Your Golf Stereotype

1356710

Comments

  • MooJerseyMooJersey Members Posts: 443 ✭✭
    edited Jul 25, 2018 #62
    Impatient / Fast Player



    I get super annoyed when a guy has to look for his ball over 30 seconds. I'm like just drop one and let's move on.

    Also have to try not to sigh and groan as guys walk up to their ball and proceed to take 5 practice swings.



    Also on the green even if a guy is lining up, lol... if we are standing there looking at each other for 10 seconds I just walk up to my mark and play lol
    Cobra F8+ Driver - EvenFlow Blue
    TEE EX10 Beta 3W - HZRDUS Red
    Cobra F8 3H, 4H, 5H (stock Aldila Rogue)
    Titleist 718 AP2 6-PW, AMT Black
    Vokey SM7 50-12F
    Vokey SM7 56-14F
    Odyssey Works 2-Ball
  • GrAvEL_eXpReSsGrAvEL_eXpReSs Members Posts: 188 ✭✭
    This... and to top it off there looking for a rock flight. 5 practice swings and still miss hit the shot.
  • DavyCDavyC Members Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Hacker. Impatient/fast golfer (except when there is a ball I can go get). Hacker. And hacker.
  • Shifty76Shifty76 Members Posts: 347 ✭✭
    DavyC wrote:


    Hacker. Impatient/fast golfer (except when there is a ball I can go get). Hacker. And hacker.




    How's your game coming along by the way? Haven't seen any updates in your "is golf for me?" thread lately.
  • NEhomerNEhomer Members Posts: 203
    I'm known for being brutally honest.



    ...it gets me in trouble but not with quality individuals, just the giant puss_es who can't face reality.



    In my defense, I'm just as brutally honest with myself and I'm never offended by what someone says. I call them full of s*** or I take it on the chin and admit my shortcomings.
  • DavyCDavyC Members Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Shifty76 wrote:

    DavyC wrote:


    Hacker. Impatient/fast golfer (except when there is a ball I can go get). Hacker. And hacker.




    How's your game coming along by the way? Haven't seen any updates in your "is golf for me?" thread lately.




    Wasn’t sure if I should bump that thread but it’s coming along, thanks for asking. I think all the advice I got around just having fun and not trying so hard was helpful. I’m a perfectionist, high strung, and deeply analytical, so just hitting the stupid ball and having fun is sorta against my nature.
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 396 ✭✭
    NEhomer wrote:


    I'm known for being brutally honest.



    ...it gets me in trouble but not with quality individuals, just the giant puss_es who can't face reality.



    In my defense, I'm just as brutally honest with myself and I'm never offended by what someone says. I call them full of s*** or I take it on the chin and admit my shortcomings.




    We would get along! Love it when people call out others on their $#it! I need to be called on mine from time to time as well!
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • LijkaLijka BFE, MinnesotaMembers Posts: 150 ✭✭
    I'm a swing tinkerer. For whatever reason I quickly lose feeling in my swing until it feels like I'm just waving my arms at the ball so I find myself constantly chasing a new swing feeling. Combine that with struggling with sh*nks and I end up trying to redo my swing every week.
    2016 M1 w/ Tour Blue 65g
    Epic 3 Wood w/ Tour Green 75g
    915H 18* w/ hM3
    S56 3-P w/ AMT S300
    CG14 50* & 58* w/ DG Wedge
    Ping Anser 33"
  • golfinchasgolfinchas Members Posts: 88
    I'm a talker. I love to talk during the round and tell stories. I know some guys get sick of it but that's half the fun of being out there to me.
  • petey_bucketspetey_buckets BDS Members Posts: 10
    I am a decent stick who gets impatient very quickly with erratic golf, for every 10 balls my playing partner might rifle into the woods I will get out of the cart to hunt for 1 or less of those 10. This is not to be rude, but helps me to avoid any secondhand frustration, time spent in the woods on a beautiful course is bad regardless of whose ball you are searching for. I do not care what you do as long as you do not take yourself too seriously and if you suck you better suck fast. I also recommend being able to take/make good jokes to keep the mood light. Enjoyment of a few beverages of the hoppy variety is also in my deck of cards during weekend rounds, I always encourage you to do the same.
    Taylormade M1 440 Kuro Kage
    Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Ltd Edition 15.5 3w Kuro Kage
    Titleist CB (3-5) MB (6-PW) DG Tour Issue
    Titleist SM4/6 52/56
    Callaway PM Grind 60
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 (2016)
  • bodendeinbodendein Members Posts: 2
    I'm probably 3-4, in decending order.



