ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

If you could get a lesson from any instructor...who?

Comments

• zRabbitzRabbit Automaton Members Posts: 19
    Butch and Claude III
    Ping G 9 degree, Ping Tour 65X
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta, 16 degree, Matrix Exotics White Tie 5X3.1
    Bridgestone J33 19 degree, Aldila VS Proto S
    Ping iE1, 4-PW, C-Taper 120S
    Ping Glide, 50SS, 55SS, 60ES, C-Taper 120S
    Rife Mr. Beasley
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 3,132 ClubWRX
    Butch Harmon
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Speeder 757 Evo ii X<br />Taylormade M1 (2017) 3 wood w/Aldila Tour Blue 75x<br />Mizuno MP18 flihi 3 iron <br />Mizuno MP18 SC 4-pw KBS Tour<br />Taylormade High Toe 52/58 wedges <br />Scotty Cameron 5.5m
  • WILDTHINGWILDTHING Banned Posts: 621
    edited August 2018
    An instructor who can use external focus 'feels' to optimise your swing biomechanics. That means the same instructor must also have a good background in anatomy, kinetics and biomechanics (and is better than most in 'guessing' cause and effect) so that he/she knows where your swing needs optimisation.

So far, Shawn Clements is as close to that set of criteria as anyone else (although unfortunately he may not be an expert in biomechanics, kinetics).
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Chowdah86Chowdah86 Advanced Members Posts: 326 ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Jack Nicklaus.

I recall a couple stories from pros who, after having devastatingly poor rounds were pulled aside by Jack and told to meet him at the range, where they apparently received powerful advice.

As he has gotten older, he has become incredibly frank, just cutting through the BS. There are a couple of videos of him as an elderly man explaining the swing, so simply and concisely to children and at clinics. He has seen so much golf. Learned so much about the game. Oh yeah, and as we often forget, he is the undisputed greatest golfer of all time. And he is currently living among us.

He is not a teaching pro though.
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Advanced Members Posts: 5,007 ✭✭
    Yea I would probably say tiger
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Advanced Members Posts: 5,006 ✭✭
    Chowdah86 wrote:

Jack Nicklaus.

I recall a couple stories from pros who, after having devastatingly poor rounds were pulled aside by Jack and told to meet him at the range, where they apparently received powerful advice.

As he has gotten older, he has become incredibly frank, just cutting through the BS. There are a couple of videos of him as an elderly man explaining the swing, so simply and concisely to children and at clinics. He has seen so much golf. Learned so much about the game. Oh yeah, and as we often forget, he is the undisputed greatest golfer of all time. And he is currently living among us.

So, a big Tiger fan?
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • BForresterBForrester Unregistered Posts: 1,261
    Butch, without question.
    Taylormade M1 8.5o Aldila Tour Green 70x 44"
    Taylormade RBZ 3w 15o Aldila Tour Blue 70x
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19o R-Flex
    Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW DG S300
    Mizuno S5 (54, 58)
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
    edited August 2018

Not, Not, Not, David Leadbetter.

Yes, George Gankas, Tiger, cause why not, and Michael Breed

You know Leadbetter is an intelligent instructor. Sure, hes a shameless money grabber with all sorts of gimmicks. But he knows a great deal about the swing. I would love a lesson from him.

To be honest, the A swing thing was pretty great imo. Not a big swing method guy myself, but I think it could help a lot of guys. I see so many people play with weak left hand grip, grip up the middle of the palm, right hand seperated by 1/2", they suck the club way inside in the takeaway, over swing and loop it back over the top. They do this OVER AND OVER. I think Leadbetter was the first guy to be like "alright, everyone has been doing the same **** thing for the last 200 years, lets write a book telling them to do the exact opposite of all of those moves".
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

Chowdah86 wrote:

Jack Nicklaus.

So, a big Tiger fan?

Tiger would be awesome as well. He is a golfing genius. He has changed his swing so many times, Im not sure anyone knows as much as him. Although I could imagine Tiger just grinning and saying something flippant. Maybe taking my driver and striping it 320 down the middle and saying "just do that every time and you'll be good"
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Advanced Members Posts: 3,468 ✭✭
    GANKAS
    Chowdah86 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

Chowdah86 wrote:

Jack Nicklaus.

So, a big Tiger fan?

