VOTE: What's the best Open Championship venue?

13

Comments

  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,059 ✭✭


    As a viewer, I'd have to go with the Old Course at St. Andrews



    As someone who attended last year's Open, and also played three open courses while out there...I can tell you which one would NEVER EVER get my vote, and that's Royal St. George's. That course didn't wow me at all...and I'm a bit biased when I factor in how poorly we were treated as guests.




    I agree, but based on a different reason. I haven't played it, but did attend the Open there in 2003 and watched ball after ball land in the middle of a fairway then carom off the **** into the rough. It just looked to me like there was way too much luck involved.
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Posts: 844 ✭✭
    I can see people picking the Old Course for many reasons. But I thought we were picking the best course to host the Open now. Just like Pine Valley and Cypress Point are great courses in The US I wouldn’t necessarily pick them as better tournament courses than say Augusta or even Pebble for the top professionals. Some of the reply’s are rating the Courses on the Doak scale which is a rating of quality of the course but not how it relates to professional tournament play.
  • Texas1Texas1 Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Love Royal Lyrham & St.Annes as I grew up in the area



    Played it a bunch of times with members and was a volunteer for the BBC



    Saw Seve win, so for me it’s home
    Titleist 915 D2 Fujikura PRO XLR8 S
    Titleist 917F2 13.5 ATTAS6 6x
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54f KBS Tour V
    Mizuno T7 50 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
  • babyfadebabyfade Posts: 537 ✭✭
    15th Club wrote:



    I like Dornoch the best, and it should be in the Rota but it's not. Muirfield is great too.




    Well, that's a wonderful idea, and the players would be totally thrilled. And the whole world (what little is left that doesn't already know it) will find out that Royal Dornoch is one of the ten best-and-most-important golf courses in the world.



    Problems: It's 6800 yards and Par 70. And probably just not equipped to deal with modern tour distances.



    But oh what a course. I think Tom Doak's (Dornoch is a Doak "Perfect 10") description is really wonderful: "The most significant feature of Dornoch's design is its greens. Most of them are sited atop good-sized natural plateaux, and all are open to the front to allow a carefully judged approach to bounce on, yet carefully conceived to receive that shot only from a particular spot in the fairway.



    For anyone who'd been there; isn't that a great, concise description?



    I'm not sure that we can or should rule out Dornoch based on location; but it would be the most remote British Open ever conducted. Inverness is an hour away.



    And as always, I think I might hate what the R&A might feel is needed in terms of alterations to the course in order to conduct an Open. I honestly have lost track of what elite-level competitions that they even do at Dornoch anymore. I think that they have some junior events there (which is a wonderful idea) but I don't think that they even use it for Open qualifying. Do they have qualifiers for the Scottish Open at Dornoch?




    I like Dornoch how it is. The Open would mean more tourists and higher prices.
  • DukeOfChinoHillsDukeOfChinoHills Orange County, CAPosts: 317 ✭✭
    I can't tell any of them apart. Maybe the 18th holes of St. Andrews and Carnoustie are easier to identify than the rest.
    "You're still away."
    917D2 - DiamanaD+ 70S
    917F2 - DiamanaD+ 80S
    818H1 - Tensei Blue 80S
    716 AP2 (4-PW) - DG300S
    Vokey 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.12K (All Grips are Winn Dri-Tac Grey)
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mid-Slant 35" w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT Tour

  • HankshankHankshank Posts: 1,517 ✭✭
    Dont know if it has been mentioned, but when they play the Dunhill linkses in the Septembers, Kingsbarns is the most exciting to watch, apart from 17 and 18 at Old Course. Will Kingsbarns be added to the Open course rotation?
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,156 ✭✭
    I voted for the Old Course, because I think that the game should be changed to fit this historic course. But I am quite interested to see Royal Portrush.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts Members Posts: 824 ✭✭
    edited Aug 2, 2018 #69
    babyfade wrote:

    15th Club wrote:



    I like Dornoch the best, and it should be in the Rota but it's not. Muirfield is great too.




