Ready for an Iron Upgrade from Starter Set of Clubs

ztaubsauceztaubsauce Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
Hello All,

I played golf on and off when I was younger, but I really started playing seriously over the past year. A little over a year ago I purchased the Callaway Strata golf set and have slowly been upgrading / replacing clubs as needed with good finds from my local stores demo bin. Over the past few months when playing 18 I've gone from shooting consistently in the 100s to the 90s to now high 80s or low 90s. My goal is to shoot consistently in the 80s and hopefully dabble into the 70s at some point. I'm 5'10, 160 lbs, and my swing speed is in the 80s / 90s, which I'm working on getting up so at the moment I'm using a regular shaft.

Currently my set up is the following:

TaylorMade (2017) M2 Driver

Ping G30 3H

Strata 4H - 5H

Strata 6I - SW (7I missing, see below)

Titleist 7I AP1 (due to Strata 7I shaft snapping during a regular swing recently)

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60*

TaylorMade Spider ARC Red Putter

I'm very happy with all the club upgrades I've made so far (driver, 3H, 60*, putter), but I think it's time to start looking into a set of irons to help take me to the next level. As you can see above my 7 iron basically exploded on a normal approach shot a few weeks ago image/stink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stink:' /> .

Looking to see if anyone has any recommendations or direction into a second set of irons. Likely looking for a solid used or demo set, and as far as budget goes, obviously looking for the best deal as possible, but not really any budget restrictions.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best,

Zach
Tagged:

Comments

• NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭
    Zach that good shooting. Really your best bet is to go to a shop with an large assortment of clubs. You will find a lot of opinions out here.

Here is mine: Titleist AP1s. But Ping G400 or 700s are good options as well for GI irons. Looking for more of a players club , I’m sure others will chime in.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,281 ✭✭
    Lots of good sets of used G400’s around now; you won’t find many of the 700’s at this point. Lots of people would argue the 400’s are a better iron, anyway.

Check Callawaypreowned.com if you’re interested in any of the older Callaways.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X - Copper / Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭
    Really surprised more people didn’t jump in on this.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • Titleist+2Titleist+2 Members Posts: 162 ✭✭
    sent you a PM my man
    WITB pending
  • VA_AstraVA_Astra ClubWRX Posts: 1,852 ✭✭
    Lots of used options available on BST.

For new, Id check out Hogan. IMO, dont buy into the SGI giant shovels. Get some clubs with some feel to them and learn to hit closer to the sweet spot.
    PXG 0811x HZRDUS HC T1100
    PXG 0841 3w HZRDUS HC Yellow
    PXG 0311 XF 3iron RIP Alpha Hybrid
    PXG 0311 4-6 PX LZ
    PXG 0311t 7-PW PX LZ
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58
    Mannkrafted WAVE
    Taylormade TP5/x
  • ztaubsauceztaubsauce Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Thanks guys for all the input!
  • JustmuckitJustmuckit Members Posts: 1,420 ✭✭
    Zach, if you're currently shooting in the 80's/90's and truly want to get better, I'd recommend getting properly fitted at a place like Club Champion or Cool Clubs if possible.

If that's not possible, I highly recommend a set of Srixon 545's.