Tiger would be awesome as well. He is a golfing genius. He has changed his swing so many times, Im not sure anyone knows as much as him. Although I could imagine Tiger just grinning and saying something flippant. Maybe taking my driver and striping it 320 down the middle and saying "just do that every time and you'll be good"

But if you asked him to hit driver again he'd probably block it 30 yards right.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

Chowdah86 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

Chowdah86 wrote:

Jack Nicklaus.

So, a big Tiger fan?

But if you asked him to hit driver again he'd probably block it 30 yards right.

This is true. I would love for him to overhaul my putting game. I would willingly forget everything I know and bow at that alter of putting greatness.
  • Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 3,537 ClubWRX
    Post Birdie Dancing Coach: Miguel Angel Jiminez

Nassau Betting Coach: Phil Mickelson

Lifestyle Coach: Dustin Johnson

Post round drinking coach: Ernie Els. Pre-round drinking coach: John Daly
  • pacobanuelospacobanuelos Members Posts: 30
    Chowdah86 wrote:

Post round drinking coach: Ernie Els. Pre-round drinking coach: John Daly

Now we fight!
    TM M2 9* Aldila 70X
    TM P790 UDI - X100
    Mizuno JPX 900T 4-PW - X100 +.5
    Titleist 50F08, 54S10, 58M08 -S400 (64 in)
  • ferrispgmferrispgm Advanced Members Posts: 1,856 ✭✭
    I would only go to 1 person...David Leadbetter....his knowledge of the swing is insurmountable and he has vastly improved some of the greatest players in the last 30 years. IMO the A swing should be the new TGM book.

On a serious note....Monte has been awesome for me and the only person I have worked with that has actually helped me to improve so I don't see a need to work with anyone else. Though I do like a lot of what George Gankas and Dan Carraher have to say and they would be a close tie for 2nd.
    Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
    FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
    54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
    58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
    Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,727 ClubWRX
    WILDTHING wrote:

An instructor who can use external focus 'feels' to optimise your swing biomechanics. That means the same instructor must also have a good background in anatomy, kinetics and biomechanics (and is better than most in 'guessing' cause and effect) so that he/she knows where your swing needs optimisation.

So far, Shawn Clements is as close to that set of criteria as anyone else (although unfortunately he may not be an expert in biomechanics, kinetics).

It's "Clement" - he's your guy and great for you, but in 100 posts about him you never seem to know his name.

You set out the absolutes for qualifications but he fails the main one and 2/3, according to you so the question is then why push him at all?

Failing two out of three ain't bad - so he's the Meatloaf of instructors?

Just missing the logic.
  • Forged4everForged4ever Putting is 98%+ Mental..... ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 15,501 ClubWRX
    edited August 2018
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Physical Game: Harry Welford "Pete" Snead

Mental Game : Pete Wysocki

RIP Bros👊

Of the Gents still here, Jim Waldron or Monte, whichever one could tolerate me🤪

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends⛳️

Richard

Courtesy of you on this forum Pete Snead is on my all time wish I'd met him golf list - hope things are well!
    Hey Bro, I hope that all’s well and you’re having a nice season👊

You’d have loved Pete!!

As a Teacher, he wasn’t a methods or systems guy and I swear, he had more drills than anyone that I’ve met in my life. What I mean is that he’d ask Ya to grab a 6i and hit 3-4 balls. Then he’d give ya a drill or two to execute and boom, after a bag or two with the drills, you’d have it worked out. If you wanted to know exactly what you were doing and what his drill did, he’s explain it to ya in basic English, not this quantum physics bullshat that these guys are using today.

Like Sam always chirped: “it ain’t trigonometry boys, it’s basic arithmetic”

I never wanted to get into deep discussions as all I did was, depending on my divot and/or ball flight, I’d go back to the drill(s) that Pete had given me.

I asked Pete who amongst the current crop(this was circa 2000/2001) of Teachers(he refused to call them “coaches” as he would say that “this isn’t football or basketball and I’m not a coach,” lolol) and he said one name, “Butch.”

