Muscle Back "Blade" Irons --- History and Future?

1235721
21

Comments

  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,190Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jul 24, 2018 #122
    BiggErn wrote:

    Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn’t bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.






    What? A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you’ll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.








    Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didn’t matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.



    It’s a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But I’m telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. I’ve tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members  2845WRX Points: 735Posts: 2,845 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #123
    BiggErn wrote:

    Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn’t bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.






    What? A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you’ll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.








    Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didn’t matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.



    It’s a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But I’m telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. I’ve tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.






    No, it’s physics. You may prefer one over the other for whatever reason but it doesn’t change what actually happens when you strike the ball. I guess this is a new one......”takes prettier divots”. So some say.
    Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9904WRX Points: 1,142Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,904 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #124




    Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didn't matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.



    It's a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But I'm telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. I've tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.




    Self-taught good player bladehunter instinctively swings according to turf interaction.

    If there are a plethora of examples of good players stating this, I happy to be corrected image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • gbartkogbartko Whooooo! Members  668WRX Points: 224Posts: 668 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Jul 24, 2018 #125

    BiggErn wrote:

    Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn't bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.






    What? A wider sole can only help it's not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you'll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.








    Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didn't matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.



    It's a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But I'm telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. I've tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.




    i feel the same way about the thin sole. something about the wide sole causes me issues off of tight lies. i really have to think hard before i swing to mitigate the issue. probably in my head but definitely something i need to consider.



    note: i am NOT a good player lol
    Posted:
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7290WRX Points: 1,355Handicap: 7Posts: 7,290 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #126
    gbartko wrote:


    BiggErn wrote:

    Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn't bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.






    What? A wider sole can only help it's not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you'll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.








    Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didn't matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.



    It's a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But I'm telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. I've tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.




    i feel the same way about the thin sole. something about the wide sole causes me issues off of tight lies. i really have to think hard before i swing to mitigate the issue. probably in my head but definitely something i need to consider.



    note: i am NOT a good player lol






    You have a shallower/flatter swing?
    Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

    Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.5"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.5"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

    Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

    Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • gbartkogbartko Whooooo! Members  668WRX Points: 224Posts: 668 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #127
    NRJyzr wrote:

    gbartko wrote:


    BiggErn wrote:

    Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn't bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.






    What? A wider sole can only help it's not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you'll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.








    Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didn't matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.



    It's a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But I'm telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. I've tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.




    i feel the same way about the thin sole. something about the wide sole causes me issues off of tight lies. i really have to think hard before i swing to mitigate the issue. probably in my head but definitely something i need to consider.



    note: i am NOT a good player lol






    You have a shallower/flatter swing?




    i would say it tends to be more flat/shallow than upright/steep. probably the bounce contributing a bit too.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members  2845WRX Points: 735Posts: 2,845 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #128
    The typical extreme example like it’s impossible take a divot with anything that has a wide sole. Absurd. I even see guys on tv take divots with hybrids and woods at times. I don’t care about seeing a beaver pelt fly after contact I just worry about where the ball is going.
    Posted:
  • buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers  1064WRX Points: 189Handicap: MentalPosts: 1,064 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Jul 24, 2018 #129
    Without going into any details, since I have none, I too prefer to take divots with thinner soled irons, regardless of where my impact is. Call it turf interaction or whatever, it just feels better. And taking a nice divot at times equates to nice compression.
    Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
    T200, 5-gw, AMT Black stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M
    Never Compromise Portofino
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7290WRX Points: 1,355Handicap: 7Posts: 7,290 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #130
    gbartko wrote:

    NRJyzr wrote:


    You have a shallower/flatter swing?




    i would say it tends to be more flat/shallow than upright/steep. probably the bounce contributing a bit too.






    In contrast, thanks to being a human T-Rex, I have something of a steeper swing, take a healthy divot. Sometimes excessive divots, LOL. The wider soles don't bother me, nor does healthy bounce on an iron. I don't necessarily play them, but that's another story. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

    Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.5"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.5"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

    Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

    Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf Members  3552WRX Points: 349Handicap: 4Posts: 3,552 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #131
    Its like a preshot routine. It doesn't "matter" because you hit the ball after the preshot routine (duh), but most good players have one to some degree. The downswing is so fast that the difference between a ground ball snap hook and a gorgeous stinger draw is probably a degree and a half of AoA and an inch better aim. With the margins of this game take all the help you can get IMO, whether its "real" or not.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 9* driver and 17* hybrid TFC-419 stiff
    Bridgestone j40 dpc 3-LW x100
    Fitted Edel
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16674WRX Points: 944Handicap: Low-Mid SDPosts: 16,674 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jul 24, 2018 #132


    Wuuuut???^^^^. I leave the equipment forums in you guys hands and comeback and the 790 and Tmb are now " blades". ? Lol. 790 are like 8 inches heel to toe.