    1. Yeah, the drunk guy. Golfing and driving the cart seems to just get me revved up to drink a shitload of beer in between shots. In addition, I usually play w/poorer players so I wait a quite a bit and...well, yeah. In addition, the kids that work in the clubhouse don't charge me for beer so I just tip the cart girl 150% and we're on the same page.



    2. Streaky guy. This MAY feed in a bit with my affinity for alcohol, but once I start rolling and the confidence (or shame) gets in my head, I typically don't break very easily. Until #1 becomes to much, it seems like.



    3. Celebration Guy: Primarily for my less experienced friends, but I've been known to knock down buddies after they hit a big putt, especially if they've been struggling. I think golfing with me can be a pretty wild experience.





    Also, this is my first post. This is a great community I've stalked for some time and I haven't been steered wrong by anything I've read....for the most part.
  • 6holesn16holesn1 Members Posts: 504 ✭✭
    My buddies and club GM call me “HRD”...human rain delay. Don’t think I’m slow. Like to grind over a putting line that’s about it.
    WITB:

    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Red 6 stiff
    TaylorMade M3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7 stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 19* (turned down 1*) Graphite Design Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85 stiff
    TaylorMade 790 4-W Aerotech SteelFiber i95 stiff
    Vokey 50*-54*-58* Aerotech SteelFiber i110 stiff
    Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 34.5 inch Pistolini
  • cjblake09cjblake09 Members Posts: 1,815 ✭✭
    I play fast. No practice swings line up and hit it. Also don't care about putting with the flag in. Don't look for balls and drop one and go. The less i have to think the better. First off last Friday in a 3 some and played in 2:30 and it was great!
  • mo_golf_joemo_golf_joe Members Posts: 222
    golfinchas wrote:


    I'm a talker. I love to talk during the round and tell stories. I know some guys get sick of it but that's half the fun of being out there to me.




    1. A little bit of this here! Have to keep the ‘human touch’ on things, even as competitiveness, winning, etc. escalate in any sport for that matter. After a round/practice I’ve still got to work and live in the community as do the other locals. (Networking, duh)



    LOL, I’ve been told I have the ‘gift of gab’ since my elementary school parent-teacher conferences days. Teacher’s finally realized I’m going to talk to everyone no matter where you move my desk. When getting paired with players I’ve never met or played with, I try to get some bio/occupation info as a way to remember them. (NW)



    Back & forth banter, shot compliments, short stories and the occasional good joke keep a round interesting. Allows me to fill that ‘in between shot’ time with something other than previous shot +/- or upcoming shot variables. I guess I can be ‘more in the moment’ for each individual shot, because of prev mentioned filler.



    If I’m sensing a playing partner is more subdued and less chatty, I’m fine doing the same. People are interesting. I’ve been surprised to find even the ‘boring regular’ types have a cool story or atleast one peculiar little detail I’d have never known w/o a convo during a round. Okay I’ll shut up.



    2. Always have been my toughest critic in general but especially in athletics. Almost to my detriment in that I won’t let a mistake out of my head sooner rather than later. Some benefits would be that I’m willing to work at improving, what I bash myself over for doing wrong. It is fun for me to know my -/- on a hole or round from a competitive view. It’s how I push myself to be better. Notice neg/neg? I recognize the good drive, putt, or approach I made. I feel it’s what I should be doing, therefore no pats on the back. But oh that miss hit from my approach on the second hole has a way of eating at me until the end of my round. I need reminding most times that past shots are exactly that. I remember seeing or hearing a quote to the likes of, “the most important shot in golf is your next shot...”. Should tattoo it on my forearm so I can read it at address! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />



    3....and probably more. Ha! But definitely those two come to mind and I’ve met many golfers that have both ‘stereotypes’ in common with me.



