Forgiving/ Forged/ Minimal looking JDM Irons

Hi, everyone. I'm looking for some recommendation for a set of JDM irons. I'm kind of beginner player with 20+ handicap. Of course, forgiving and game improvement is what I should be looking for. But also aesthetic and minimal looking is equally important. Also I want to buy a set of iron that I don't need to upgrade in a few years. So I'm thinking about a set of Miura PP9003 SN. Is it too hard to hit for 20+ handicap? if yes, what are the other options? Srixon Z565, Z765? I was serious thinking about Z565 till this review throw me off a little:

Thanks!

Comments

• Bimmer1Bimmer1 Members Posts: 2,535 ✭✭
    2013 ON/Off forged. Lots of forged Yamaha sets.
  • WpgMikeWpgMike Members Posts: 607
    On off kuros are great. I use Miura CB 1008 and found them just as forgiving as Ping i20s.
    Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
    FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
    3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
    Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
    Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0
  • JacobwxJacobwx Members Posts: 17
    WpgMike wrote:

On off kuros are great. I use Miura CB 1008 and found them just as forgiving as Ping i20s.

Thanks for the reply.

How you find the 105S shaft combine with CB1008? Is it too light? Have you ever try PP9003 NS?

Bimmer1 wrote:

2013 ON/Off forged. Lots of forged Yamaha sets.

Where you buy Onoffs? Ebay from Japan? thx
  • WpgMikeWpgMike Members Posts: 607
    edited Jul 22, 2018 #5
    Well, too light is different for everyone. I can tell you I had ping CFS shafts in my i20's and the Modus 105's feel very similar. There was no adjustment period.

As for the pairing with the CB1008, they work just fine. Shot a 79 with them yesterday.

No, never swung a passing point. In my humble opinion, forgiveness in irons is overrated. Get a forgiving driver that suits your swing and use at least 2 forgiving hybrids. And get whatever irons look good to you.

Hope that helps.
    Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
    FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
    3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
    Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
    Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0
    WpgMike wrote:

Well, too light is different for everyone. I can tell you I had ping CFS shafts in my i20's and the Modus 105's feel very similar. There was no adjustment period.

As for the pairing with the CB1008, they work just fine. Shot a 79 with them yesterday.

No, never swung a passing point. In my humble opinion, forgiveness in irons is overrated. Get a forgiving driver that suits your swing and use at least 2 forgiving hybrids. And get whatever irons look good to you.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply! "Get whatever irons look good to you." Very inspiring!
  • ian-500ian-500 Members Posts: 646 ✭✭
    OnOff Forged 2013 are awesome. Forgiving and soooooo soft. Look great too. I've read that the 2011 and 2015 models are very similar.

Yamaha Inpres X irons from 2009 to 2013 are wonderful.

Epon 501/502/503/701/702/703 should be good, but maybe a touch more offset than OnOff and Yamaha.

Nothing wrong with Srixon Z745. I game them in a combo set with the Z945.

Lots to choose from.

No problems when buying from Rakuten or Jauce websites.
    Cobra F9 9* + Tour AD IZ 7x.
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 Tour Issue + Tour AD IZ 7x.
    Callaway Rogue 19 Tour Issue + Tour AD IZ 8s.
    Adams Pro 23 Tour Issue + Tour AD UT95x
    Adams DHY Pro 27 + Irod 105x.
    Adams XTD Forged Tour Issue 6i - GW + Recoil Prototype 125F5.
    Adams XTD Forged SW/LW + KBS Hi-Rev x.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300, Garsen.
  • Bimmer1Bimmer1 Members Posts: 2,535 ✭✭
    2012 Yamaha XV Forged ranks high as one of my favorites since I didn’t mention a specific Yamaha model above. The non-tour XV Forged and newer RMX Forged (non-tour) would work well. Always wanted to try the 2013 XV Forged since it was really a departure from the typical cavity back design.
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Members Posts: 3,449 ✭✭
    Epon AF-302 is a classic. Very forgiving and look great. timeless design
    Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei PO 60 stiff shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei PW
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Rogue 2 and 4 hybrid with GD Tour AD IZ 85 stiff hybrid shaft
    TM P790 5-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Callaway Forged 56 degree wedge and PM19 62 degree wedge
    Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • BradNelson22BradNelson22 Members Posts: 78
    I’ve been tinkering with a set of Muria forged cavities here locally. Really nice.
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,644 ✭✭
    1st ... Are you looking for used Irons or new? Many of the suggestions are fantastic but you won't find most of them in better than " Good- Fair " condition.

