Skycaddie SX500

Comments

• TM_HOYERTM_HOYER Members Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I decided to give two cup holders mounts a try to see which works best. One with a magnet and the other with the traditional mount. Fry's has a sale on one for 9.99 that Amazon want 23.92 for. As it is, I need to get used to a cup mount for when I move and have my own cart. So I might as well start now. I tried the Xsport TekGrip again last night and I think the holder is broken. The right grip keeps releasing one tooth at a time as it bounces, until it cannot grip any more.
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 driver w/ Tensei AX 65 Regular
    Callaway Epic 3+ wood w/ Fujikura Pro 72 Green Regular
    Callaway Epic 5 & 7wood w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
    Callaway Apex 19 5 - AW irons w/ Project X Catalyst 60 Regular
    Callaway MD4 56 & 60 w/ Project X LZ 5.5
    Toulon Design Atlanta
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly! Members Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    dchorman wrote:

I use the Scosche Magic Mount for our iPhone 8+ in both our SUV's and have been using same mount with the Touch the last year or so. I tried it with the new SX500 and works perfectly for me. I just put the suction mount on the cart lower windshield near the cart frame to restrict a lot of movement and stuck the metal plate on rear of SX500. The magnets are really strong and have tested 3 rounds with no problems whatsoever. I can easily pull off and walk it to tee boxes or cart path only fairways then stick right back on the magnet. It may not be for everyone, but works for me and not expensive at all.

https://www.amazon.c...gic mount&psc=1
    You might have my attention with that one. I haven't seen one of those before but if it really works and eliminates the need to mess with clamping mechanisms to secure and remove the unit I'm in.

Guess I need to amend my earlier statement that I saw no need to look any further!

Thanks!
  • Mr. BigglesMr. Biggles Members Posts: 180
    snagy2000 wrote:

Aug 3 here and nothing!

I made contact today about my 8/13 order and got a response apologizing for delay and was told they are currently working on 8/3 orders......take it with a grain of salt and don't get too excited
  • snagy2000snagy2000 Members Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 22, 2018 #125

snagy2000 wrote:

Aug 3 here and nothing!

I made contact today about my 8/13 order and got a response apologizing for delay and was told they are currently working on 8/3 orders......take it with a grain of salt and don't get too excited

Waiting patiently...
  • 78Staff78Staff Members Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a ship notice today for my 8/2 order...
    917D3 9.5* Fuji Pro TS 74
    917F3 15*  Fuji Pro TS 84
    816H1 19* Evenflow Black 85
    AP2 4-W NS Pro Modus3 130
    TVD 56M S200
    Cameron Fastback 2
  • tad950tad950 Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭
    I received the SX500 on Monday. And I've played 2 rounds with it. First off, this thing is massive. Although it doesn't pick up the satellite signal any faster than past models, the processor is definitely faster. There is no delay when moving the cursor around the screen. The controls react quickly. Battery life seems very good. Our early morning rounds are usually 3 to 3 1/2 hours. The power meter registers about 85 percent remaining when I plug it it to charge it. The only glitch that I have noticed so far is, when I mark my tee shots, and read it in the course, The synced distances are 20 yards off on SkyGolf 360. For example if I read 220 yards on the course, it will show up as 200 on my round summary. I contacted SkyCaddie about it, and they are investigating.

I've had several SkyCaddies in the past, and this seems to be a good one (so far). Unlike others, I never had any issues with the Touch, aside from the small screen size. And I still keep an SG5 in my car, in case I forget my other gps device. The SG5 has always been bulletproof for me. Replaceable battery, and never any problems with it. I hope SkyCaddie continues to support it.

Gary
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had the Touch for some time now, and practically every model before that since the initial SG1.

The drawbacks of the Touch are 1) no pinch to zoom, i.e. fixed zoom using +/1, 2) limited battery life (2 four hour rounds are pushing it even with the backlight at 25%), and 3) having to tap and hold to position the cursor in the fairway (should be a simple tap like the IntelliGreen view).