    Titleist 917D2 9.5
    917F2 15*
    818H 19*
    Titleist 718 CB 3 MB 4-9
    SM7 58* 52* 46*
    Nickent Omen Tour Series #3 35”
  • mo_golf_joemo_golf_joe Members Posts: 222
    bodendein wrote:


    I'm probably 3-4, in decending order.



    1. Yeah, the drunk guy. Golfing and driving the cart seems to just get me revved up to drink a shitload of beer in between shots. In addition, I usually play w/poorer players so I wait a quite a bit and...well, yeah. In addition, the kids that work in the clubhouse don't charge me for beer so I just tip the cart girl 150% and we're on the same page.



    2. Streaky guy. This MAY feed in a bit with my affinity for alcohol, but once I start rolling and the confidence (or shame) gets in my head, I typically don't break very easily. Until #1 becomes to much, it seems like.



    3. Celebration Guy: Primarily for my less experienced friends, but I've been known to knock down buddies after they hit a big putt, especially if they've been struggling. I think golfing with me can be a pretty wild experience.





    Also, this is my first post. This is a great community I've stalked for some time and I haven't been steered wrong by anything I've read....for the most part.






    Awesome bodendein, welcome to ‘poster’ side of WRX!



    (actually is the same side as the ‘reader’ side, but that’s beside the point)
    Titleist 917D2 9.5
    917F2 15*
    818H 19*
    Titleist 718 CB 3 MB 4-9
    SM7 58* 52* 46*
    Nickent Omen Tour Series #3 35”
  • Drainey15Drainey15 Members Posts: 36
    I’m a 9 hole hero



    More times than not I’ll shoot under or around par on the front 9, and throw up a 40-45 on the back. Very rarely does it all come together anymore.
  • RRHRRH Members Posts: 308 ✭✭
    I'm a fast player. But starting to play more conservative golf. I've left the driver at home the past couple rounds.



    Scores are getting lower.
  • kgeisler13kgeisler13 ClubWRX Posts: 327 ClubWRX
    For tournaments I stripe it on the range like a pro and get nervous once the round starts and try to steer the ball around.



    Also if I smash drives in the fairway I just club twirls and pick up my tee and walk to the cart
    KG
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 1,958 ✭✭
    I forgot to add that I'm also a 'tinkerer' which leads to more harm than good.



    In a slump right now, go see my pro for a lesson on Monday.



    The pro is a straight shooter and I'm a big fan: "Dude when you left here a month ago your swing never looked better and you were hitting it so solid! What happened?"



    I'm like: "Uh decided to work on an earlier wrist set and tried to work a fade into my game" (I have a pretty in-to-out draw/hook swing path)



    Pro: "Why? You buggered everything up and don't even know where to aim now!"



    So here I am a 2 capper hitting it like a 12 capper on the course because I decided to make a ball flight change on a whim LOL.



    Stupid game.



    I just need to play my game and swing my swing...
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,611 ✭✭
    Mcgeeno wrote:
    I forgot to add that I'm also a 'tinkerer' which leads to more harm than good.



    In a slump right now, go see my pro for a lesson on Monday.



    The pro is a straight shooter and I'm a big fan: "Dude when you left here a month ago your swing never looked better and you were hitting it so solid! What happened?"



    I'm like: "Uh decided to work on an earlier wrist set and tried to work a fade into my game" (I have a pretty in-to-out draw/hook swing path)



    Pro: "Why? You buggered everything up and don't even know where to aim now!"



    So here I am a 2 capper hitting it like a 12 capper on the course because I decided to make a ball flight change on a whim LOL.



    Stupid game.



    I just need to play my game and swing my swing...




    Tinker away my friend. Tinker away!



    You never know if the secret sauce is right around that corner.
  • Showtime9Showtime9 MonsterHeel Members Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Also a fellow Ball Hawk here. Even though I currently have 4 Dozen ProV1s in the closet, I still can't resist going out for 9 holes after a tournament and look in the bushes for a couple of Pro V1s to use for those late night rounds
  • tr881430tr881430 Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    Tempo equals distance. 😎
  • Gilmore-HappyGilmore-Happy Members Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2018 #84
    cjblake09 wrote:


    I play fast. No practice swings line up and hit it. Also don't care about putting with the flag in. Don't look for balls and drop one and go. The less i have to think the better. First off last Friday in a 3 some and played in 2:30 and it was great!