    Well, that's a wonderful idea, and the players would be totally thrilled. And the whole world (what little is left that doesn't already know it) will find out that Royal Dornoch is one of the ten best-and-most-important golf courses in the world.



    Problems: It's 6800 yards and Par 70. And probably just not equipped to deal with modern tour distances.



    But oh what a course. I think Tom Doak's (Dornoch is a Doak "Perfect 10") description is really wonderful: "The most significant feature of Dornoch's design is its greens. Most of them are sited atop good-sized natural plateaux, and all are open to the front to allow a carefully judged approach to bounce on, yet carefully conceived to receive that shot only from a particular spot in the fairway.



    For anyone who'd been there; isn't that a great, concise description?



    I'm not sure that we can or should rule out Dornoch based on location; but it would be the most remote British Open ever conducted. Inverness is an hour away.



    And as always, I think I might hate what the R&A might feel is needed in terms of alterations to the course in order to conduct an Open. I honestly have lost track of what elite-level competitions that they even do at Dornoch anymore. I think that they have some junior events there (which is a wonderful idea) but I don't think that they even use it for Open qualifying. Do they have qualifiers for the Scottish Open at Dornoch?




    I like Dornoch how it is. The Open would mean more tourists and higher prices.




    Played Dornoch today, absolutely brilliant. Members as well. All in all wonderful place that IMHO doesn't need to and shouldn't change for an open.



    My caddie today told me they are making a few changes to a couple holes in the upcoming years, you never know. IF they were to do it, they wouldn't need to do much except add a couple tee boxes back where they shouldn't be and wont ever get used. haha.
  • shotmarkshotmark Posts: 840 ✭✭

    babyfade wrote:

    15th Club wrote:



    I like Dornoch the best, and it should be in the Rota but it's not. Muirfield is great too.




    Well, that's a wonderful idea, and the players would be totally thrilled. And the whole world (what little is left that doesn't already know it) will find out that Royal Dornoch is one of the ten best-and-most-important golf courses in the world.



    Problems: It's 6800 yards and Par 70. And probably just not equipped to deal with modern tour distances.



    But oh what a course. I think Tom Doak's (Dornoch is a Doak "Perfect 10") description is really wonderful: "The most significant feature of Dornoch's design is its greens. Most of them are sited atop good-sized natural plateaux, and all are open to the front to allow a carefully judged approach to bounce on, yet carefully conceived to receive that shot only from a particular spot in the fairway.



    For anyone who'd been there; isn't that a great, concise description?



    I'm not sure that we can or should rule out Dornoch based on location; but it would be the most remote British Open ever conducted. Inverness is an hour away.



    And as always, I think I might hate what the R&A might feel is needed in terms of alterations to the course in order to conduct an Open. I honestly have lost track of what elite-level competitions that they even do at Dornoch anymore. I think that they have some junior events there (which is a wonderful idea) but I don't think that they even use it for Open qualifying. Do they have qualifiers for the Scottish Open at Dornoch?




    I like Dornoch how it is. The Open would mean more tourists and higher prices.




    Played Dornoch today, absolutely brilliant. Members as well. All in all wonderful place that IMHO doesn't need to and shouldn't change for an open.



    My caddie today told me they are making a few changes to a couple holes in the upcoming years, you never know. IF they were to do it, they wouldn't need to do much except add a couple tee boxes back where they shouldn't be and wont ever get used. haha.




    I had the honour of playing Dornoch earlier this year. The only thing stopping it from being an open venue is its isolated location. Fantastic course.
  • fowlerscousinfowlerscousin Members Posts: 791 ✭✭
    Lytham
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    Lytham.



    St. Andrew’s is historic, but is the most overrated course ever.
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

    KaBoom Baby!
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Posts: 1,397 ✭✭
    Having played all but two of them...and many of them I have played a few times....



