bit of venting. But maybe it would help me if my expectations are unrealistic. But how long should a good bag last.

Up until the last 3 years, I used a couple of Sun Mountain bags, C130 and C130S. I think I had the C130 for several years and it was still working well and looking good.

Three years ago I bought an Ogio Vapor Stand bag. Loved the Woode top and it sat well on my Clicgear cart. But about a year and a half in, the inserts came loose. Ogio was gracious enough to send my a replacement bag, but it was gray and not black like my original bag. I hated the color an never used the bag.

So I went to the PGATSS and looked for a new bag. With the the thought that another Ogio wouldn't do. Well after a bunch of looking and checking I walked out with an Ogio Cirrus. Now about 1 1/2 years in that bag, I again have really grown to like the bag a lot. However a few months ago, the putter well insert started pulling out. I'd use the putter to push it back down when I put the putter back. Some times easy and sometimes hard. After 9 holes this evening, the stupid thing pulled out on every hole.

When I got home I pulled it all the way out and realized that the bottom was not only detached, but completely blown out. So now I may have to decide to get another bag if I can find a fix.

So to my question, is 1 1/2 years reasonable for a bag. Or would you expect or have you gotten more life out of a bag?

I have to believe that I have finally learned my lesson with Ogio bags. They have some great features, but if I cant count one them for a few years then so what.

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 85 6.0
Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", KBS CT Tour Putter Matte Black, SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Comments

• Edaw68Edaw68 Members Posts: 1,487 ✭✭
    I think more than a year and a half from a bag is a reasonable expectation, absent treating it really hard. I wouldn't be mad about sun fading the colors, some wear on the material, or maybe rubbing damage. However, what you describe seems worse than normal wear. I usually have bags last longer than my interest in them and they still work fine even though I look for something new.

It does look like you have a thick putter grip. Is it possible that the putter well simply wasn't quite big enough for it?
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,789 ClubWRX
    It’s a SS Mid slim 2.0. Not huge in my opinion.

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", KBS CT Tour Putter Matte Black, SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,243 ✭✭
    edited Jul 13, 2018 #4
    I have a Jones classic stand bag in grey that I got when I was a club pro in 1996.

I have well over a thousand rounds on it, most on a cart, some carry, and some push cart.

It’s a touch thin in the fur around the top liners and a bit sun faded, but still quite serviceable.

Most of the bags these days are garbage. Im sure I’ll be buying another Jones in the near future. I guess I could retire it after 22 years.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members Posts: 1,487 ✭✭
    dbdors wrote:

It’s a SS Mid slim 2.0. Not huge in my opinion.

Yeah, not excessive. Looks like the two possible things are either the putter grip was a touch too big and kept catching the liner, eventually pulling it out, or just shoddy stitching. Or a combo of the two. In this age of larger putter grips I think bag manufacturers should plan for that with specific putter well slots, and if the slot can't take a bigger grip (phrasing!) then put that on the tag. In the future find a bag with fewer dividers and bigger sections maybe? I carried a putter with a thick grip in a 4 way Sun Mountain for a while without issue.
  • PALS-SSAPALS-SSA Members Posts: 281 ✭✭
    This is the price we are paying for lighter and lighter bags is flimsier materials. You can't reinforce anything because that adds weight.

Or you can buy a heavier bag that will last.
  • tmoney47tmoney47 Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
    dbdors wrote:

This is mostly a bit of venting. But maybe it would help me if my expectations are unrealistic. But how long should a good bag last.

Up until the last 3 years, I used a couple of Sun Mountain bags, C130 and C130S. I think I had the C130 for several years and it was still working well and looking good.

Three years ago I bought an Ogio Vapor Stand bag. Loved the Woode top and it sat well on my Clicgear cart. But about a year and a half in, the inserts came loose. Ogio was gracious enough to send my a replacement bag, but it was gray and not black like my original bag. I hated the color an never used the bag.

So I went to the PGATSS and looked for a new bag. With the the thought that another Ogio wouldn't do. Well after a bunch of looking and checking I walked out with an Ogio Cirrus. Now about 1 1/2 years in that bag, I again have really grown to like the bag a lot. However a few months ago, the putter well insert started pulling out. I'd use the putter to push it back down when I put the putter back. Some times easy and sometimes hard. After 9 holes this evening, the stupid thing pulled out on every hole.