2nd.... What threw you off on the Z565 Rick Shiels review? He's a Professional with tour caliber swing DNA and you're a 20 plus handicapper so there is next to no comparison.

I own the 2015 OnOff Kuro Irons and i'm playing to a 7 handicap at the moment so the previous comments are accurate. Endo forged Irons are my favorite

The Z565 should be able to be had at a fantastic deal since the Z585 is due out in the September time frame I think. Call Discount Dan's and see what they can do.
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,644 ✭✭
    Go Horns! wrote:

New z565s for $560 for 5-PW, and $650 for a 7 club set.

https://www.golfdisc...3842-adType^PLA

Call Discount Dan's and speak with Adam.
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,784 ✭✭
    edited Jul 27, 2018 #15
    The PP9003 are pretty but really aren't that forgiving. I found that you have to hit them consistently low on the face to hit them properly.

My vote would be the Callaway Legacy Blacks. Minimal offset, sets up like a players iron at address and plenty of forgiveness.

http://www.golfwrx.c...cy-black-irons/
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • JY VPIJY VPI Lefty Playing Righty Members Posts: 119 ✭✭
    4rheel wrote:

My vote would be the Callaway Legacy Blacks.

The Henrik Stenson special.
    Be well. Do good. Love each other.
    Tzoid wrote:

1st ... Are you looking for used Irons or new? Many of the suggestions are fantastic but you won't find most of them in better than " Good- Fair " condition.

2nd.... What threw you off on the Z565 Rick Shiels review? He's a Professional with tour caliber swing DNA and you're a 20 plus handicapper so there is next to no comparison.

I own the 2015 OnOff Kuro Irons and i'm playing to a 7 handicap at the moment so the previous comments are accurate. Endo forged Irons are my favorite

The Z565 should be able to be had at a fantastic deal since the Z585 is due out in the September time frame I think. Call Discount Dan's and see what they can do.

Thanks for your reply. I’m ok with used irons. Where I can buy a set of Onoff Kuro? If not onoff, then I’m still thinking of a set of Miura.
  • BewareTheGlowballBewareTheGlowball Members Posts: 588 ✭✭
    Might be worthwhile to check out New Level irons as well. They have the 1gram tolerances we love about most of the JDM. They are forged in Taiwan and have been a pretty good in between option for our clients. With Miura and Epon both in the 250-300 a head range, the New Level come in around 130 a head, and you can order a built set from their webstore also.
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,174 ✭✭

Might be worthwhile to check out New Level irons as well. They have the 1gram tolerances we love about most of the JDM. They are forged in Taiwan and have been a pretty good in between option for our clients. With Miura and Epon both in the 250-300 a head range, the New Level come in around 130 a head, and you can order a built set from their webstore also.

Very interesting.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    Got a set of Fourteen FH900...
  • RedproRedpro Members Posts: 949 ✭✭
    Jacobwx wrote:

Tzoid wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I'm ok with used irons. Where I can buy a set of Onoff Kuro? If not onoff, then I'm still thinking of a set of Miura.

PM sent
  • ArpeggiArpeggi Members Posts: 3,686
    Epon AF-705
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
    Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
    Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Scotty Cameron 009[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Taylormade TP5x[/font]