    1 or 2. The redesigned Ailsa course at Turnberry. I stayed at Turnberry, was skeptical going in, and only one thing ticked me off about the "Trumpness" - the dinner menu at 1906 was meh...but everything else surprisingly top notch and Trumpness minimized. Back to the course. Amazing redesign. Obviously the R&A had a lot of influence with their people. I really cannot think of a bad hole on that course and from the back tees it is all the challenge you can want without it being gimmicky. Even the 1 or 2 holes that by themselves seem nothing special, just straight away with a couple of bunkers are perfectly placed as a welcome relief after getting beat up the two or three previous holes. Ailsa was already good and the thought it needed a redesign was surprising, and now you play it and think they just made a jewel go to another level.



    1 or 2. Troon. Totally different look and feel than Turnberry, much more of a challenge than Old Course, and some challenging sightlines. When the wind gets going it is a nasty course, really a test of all your shots. The irony is that in terms of strategy, Troon is pretty straight forward, but it is target golf, and while you know where to hit it, execution is another matter. Birdie chances are rare, it's really down to pin positions because of any course, truly here, middle of green is key. And to really drive home how weather is such a big factor at the Open - look at Mickelson and Stenson duel in '16. Ten birdies for Stenson is amazing at that course and I don't care if it was less than usual tough weather...it was an awesome display of golf.



    3 or 4. St. Andrews. Is there any other course in the world so influenced by its pedigree? I love the start there going out through the par 5 and love the finish starting with the par 5 14th. But the middle holes...ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz. You can have just a blah round there and then all of the sudden as you get past **** bunker at 14 you start to pay more attention to the clubhouse and town, and it really gets you amped as you near the road hole. 17th approach to 18 finish is super cool, but it is not really that kind of experience the entire course except maybe the first time. That virginal experience at the old course is certainly unmatched with the possible exception of Augusta (but that's a totally different situation).



    3 or 4. Royal St. Georges. It's an underrated course. It's unfortunate some of you had a bad experience there. I can totally see why; it is an unusual place compare to the others. If there's one course you better pay close attention to the website and how they want your tee time arranged, and what to expect, this is it. I can see it being a bit intimidating or off-putting on arrival, but it's nowhere near as bad as the "coots" at Muirfield. I have only had great experiences at RSG and I like the course. Maybe it was the fact the last two Opens played there I watched pretty closely on TV, so being there I can recall many of the holes and shots that were the demise of pros (DJ going OB on easy (for him) short par 5 just as he was starting to pressure Clarke...and Bjorn imploding on the 16th when the Open was in his grasp). I even showed up over an hour late to a tee time at RSG (had a "rookie" with me that didn't understand trains), that could be disaster at another club, but I called, was very apologetic, tipped the caddies extra, and was treated very nice. Go there "quiet and humble" and you will enjoy the old clubhouse, the pro is nice, caddies cool...it's not a big place, it's far from the show at something like Turnberry. Keep expectations of the off the golf course experience low, and just enjoy a great course.
  • Blade JunkieBlade Junkie ClubWRX Posts: 2,210 ClubWRX


    It's a pitty royal St David's can't handle the infrastructure as that's the best links course in the land for me...had seniors open but I'd love to see the world's best at Harlech




    The front nine is "ok" but the back nine is quite incredible.
    "Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty"

    Harry Vardon (1870-1937)
  • pattgpattg Posts: 181
    edited Aug 11, 2018 #75
    I’ve played them all except St George’s and Portrush and all are fantastic but imho Carnoustie is the best course.



    St Andrews is the best for The Open atmosphere but the worst viewing course on the rota.



    Turnberry is the most scenic.



    Royal Birkdale is also very attractive as on some holes you feel very secluded. Probably the least links like with an inland feel on some holes.



    Muirfield is the one I’ve played most but I find it too inhibiting off the tee. The rough is brutal if you are driving badly so take a stack of balls.



    Anyone visiting should be thankful these courses are available to play. I don’t fancy my chances of playing all the historic US Open course on a visit.
  • esp13esp13 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭
    the old course for sure
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,469 ✭✭
    edited Aug 19, 2018 #77
    CasualLie wrote:


    Having played all but two of them...and many of them I have played a few times....



