Best equipment change for you this year

Comments

• tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Swapped out my old 910 D2 driver for a 915 D2 earlier this year. I got more consistency with my distance and disperison. I also decided to stay with one putter and putting style instead of consistently switching to whatever was the hotter flat stick (kombi-s w/ an SS 3.0 slim grip using a pencil style hold ). I’ve hit more greens in regulation in 2018 and I can blame my misses with the putter on misread greens or bad aim now
  • Got rid of the Project X LZ shafts in my irons and went back to the zz65 Cushin shafts.
  • leopoldstotchleopoldstotch Members Posts: 356
    Went with toe hang putters, muuuuuch better for my stroke
    Taylormade M2 Driver (2016)
    Callaway XR16 3 Wood

Cobra Fly Z 5 Wood
    Srixon H45 4 Hybrid

Srixon Z565 5-AW
    Cleveland RTX 3 54/58
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
  • 15Over15Over Marine Biologist Posts: 387
    Believe it or not, my switch to Wilson Triton driver. Packed the head with cotton, weights set to draw. Not as long as other drivers maybe, but for me it is a true fairway finder ... and that’s what I needed. Scores can really go down when you’re not playing so many second shots from trouble.
  • FlyOverFlyOver Members Posts: 325 ✭✭
    edited Dec 5, 2018 #276
    Playing the Titleist AVX ball, switching to mid-size grips and bagging the Ping G400 LST driver.
    Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-GD AD IZ 7S shaft
    Taylormade M5 Rocket 3W-Tensei Orange X-stiff shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport modified center shaft putter
    Titleist yellow AVX ball or yellow ProV1X 
  • lonscicleslonscicles Members Posts: 35
    Taking the JPX 900 out of the bag and throwing in the Titleist CB's. Felt like hitting a ping pong ball with a 2 by 4 with the mizunos. Still baffled by this as my experience with Mizuno has always been a responsive face and buttery feel, but they simply didn't do it for me.
  • ghoonkghoonk The Hoarder Members Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Giving up my R510 TP and switching to an M4 with Tensei Orange 50S shaft. Finding more fairways and getting my average up from 221y to 248y means I hit more GIR.

Just picked up an M3 3w in the hope of getting a bit more reach into par 5s for a shorter approach. Let’s see if that helps in 2019!
    [font=georgia,serif]Srixon Z785 w/ stock Miyazaki Mahana (S) shaft
    Srizon F65 4w (17*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
    Srixon H65 2h (16*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S) shaft
    Miura MC501 4-PW w/ TT S300 AMT White (S) shaft
    Miura 50*, 54*, 58* Forged black wedges w/ KBS Tour matt black wedge shafts
    Miura MGP-M3 putter
    [/font]
  • rhymedawgrhymedawg Members Posts: 2
    1997 Scotty Cameron Sonoma I bought at a garage sale for $1.00. Took me five sessions with all kinds of steel wool, abrasive pads, and eventually a set of brass dremel brushes that fit in my electric drill to clean all of the rust off this putter as it had sat in a Florida coastal garage (across the street from the intercoastal) with the headcover on for most of its life.

Really bought it just as an investment—not expecting to use it—as I have never really liked a single bend offset shaft. But this 35" putter is so balanced in my hands and the first putter I have ever found that I seem to putt well with on both lag, and short putts. Love it!
  • n_ronesn_rones Members Posts: 500 ✭✭
    Dropped my Apex CF16 irons in favor of Srixon Z745s night and day difference how much my game turned around when i made this change.
    Srixon Z785 9.5° HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76
    Srixon F85 15° GD Tour AD DI-6s
    Srixon Z H85 19° Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 85
    Srixon Z565 4 KBS Tour FLT S
    Srixon Z745 5-PW KBS Tour R+
    Titleist Vokey SM4 50°
    Titleist Vokey SM4 54°
    Taylormade HI-Toe 58°
    Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5 Stability Shaft
  • Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing Members Posts: 1,651 ClubWRX
    Callaway CF 16 to TM P790's and Callaway 816 DBD with Oban Kiyoshi shaft for a TM M3 with UST Mamiya Attas Cool shaft.
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,714 ✭✭
    sdogg11tw wrote:

Added a g400 stretch 3 wood 13 degree set at 12.Really love my g25 3 wood but needed a 3 wood for more distance off the t.Really struggling with my driver theses days with consistency.

Keeping the ball in ball in play with little distance loss has help my game.

My answer is exactly the same. Don't even hit a driver much anymore.

