Which new computer to buy?

Sisu

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to buy a new computer and would like to hear any recommendations you all have.

We really just use it to surf the net and for email, so don't need all the bells and whistles.

Thanks,

Craig

Just buy a dell, they're stable and have good support.

They're not perfect, but then again, no company is, but they're as trust worthy as you can get and usually have some good prices.

Here's one if you're just looking to check e-mail, surf the web, etc...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/p...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

One word for you--Apple iMac. You won't need anything else and once you go down this path you'll never go back. Check it out and you'll be amazed at the size and low prices on these bad boys! And say goodbye to the blue screen of death and viruses because they don't happen on the Macs. Besides Mac OS X is a better version of Windows anyways (where do you think Bill Gates got his idea?!).

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

I would say MAC. Easier to use and more stable. For the price, you can't beat dell. Check out the prices under home and small business. Sometimes they have better deals for small business owners. If you go that route, use you SS# for the tax id and your name as the business name. They do not question it.

If you are not planning on doing anything other than internet and basic apps, don't spend a ton of money. Dell even has a clearance section with returns, business leases, etc. you can get a very high end computer for little money. If you think you might play games or video editing, spend the money on a higher model.

I'm going to have to echo the Mac sentiments. Extremely stable, infinitely more secure, and mucho fast browsing makes Apple a clear-cut favorite.

beruo

I used to use a Mac years ago, before work related requirements required me to switch to a Windows based platform.

I remember how stable it was, especially in comparison to some earler version of Windows. I am curious why the Mac OS is more secure than the Windows OS? I have heard others say that as well, but never really an explanation. Appreciate any insight.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

I'm going to have to echo the Mac sentiments. Extremely stable, infinitely more secure, and mucho fast browsing makes Apple a clear-cut favorite.

beruo

I used to use a Mac years ago, before work related requirements required me to switch to a Windows based platform.

I remember how stable it was, especially in comparison to some earler version of Windows. I am curious why the Mac OS is more secure than the Windows OS? I have heard others say that as well, but never really an explanation. Appreciate any insight.

Mostly its just numbers. The PC outnumbers MACS by a longshot so guess where most people aim their malicious code? Not to mention the fact that MS advertises their security holes. Duh!

Lap top- Any of the Toshiba Satellites are great

Desktop- I recommend HP. Don't go Apple, I know from a very good source that there is a virus comming out soon that will absolutely destroy the Mac operating system.

If you have any knowledge of any viruses coming out for either Windows or OSX system then why aren't you reporting it? Or are you just making it up to get some attention?

I have both platforms and they both have their pros and cons. For email use or browsing only, I like using Apple. If using some other apps, PC w/XP system are a good ones but make sure you have a good virus, spyware and etc programs up and running properly.

If I had to buy a Windows laptop or desktop, I probably will go for mid-level Dell. If buying Apple, I'd go for iMac or iBook.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

In respone to all attacks on me,

I heard this from a very good source. I am not 100% sure of it legibility however. Until I am 100% sure of it I will not report it because that would just be stupid if it turned out false. PM me and i can go into little more specific details on my source if absolutely neccesary.

Oh, also mjtoal, if what you said about mac being safer is true then wouldn't you think hackers would try that much harder to get in?

No, they wouldn't try harder because it makes no real sense in terms of "shock effect." Hackers wouldn't waste their time trying to disable the minority of computers when they can have profound effects on Windows users.

Mac OS X is built on a Unix platform, making it a very stable system. I only recently switched and I have no complaints and have access to MS Office so I never see a loss of capabilities between work (Windows) and home.

I would most definitely look at an iMac because of its design and the tons of features you're going to get with it (built-in webcam, iLife). If you want to go lower end and you already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor you can always get the macMini, which is an unreal computer smaller than a shoebox. And there are plenty of books that will help you transition. My wife refused to use Apple (her dad worked for IBM for 30 years) until she started having problems as her computer got older. She's had an iBook now for about a month and can't see herself going back and she had no problems making the jump.

Artisan Golf 0418

Oh, also mjtoal, if what you said about mac being safer is true then wouldn't you think hackers would try that much harder to get in?

