Fortnite and Rickie Fowler

Comments

• tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,116 ✭✭

What do you know? The Fortnite thread in the junior section is a Hot Topic.

Pleasure Park, Lazy Links, and the Viking place (don't know if it has a name) are really cool. My kid wants a golf skin and a Driver for a pick axe.
    lazy links is awesome.....golf carts with side pipes that you can drift? I wish that was real life
  • Belmont148Belmont148 Members Posts: 1,487 ✭✭
    I called it 4 weeks ago to my kid that they need to have a skin of a Scottish bad-a** in a kilt that looks like Liam Neeson. With a golf bag for a back bling and a driver for a pick axe. And look what they go and do to the map. Golf skins will be here shortly.
    Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
    F8+ 4W- HZRDUS Black 75 Stiff
    Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
    Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
    Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • Palmetto GolferPalmetto Golfer Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    edited Jul 21, 2018 #64
    I am a little late to the party but Tigermom's sanctimonious post has triggered me!! We set limits in my house. You can do anything too much...even practice golf.

Tigermom said if only he didn't play video games he could reach his potential.... If only Ninja wasn't playing video games, he could have done something with his life. I applaud Ninja's parents because I don't think I would have reacted very well if my son he wanted to play video games for a living.

https://www.cnbc.com...e-fortnite.html ...btw....I have read his monthly income is actually closer to $1 million a month.

Tiger Woods was (probably still is) a big video game player. He played Call of Duty all the time. If only he hadn't played video games, he could have been a good golfer!!!
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 215 ✭✭
    edited Jul 21, 2018 #65

I am a little late to the party but Tigermom's sanctimonious post has triggered me!! We set limits in my house. You can do anything too much...even practice golf.

Tigermom said if only he didn't play video games he could reach his potential.... If only Ninja wasn't playing video games, he could have done something with his life. I applaud Ninja's parents because I don't think I would have reacted very well if my son he wanted to play video games for a living.

[url="https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/tyler-ninja-blevins-explains-how-he-makes-more-than-500000-a-month-playing-video-game-fortnite.html"]https://www.cnbc.com...e-fortnite.html[/url] ...btw....I have read his monthly income is actually closer to $1 million a month.

Tiger Woods was (probably still is) a big video game player. He played Call of Duty all the time. If only he hadn't played video games, he could have been a good golfer!!!

Actually I said imagine if he only had one game console instead of three - i.e. more closer to moderation

He said he was addicted - i.e. opposite of moderation

How much did Tiger waste time playing video games during his formative years growing up?
    a tiger woods skin coming?
  • Belmont148Belmont148 Members Posts: 1,487 ✭✭
    So my son really wanted to make the Jr League All Stars this year. So about a week or two ago he decided to get back serious and had me book a lesson with his PGAJL coach. After that first lesson I saw a major transformation in his attitude, excitement, and most of all his swing. He worked everyday on it, and had another group lesson yesterday and hit better than I had ever seen him. This afternoon he went out and shot his lowest round ever. Beating his previous best by 4 strokes. Can't tell you how proud I am of him, and to see him turn around so much.

Still plays Fortnite everyday by the way, and watched The Open today before our tee time cheering for Tiger. The best part is I got every shot of his stellar round today on our new Gopro. Can't wait to edit the shots and enjoy that keepsake.
    Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
    F8+ 4W- HZRDUS Black 75 Stiff
    Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
    Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
    Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    Fortnite is a big part of kids' social lives right now, especially with summer break.

It's a free game, allowing everyone to play. I wish there were free games like that readily available when I was younger; I always had to wait when they went on sale, and by that time, the new thing was in.

I'm not surprised kids would choose to play instead of watching Golf Channel; it's a lot of fun.

I was a solid junior golfer, but still dabbled in video games.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,055 ✭✭
    TigerMom wrote:

Only sad because that is what the parents allow them to do. That is a lack of parenting. I know my kid is outside at least 4 hours playing golf everyday. Probably another hour playing basketball in the driveway or riding his bike. Usually stay in mid-day because it is so flipping hot. The late afternoons it rains and storms.
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 215 ✭✭

TigerMom wrote:

Only sad because that is what the parents allow them to do. That is a lack of parenting. I know my kid is outside at least 4 hours playing golf everyday. Probably another hour playing basketball in the driveway or riding his bike. Usually stay in mid-day because it is so flipping hot. The late afternoons it rains and storms.

Yes but it seems like there are many videogame (and Fortnight) apologists on this forum

It is obviously addictive

Dangerous to dabble in things that can cause addictions IMVHO
    edited Jul 23, 2018 #72
    TigerMom wrote:

TigerMom wrote:

Yes but it seems like there are many videogame (and Fortnight) apologists on this forum

Anything can be addictive. Nothing wrong with moderation.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

TigerMom wrote:

TigerMom wrote:

not everyone has an addictive personality either....if you don't like video games, that's fine for you....if the kid golfs over 4 hrs a day, is he addicted to golf? that's ok I guess?
    not if you are practicing 4 hours....
    tsecor wrote:

TigerMom wrote:

TigerMom wrote:

not everyone has an addictive personality either....if you don't like video games, that's fine for you....if the kid golfs over 4 hrs a day, is he addicted to golf? that's ok I guess?