Have you guys thought of going old school with driver? I struggle with consistency with new drivers, but hit older drivers much better. I do lose a bit of distance at the top end to newer drivers, but my r7 super quad tp keeps it in the fairway more and my average distance is about the same cause I don't have the real bad misses. It is probably a different way of doing the same thing, but I find 3 woods not quite as reliable as driver for me, and I just don't feel right without driver in the bag.

• johnnythundersjohnnythunders ClubWRX Posts: 1,695 ✭✭
    Cobra f7 one length, hit my short irons much further which is what I needed, I only use from 7-sw, I needed length so they are perfect.
    2019bag<br />Callaway Fusion 10.5 Fuji evo 3 661 stiff <br />Ping g400 5/7 fw<br />hybrids Rogue x 5,6<br>Cobra f-max Smackwrap one length 6-gw,Speedback one length sand wedg<br />Taylormade Copper Mullen 2 <br />backup driver Mizuno St 190 10.5 with Fuji V 661 stiff-regular. Ball: Supersoft, Kirkland 3-piece and Cut Grey and White
  • Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience ClubWRX Posts: 3,560 ClubWRX

M3 Driver with Tour AD DI 7X. I am already down 3.1 shots in my handicap and should be able to push down to mid single digits if I actually warmed up before my rounds and did not start bogey/double/bogey to start my rounds like i have on my last 5 rounds.

but hey... i do get an extra 30 minutes of sleep thanks to skipping the range...

I went back to my Atmos 7X I was fit for at the kingdom in my M3 Driver. It turns out the pros at taylormade carlsbad know how to fit me better than i know how to fit myself... who knew?
  • ChadwickogChadwickog Members Posts: 288 ✭✭
    My best equipment change was switching drivers and shafts and realizing that I needed to go back to what I was playing before as it works best for me of everything I've tried. I did switch heads though to get more forgiveness and so far it has been working.
  • mblizzard53mblizzard53 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭
    No question, a Matrix Maru green shaft in my driver, straightened it out and added distance.
    WITB:
    Driver: Taylormade M3 440 10*, Matrix Maru Green 60S 45.5"
    Fairways:Taylormade M3 3 15*, LAGP Ozik Red Tie 50S 43.5"
    Taylormade M3 5 19*, LAGP Ozik Red Tie 50S 42.75"
    Irons: Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal 4-GW, Nippon NS Pro 105
    Wedges: Mizuno T7, 46/6, 52/9, 56/10, True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* ATV, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Putter: SIK C-series Pro 35", LAGP Ozik TP Putter 125
    Grips: Assorted
    Ball: Vice Pro+
    Other neat stuff: Vice Force Golf Bag, Seamus Golf Headcovers
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Proper shafts in my irons (after a fitting), and Srixon Z565/765 iron combo set.
    Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB Red
  • dnalepocadnalepoca Members Posts: 225 ✭✭
    Going with cobra at the top of the bag. F7 driver, F6 baffler, and utility are money clubs
    Cobra King F7
    Cobra King baffler F6 17.5*
    Cobra King Utility 20.5*
    Wilson Staff V4 Utility 23*
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 irons 5-PW
    Mizuno MP T-11 52*
    Wilson Staff PMP Tour 56*
    PING Glide 2.0 TS 60*
    Taylormade TP Juno Copper
    Bridgestone Tour B XS, Srixon Z-Star XV
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,341 ✭✭
    New sandwedge that is all.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • JSpellman21JSpellman21 Members Posts: 3
    G400 driver has completely changed my game. The forgiveness is uncanny
  • ajchangajchang Members Posts: 25
    Cut my 45.5” driver shaft to 44”. game changer. also committed to Snell MTB black - feels great and gives me confidence.
  • DK<80DK<80 Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #292
    playa wrote:

sdogg11tw wrote:

Added a g400 stretch 3 wood 13 degree set at 12.Really love my g25 3 wood but needed a 3 wood for more distance off the t.Really struggling with my driver theses days with consistency.

Keeping the ball in ball in play with little distance loss has help my game.

My answer is exactly the same. Don't even hit a driver much anymore.

Have you guys thought of going old school with driver? I struggle with consistency with new drivers, but hit older drivers much better. I do lose a bit of distance at the top end to newer drivers, but my r7 super quad tp keeps it in the fairway more and my average distance is about the same cause I don't have the real bad misses. It is probably a different way of doing the same thing, but I find 3 woods not quite as reliable as driver for me, and I just don't feel right without driver in the bag.

100% agree!!!

I went through the same struggle and played golf for a few years without a driver. It was either that or quit golf. I could hit my r9 3 wood somewhere between 240-250 off the tee and not losing so many tee shots really helped my score.