    Agree. I have 716 T-MB 2 iron. It appears blade-like, but it's hollow. As are TM 790's, only they are filled with foam. IMO both are made to appeal to certain types of people but for different reasons. As we know, MB/butterknives are made from solid blocks of steel. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />
    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1



  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16674WRX Points: 944Handicap: Low-Mid SDPosts: 16,674 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jul 24, 2018 #133
    duffer987 wrote:



    Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didn't matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.



    It's a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But I'm telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. I've tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.




    Self-taught good player bladehunter instinctively swings according to turf interaction.

    If there are a plethora of examples of good players stating this, I happy to be corrected image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />




    A plethora? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I am self-taught and comfortable with wide or narrow sole irons, but prefer thin sole with sharp leading edge and flat/minimal camber, as I tend to be a sweeper vs. digger. Unfortunately, contemporary Irons are producing more full soles for those that dig to China and need forgiveness.



    My TM Rsi TP irons collect dust because of too much offset and a wide-soles with a blunt leading edge. Thought I could adapt, but after a year I still paid particular attention over the ball to overcome effects of offset. At the beginning of the year, I bought 716CB's, problems solved. Course I always bring out my older MacGregor butterknives with really narrow and flat soles with sharp leading edges to remind myself there's still a difference. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />
    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1



  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,190Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #134
    Look guys. I’m not advocating for the cease and deacist order on wide soles.

    I just said that If a modern iron came out with a good sole that cuts I know of many players who’d look at tech instead of staying with a smaller iron.



    Feel isn’t always real. But if real doesn’t feel right what is the point ? Which begs the question of whether real matters at all ? Or if feel is king ?



    I haven’t researched this subject. But I have to ask. Is this true universally ?



    And I’m not sure why the “ instinctively “ comment is being chastised. Do you not swing different clubs differently ? Most better players will auto adjust no matter what you put in their hands. Within a few swings. That is a known fact. Sometimes to the swings detriment. Reason why most pros don’t have a period of time for trying things. They make up 4-5 examples to try , a few swings and they choose one , or discard them all. If turf interaction didn’t matter then. Why so many wedge grinds ? Why so many lie angle adjustments ? It matters. No matter the order of the ball leaving the clubface and impact of the ground.
    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,190Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #135
    duffer987 wrote:





    Absolutely untrue in my opinion. If it didn't matter why are wide soles made ? A good player swings instinctively according to turf interaction. Give me a wide sole with blunt leadingedhe and I come in steep to compress the ball. Give me one that cuts nice even divots and I come in shallow and take a long even shallow divot.



    It's a chicken or egg argument. You say chicken I say egg. Both correct in a way. But I'm telling you it subconsciously makes a huge difference. I've tried every iron you can name. And every time I come back to a thin sole. I stand by my opinion that they could sell more new tech ironsif the turf interaction was better.




    Self-taught good player bladehunter instinctively swings according to turf interaction.

    If there are a plethora of examples of good players stating this, I happy to be corrected image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />




    You really have it in For me today ? Eh?



    I apologize for whatever I’ve done. Don’t mind disagreeing. But I’ve not intended to make an enemy with any of my comments today. So I hope it isn’t the case.
    Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members  2845WRX Points: 735Posts: 2,845 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #136
    Look guys. I’m not advocating for the cease and deacist order on wide soles.

    I just said that If a modern iron came out with a good sole that cuts I know of many players who’d look at tech instead of staying with a smaller iron.



    Feel isn’t always real. But if real doesn’t feel right what is the point ? Which begs the question of whether real matters at all ? Or if feel is king ?



    I haven’t researched this subject. But I have to ask. Is this true universally ?



    And I’m not sure why the “ instinctively “ comment is being chastised. Do you not swing different clubs differently ? Most better players will auto adjust no matter what you put in their hands. Within a few swings. That is a known fact. Sometimes to the swings detriment. Reason why most pros don’t have a period of time for trying things. They make up 4-5 examples to try , a few swings and they choose one , or discard them all. If turf interaction didn’t matter then. Why so many wedge grinds ? Why so many lie angle adjustments ? It matters. No matter the order of the ball leaving the clubface and impact of the ground.