When I got home I pulled it all the way out and realized that the bottom was not only detached, but completely blown out. So now I may have to decide to get another bag if I can find a fix.

So to my question, is 1 1/2 years reasonable for a bag. Or would you expect or have you gotten more life out of a bag?

I have to believe that I have finally learned my lesson with Ogio bags. They have some great features, but if I cant count one them for a few years then so what.

I have had a Sun Mountain 3.5 since 2013 (5+ years) and my dividers did the same thing as your putter well. It got knotted up and made it hard to put the clubs all the way in. I just cut out all the nylon and now my bag is similar to a Jones with no full-length divider fabric just the top dividers, and it is totally fine. I walk, push, and cart and there is no tangle and no reason to get another bag just based on that issue. If you like the bag, you can salvage it and see if that fix works. If not, you can always buy then.
    tmoney47 wrote:

I have had a Sun Mountain 3.5 since 2013 (5+ years) and my dividers did the same thing as your putter well. It got knotted up and made it hard to put the clubs all the way in. I just cut out all the nylon and now my bag is similar to a Jones with no full-length divider fabric just the top dividers, and it is totally fine. I walk, push, and cart and there is no tangle and no reason to get another bag just based on that issue. If you like the bag, you can salvage it and see if that fix works. If not, you can always buy then.

I think for now I will do what you did and just cut it out. Maybe look for some end of season or Christmas discount and get a new bag then. Its not a major issue, just annoying. And like I said maybe a little venting. I would certainly not be complaining if I got 5+ years. But both bags (the original Vapor and now the Cirrus) failed in a little over a year.

I'm kicking myself a bit in that my decision came down to the Ping Hoofer and the Cirrus. In the end I'm sure I would have liked the Hoofer better.

• brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,754 ✭✭
    edited Jul 13, 2018 #9
    I had an Ogio VaporLite that was junk after about 20 rounds, and have read similar experiences about Ogio. Ogio is terrible for durability.
    PING i20 10.5*
    Adams LP 15*
    Adams a7 19*
    Titleist 718 AP1
    Titleist SM6 52.08F, 58.08M
    Odyssey White Hot #1
    brew4eagle wrote:

.......Ogio is terrible for durability.

I think I'm coming to the same conclusion.

• dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 440 ✭✭
    edited Jul 20, 2018 #11
    Guess I've been lucky so far. My Ogio is going on over 9 years (with some years playing multiple times a week, other years where I didn't play much at all). I love the Woode system organizer. I carry about 30% of the time, use it in a push cart the remainder of the time.

So far, it's held up better than my previous Sun Mtn (under similar use), which I kept on trying to keep going with bailing wire and bubble gum before I gave up and bought the Ogio.

(Correction to my original post. I had originally posted that my Ogio bag was over 5 years old. I had confused it with a bag that I had bought for my son about 5 yrs ago. My own Ogio is over 9yrs old and still holding up fine. A bit of minor wear on the shoulder straps, but that is to be expected.)
    edited Jul 16, 2018 #12
    On the way home this evening I stopped by GG to look at the Ping Hoofer. Before I left I looked at the current Ogio Cirrus, and to my surprise the putter well has no divider. In fact the new bag is very sparse on dividers period.

• adizeroadizero Members Posts: 577
    edited Jul 14, 2018 #13
    I have had very good luck with and am very happy with my Ogio cart bag. Granted, I am an older golfer and I take exceptional care of my gear. Bought my SKV in 2000. Built like a tank. It was $149 or so. That was back in 2000, some would say that was a lot. When buying a new bag make sure to inspect points of stress and make sure it meets your standards and will meet your requirements and handling. https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/wpimages/images/images4/1/0712/28/1_214ebc3951f695f2c65d9a2b433e424f.jpg

