2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Who's Keeping a ProV1(x) in the bag?

ColinMB

Tired of testing... LDP/NOB/B330s
So I have come to realize that in my due diligence of trying to be honest and find a good/great ball for this season, that I have come full circle.

There are a lot of 'I like ball 'X' instead of ProV....' posts. It's funny but I guess I'm guilty of it too. The fact is, it's still the ball that all others are trying to match up against.

I'm not a great golfer, but when I'm out there I like to get the best experience I can get out of my game. That being said, I put up the LDP balls (great balls when I finally got them) the B330s, Nike ONE Black, and HX Tour against the ProV1x.

To this day I think my longest moments off the tee have come off of a ProV1x. And driver forgiveness is still there. Sure the LDP might forgive a little more, but when you come into a tight green and get great spin from a ProV1x, it just seals the deal for me.

Some people think that unless you're reliably hitting driver over 100MPH, then this isn't the best ball for you, but I disagree from the scoring aspect of the game. The short game spin is so darn good considering the driver forgiveness.... IMHO this makes up for a loss of 5-10 yards on a slower swinger's drive distance.

I will say it is not the most durable ball, but we're talking flat out performance here. I don't lose enough balls that it's going to break me. Besides, the price of the ProV1x has come down to match the other manufacturer's premium balls (in Canada at least).

So I thought it was time to just bite the bullet and say to heck with it, I'll be sticking to the ProV1x for the season at least. I'm wondering how many of you have come to the same conclusion? Your mileage may vary between brands, and that's fair, but it's still one heck of a ball.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I tested side by side the Prov1x, B-330, and Tour ix, 3 different times. In all those times tested the Prov1x is the winner then B-330 then Tour ix, all pretty close. The Prov1x was 5-15 farther off the tee for me, irons they all pretty much went the same(the B-330 was a yard longer of longer irons) short irons same but feel and spin of prov1x was better, chipping around the green prov1x was the best great spin and control. Putting easily went to the Prov1x... I went out and bought 12 boxes of the Prov1x after this test was complete, I love the Prov1x!!!!

i am not leaving the prov1x any time soon. i have tried. i pulled a pristine B330s from the range the other day and played a few holes with it. close...but still not "it".

Callaway rep gave me some of the tour ix.....not bad. IMO, they still aren't as durable as the Titleist ProV's.

Honestly.....I have so much confidence with my ball that I don't want to switch. I don't swing the stick 100 mph but the ball performs for me. Would it perform better if I had a faster ss? Maybe.....but I am not going to have a faster ss so I couldn't care less.

I've bounced around quite a bit this season and always seem to come back to the trusty ProV1. It's just so consistent with distance and spin. I know what it's going to do at all times. This probably has more to do with my consistent use of the ball for quite some time now, and I'm sure I could pick up the tendencies of other balls if I gave them the time, but I don't see the need. I love my ProV's!

... I went out and bought 12 boxes of the Prov1x after this test was complete, I love the Prov1x!!!!

I know you love them, but $600 worth of balls? How many do you lose/wear out in a round? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I actually want to get an idea of how long they last. Given that I mainly play on an executive course I can generally keep a ball in play for a few rounds unless my spin milleds chew them up or I lose them in the water.

I'll definitely have to give them a try sometime soon given how much I hear about them time after time, but the most I've spent on a dozen balls so far is $35 and I'd kinda like to keep it that way. Yes, I'm a little cheap, but given that I'm only a 14 HC right now I don't know how much the extra $15/dozen is going to help my game.

My last round I decided to buy a sleeve of the new Callaway ix. Titleist Pro V1x has always been my ball. The ix was shorter, less accurate and felt slightly harder, I did have a good round with the putter. Next round I was thinking, what ball will I try next Nike, NXT or another Callaway? Nope, ProV1x all the way. I will not make that mistake again.

Kevin

HULL17RW

In my opinion, the Pro V1 is a much better ball than the Pro V1x. At least for my game anyway. I am not a high spin player with my irons so the Pro V1 is a great ball for me. The Pro V1x just doesn't feel as good and is not worth the extra 5 or yards I get with it off the tee. You can't beat the Pro V1 feel off the putter or when chipping.

I tried the TaylorMade TP Black (LDP) and I was shocked at how good that ball is. It is as long as the Pro V1x off the tee and offers more spin off my irons than the Pro V1. The cover durability seems to be a little better than the Pro V series as well. The feel of the ball falls between the Pro V1 and Pro V1x with it being closer to the Pro V1.

Factor in the price difference and I am more than happy to play the TaylorMade TP Black (LDP) over any ball out there.

Scott

I know you love them, but $600 worth of balls? How many do you lose/wear out in a round?