Otherwise it's been solid. 'Not sure I want something quite as big as the SX500, but the larger screen and battery would be nice.
  • TM_HOYERTM_HOYER Members Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:

I've had the Touch for some time now, and practically every model before that since the initial SG1.

The drawbacks of the Touch are 1) no pinch to zoom, i.e. fixed zoom using +/1, 2) limited battery life (2 four hour rounds are pushing it even with the backlight at 25%), and 3) having to tap and hold to position the cursor in the fairway (should be a simple tap like the IntelliGreen view).

Otherwise it's been solid. 'Not sure I want something quite as big as the SX500, but the larger screen and battery would be nice.

You know you're going to order a SX500. It is just too tempting. image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' /> image/nyam.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nyam:' />
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 driver w/ Tensei AX 65 Regular
    Callaway Epic 3+ wood w/ Fujikura Pro 72 Green Regular
    Callaway Epic 5 & 7wood w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
    Callaway Apex 19 5 - AW irons w/ Project X Catalyst 60 Regular
    Callaway MD4 56 & 60 w/ Project X LZ 5.5
    Toulon Design Atlanta
    Callaway Chrome Soft
    Got an welcome notice today, looks like they extended my Double Eagle membership through this day next year. Good job!
  • Mr. BigglesMr. Biggles Members Posts: 180
    Got this email yesterday. Good that they care enough to keep me/us up to date best they can.

Your SX500 Order Will Ship Soon

Thank you for your recent purchase of the SkyCaddie SX500! We are very excited to get it in your hands soon.

Due to the remarkable response that we had with pre-orders, the entire SkyCaddie team has been working extended hours to get these out as quickly as possible. Our goal is to get all orders prior to August 16th shipped out to customers within the next week.

Our Support team is unable to provide a status update for your order so please be patient and watch your inbox for an update with UPS tracking information.

We appreciate your business!

Regards,

SkyGolf Customer Support

• blehnhardblehnhard Over The Hill & Almost Down The Other Side Members Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too got the same email. Hopefully will get mine within next 10 days. One of my golf friends has gotten his. No issues so far. It is a big sucker.
  • blehnhardblehnhard Over The Hill & Almost Down The Other Side Members Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got notice of shipment. Track # not yet showing up on UPS.
    Used mine today, overall I liked it very much, but did find a few quirks, which I wasn't able to find a setting for. Really only one thing, when you turn it horizontal, it flips to a scorecard like some of the previous models, which I don't care for as I don't use it to keep score. So every time I sat it down on the seat or tray when you picked it back up it was on the scorecard page. You could turn that off on the old models, but I didn't see an option on the 500. Also, some times it automatically moved to the next hole, but sometimes it popped up a dialog asking if you were done with the hole. Not sure why the difference.

I will likely get a mount so won't be laying it down which should make that a non issue I hope. Other than that everything worked great. Big screen is very nice to use!
    TVD 56M S200
    Cameron Fastback 2
  • Joker4sureJoker4sure Members Posts: 8
    snagy2000 wrote:

78Staff wrote:

Skydiver22 wrote:

Skydiver22 wrote:

I called yesterday asking about lead times from ordering to arrival at my door... They told me yesterday that they should be shipping out Aug 1st and 2nd orders today, and the initial pre-order rush tapered down a couple of days after the email blast. I ordered one because they "think" they might be able to get mine to me by Aug 24th... leaving home for World Am. Not holding my breath, but it would be nice to have for the Myrtle trip.

Thanks for making the call. Thought about doing the same.

I ordered 8/13.......I'll be happy if it's here by the end of next week. Ever the optimist I am.

I just called them to see if all the standing orders would be filled this week, and if so I would change my shipping to two day so I could take it on my golf trip next week.

Customer service told me that they think the in stock items sold out by the 14th, maybe 13th... anything sold on the website after 12th/13th is probably back ordered until mid September. not good news for my golf trip... looks like I'm sticking with my laser for a while.

**** I'm still waiting on my Pre-Order of Aug 2nd image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />. Anyone ordered Aug 1 or 2 got there's yet, or a shipping email even?