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5*
    Callaway Fusion 13.5*
    KZG Forged II M CB 3-PW Rifle 5.5 +1"
    Cleveland T/A 900 Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
    Ping Anser 35" (2001)
    OGIO Sport "Stinger SKV" bag
    TaylorMade TPx, Callaway Chrome+, Srixon Q-Star Tour
  • AllShowNoDoughAllShowNoDough Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I've been using a Ping Hoofer for about 15 years. No plans on replacing
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TaylorMade R9 Supertri 10.5* 16g weight in heel, set in R Position, effective loft is 9.5* w/ TP Fubuki 73g stiff[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cobra FlyZ set at 14.5* w/ stock shaft[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Titleist 690.CB 3-PW +0.5" w/ DG s300[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 54*, 60*[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Wilson FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 56* 11* bounce[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Ray Cook SR100 Cheap experiment turned gamer [/font]
    edited Jul 16, 2018 #15
    Callaway CS is always pretty good, and they are sending me a replacement bag. Of course they are low on stock as the 2019's are coming soon, and they didn't have a black one. But matters not as I ordered a new Hoofer in black today. Looking forward to many years of good use with it.

• GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
    Original Ping Hoofer 2 since it came out. Walk 100 rds a year in all kinds of weather, one strap is just now starting to wear across the right shoulder. Might out last me.
  • CactusGolfCactusGolf ClubWRX Posts: 1,808 ✭✭
    edited Jul 16, 2018 #17
    My original Ping Hoofer lasted more than a decade. Only reason I got rid of it was the sun discoloration.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 65
    Taylormade M2 15* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade M2 18* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade PSi 4-PW KBS Tour
    Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*
    Nike Method Origin B2-01
    Callaway Chrome Soft
    WITB Link
  • tobybeartobybear Members, Media Staffer Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    2 things that will outlive the eventual nuclear war:

Cockroaches,

The Original PING Hoofer 2
  • PaintmanPaintman Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    My Ogio is going on 20 years in fine shape. It's a stand bag and I walk 80% of the time. But I take care of it. Clean it with Fantastic twice a season. It really looks overbuilt compared to today's similar bags. Heavy zippers, stitching and rings.
    edited Jul 19, 2018 #20
    It really sounds like they are not building to the same quality as in the past. Like I said, that Vapor stand lost its internal divider when the elastic came off the loop in the bottom. And the Cirrus divider simply tore to shreds. The exterior of both the bags looked great and held up. My only issue is with the dividers.

If you get a chance to look at one of the new Cirrus bags, it looks really wimpy on the inside. I find it interesting that this years Cirrus does not have the putter well divider.

• Joe V.Joe V. Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    My wife had an Ogio bag that crapped out in less than two years and she is not tough on things. Got her a Hoofer, she'll have that quite awhile I think...
  • KARL MKARL M Members Posts: 658 ✭✭
    500 rounds minimum
    G400Max 10.5 Driver Red tie 6Q3 stiff
    917 F2 Fairway 16.5* Speeder TS mod 74 stiff
    917 F2 Fairway 21* Speeder TS mod 74 stiff
    Cobra F6 23.5* Hybrid White Tie Firm flex
    Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex
    Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
    Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
    Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
    Scotty Newport 2, prov1x, Kangaroo-hillcrest AB
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,708 ✭✭
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 611 ✭✭
    Mine usually last 5-10 years.
  • brianmontgomery2000brianmontgomery2000 Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 772 ✭✭
    edited Jul 24, 2018 #25
    I'm on an Ogio cart bag that is 5 years old and going strong. The only thing is that zipperless ball pocket is looser than I'd want it to be...

3-4 evening 9's per week, April - November.

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S
    Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13)
    Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17)
    Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X
    Odyssey Sabertooth

• EddieEdwardsEddieEdwards Members Posts: 346 ✭✭
    Izzo lasted 2 years, stand broke.

Hoofer, faded and wear from rubbing several years. Built like a tank but wanted something lighter.

Sun mountain 3.5, 2 years no issues. Rarely used since getting a cliq gear.

Sun mountain c130s, 2 years push cart/cart no issues
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 608 ✭✭
    Depends, I suppose.

Some $50 Academy sports bag may last or may not. Not like there's maintenance to golf bags, but climate, how frequently used, etc. all contribute.