They spoke a decent amount via phone and when Pete could travel, before his first stroke, he would meet Butch and some guys in Vegas to Play, gamble and tell lies, lol. Butch sent his family a beautiful arrangement for the funeral. It was constructed to look like a huge golf ball with an iron & wood crossing though it. Very cool! All it said was “Fairways & Greens Brother...The Boys”

Anyhoo, the best testimonial that I could give on Pete is from a Bud of mine that I took as my guest to the Annual Inter-Club Dinner the year that we upset Oakmont in the Championship(2 day Ryder Cup Style) and I pulled one outa my **** in beating Duke Delcher on the 24th hole and It was the only time that I ever, in 32+ years, saw Pete show ANY emotion on the course when he followed me in a tourney. After I dropped an 8’ bird putt on the 24th, I took off my glasses and looked right at him, sitting in a cart about 10 yards in front of the green in the fairway. I gave him a thumbs up and he jumped out of the cart and did 3-4 fist pumps👊😂😂

He was Mr. Stoic to my wearing my emotions on my sleeves, lmao

Well, at the dinner, which Sam came up for as he as the guest speaker, and Duke flew in as did Jay Siegel, who while not Playing this yea, he had Played the year before and drilled me 5&4, lol, everyone was mingling before with drinks and appetizers and then there was an open bar afterward and some of the guys went downstairs to the Men’s Grille to play cards.

So when we were leaving I asked my Bud what he thought of the evening and he replied “it was great and you know, at the start of the evening, everyone was around Sam, and at the end, they all were around Pete. It was like he was holding court,” lolol

Yep, that was Pete....

You might not know him when ya first entered the room, however you would **** sure know him and more importantly remember him when ya left.

You’d have liked him Hawkster😊

Stay well my Friend🍻

RP
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Hawkeye77 wrote:

RIP Bros&#55357;&#56394;

Of the Gents still here, Jim Waldron or Monte, whichever one could tolerate me&#55358;&#56618;

Richard

Courtesy of you on this forum Pete Snead is on my all time wish I'd met him golf list - hope things are well!
    Hey Bro, I hope that all's well and you're having a nice season&#55357;&#56394;

You'd have loved Pete!!

As a Teacher, he wasn't a methods or systems guy and I swear, he had more drills than anyone that I've met in my life. What I mean is that he'd ask Ya to grab a 6i and hit 3-4 balls. Then he'd give ya drill or two to execute and boom, after a bag or two with the drills, you'd have it worked out. If you wanted to know exactly what you were doing and what his drill did, he's explain it to ya in basic English, not this quantum physics bullshat that these guys are using today.

Like Sam always chirped: "it ain't trigonometry boys, it's general mathematics"

I never wanted to get into deep discussions as all I did was, depending on my divot and/or ball flight, I'd go back to the drill(s) that Pete had given me.

I asked Pete who amongst the current crop(this was circa 2000/2001) of Teachers(he refused to call them "coaches" as he would say that "this isn't football or basketball and I'm not a coach," lolol) and he said one name, "Butch."

They spoke a decent amount via phone and when Pete could travel, before his first stroke, he would meet Butch and some guys in Vegas to Play, gamble and tell lies, lol. Butch sent his family a beautiful arrangement for the funeral. It was constructed to look like a huge golf ball with an iron & wood crossing though it. Very cool! All it said was "Fairways & Greens Brother...The Boys"

Anyhoo, the best testimonial that I could give on Pete is from a Bud of mine that I took as my guest to the Annual Inter-Club Dinner the year that we upset Oakmont in the Championship(2 day Ryder Cup Style) and I pulled one outa my **** in beating Duke Delcher on the 24th hole and It was the only time that I ever, in 32+ years, saw Pete show ANY emotion on the course when he followed me in a tourney. After I dropped an 8' bird putt, I took off my glasses and looked right at him, sitting in a cart about 10 yards in front of the green in the fairway. I gave him a thumbs up and he jumped out of the cart and did 3-4 fist pumps&#55357;&#56394;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;

Well, at the dinner, which Sam came up for as he as the guest speaker, and Duke flew in as did Jay Siegel, who while not Playing this yea, he had Played the year before and drilled me 5&4, lol, everyone was mingling before with drinks and appetizers and then there was an open bar afterward and some of the guys went downstairs to the Men's Grille to play cards.

So when we were leaving I asked my Bud what he thought of the evening and he replied "it was great and you know, at the start of the evening, everyone was around Sam, and at the end, they all were around Pete. It was like he was holding court," lolol

Yep, that was Pete....

You might not know him when ya first entered the room, however you would **** sure know him and more importantly remember him when ya left.

You'd have liked him Hawkster&#55357;&#56842;

Stay well my Friend&#55356;&#57211;

RP

WRX wouldn't be the same without you Richard. Hope you're doing well.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • WILDTHINGWILDTHING Banned Posts: 621
    edited August 2018
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

WILDTHING wrote:

It's "Clement" - he's your guy and great for you, but in 100 posts about him you never seem to know his name.

You set out the absolutes for qualifications but he fails the main one and 2/3, according to you so the question is then why push him at all?