Aug 3 here and nothing!
    Ordered August 4th. notified Thursday shipped tracking shows delivery on Monday UPS.
  • dchormandchorman Member Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    78Staff wrote:

Used mine today, overall I liked it very much, but did find a few quirks, which I wasn't able to find a setting for. Really only one thing, when you turn it horizontal, it flips to a scorecard like some of the previous models, which I don't care for as I don't use it to keep score. So every time I sat it down on the seat or tray when you picked it back up it was on the scorecard page. You could turn that off on the old models, but I didn't see an option on the 500. Also, some times it automatically moved to the next hole, but sometimes it popped up a dialog asking if you were done with the hole. Not sure why the difference.

I will likely get a mount so won't be laying it down which should make that a non issue I hope. Other than that everything worked great. Big screen is very nice to use!

Same quirk for me as well with the scorecard. To disable that feature simply go to Settings>AutoView>Off
  • sr129sr129 Members Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    I used mine for the first time yesterday and really liked the screen size and brightness. Screen is very responsive.

Only down side was the overall size. It is too large to fit it the cupholder on the cart so it looks like I will be buying a holder.

Don't want to carry it in my pocket or just lay it on the seat.
    edited Aug 25, 2018 #138
    Just got mine today and this is the first and only thing I see after turning it on...

Update, after plugging it in, the screen now seems to work.
    BirdieBob wrote:

I'm using the SportX TekGrip and the clamps don't push on any buttons on the side of the SX500! Works great!

Very firm grip...highly recommended.

4584f17596672562f401be7c4cdd6638.jpg

Which mount works better for carts (with square uprights) - the clamp or the strap mount? Both seem geared towards round bar mounting, not square stock like pretty much all riding carts have... I wonder if the clamp would open enough to clamp over the lip of the dash of riding carts?

dchorman wrote:

Same quirk for me as well with the scorecard. To disable that feature simply go to Settings>AutoView>Off

Excellent, thanks!
    TVD 56M S200
    Cameron Fastback 2
  • Joker4sureJoker4sure Members Posts: 8
    I ordered on August 4th. notified of shipping on the 23rd. tracking states delivery on the 27th. also email confirming $50 credit for an SG2 I had sitting around.
  • BrendanHBrendanH Members Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Got mine on the course for the first time yesterday. Very happy with everything about it to be honest. The screen is fantastic. Large, bright and excellent resolution. I need reading glasses for computer work etc but I had no trouble reading the SX500 without them. I was having trouble with my Approach G8 due the size but the SX500 has solved that (For now at any rate. Not getting any younger, lol).

The accuracy seemed very good. At no point did I see unreasonable yardages in comparison to my lasered pin numbers. On a couple of occasions I lasered a bunker carry just to compare with the SkyCaddie and it was within a yard each time. I would not necessarily expect +/- 1 yard accuracy vs laser each time and for every target but I think it will be about as accurate as you could reasonably expect from a GPS device.

The cart I was in had large and small cupholders and the SX500 fit in the large one no problem. It would not fit in the smaller one. I'll hold off on buying a mount until I find a need for one I guess.
  • dochamgoiudochamgoiu Members Posts: 179 ✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2018 #142
    Trade in question for everyone? When I traded up the last time from the SGX to the Touch, I seem to recall receiving a prepaid padded gold envelope to send the older model in. When I received the SX500, I didn't receive any of that in the box. I'm assuming I need to package it up and send back on my own? Anyone already sent their Touch in for the trade-in credit? Thanks for any info!
  • Seamus_McDuffSeamus_McDuff ChicagoMembers Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dochamgoiu wrote:

Trade in question for everyone? When I traded up the last time from the SGX to the Touch, I seem to recall receiving a prepaid padded gold envelope to send the older model in. When I received the SX500, I didn't receive any of that in the box. I'm assuming I need to package it up and send back on my own? Anyone already sent their Touch in for the trade-in credit? Thanks for any info!