I had a C130 (maybe 7 years ago) that did a similar thing to what OP pics show, SM replaced it so no big deal.

I own 5 C130s (I get an itch for new model or new color now and then) all the way back to the original (so 10 years or so) that I could still use, but it holds spare sets for guests in the 'warehouse' -- I'm a reformed club Ho.

If it's leather and cared for, could last decades, though I have a couple of staff bags that aren't coming apart, but are aging.

If Ogio won't replace or help you replace if out of warranty, go back to SM or another brand seems like an option.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
    edited Jul 27, 2018 #28
    GSDriver wrote:

Depends, I suppose.

Some $50 Academy sports bag may last or may not.......

If Ogio won't replace or help you replace if out of warranty,.....

Yes, I should have stated that I am asking about the better name brands, SM, Ogio, TM, Callaway, Titleist, etc.

They seem to have no problem backing their product. When the Vapor crapped out, they replaced it with new Shreeder (Vapor was discontinued).

And this time they sent me a 2018 Cirrus.

But I decided to go ahead and get the Ping Hoofer.

• avguyavguy Replacement Player Sonoran Desert, AZMembers Posts: 1,067 ✭✭
    I've been using Bennington QO-12 bags since 2010 as I like to keep my forged irons seperated on the move and on the course.

The "fabric" version, is red/black, and looks excellent still on the outside with zippers and wear. The inside is another story as some tears in the deep bottom divider areas makes for difficult club entry/exits at times in several slots.

The PLU leather version has same design, but different pockets design. It has held up better in the club divider area but the visual wear of that material is more of an ugly factor than function - all the zippers are still strong & working.

I would buy another Bennington as these get alot of hard use for nearly 8 seasons. Part of the internal divider issue for me is once I started using them on a Clicgear 3.5, they sit more diagonal vs. riding carts and hence, I've torn that cloth divider more in the red/black bag as it even is closer to a 60 degrees angle vs. about 75 with the PLU version.
    BAG ONE:                                                                                                                     BAG TWO:
    D-Titleist 917 D2  or 910 D2                                                                                           D-Srixon Z355 
    3-TM RBZ ts                                                                                                                   3-TM R11ti
    H-Titleist 915 H1 17, Titleist 816  H1 21, Bridgestone Precept ECU 25                        H-TM 2.0 SF 18 & 21, Cobra AC 25
    I - Honma TW727M or Callaway R MBs                                                                         I - TM M5 or P790
    W- Mizuno 52, Vokey SM6 58                                                                                       W- Mizuno 53, & 58
    P-Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                                                         P-Guerin TS Black 370

• Hoodman22Hoodman22 Members Posts: 41 ✭✭

I have a Jones classic stand bag in grey that I got when I was a club pro in 1996.

I have well over a thousand rounds on it, most on a cart, some carry, and some push cart.

It’s a touch thin in the fur around the top liners and a bit sun faded, but still quite serviceable.

Most of the bags these days are garbage. Im sure I’ll be buying another Jones in the near future. I guess I could retire it after 22 years.

Great bags! Jones makes a great product- had a carry bag and still have my stand bag. Very well made!
    Ping G5 13.5 Driver
    Ping G30 5 Wood
    TEE EX-9 22 hybrid
    Callaway 26 hybrid
    Ping i25 6-S
    Cleveland RTX 58
    Nike Drone 2 Counterbalance
  • Mtngolfer1Mtngolfer1 Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,690 ✭✭
    edited Aug 4, 2018 #31
    I believe the best quality and value in a golf bag is the Ping Hoofer. I have owned the Jones Utility bag and it is one of the highest quality bags at a fair price, however I believe the opening size and simplistic design limit it a bit as an everyday bag. My son was out Oregon on a golf outing and had intended on going to Jones to get a bag, however he came back with a Shapland brad bag that he bought on one of the courses he played while there. The Shapland is a beautiful very well made bag based on a Ping design and made of high quality materials, however the price tag reflects the quality of the materials used as well. The Vessel bags are also very high quality well designed bags, but also reflected in the pricing. For the money I believe the Hoofer is hard to beat in quality and design I have a Hoofer I bought in the 90's that could still be carried today, so they last.