Failing two out of three ain't bad - so he's the Meatloaf of instructors?

Just missing the logic.

External focus can automatically put you in the correct positions without knowledge of biomechanics and kinetics .

If you can guarantee 100% knowledge of 'cause and effect', then one can use anatomy ,biomechanics and kinetics to help optimise a swing . Shawn knows about anatomy , is an expert on using 'external focus' cues/tools and is an experienced teacher for over 30 years . He has different intuitive ideas about cause and effect just using the motor learning techniques that have been scientifically validated by Dr G Wulf (and others).

I don't know 100% if he has qualifications in biomechanics or kinetics but he is not a fan of using the latter in his instruction (because it becomes preoccupied with internal focus which is proven to be inferior to external focus with regard learning and retention of learning).

I say its unfortunate that he may not be an expert in biomechanics/kinetics (and sometimes anatomy) because some of his videos have 'very infrequently' delved into some of those areas and could be questioned (no-one is perfect). But that is far less important than the ideas/concepts he is trying to communicate to the golfing fraternity which is why, imho, a superior golf instructor.

The fact that you have read 100 posts of mine pleases me , not because you have childishly spotted my calamitous error in the extra 's' to his surname but that you may have learned more about SC's ideas.
  • David CDavid C Advanced Members Posts: 838
    I’d get lessons from Joe Mayo, Jeff Mann and RBImGuy.

But if you had to push me on it I’d say Joe Mayo. Mainly because he took up golf about 10 years after me and asked us all for help so would therefore have a fresh perspective and less experience to be polluted by.

But it’s tough, Jeff Mann might keep moving the goalposts in a lesson and that would make it fresh all the time which coupled with an external focus could be the key to unlocking breaking 100.
  • Ghost of SneadGhost of Snead Advanced Members Posts: 2,706 ✭✭
    David C wrote:

I'd get lessons from Joe Mayo, Jeff Mann and RBImGuy.

But if you had to push me on it I'd say Joe Mayo. Mainly because he took up golf about 10 years after me and asked us all for help so would therefore have a fresh perspective and less experience to be polluted by.

But it's tough, Jeff Mann might keep moving the goalposts in a lesson and that would make it fresh all the time which coupled with an external focus could be the key to unlocking breaking 100.

If you play your cards right, perhaps you could be selected to be RBImGuy's 2nd student.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5* - Blue Tensei CK 70X
    Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 77X
    Callaway Apex UT 18° - Project X 6.5
    Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 3-PW - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F[/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Vokey V-Grind 58.10
    Ping My Day[/font]
  • uitar9uitar9 Advanced Members Posts: 362
    I'm gonna pick either K and Mc or the Paulson's. I wouldn't practice afterward anyways but it would be **** entertaining
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]WITB[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway
    [/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]20.5 [/font][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 5-PW irons[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 52 and 56 wedges[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]TM Spider mallet[/font]
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,727 ClubWRX

Hawkeye77 wrote:

RIP Bros&#55357;&#56394;

Of the Gents still here, Jim Waldron or Monte, whichever one could tolerate me&#55358;&#56618;

Richard

Hey Bro, I hope that all's well and you're having a nice season&#55357;&#56394;

You'd have loved Pete!!

As a Teacher, he wasn't a methods or systems guy and I swear, he had more drills than anyone that I've met in my life. What I mean is that he'd ask Ya to grab a 6i and hit 3-4 balls. Then he'd give ya a drill or two to execute and boom, after a bag or two with the drills, you'd have it worked out. If you wanted to know exactly what you were doing and what his drill did, he's explain it to ya in basic English, not this quantum physics bullshat that these guys are using today.

Like Sam always chirped: "it ain't trigonometry boys, it's basic arithmetic"

I never wanted to get into deep discussions as all I did was, depending on my divot and/or ball flight, I'd go back to the drill(s) that Pete had given me.

I asked Pete who amongst the current crop(this was circa 2000/2001) of Teachers(he refused to call them "coaches" as he would say that "this isn't football or basketball and I'm not a coach," lolol) and he said one name, "Butch."