    You listed a couple reasons that have as much to do with anatomy and agronomy as much as anything else. I can’t stand the term “turf interaction” as it so irrelevant and nothing more than a preference. Like choosing a satin finish or a black finish. I also think it’s ridiculous that a certain club makes someone “focus” more. That is just absurd. Golf is hard and I doubt any semi serious golfer is taking any shot for granted regardless of the club. While there are some clubs I wouldn’t play on looks alone I don’t play clubs simply based on looks either. I’m more result oriented and can play ALMOST anything if it works. Wide soles do not hurt good ball strikers they only add a bit of forgiveness for slightly mishit shots. Cavity backs do not hurt good ball strikers they only help those that miss the center of the face on occasion.
    Posted:
  • lenman73lenman73 Members  842WRX Points: 186Posts: 842 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #137
    What did I learn from this thread ?



    1. Other peoples experiences are wrong.



    2. Who the authority of absurd is.



    3. How a club interacts with the ground is irrelevant. Because it's a preference.



    4. The bigger the club is, the better it is. Always. Period.



    5. It is impossible for people to shoot the same scores with different kinds of irons because some dude on the internet said we can't. Even though we did, do and will again. We are wrong.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members  2845WRX Points: 735Posts: 2,845 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #138
    lenman73 wrote:
    What did I learn from this thread ?



    1. Other peoples experiences are wrong.



    2. Who the authority of absurd is.



    3. How a club interacts with the ground is irrelevant. Because it's a preference.



    4. The bigger the club is, the better it is. Always. Period.



    5. It is impossible for people to shoot the same scores with different kinds of irons because some dude on the internet said we can't. Even though we did, do and will again. We are wrong.






    Considering you made up a good bit of your list you shouldn’t have had to learn it. Maybe learn from that mistake image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9904WRX Points: 1,142Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,904 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #139
    lenman73 wrote:


    What did I learn from this thread ?



    1. Other peoples experiences are wrong.



    2. Who the authority of absurd is.



    3. How a club interacts with the ground is irrelevant. Because it's a preference.



    4. The bigger the club is, the better it is. Always. Period.



    5. It is impossible for people to shoot the same scores with different kinds of irons because some dude on the internet said we can't. Even though we did, do and will again. We are wrong.




    Fantastic work cliche-man!

    You absolutely did just prove who the authority of absurd is with that post. Congrats, you deserve a lie down after that.
    Posted:
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf Members  3552WRX Points: 349Handicap: 4Posts: 3,552 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #140
    lenman73 wrote:


    What did I learn from this thread ?



    1. Other peoples experiences are wrong.



    2. Who the authority of absurd is.



    3. How a club interacts with the ground is irrelevant. Because it's a preference.



    4. The bigger the club is, the better it is. Always. Period.



    5. It is impossible for people to shoot the same scores with different kinds of irons because some dude on the internet said we can't. Even though we did, do and will again. We are wrong.




    Its weird to have a list of things you know and then say you're wrong in number 5. Next time put you're wrong in number one so i don't read the whole list.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 9* driver and 17* hybrid TFC-419 stiff
    Bridgestone j40 dpc 3-LW x100
    Fitted Edel
  • lenman73lenman73 Members  842WRX Points: 186Posts: 842 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #141
    I apologize for distracting you from talking about dispersion percentages.
    Posted:
  • dog flogdog flog Members  1364WRX Points: 26Posts: 1,364 Bunkers
    Joined:  #142
    As long as I can remember, I've loved walking along the wall of irons at a golf store. It's a fantastic visual treat, real eye candy and I always love seeing the blades. I'd miss them if they stopped making them.They're like the giant chocolate bunny in the drugstore that you don't buy but seeing it is nonetheless a highlight of your Easter.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping Anser 12°
    7 wood: Srixon Z 355 22°
    4 hybrid: Cleveland Classic 23°
    5 hybrid: Srixon Z355 26°
    6 hybrid: Cobra Fly-Z XL 28°
    Irons: Callaway X2Hot 7-A
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX cavity 52° 58°
    Putter: Ping Ketsch Cadence Heavy
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,190Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #143
    chisag wrote:



    And I'm not sure why the " instinctively " comment is being chastised. Do you not swing different clubs differently ? Most better players will auto adjust no matter what you put in their hands. Within a few swings. That is a known fact. Sometimes to the swings detriment. Reason why most pros don't have a period of time for trying things. They make up 4-5 examples to try , a few swings and they choose one , or discard them all. If turf interaction didn't matter then. Why so many wedge grinds ? Why so many lie angle adjustments ? It matters. No matter the order of the ball leaving the clubface and impact of the ground.