    1 or 2. The redesigned Ailsa course at Turnberry. I stayed at Turnberry, was skeptical going in, and only one thing ticked me off about the "Trumpness" - the dinner menu at 1906 was meh...but everything else surprisingly top notch and Trumpness minimized. Back to the course. Amazing redesign. Obviously the R&A had a lot of influence with their people. I really cannot think of a bad hole on that course and from the back tees it is all the challenge you can want without it being gimmicky. Even the 1 or 2 holes that by themselves seem nothing special, just straight away with a couple of bunkers are perfectly placed as a welcome relief after getting beat up the two or three previous holes. Ailsa was already good and the thought it needed a redesign was surprising, and now you play it and think they just made a jewel go to another level.



    1 or 2. Troon. Totally different look and feel than Turnberry, much more of a challenge than Old Course, and some challenging sightlines. When the wind gets going it is a nasty course, really a test of all your shots. The irony is that in terms of strategy, Troon is pretty straight forward, but it is target golf, and while you know where to hit it, execution is another matter. Birdie chances are rare, it's really down to pin positions because of any course, truly here, middle of green is key. And to really drive home how weather is such a big factor at the Open - look at Mickelson and Stenson duel in '16. Ten birdies for Stenson is amazing at that course and I don't care if it was less than usual tough weather...it was an awesome display of golf.



    3 or 4. St. Andrews. Is there any other course in the world so influenced by its pedigree? I love the start there going out through the par 5 and love the finish starting with the par 5 14th. But the middle holes...ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz. You can have just a blah round there and then all of the sudden as you get past **** bunker at 14 you start to pay more attention to the clubhouse and town, and it really gets you amped as you near the road hole. 17th approach to 18 finish is super cool, but it is not really that kind of experience the entire course except maybe the first time. That virginal experience at the old course is certainly unmatched with the possible exception of Augusta (but that's a totally different situation).



    3 or 4. Royal St. Georges. It's an underrated course. It's unfortunate some of you had a bad experience there. I can totally see why; it is an unusual place compare to the others. If there's one course you better pay close attention to the website and how they want your tee time arranged, and what to expect, this is it. I can see it being a bit intimidating or off-putting on arrival, but it's nowhere near as bad as the "coots" at Muirfield. I have only had great experiences at RSG and I like the course. Maybe it was the fact the last two Opens played there I watched pretty closely on TV, so being there I can recall many of the holes and shots that were the demise of pros (DJ going OB on easy (for him) short par 5 just as he was starting to pressure Clarke...and Bjorn imploding on the 16th when the Open was in his grasp). I even showed up over an hour late to a tee time at RSG (had a "rookie" with me that didn't understand trains), that could be disaster at another club, but I called, was very apologetic, tipped the caddies extra, and was treated very nice. Go there "quiet and humble" and you will enjoy the old clubhouse, the pro is nice, caddies cool...it's not a big place, it's far from the show at something like Turnberry. Keep expectations of the off the golf course experience low, and just enjoy a great course.




    if anyone could expand on that, i'd greatly appreciate it ... i'd like to go over to england before meeting my crew in scotland next summer, and St. Georges is on the list (Sunningdale, Cinque Ports, Porthcawl, Birkdale & L/A - possibly Enodoc, though doubtful) ... wouldn't want to ignore protocol in obtaining/requesting a tee time ...
  • The history of the Old Course is just insurmountable in this "competition". However, I have enjoyed watching at carnasty every time they've had it there, and the course has been in wildly different conditions each time.
  • philly2kukphilly2kuk Posts: 622 ✭✭
    Having been privileged enough to go to University there and play those golf courses for 5 years, St Andrews is an awesome course to play, full of history. However, I've always felt it was overrated as it isn't particularly hard with double fairways, double greens and multiple drivable par 4s. I always found the neighbouring Jubilee course far harder and the New course more interesting to play. Plus it's a nightmare to watch golf on as it's quite flat. Sadly, as much as I love St Andrews (the town and the golf course) it's just not my favourite to watch the Open at.