They spoke a decent amount via phone and when Pete could travel, before his first stroke, he would meet Butch and some guys in Vegas to Play, gamble and tell lies, lol. Butch sent his family a beautiful arrangement for the funeral. It was constructed to look like a huge golf ball with an iron & wood crossing though it. Very cool! All it said was "Fairways & Greens Brother...The Boys"

Anyhoo, the best testimonial that I could give on Pete is from a Bud of mine that I took as my guest to the Annual Inter-Club Dinner the year that we upset Oakmont in the Championship(2 day Ryder Cup Style) and I pulled one outa my **** in beating Duke Delcher on the 24th hole and It was the only time that I ever, in 32+ years, saw Pete show ANY emotion on the course when he followed me in a tourney. After I dropped an 8' bird putt on the 24th, I took off my glasses and looked right at him, sitting in a cart about 10 yards in front of the green in the fairway. I gave him a thumbs up and he jumped out of the cart and did 3-4 fist pumps&#55357;&#56394;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;

Well, at the dinner, which Sam came up for as he as the guest speaker, and Duke flew in as did Jay Siegel, who while not Playing this yea, he had Played the year before and drilled me 5&4, lol, everyone was mingling before with drinks and appetizers and then there was an open bar afterward and some of the guys went downstairs to the Men's Grille to play cards.

So when we were leaving I asked my Bud what he thought of the evening and he replied "it was great and you know, at the start of the evening, everyone was around Sam, and at the end, they all were around Pete. It was like he was holding court," lolol

Yep, that was Pete....

You'd have liked him Hawkster&#55357;&#56842;

Stay well my Friend&#55356;&#57211;

RP

That's just awesome - you are so lucky to have had that relationship!

David C wrote:

But if you had to push me on it I'd say Joe Mayo. Mainly because he took up golf about 10 years after me and asked us all for help so would therefore have a fresh perspective and less experience to be polluted by.

But it's tough, Jeff Mann might keep moving the goalposts in a lesson and that would make it fresh all the time which coupled with an external focus could be the key to unlocking breaking 100.

If you play your cards right, perhaps you could be selected to be RBImGuy's 2nd student.

So glad I've finished my coffee!
  • moonshinemoonshine 06/17/18 Best day of year to watch golf! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 6,338 ClubWRX
    The guy I already go to...Andrew Rice.
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
  • wadesworldwadesworld Advanced Members Posts: 667
    Clement, Stockton, Shoemaker.
  • Forged4everForged4ever Putting is 98%+ Mental..... ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 15,501 ClubWRX
    edited August 2018

David C wrote:

😂😂😂😂

Thank You, this was beautiful😃👍

I’m with Hawk as this is definitely a “spitter”😂

Stay well My Friend👊

RP
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • otto6457otto6457 Advanced Members Posts: 592
    My dad.

I realize that's not in the spirit of the thread...but he was my best instructor. Taught me how to grip a club and how to hit a golf ball.

Miss ya dad.
  • FullOfBrushManFullOfBrushMan Advanced Members Posts: 654 ✭✭
    Faxon for putting and Knudson for striking.
  • ddettsddetts Ty Webb ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,373 ClubWRX
    moonshine wrote:

The guy I already go to...Andrew Rice.

Follow him on Instagram, has good stuff!

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • pacobanuelospacobanuelos Members Posts: 30
    otto6457 wrote:

My dad.

I realize that's not in the spirit of the thread...but he was my best instructor. Taught me how to grip a club and how to hit a golf ball.

Miss ya dad.

It is in the spirit of this thread! I am glad he got to share the sport with you!
    TM M2 9* Aldila 70X
    TM P790 UDI - X100
    Mizuno JPX 900T 4-PW - X100 +.5
    Titleist 50F08, 54S10, 58M08 -S400 (64 in)
  • trileriantrilerian Advanced Members Posts: 244
    Jim Waldron - I know there is something to that arm swing illusion that I am just not getting. Would love to go to one of his clinics.

Shawn Clement - This would be a whole lot of fun, throwing clubs and all...

Regardless, I would need more than one lesson.
  • Range ProRange Pro Advanced Members Posts: 277
    Butch would be my choice for a modern teacher. He doesn't completely revamp your swing, just improve on your existing swing.

My teacher is Mike Austin and Mike Dunaway on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHO2bZMDLw9mE0Fdho15iQQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
  • HyrprymateHyrprymate Members Posts: 61
    Monte or Malaska for known instructors. For me it’s been Doug Reed for the win!
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Advanced Members Posts: 6,342 ✭✭
    There’s very few full swing instructors I would pay to spend time with. Dan Carraher would be right at the top of that list.
    Ping G400 MAX 9* w/ Tour 65 (S)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • jekatojekato Advanced Members Posts: 90
    Any past, or present, PGA tour player would be more than plum, the best of the best.
    The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan
  • P4TH3T1CP4TH3T1C Members Posts: 8
    Butch Harmon would be my choice. Has worked with soooo many pros that I like and I like what his ideas are on instructing and swing mechanics.
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Advanced Members Posts: 1,706
    Butch for me too.