No, they wouldn't try harder because it makes no real sense in terms of "shock effect." Hackers wouldn't waste their time trying to disable the minority of computers when they can have profound effects on Windows users.

Mac OS X is built on a Unix platform, making it a very stable system. I only recently switched and I have no complaints and have access to MS Office so I never see a loss of capabilities between work (Windows) and home.

I would most definitely look at an iMac because of its design and the tons of features you're going to get with it (built-in webcam, iLife). If you want to go lower end and you already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor you can always get the macMini, which is an unreal computer smaller than a shoebox. And there are plenty of books that will help you transition. My wife refused to use Apple (her dad worked for IBM for 30 years) until she started having problems as her computer got older. She's had an iBook now for about a month and can't see herself going back and she had no problems making the jump.

Have you ever considered that they may be trying to make those people who are switching over become just as succeptible?

Consider how many businesses rely on Windows for their operations--easily in the 95% range if not more. In the Air Force everything is Windows unless you do some kind of graphics work, which then you use a Mac. And none of those Macs are allowed to be on the network. Remember that viruses aren't necessarily about Susie Homemaker, but money and that's going to be big business. Besides, if you want to feel safe you can get McAfee or Norton for Apple.

Artisan Golf 0418

if you are going to get a computer for gaming then go with an amd athelon64 processor. right now AMD is the best processor you can buy... hands down. I currently use 3700+ at work. I've been using windows for the past 15 years and i've never had any major issues with lost data or the os crashing. as long as you have a good anti-virus, adaware SE, spybot S&D and a firewall set up in your router you should be ok. if you want to be extra safe make the account you use a limited account with no admin priv's.

it sounds intimidating, but it's not as hard as it sounds.

Macs are just as vonerable to virus and hacks as well.... especially with the new IE6 using the Firefox/netscape engine, even mac users will not be immuned to pop ups and embedded virus. its only a matter time.

if you want a really safe, secure and trusty OS use Linux as your os... lol

I agree with the other guys. I am an I.T. professional and Dell are one of the most trouble free, stable systems on the market. My wee bro just got one this xmas and it's fab. Go for one of their desktops. Make sure you get a Pentium 4. I know Celerons are a lot cheaper but the extra money for the P4 is definately worth it when it comes to multiple programs and especially internet applications.

Also get 512mb Ram.

Got to www.dell.com/tv for their advertised offers.

For discount codes on all techie stuff, I go to Deal Svengali.

I didn't have much luck w/my last Dell laptop and returned it. I read on a forum somewhere that Gateway would not only match but BEAT any Dell offer.

So I simply opened up a chat window on Gateway.com and negotiated w/the rep. They beat Dell's price by like $225 or something around there.

Hence, I'm typing this on a beautiful 17" widescreen Gateway laptop.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I am going to say go with a MAC, hands down. There have been rumors before about virusus that were going to kill the Mac operating system, infact there was a big worry when the first OSX came out. Macs are much more user freindly, and are less prone to virusus compared to the Windows operating system. If you are just going to use your machine for basic stuff, such as Word Processing, Internet, and E-mail, you will be just fine with any of the lower line iMacs that Apple has produced, infact some are designed for families just like yourself.

If you are not looking to spend over a grand, I would strongly sugest looking into a Mac Mini: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...ni&mco=45974843 - relatively cheap for a 40GB hard drive, and plus 1.25 GHz is not slow by any means, quite fast if you do not have a lot of software or loads of High Quality photographs. You will need to buy a monitor, which if you do not want to buy a Mac monitor, you have endless options here, there is no problem picking up a flat screen monitor for less than $200.

Hope that helped!

- Bryan

Macs are just as vonerable to virus and hacks as well.... especially with the new IE6 using the Firefox/netscape engine, even mac users will not be immuned to pop ups and embedded virus. its only a matter time.

What does IE6 have to do with it? I use Safari so how does that factor into it. And I don't get any pop-ups using either Safari or Firefox. You'll have to explain this one to me.

Artisan Golf 0418

The reason IE7 looks like Safari and Firefox is because they ripped off the features like an embedded search window and tabbed browsing. Don't think that because they look the same that it's using the same architecture.

Artisan Golf 0418