    So for me, I voted Birkdale. I went last year and the design of the course means it's very easy to watch the golf and it produced an interesting final round in particular. I've also played Royal Lytham and it's a tough course despite being relatively short. Carnasty is a great course to watch golf on and I also love Turnberry but for me Birkdale was the best from the opens I've been to.
    Taylormade M3 with Evenflow Blue
    Mizuno MX700 18° with NVS
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
    Ping G25 4-UW
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 54° (satin) and 60° (black)
    Scotty Cameron 2014 Fastback
    Taylormade TP5

    Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.
  • Dano golfDano golf Posts: 142 ✭✭
    Bethpage Black
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 8,954 ✭✭
    edited Sep 4, 2018 #81
    tiderider wrote:


    if anyone could expand on that, i'd greatly appreciate it ... i'd like to go over to england before meeting my crew in scotland next summer, and St. Georges is on the list (Sunningdale, Cinque Ports, Porthcawl, Birkdale & L/A - possibly Enodoc, though doubtful) ... wouldn't want to ignore protocol in obtaining/requesting a tee time ...




    I know we're going OT here, but wanted to address your question.

    TBH, IDK what anyone is on about in regards to RSG. Everyone was lovely and it was easier getting tee times sorted there than other places. For example, this email exchange took 70mins to conclude while at work one morning:


    duffer987 wrote:


    Good morning,



    I wanted to ask about booking a 2 round day on Monday April 16th for myself.

    I see online there is a 9:40 time available, plus a number of options after 14:00.



    Is there a requirement to leave a certain amount of time between the two times?

    And should I book through yourself via email/ringing up or does online booking accommodate the two.



    Thanks for your time and I look forward to the chance to tee it up at Royal St. Georges,





    Hello duffer987,

    Yes, 36 holes are possible for this date.



    I can start you from the 10th if you would prefer. It opens earlier than the 1st tee and there are tees available between 08.10 - 09.10.



    If you took a 09.00 or 09.10 tee from the 10th, then allowing 4 hours for a round, teeing off from the 1st at 14.20 would work well for you, allowing around an hour for some lunch.



    What do you think?



    Please have a look at our website www.royalstgeorges.com . You will be able to see the available times and once you decide, please ring me. You cannot book 36 holes online.



    I will need to take full payment at the time of booking and this can be done via M/Card or Visa.



    Look forward to hearing from you.



    Kind Regards,

    RSG Person



    duffer987 wrote:


    Thanks for the quick reply RSG person!

    As long as I get to play it the right way round at least once, that wouldn't be a problem.So how about that 8:30 off the 10th (which I assume has me rounding the 1st during one of those 10:00-10:30ish times) and the 14:20 off the 1st.

    It might make for a bit of a long lunch, but I could always loiter with intent around the practice green in case a member is looking for a match or something :-)



    I cannot ring in until this afternoon, so if providing my details via email is grand, here they are.



    My CC is:



    Thanks for your time,





    Hello



    I have made your reservation and debited £250 from the card details you have provided.



    Please look out for an invoice from Intelligent Golf, possible to your ‘junk’ mail.



    Let me know if you need anything further ie. accommodation nearby, caddie, breakfast...



    Kind Regards,




    When I showed up, the pro and the caddie master were great. They ended up starting me on the 1st for both rounds - as the caddie master said, well you want to see if the right way round. We were first out and zipped around, so much so I went back out well in advance of my scheduled time - after having an early lunch/late breakfast - which put me out ahead of a group of 16.
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,469 ✭✭
    thanks ...
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,539 ✭✭
    pattg wrote:


    I've played them all except St George's and Portrush and all are fantastic but imho Carnoustie is the best course.



    St Andrews is the best for The Open atmosphere but the worst viewing course on the rota.