My kid has been addicted to Golf, Fishing, Basketball, and Fortnite. Notice I didn't say any other video game. He is addicted to Fortnite because it is social for him. He doesn't text, he doesn't talk on the phone, he doesn't surf the web, he has never played any other video game. He played Rory, Madden, WWF, and COD but for a very short time. He golfs and plays Fortnite. Fortnite will eventually go away.
    my nephew just attended a fortnite party....its taken over the world....
  • ChipwichChipwich Members Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Just watched my kid play squads in Fortnite. His teammates were getting mad at him because he kept hitting golf balls through windows and towers instead of killing people! Hysterical!
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,821 ✭✭
    Son played in a tourney on Sat and said one of of the players in his foursome starts talking about fortnite after the first green. The kid goes on to shoot one over and my kid tanks bcuz he couldn’t stop talking about it. Strategy or not, fortnite is ruining my kids focus. Hahahaha
  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 277 ✭✭
    4rheel wrote:

Son played in a tourney on Sat and said one of of the players in his foursome starts talking about fortnite after the first green. The kid goes on to shoot one over and my kid tanks bcuz he couldn’t stop talking about it. Strategy or not, fortnite is ruining my kids focus. Hahahaha

That kid’s gonna make some cash later on. Straight hustler.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 866 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

BertGA wrote:

4rheel wrote:

Son played in a tourney on Sat and said one of of the players in his foursome starts talking about fortnite after the first green. The kid goes on to shoot one over and my kid tanks bcuz he couldn't stop talking about it. Strategy or not, fortnite is ruining my kids focus. Hahahaha

That kid's gonna make some cash later on. Straight hustler.

Makes me wonder about the distractions our kids face in this day and age. I don't remember talking about video games during baseball games growing up. Of course all we had was an Atari 2600.

In my day, we talked about MTV's latest music video.
    im sure the pga stars like Spieth and Ricky play tons of fortnite
  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 277 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

BertGA wrote:

4rheel wrote:

Son played in a tourney on Sat and said one of of the players in his foursome starts talking about fortnite after the first green. The kid goes on to shoot one over and my kid tanks bcuz he couldn't stop talking about it. Strategy or not, fortnite is ruining my kids focus. Hahahaha

Makes me wonder about the distractions our kids face in this day and age. I don't remember talking about video games during baseball games growing up. Of course all we had was an Atari 2600.

Yeah, stories about epic Space Invaders games just don’t really hold up.
  • eebombeebomb Members Posts: 544 ✭✭
    What the **** is fortnite
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,821 ✭✭
    edited Jul 23, 2018 #84
    BertGA wrote:

leezer99 wrote:

BertGA wrote:

4rheel wrote:

Yeah, stories about epic Space Invaders games just don't really hold up.

Remember when it first came out and how addicting that game was ... Crap, just dated myself.

But we definitely didn't talk about vidz during competitive sports.

tsecor wrote:

im sure the pga stars like Spieth and Ricky play tons of fortnite

I heard old guys like Tiger do too
  • kcapkcap Members Posts: 156 ✭✭
    edited Jul 24, 2018 #85

[url="https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/tyler-ninja-blevins-explains-how-he-makes-more-than-500000-a-month-playing-video-game-fortnite.html"]https://www.cnbc.com...e-fortnite.html[/url] ...btw....I have read his monthly income is actually closer to $1 million a month.

E Gaming and streamers is such a big phenomena.

My little guy made a very telling statement yesterday; he lamented about his generation as several of his buddies want to become a professional gamer rather than professional athlete..- i get it that they will likely become neither. That said, it does beg the question that if demand and interest in 2025-30 (when several of our kids are applying for college) is in E sports and virtual sports and not traditional sports than have we all got it wrong.

What if Tiger Mom was told than in 2030 when her 7yr old was applying to a IVY college, there are more scholarships for an E-Gamer than a member of womens golf team? Would she change her view? It is possible, scholarships are a function of revenue, and imagine if a NCAA makes e-gaming a sport with streaming rights.

As I said before, we do not have Fortnite in the house but my guys has and does play other video games. I think anything in moderation is fine and golf is my son's passion hence all the time and investment.. but I do wonder if E gaming is basically the future hence all the investment has diminishing returns.
    playground coming back today
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,027 ✭✭
    kcap wrote:

https://www.cnbc.com...e-fortnite.html ...btw....I have read his monthly income is actually closer to $1 million a month.

My little guy made a very telling statement yesterday; he lamented about his generation as several of his buddies want to become a professional gamer rather than professional athlete..- i get it that they will likely become neither. That said, it does beg the question that if demand and interest in 2025-30 (when several of our kids are applying for college) is in E sports and virtual sports and not traditional sports than have we all got it wrong.

What if Tiger Mom was told than in 2030 when her 7yr old was applying to a IVY college, there are more scholarships for an E-Gamer than a member of womens golf team? Would she change her view? It is possible, scholarships are a function of revenue, and imagine if a NCAA makes e-gaming a sport with streaming rights.

As I said before, we do not have Fortnite in the house but my guys has and does play other video games. I think anything in moderation is fine and golf is my son's passion hence all the time and investment.. but I do wonder if E gaming is basically the future hence all the investment has diminishing returns.

Title IX won't let that happen. There aren't enough girls in esports to fill the ratios needed to build competitive teams. Plus, why would anyone want to use their talent at esports to get free tuition when they can make real money by not playing in the NCAA? The NCAA for all of its upside has just as much of a downside when $ comes into the picture.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

leezer99 wrote:

kcap wrote:

Title IX won't let that happen. There aren't enough girls in esports to fill the ratios needed to build competitive teams. Plus, why would anyone want to use their talent at esports to get free tuition when they can make real money by not playing in the NCAA? The NCAA for all of its upside has just as much of a downside when $ comes into the picture.

Titel IX. It has hurt sports more than it has helped.
    fortnite, all night
    CTgolf wrote:

If you can't beat 'em, get a coach/tutor

https://www.wsj.com/...dren-1533046708

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maybe they should read "Don't Should on Your Kids".