He was doing some commentary work for Sky at last years open where he was asked to demonstrate how to hit a hybrid.

He gave it the full detailed analysis including why most amateurs should have one in the bag as it is so easy to hit. He then proceeded to stone cold top one about 40 yards in the demonstration and without breaking stride said something like "and that's how to top your hybrid"

Incredible swing knowledge and comes across as great company too
  • mvm912mvm912 Members Posts: 4
    edited August 2018
    trilerian wrote:

Jim Waldron - I know there is something to that arm swing illusion that I am just not getting. Would love to go to one of his clinics.

Shawn Clement - This would be a whole lot of fun, throwing clubs and all...

Regardless, I would need more than one lesson.
    Jim Waldron would be my pick as well. I learned more about the golf swing from the ASI thread than in 20 years of reading golf instruction articles, books, internet threads, etc. You stated that "there is something to that arm swing illusion that I am just not getting." Dig into the thread and check out the posts from BallHiss. The post, which is very passionate, is almost a plea to anyone reading it to keep everything moving at the same RPM speed/rate. You won't see the original posts for some reason, but you can reference them in other posts starting on or about page 61. It may your missing piece.

I think Jim is a teaching genius, but that's just me!
  • MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Advanced Members Posts: 840
    Golf Instructors I'd like to take a lesson from include, Harvey Penick, Dave Pelz, and Butch Harmon. There are so many other fine teachers, but if I must choose three, I'm in great hands with this trio.
  • JackalJackal Advanced Members Posts: 530
    Ledbetter, McLean, and Pelz!
  • QegureziQegurezi Advanced Members Posts: 3,799
    Dan and Monte would be great. Dan picked up some excellent things online but i think in person would be 10 x better too. The other absolute standout for me would be Brian Manzella. His track record is great as a teacher.
  • tk_golftk_golf Members Posts: 21
    Qegurezi wrote:

Dan and Monte would be great. Dan picked up some excellent things online but i think in person would be 10 x better too. The other absolute standout for me would be Brian Manzella. His track record is great as a teacher.

I have watched Manzella give a few lessons. He is great
  • tk_golftk_golf Members Posts: 21
    I have worked for and shadowed a few teachers so I won't include them.

Jeff Smith

Jeff Pierce

Matt Killen

Dan Carraher

Cameron Mccormick
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Advanced Members Posts: 3,695 ✭✭
    Every one of you is fooling yourself if you think you’re not choosing Butch. You’re honestly saying you get to have one lesson with anyone, no cost, and you’re going to choose instructors you already see? Are you taking crazy pills?
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • PutterKilledTheDreamPutterKilledTheDream Advanced Members Posts: 3,325 ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Every one of you is fooling yourself if you think you’re not choosing Butch. You’re honestly saying you get to have one lesson with anyone, no cost, and you’re going to choose instructors you already see? Are you taking crazy pills?

Define crazy pills......

Quick shot out for B Smock.....
    edited August 2018

Every one of you is fooling yourself if you think you're not choosing Butch. You're honestly saying you get to have one lesson with anyone, no cost, and you're going to choose instructors you already see? Are you taking crazy pills?

Fair enough.

If the idea is to do something other than usual (which for me is Monte when I can), I think it would be fun to spend a day with Pete Cowen (though watching his contorted ideas of bunker play and all his lines, etc. gives me a headache, lol). That would be my first choice for this hypothetical.

My brother-in-law spent a fair amount of time with Butch a few years ago and it was partly for the experience and to see what he might get out of it, had a great time and it helped him (but he's a scratch/plus), and based on his enjoyment of that I think that would make for a fun day.

After that, and I'm not pandering, there are a few guys on here to pick from that I think would be fun for a day just because they seem to know there stuff and the wrx connection.

There you go!
  • 80sFredriksson80sFredriksson Advanced Members Posts: 426
    Hard question, but Butch or Cowan seems like good choices, after all they have coached some really great players
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Advanced Members Posts: 2,315 ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Paige Spiranac........
    Callaway Fusion
    Pinhawk SL 5w
    TM Burner Superfast 4h
    TM Burner XD 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • 80sFredriksson80sFredriksson Advanced Members Posts: 426
    sdandrea wrote:

Paige Spirinac........

**** thread winner