    Turnberry is the most scenic.



    Royal Birkdale is also very attractive as on some holes you feel very secluded. Probably the least links like with an inland feel on some holes.



    Muirfield is the one I've played most but I find it too inhibiting off the tee. The rough is brutal if you are driving badly so take a stack of balls.



    Anyone visiting should be thankful these courses are available to play. I don't fancy my chances of playing all the historic US Open course on a visit.




    Played Birkdale two Summers ago, was not impressed (I also played pretty bad so that might be a factor). Enjoyed the test at RSG, loved Carnoustie and Portrush.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,059 ✭✭
    Old Head. Too bad they will never play there.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 8,954 ✭✭


    Old Head. Too bad they will never play there.


    Ah yes the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland.

    Do you have a problem with facts and geography?
  • 1a) St. Andrews and 1b) Carnoustie
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,156 ✭✭
    Dano golf wrote:


    Bethpage Black




    Yes, it's close to the UK, but then Montauk Downs is even closer.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,742 ClubWRX
    3 months after The Open was finished and one post in the last 3 weeks, does this thread really need to be pinned at the top of the Tour Talk forum?
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • bghanson7pbghanson7p Members Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I was at the Open in ‘95 and will always be completely in love with the Old Course. I am also in disagreement with some here who say that less town encroachment is better. Golf courses in Scotland are the town, and the towns connection to them makes them all the more wonderful. That being said if they played the Open at the Old Course every year no one would complain.

    I have played three of the Rota: Old Course, Turnberry and Muirfield my favorite being St. Andrews, but I would have rather played additional rounds at Nairn or Royal Dornoch (my favorite Scottish Course period) than Muirfield. A stuffy place where they (at least in the past) went out of their way to remind you you are a guest at their discretion.
    TM M5 10.5 degree, Tensei Pro Orange 60X 45""
    TM M4 Pro Fairway 15 degree, Tensei Blue 75Fw X 42.5"
    Titleist 816H2 21 degree, Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 TS
    4, 5,6,7,8,9,PW
    Titleist 716 MB, Dynamic Gold S300
    SW, LW
    Edel hand ground wedges 55, 59 degree, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Stiff
    Putter
    Biomech Acculock Ace 41"
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,742 ClubWRX
    bghanson7p wrote:


    I was at the Open in '95 and will always be completely in love with the Old Course. I am also in disagreement with some here who say that less town encroachment is better. Golf courses in Scotland are the town, and the towns connection to them makes them all the more wonderful. That being said if they played the Open at the Old Course every year no one would complain.

    I have played three of the Rota: Old Course, Turnberry and Muirfield my favorite being St. Andrews, but I would have rather played additional rounds at Nairn or Royal Dornoch (my favorite Scottish Course period) than Muirfield. A stuffy place where they (at least in the past) went out of their way to remind you you are a guest at their discretion.




    Nairn and Royal Dornoch are great venues. Dornoch gets all the publicity and I would happily play there any time but Nairn even though it is relatively high ranked is criminally underrated in my opinion. The first hole is boring (if a welcome relatively easy introduction) and the green on the 14th is awful but beyond that, is a brilliant place to play some golf. Luckily, it is only 30 minutes away from where I stay.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • Oliver KlozoffOliver Klozoff Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited Oct 29, 2018 #91
    Turnberry. I've been fortunate to play them all. Turnberry (current version) and Muirfield are by far the best designs. But the changes to Turnberry where it can now stretch to 7400+ and tees can be adjusted to fit the expected wind for the day. It's really hard but completely fair.



    BTW, I'm no Trump supporter, but the caddies and staff absolutely love what Trump did to the place. It was a dying resort and he salvaged their jobs. As a resort it still needs a lot of improvements. There's almost nothing nearby, and the food and service are pretty bad. But the course is 5 star.
    Ping G400
    TM 3HL
    TM Tour Preferred 2i
    Ping i500
    Vokey
    Ping Karsten TR
Sign In or Register to comment.