    I do the exact same. I'm a bit of a headcase I guess. The more I stand over a shot or look at it, the worse the result. I usually know my yardages fairly well too so I don't feel the need for 45 practice swings. My best friend I always play with is the polar opposite. He has mentioned several times, "how the **** do you just look at it and hit it?". He has a Dufner waggle but takes twice as long to hit it. Then spends an hour looking for a ball that has no chance of being found.
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 1,958 ✭✭


    I do the exact same. I'm a bit of a headcase I guess. The more I stand over a shot or look at it, the worse the result. I usually know my yardages fairly well too so I don't feel the need for 45 practice swings. My best friend I always play with is the polar opposite. He has mentioned several times, "how the **** do you just look at it and hit it?". He has a Dufner waggle but takes twice as long to hit it. Then spends an hour looking for a ball that has no chance of being found.




    I dont think thats a headcase at all buddy!



    I think the guys who take 3-4 practice swings, triple check yardages, confirm the wind direction and all that crap are scared to commit to the shot. I've seen dudes do the four corner read on a five foot putt but they dont realize they rarely start the ball on their intended line anyways.



    I do think there is a balance though, I'm a one practice swing guy, but as I'm walking up to the next shot thats when Im checking the wind/slope/flag/general yardage etc. No time wasted if you do it right.
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Hit 'em straight! Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭
    MelloYello wrote:

    Twism86 wrote:


    So, we all have our habits and way of doing things. What is your golfer stereotype?



    I'm the ball hunter.




    Oh, I hate you! Haha, j/k.



    I've golfed with folks who I swear were more excited about looking for balls than playing, lol. I'm 100% the opposite. I take a quick scan and if I don't see it, I'm dropping within about 60 seconds





    Love this question though.



    I guess I'm the eternal optimist. I go with the flow.



    ...playing partner sinks a 4-footer for a snowman... 'hey, nice putt!'



    ...playing partner shoots a 98...'yeah, but you had that sweet par save back on #7!'



    ...'so guys, do we wanna walk or ride? I'm good either way!'



    ...'oh, man, this was the worst round of my life...ya'll good for next week?'




    LOL, this is me. My buddies give me a hard time.



    I'm also the guy who hates looking for golf balls.
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,611 ✭✭
    Showtime9 wrote:
    Also a fellow Ball Hawk here. Even though I currently have 4 Dozen ProV1s in the closet, I still can't resist going out for 9 holes after a tournament and look in the bushes for a couple of Pro V1s to use for those late night rounds




    Hope your Lyme disease shots are up to date!
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,070 ClubWRX
    I think I’d really enjoy playing a round with most of you guys. A couple of you not so much.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • A.G. Pennypacker A.G. Pennypacker Members Posts: 482 ✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2018 #89
    I dress well, have nice equipment, and golf pretty well (~8cap, so I'm a hack by wrx standards). I have little patience for people who play slow and/or have a short temper (edit for clarity: I don't have a short temper; I don't like golfing with those who have a short temper). I'm out here to have fun and keep moving, if you stop me from either of those then I don't want to see you in my group again. Much prefer golfing with friends that are equal/better skill level than myself, don't often drink while playing and if I do it's not more than 3 beers in a round.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Railroading13Railroading13 NebraskaMembers Posts: 619 ✭✭
    I guess a serious player - when I play I'm totally focused on my shots and doing my best
    WITB

    Cobra King LTD 9.5 Fujikura Pro 73 X
    Cobra Bio Cell 14.5 Diamana D+ 80 X
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 18.5 Diamana Ahina 80X
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4-5 KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno MP18 SC 6-PW KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno S18 GW 52.9
    Mizuno T5 SW 56.14
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10
    Odyssey O Works 7s W/ Superstroke 50G counterweight
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    I am the ready golf guy. And, I lik to bullsh&t while I play - talk about stuff with my partners not related to our round (maybe some gear conversation). I’m probably a little like Trevino in that I BS until right up to addressing my ball, then I really focus for 20 seconds.
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
Sign In or Register to comment.