If I remember the email correctly, it’s up to you to ship it to them and pay for it. I wouldn’t send them a Touch for $50 credit. You should be able to get more if you sell it here or on eBay.
    dochamgoiu wrote:

My touch was smashed beyond repair and in two pieces. I placed it in a small envelope we had lying around from an amazon order and paid $3 USPS. I received the $50 credit on my CC a few days later. If my touch was operational, I would’ve sold it elsewhere for more than the what they’re offering. But a device that looked like I used it on a tee box, $50 seems fair. Haha.
  • tad950tad950 Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭
    dochamgoiu wrote:

When I purchased mine, there was a form to fill out. And I sent in a non working SGX that I had laying around. No prepaid envelope.. I received a credit the same day my SG500 arrived..

So it was $50 early bird discount, and a $50 trade in credit. I don’t think I had an extension to my Double Eagle membership, as some of you guys mentioned.
    78Staff wrote:

BirdieBob wrote:

I'm using the SportX TekGrip and the clamps don't push on any buttons on the side of the SX500! Works great!

Very firm grip...highly recommended.

4584f17596672562f401be7c4cdd6638.jpg

Which mount works better for carts (with square uprights) - the clamp or the strap mount? Both seem geared towards round bar mounting, not square stock like pretty much all riding carts have... I wonder if the clamp would open enough to clamp over the lip of the dash of riding carts?

Well I couldn't wrap my head around a circular clamp for a square tube, so I just went with the Caddie Buddy version - I've used it before in previous GPS versions and have been happy with it - I'll report back after I use it on the course...

https://caddiebuddy.com/golf-cart-mount-holder-for-skycaddie-sx500/
    TVD 56M S200
    Cameron Fastback 2
  • tdk8180tdk8180 Members Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool...the golf buddy PT4 came out in 2014

Welcome to this decade SkyGolf
    Golfbuddy went small with their current version so I'm glad this version came out. My PT4 is at it's end of life and I don't want smaller.
    Received email on Sat with UPS Tracking #. No shipping details for that tracking # are yet available on UPS website. Probably sitting in warehouse waiting for UPS pickup today (I hope).
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly! Members Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    vernon wrote:

dchorman wrote:

I use the Scosche Magic Mount for our iPhone 8+ in both our SUV's and have been using same mount with the Touch the last year or so. I tried it with the new SX500 and works perfectly for me. I just put the suction mount on the cart lower windshield near the cart frame to restrict a lot of movement and stuck the metal plate on rear of SX500. The magnets are really strong and have tested 3 rounds with no problems whatsoever. I can easily pull off and walk it to tee boxes or cart path only fairways then stick right back on the magnet. It may not be for everyone, but works for me and not expensive at all.

You might have my attention with that one. I haven't seen one of those before but if it really works and eliminates the need to mess with clamping mechanisms to secure and remove the unit I'm in.

Guess I need to amend my earlier statement that I saw no need to look any further!

Thanks!
    Turns out a buddy of mine has one of these that he uses for his iPhone. I borrowed it on Friday to use with the SX500 and ordered one for myself off of Amazon before the round was even over.

Works perfectly, is compact yet sturdy and eliminates the need to mess with the clamping device on the RAM mount whenever I want to remove/replace the GPS to take it elsewhere on the course - tee box, driving range, DEEP in the woods, etc.

Plus, it's a fraction of the cost of the RAM mount - $11 vs. $65.

Thanks for the heads up on this item!
    vernon wrote:

vernon wrote:

dchorman wrote:

Thanks!
    Turns out a buddy of mine has one of these that he uses for his iPhone. I borrowed it on Friday to use with the SX500 and ordered one for myself off of Amazon before the round was even over.

Works perfectly, is compact yet sturdy and eliminates the need to mess with the clamping device on the RAM mount whenever I want to remove/replace the GPS to take it elsewhere on the course - tee box, driving range, DEEP in the woods, etc.

Plus, it's a fraction of the cost of the RAM mount - $11 vs. $65.

Thanks for the heads up on this item!

Awesome!!! I'm glad I could help. Can't beat the ease of use and price point. My mount fell off the cart windshield a couple times when I first got these due to windshield being dirty and suction not making good contact. Make sure to wipe the suction cup first with damp towel or finger (per instructions that I didn't read, haha) and it will never come off unless you use some force.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file