    ... I have alway enjoy your posts, even though we often disagree. Of corse in a perfect world the leading edge and grind matters. He!! in an imperfect world the leading edge and grind matters! But it is only a small part of the equation for some, while others may find it of paramount importance. I use myself as just one example. I am interested in shooting the lowest score every time I play. I finally made it to a 1.5+ index and I want to get to a 2+. If I make that, I will want to get to 3+. I will, within reason of course, use the clubs that best help me achieve that goal. (I am not gonna play Cleveland VAS irons even if they get me to a 4+) I was not in the market for distance players irons as I was happy with my Cobra Forged Tours. I did not really care for the looks of the P790's from the little tungsten bling bar to the multi tiered cavity, yet they looked really good at address. So on a Demo Day I hit them and was blown away by how long, how forgiving and how consistent they were. I hit them a few more times into nets and finally pulled the trigger. I can honestly say I have never been happier with a set if irons and I have played way too many to count. The one thing I do not care for is how the go thru the ground. But that is a small price to pay for their performance. I have no doubt at all that they got me from a 0 index to a + index, and I am sure you know going from 0 to a 1.5+ is a difficult road.



    ... I have been lusting after some Honma 737Vs irons for several years now, but it would be a luxury buy as the P790's are firmly entrenched in my bag. Threw out a bid on Ebay and won a set for much less than I ever could have imagined. I have played them my last 5 rounds and the difference in feel and how easily the cut thru the ground is just sublime. They really are a joy to play. That said, I absolutely do not swing them any differently than my P790's that grudgingly get thru the turf battering out a very reluctant divot. And yet, the ball just doesn't care. The bottom line is I hit high, longer and straighter shots with the P790's and my slight misses are better than the Honma's. Do I wish the P790's had the same sole and leading edge as the Honma's? Of course I do, but that is not their focus and they appeal to a much wider range of golfers than the 737's.



    ... Like everything else in golf, you just have to make the trade offs that work best for you. Where so many get into trouble is thinking their way is the right way and sometimes the only way. For the 1,236,846th time. Play whatever makes you happy.




    Absolutely agree.



    And that’s all I was saying. That I’d prefer they made a modern tech iron with a sole that I preferred. Afterall , if it doesn’t matter , then why not make one with a sharp leading edge ? Lol



    I thought I was pretty well on topic unless I misunderstood the OP.
    Posted:
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Members  956WRX Points: 328Handicap: 8Posts: 956 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #144
    Personally I think the future of MBs is absolutely fine, pretty much all the big OEMs have released new models in the last 12 months or have launches planned, and the ever popular combo set means they will be developed for a while yet.
    Posted:
    The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five


  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers  1699WRX Points: 400Posts: 1,699 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #145
    bodhi555 wrote:


    Personally I think the future of MBs is absolutely fine, pretty much all the big OEMs have released new models in the last 12 months or have launches planned, and the ever popular combo set means they will be developed for a while yet.




    Cobra - Combo set - RH & LH

    Titleist - 718MB - RH & LH

    Callaway - Apex MB - RH & LH

    Muira - MB001 - RH & LH

    Taylormade - P730 - RH

    Mizuno - MP18 - RH



    ...and to think there's 4 offerings in LH. It's like a niche market inside a niche market. And yet there's no reason for these clubs to even exist because a CB can do everything an MB can do while providing more distance and forgiveness on off centre hits. I mean who doesn't want to save 1 to 3 strokes a round. Me personally, my course has 14 lakes right in front of the greens and CB's just gives me that confidence to, you know....go for the green...LOL :-)



    "So what are gonna to do here Dave?"



    "What do you think I'm gonna do. I'm going for it"



    "You're going for the green?"



    "Yup"



    "But Dave, you're 168 out and there's a giant lake right in front of the green. What if you don't hit the centre of the club face?"



    "It's ok man, I have my new i500's with spring face and strong loft technology so I have nothing to worry about it. Plus you only live once my friend...you only live once....now hand me my PW and stand back"
    Posted:

    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

    • TS2
    • 716 MB 5-PW
    • MG 52 SB-09 | 56 LB-09 | 60 LB-09
    • Select Newport 2
    • ProV1x
  • Titleist-GolferTitleist-Golfer I'd rather be driving a Titleist Northern CaliforniaMembers  3094WRX Points: 125Posts: 3,094 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #146
    TM P790s are NOT blades, neither are Titleist TMBs.



