Stop holding off and release

I can play pretty decent golf and I can play awful. Hey that's golf. I have issues actually releasing the club. I hold it off so bad all the time and can't figure out how to consistently release it.

Anyone else had success fixing this?

Comments

• WanLeftyWanLefty Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    Stop worrying about the release and start concentrating on what's going wrong before that. Took me too long to realise this myself...
  • Trail arm extension through the ball.
    "Every battle is won before it's ever fought." -Sun Tzu
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,594 ✭✭
    This is my number one problem. No release, holding it off. It kills a follow through. It kills getting a good turn in the down swing.

I fixed it for the most part about 6 weeks ago. Allowing the arms to extend and rolling the right forearm over. Not sure if that is what is really happening but I finally get a good turn on the down swing, I get a great natural follow through and I gained yards. I get a balanced finish on the left leg. No more dead stop follow through, no more finishing low left.

I play by feel and have no idea about positions. I have always been told I don't follow through and my swing stopped as though I was punching the ball. This new feel may not be whats happening but it has improved my game, a lot over the past 6 weeks.
  • ucmike11ucmike11 Members Posts: 224 ✭✭
    Mike Malaska's split grip drill and his L to L helped me alot.

• TiemcoTiemco Members Posts: 621 ClubWRX
    Hammer and nail drill/visualization.
    Titleist 913 D3 9.5 Diamana S+ 62 stiff
    Titleist 915 F 3 wood, Diamana S+60 stiff
    Mizuno F-60 5 wood
    Mizuno MP-33 w/S300 stiff +1/2 by me
    Titleist SM5 52 degree, F grind
    Mizuno MP-T4 58 degrees
    Cleveland Classic #1 putter
    Titleist Pro V1 and V1x depending on what I find.
  • BearinthewoodsBearinthewoods ClubWRX Posts: 181 ClubWRX

I can play pretty decent golf and I can play awful. Hey that's golf. I have issues actually releasing the club. I hold it off so bad all the time and can't figure out how to consistently release it.

Anyone else had success fixing this?

I use to do this big time when I was using equipment that just didn't fit me- particularly butt soft shafts.

I read the release: golfs moment of truth by Jim Hardy- won't bore you with the details but finding which release synced up with my swing gave me a better understanding of what should be happening in my swing. There's not enough time in the down swing to really consciously do a lot- and thats not what I want happening anyways. The drills for each release helped further make it "second nature".
    Driver; Ping G400 8.5* LST, Oban Devotion 65 06
    Fairway: Titleist 910 FD 15* Aldila Rip 80x
    Irons: Miura CB 57 Project X6.5 5-PW, Titleist TMB 4 & 3 w/ UST Recoil 125X Protos
    Wedges: Miura K grind 52*, 56*, 60* & Ping 2.0 Glide stealth wedges
    Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee 6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file