Who cares? Better yet, why should you care? Why question his ball budget? There are a lot of people out that spend that much on balls. I know lots of players from 25 HC to scratch that won't play anything but a Pro V1 or Pro V1x.

Do you challenge people that drive expensive cars too?

Scott

My screen name... idrive is short for idrivatitleist. I have used that screen name on many different forums for years. I shortened it about a year a go for simplistic reasons.

I have played a Titleist for the last 20 years.

This year, for the first time, I started playing with all the new balls for comparison sake. I have played at least 36 holes with all of them (premium balls) and I mean all of them.

All things considered...

The Titleist ProV1 or 1X is just simply the best ball.

I know you love them, but $600 worth of balls? How many do you lose/wear out in a round?

Who cares? Better yet, why should you care? Why question his ball budget? There are a lot of people out that spend that much on balls. I know lots of players from 25 HC to scratch that won't play anything but a Pro V1 or Pro V1x.

Do you challenge people that drive expensive cars too?

Scott

I explained why I asked in my post. What's your beef and what does this have to do with cars?

Baconator,

If all you want to know is how long Pro V1x balls last, why mention the cost???????

Anyway, I don't find the Pro V1 line to be all that durable. I end up using two during a round unless I lose one. Even a hard shot with a 9 iron can remove some paint. If you have wedges that have big deep sharp grooves, you will tear the cover. But that's life with a urethane cover ball....

Scott

I go through 3 or 4 balls a round as I am typically hitting a lot of full swing shots with my Cleveland wedges, there is NO premium ball that makes it through more than one or two of those w/o going to the shag bag. I am a 2-4 hcp. with very high swing speed numbers and very high spin and launch... I can play just about any premium ball w/o any effect on my scoring, there are a lot of good choices out there.

Lately, I find the LDP Red to be equal to the V1x and at least $.50 a ball cheaper... I can afford to play anything (shoot I spend more on gasoline to get to the course now), but I am sick of Titleist pricing policy for their premium balls... I still go back and forth between them and play LDP black or V1 when on a course with hard greens where I want more spin... but come on, If TM and others can put out a ball with equal performance at less than $40 a doz... Why does Titleist demand $46 a box? Ans... Brand Loyalty... not because the ball is any better.

The big advantage that the Nike black and platinum have over the pro vi/vix is the distance dispersion off the irons....

the difference between longest and shortest balls when hit with the same club

ex 50 8 irons hit with the pro vi/vix...dispersion distance 9yards

same with the nike balck/platinum........4 yards

as such distance control is better

if that matters to you...great if not....fine.....

dont ask where the data came from because I wont tell you....I hvae no axe to grind here just relaying official data.

By the way...the provi/vix is slightly longer off the tee.

... I went out and bought 12 boxes of the Prov1x after this test was complete, I love the Prov1x!!!!

I know you love them, but $600 worth of balls? How many do you lose/wear out in a round? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I actually want to get an idea of how long they last. Given that I mainly play on an executive course I can generally keep a ball in play for a few rounds unless my spin milleds chew them up or I lose them in the water.

I'll definitely have to give them a try sometime soon given how much I hear about them time after time, but the most I've spent on a dozen balls so far is $35 and I'd kinda like to keep it that way. Yes, I'm a little cheap, but given that I'm only a 14 HC right now I don't know how much the extra $15/dozen is going to help my game.

On average I use 1-2 balls per round...

I have been playing the V1x for a couple of years now. I find the Pro V1 kind of unexciting off my driver and occasionally get more spin than I prefer.

I've tested a number of other premium (and non-premium) balls but end up coming back to the V1x because I can't find any that I like better and (believe it or not) for me they are cheaper! There is a place down the road that sells used golf balls. They have boxes of used balls of various brands and conditioning. You can go through them and handpick the ones you want. The V1/V1x's go for $18-$24/dozen (depending on conditioning). They always have a good selection of V1/V1x'es. Other premium balls may or may not be available.

dave

ps. I have never noticed a performance difference between those used balls and new ones. That doesn't mean, however, that there isn't one.

I agree with the general theme on this thread and after many years of spring time searching for a match or better than the Pro-V1X I've ended up giving the remainder of the dozen to one of my sons and gone back and bought a couple boxes of Pro V1X's. This spring I tried the Gamer and wanted it to work, just for a ball to have to trade off with when the X wasn't playing his best. No luck after about 6 holes of frustration with the spin, I pulled out the X and finished off the round.

I bought myself a dozen of the TP Red LDP's for my birthday and played about 12-13 holes with it last week. The swing was working and the performance of the ball was fantastic. Granted it was only a test period of 13 holes at the most but it really got my attention in all areas. I don't know if it will replace the X, but it's going to get more gamer time until something fails. Could be on to something here. Anyone else with more game time with the TP Red LDP have any experiences???