    Regardless, a blunted (or killed) leading edge with rounded sole is absolutely required for my swing. First set I saw that really did this well was a set of Maruman Conductor forged blades in owned around 2003. Otherwise, I dig to China with huge divots and distance suffers (as does the course). That's what I love about the 680s, 690.MB and some others, but I agree when i saw the TM730, their leading edge was just too sharp to consider for my swing.
    Posted:
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Go Navy!

    WITB
    Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
    Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
    Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
    Titleist 714MB 3-PW DG S300
    Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
    Titleist ProV1 2018[/font]
  • gbartkogbartko Whooooo! Members  668WRX Points: 224Posts: 668 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Jul 25, 2018 #147

    bodhi555 wrote:


    Personally I think the future of MBs is absolutely fine, pretty much all the big OEMs have released new models in the last 12 months or have launches planned, and the ever popular combo set means they will be developed for a while yet.




    Cobra - Combo set - RH & LH

    Titleist - 718MB - RH & LH

    Callaway - Apex MB - RH & LH

    Muira - MB001 - RH & LH

    Taylormade - P730 - RH

    Mizuno - MP18 - RH



    ...and to think there's 4 offerings in LH. It's like a niche market inside a niche market. And yet there's no reason for these clubs to even exist because a CB can do everything an MB can do while providing more distance and forgiveness on off centre hits. I mean who doesn't want to save 1 to 3 strokes a round. Me personally, my course has 14 lakes right in front of the greens and CB's just gives me that confidence to, you know....go for the green...LOL :-)



    "So what are gonna to do here Dave?"



    "What do you think I'm gonna do. I'm going for it"



    "You're going for the green?"



    "Yup"



    "But Dave, you're 168 out and there's a giant lake right in front of the green. What if you don't hit the centre of the club face?"



    "It's ok man, I have my new i500's with spring face and strong loft technology so I have nothing to worry about it. Plus you only live once my friend...you only live once....now hand me my PW and stand back"




    I don’t know man... but if im worried about hitting it in the water from 168 from a decent lie ain’t no way I’m playing blades ;-)



    I assume the implication here is that an off center hit with a blade stops short? How deep is this theoretical lake?



    In all seriousness don’t answer that question- I’m just messing around :-)
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • OcRockRollerOcRockRoller Humble Donkey FloridaMembers  230WRX Points: 87Posts: 230 Fairways
    Joined:  edited Jul 25, 2018 #148
    Shoutout to Pines for being a real one



    No one is right, no one is wrong and in the end all of this is wasted time and adds up to nothing



    Who gives a sh**



    Put a ball on the peg and have a hit, instead of typing about



    Posted:
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members  2656WRX Points: 523Handicap: 11Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #149
    I play cavity backed irons in my G400s. I also have a set of i3+ "Blades" which are also cavity backs with a smaller head.....def NOT blades. I do so for forgiveness and fit, but there is, IMO, NOTHING prettier than a chrome plated MB!
    Posted:
    • Tommy Armor Atomic 10.5*
    • Adams Speedline 5w
    • Callaway BB 7h
    • Snake Eyes 600C 8- SW*
    • Odyssey VLine
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Members  2099WRX Points: 389Posts: 2,099 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #150


    TM P790s are NOT blades, neither are Titleist TMBs.



    Regardless, a blunted (or killed) leading edge with rounded sole is absolutely required for my swing. First set I saw that really did this well was a set of Maruman Conductor forged blades in owned around 2003. Otherwise, I dig to China with huge divots and distance suffers (as does the course). That's what I love about the 680s, 690.MB and some others, but I agree when i saw the TM730, their leading edge was just too sharp to consider for my swing.




    I have an old set of Macgregor JNP's laying around with blunt leading edge, pretty sure my Hogan Edge and Channelbacks were same. It's not a new thing by any stretch.



    I did love the 680.MBs.



    No matter, blades will be boutique. Essentially they are now.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Members  1495WRX Points: 287Handicap: 7Posts: 1,495 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #151
    I’m very close to purchasing the Mizuno MP 18 MB, it’s just so precise, responsive feeling and consistent performance wise. I like the clean and timeless look as well.



    What I have learned from literally hitting alll the latest and greatest irons in the last month was that I didn’t need all of the new technology features; it actually worked against me.
    Posted:
    Epic SZ 11* Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    Callaway Apex 18mb (2-PW)
    RTX-4 54* and 60*
    Odyssey RX9 Putter
21
This discussion has been closed.