BUT......I've always loved hitting my driver and I knew at some point I'd have to get one back in the bag. Bought an SLDR 430 when it came out and I fell in love with it. Over the past year or so I've been struggling with consistency again so I ended up picking up an old 905T 44" (I had one in HS, sold it) and could not believe how much easier it was to keep the ball in play.

So I went back and forth between the two and about 2 months ago I stuck with the 905.

I also suggest trying an older driver and/or cutting some off the length. Both have helped my consistency. Lost a little bit of distance off the tee but worth it image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    TaylorMade SLDR 430 12°
    Titleist 917F2 15°
    TaylorMade r9 19°
    Cleveland Classic 4h 23°
    Titleist 712 AP2 (5-PW)
    Cleveland 588 RTG (54°, 60°, 64°)
    Nike Method Core MC-4iX
  • PulledabillPulledabill Posts: 324 ✭✭
    Whole new bag as of July. some new some used but my 54 and 58 Vokeys are the game changer.
  • bummerh12bummerh12 Members Posts: 3
    Cleveland CBX wedges! Game changer for my short game.
  • ghoonkghoonk The Hoarder Members Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Just got on Trackman with my TM M4 10.5 with a Tensei Orange 50S against the Srixon Z785 in a Miyazaki (something something S - stock shaft option) and if I get my way, this will overtake the 2 F65 fairway woods I just put into my bag (by all that's holy, these are LONG - 240-250 and they find the fairways!) as best equipment purchase of 2018

Why?

260-275 yards off the tee (vs the 250 I get off my M4), beautiful draw and finding more fairways!
    [font=georgia,serif]Srixon Z785 w/ stock Miyazaki Mahana (S) shaft
    Srizon F65 4w (17*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
    Srixon H65 2h (16*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S) shaft
    Miura MC501 4-PW w/ TT S300 AMT White (S) shaft
    Miura 50*, 54*, 58* Forged black wedges w/ KBS Tour matt black wedge shafts
    Miura MGP-M3 putter
    [/font]
  • searanchgolfersearanchgolfer Members Posts: 2
    p790 3 iron with a c taper- makes a nice driving iron for me. I play a links style course so having something to keep under the wind is a plus.

917 D2 with an x stiff rogue. This is the first time I have ever played an X stiff and was always hesitant to make the switch from S to X. Glad I went that way, finally having fun hitting driver again a few years of struggles.
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Members Posts: 462 ✭✭
    There is a set of new AP2/3's under the tree for me, hoping that will be my answer but probably won't know for sure before 2019 starts so I'll say my Edel E-3 putter.

If you've always just tried putters out yourself and never gotten fit for one, I strongly recommend you do before your next purchase. It was very enlightening experience, I never would have been able to figure out the combination that fit best just by trial and error. I've never been more confident from 10 feet and in.
    "We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time."

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
    Mizuno JPX 900 3W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
    Titleist AP3 4 & 5 Iron w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist AP2 6 - PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Miura Y Grind 51 w/ Project X 5.5
    Miura C Grind 55 w/ Project X 5.5
    Miura C Grind 59 w/ Project X 5.5
    Custom Edel E3
    Titleist Lightweight Stand Bag
  • JClarkGolfJClarkGolf Members Posts: 68
    Taylormabe MB's to Cobra King Black MB's with Project X LZ shafts. I call my irons....MONEY
  • 2Down2Down Members Posts: 140
    Went from Taylor made 2014 MB with KBS105 to Mizuno MP 5 with KBS 120, 👍

And a ping fetch replaced an Odessey 7S.

My handicap was climbing and now it isn’t. Well it’s winter. Handicap starts back up next March. But I’m back to scoring welll.

Ping G400 Lst 10° Mitsubishi Kuro Kage SIlver Dual Core Ti-Ni
    Titliest 915 15° Mitsubishi blue S
    Bridgestone 19° Mitsubishi Fubuki S
    Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana S
    Mizuno MP5 5-W KBS tour 120 S
    Mizuno T6 50°
    Mizuno T7 54°
    Ping es 58° sw
    ping Fetch
  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    T1100 65 6.5 in the driver.

I can take the most aggressive lines with it

Current Gamers

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TC Callaway X Hot 3 Deep 14.5...................Rombax P95 X
    Taylormade GAPR Mid 3..............................Recoil Utility 110F5
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................AMT TI X100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-PW....................................AMT TI X100
    Callaway MD Forged 50, 56.........................AMT TI S400
    TI Taylormade Hi Toe 60.09..........................AMT TI S400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • swing33swing33 Members Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Finally moved on from 910 driver this year to the Epic SZ and that was a very good change, but the most beneficial change for me were the Rogue fairways