I like all of above have tested all the big names out there, for me the most crucial part of selecting a ball is simply how I putt with it, I can live with anything else but I need the ball to feel soft off the putter with no click, for this reason the Pro V1 range are the balls for me. I do like the Taylormade Red especially in windier conditions but as soon as I get to the greens I wish I had a Titleist

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

I too have been trying different balls. Nike Platinum and black, B330, ix and so on. I guess golf is a game of comfort, trying to find something that distills confidence in you. Weather it has an X there or not, a Pro V1 makes me feel comfortable and confident because i know i've got a really high quality ball thats been proven for years.

But thats just me...

Titleist 909D3 w/ Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Titleist 906F2 w/ Diamana Bluebored 83x
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW w/ KBS C-Taper x-flex
Scratch Tour Department 52*
Cleveland Reg. 588 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

The big advantage that the Nike black and platinum have over the pro vi/vix is the distance dispersion off the irons....

the difference between longest and shortest balls when hit with the same club

ex 50 8 irons hit with the pro vi/vix...dispersion distance 9yards

same with the nike balck/platinum........4 yards

as such distance control is better

if that matters to you...great if not....fine.....

dont ask where the data came from because I wont tell you....I hvae no axe to grind here just relaying official data.

By the way...the provi/vix is slightly longer off the tee.

It's not official data unless it is verified. Otherwise it is just a statistic that someone provided which is useless. As my stats teacher told us, "Anyone can input data to prove whatever point they want."

I agree with the general theme on this thread and after many years of spring time searching for a match or better than the Pro-V1X I've ended up giving the remainder of the dozen to one of my sons and gone back and bought a couple boxes of Pro V1X's. This spring I tried the Gamer and wanted it to work, just for a ball to have to trade off with when the X wasn't playing his best. No luck after about 6 holes of frustration with the spin, I pulled out the X and finished off the round.

I bought myself a dozen of the TP Red LDP's for my birthday and played about 12-13 holes with it last week. The swing was working and the performance of the ball was fantastic. Granted it was only a test period of 13 holes at the most but it really got my attention in all areas. I don't know if it will replace the X, but it's going to get more gamer time until something fails. Could be on to something here. Anyone else with more game time with the TP Red LDP have any experiences???

I posted this in another thread, but thought it fit here too. I didn't mention putting with the Red but I must admit I love it!! It feels better than the V1x and almost exactly like the V1 to me, and I have always thought the V1 was the Holly Grail around the greens!

Here is my take after spending a lot of time testing these balls head to head.

The 08 TP Red is ball unlike anything on the market right now. That doesn't automatically make it the best, it just makes it different. However, if it fits your game as well as it fits mine then I would have to say it is the best ball, you know what I mean?

I played the V1x for the past few years, mainly cause Titleist said it was the "low spin" ball of the two (you may notice they don't really market it that way anymore, now that say its the "longer ball"). However, I always found the V1x to have a bit too much spin on full short iron shots for me, always felt a bit hard but was always longest off the tee. It is the "#1 ball in golf", so it must be best for me, therefore I never looked elsewhere.

At the end of last season the pro at my club handed me a sleeve of the the TM Red LDP prototype ball and explained it was a true "low spin" ball. I tried it and really liked it and was really looking forward to putting it to the test this year.

After putting it head to head against my trusty V1x and V1, ix and 08 NOB, it was obvious the new TP Red was the ball for me! Here is the simple list of why its my new ball when compared against the V1x:

1. It spins less on full short iron shots (I spin the ball a lot, but struggle to control it, this ball handled that for me)

2. It is as long if not a touch longer of the tee

3. It is much softer, maybe as soft as the V1

4. I can control it with long irons just the same

5. Simply does not balloon in the wind or when I chase it hard for extra distance

Compared to the others the ix was the next closet ball, but it just feels like a rock off of every club to me. Against the NOB I feel the Red is softer, longer and spins less, which again for me low spin is good.

Finally on a closing note, for me TM has created a complete golfball "system." Meaning the Red and the Black play similar enough that I can interchange them based on course or season conditions. The Red is my "always ball" but the Black is a bit longer, higher and has a little more spin (close to the V1x in my opinion). Therefore on hard greens if I need more spin I can go Black, or in scrambles if I want a high launch long bomb the Black works there too.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

That's funny, because my results are almost entirely opposite of yours except for #1.

It took me quite a few round to figure this out because all things are not equal in the short duration. Nonetheless, it's a different strokes for different folks kind of thing. The LDP Red certainly is a pretty good ball.

I decided the start this thread because there already a truck load of threads about " I found Ball 'X' is better than a ProV1x" or what not. So I thought it was a good idea to start one for people like myself who have come full circle and are sticking with the ProvV1x.