Recommendations in Myrtle Beach

My group has been going to Myrtle Beach since 2001 and we have been staying/playing at The Legends resort since 2003. We usually go late March or early April. The all-inclusive feel to the place is what we like with breakfast and lunch included as well as a pub onsite for evening fun. This past April, leaving out of there, we had a bad taste left in our mouths. Bunch of little things adding up to a negative experience like course conditions, menu paired back, over-crowding, etc. We are open to trying a new resort or place to stay. Please suggest some ideas you may have. We'd like to stay in Myrtle and if possible, keep some of the convenient amenities like included meals. Thanks.

/ What's in my bag is more than meets the eye /

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try Barefoot Resort. It would be at least a small step up from Legends.

Cobra King F7, Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0

Cobra King F7 4wd, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0

Cobra King F7 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX919 HMP 5-PW, AMT White S300

Vokey SM8, 48.10F/54.14F/60.08M, Stock shafts

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S 34"

That is a long time to keep playing the same courses. You can save some $$ at Legends and maybe avoid renting cars, plus keep the

group together, if willing to put up with the crowd there.

If you go to MB Wed-Sun, try Sat-Wed, so you are there on more less crowded days.

Nobody else does the 2 meals like Legends. Barefoot is probably the closest in format, but it will cost more.

You don't have to book the Legends format. You can stay where you want and play the courses you want, A La Carte.

That way you can control the cost.

While 4 in a condo is the lowest cost lodging, I prefer the ocean front hotels. They have rooms for 1,2,3,4, which my group requests.

They include breakfast. Places like Caribbean, Breakers, Long Bay Resort, Island Vista, etc.

Don't stay South of 501 along the beach, as it has more crime than north of 501.

Wherever you pick your lodging, you can still play courses that are a short drive away, if that is your goal.

Was in Myrtle about 3 weeks ago and we stayed at Barefoot. We stayed in a couple “villas” that was basically just another word for apartments. No big deal they were ok for the most part. We had no courses scheduled to play at Barefoot which was nice because pretty much every course was in shambles condition wise. We did the Breakfast buffet but the week we were there the buffet wasn’t happening for some reason. No big deal they had a menu with ample choices to pick from. The courses we played were Myrtle Beach National, Arrowhead, Wild Wing, The Thistle, and on a whim we did the Love course at Barefoot. The Love course was by far the in the worst condition. MBN wasn’t great but ok and the rest were nice.

Went to Myrtle Beach a few years back and played a couple of the Barefoot courses. I think we did the Love, Dye, and one more. Those were alright, but nothing too memorable. Then we did True Blue and Caledonia. True Blue was a great course, but Caledonia was something different. It was the first time I ever played a Mike Strantz course or really even heard his name, but I became an instant fan. The drive in, the conditions, the layout...everything was just a step above the other courses. If I went back, I would probably just stick to the True Blue resort and for every 5 rounds, play Caledonia 4 of them.

That is a long time to keep playing the same courses. You can save some $$ at Legends and maybe avoid renting cars, plus keep the

group together, if willing to put up with the crowd there.

If you go to MB Wed-Sun, try Sat-Wed, so you are there on more less crowded days.

Nobody else does the 2 meals like Legends. Barefoot is probably the closest in format, but it will cost more.

You don't have to book the Legends format. You can stay where you want and play the courses you want, A La Carte.

That way you can control the cost.

While 4 in a condo is the lowest cost lodging, I prefer the ocean front hotels. They have rooms for 1,2,3,4, which my group requests.

They include breakfast. Places like Caribbean, Breakers, Long Bay Resort, Island Vista, etc.

Don't stay South of 501 along the beach, as it has more crime than north of 501.

Wherever you pick your lodging, you can still play courses that are a short drive away, if that is your goal.

It's an older group set in their ways! My buddy and I are the younger tier of the group and we are more willing to try something different.

Went to Myrtle Beach a few years back and played a couple of the Barefoot courses. I think we did the Love, Dye, and one more. Those were alright, but nothing too memorable. Then we did True Blue and Caledonia. True Blue was a great course, but Caledonia was something different. It was the first time I ever played a Mike Strantz course or really even heard his name, but I became an instant fan. The drive in, the conditions, the layout...everything was just a step above the other courses. If I went back, I would probably just stick to the True Blue resort and for every 5 rounds, play Caledonia 4 of them.

We've driven past Caledonia, and I drool every time. I want to play that one for sure!

Another vote for Caledonia. Spectacular!

If we do Caledonia, I'd want to stay in south MB. What lodging options are there in south MB that at least do an included breakfast?

Just do one of the 17,000 pancake houses they have on every corner for breakfast, lol. I really like Caledonia as well and usually VRBO a nice beach house or condo in the garden city/Murrell's inlet/pawleys island area if I'm staying around there, so no help on that front

But I know what you mean about the old guys stuck in their ways, can't break up their routine too much. I will say the Murrell's inlet area has a nice mix of restaurants that have more of a local feel, and a really cool marshwalk (boardwalk) that overlooks the inlet and connects all of the waterfront restaurants/bars so you can walk from place to place.

Sounds like a fun trip no matter where you stay, hope you'll have a great time!

Another vote for Caledonia. Spectacular!

If we do Caledonia, I'd want to stay in south MB. What lodging options are there in south MB that at least do an included breakfast?

If you stay central, you probably only want to play a south end course like Cal once, due to the drive.

If you stay on the south end, there is Litchfield Resort and True Blue condos.

Brian at MyrtleBeachGolfPackagers.com can book them.

If staying South, Cal, True Blue, Pawleys, TPC, Willbrook, River Club are the top courses.

If you stay on the south end, consider playing Heritage as well. Great course and just down the road from Caledonia. They typically have a deal for a free lunch when you get done. It is a beautiful course. Prestwick is also an underrated course in Surfised beach just off of highway 544. the other great courses in the area are also mentiond(TPC, Willbrook, River Club, Pawleys Plantation).

I tell everyone going to the Myrtle Beach area, either stay South or Stay North. South from Surfised Beach down to Pawleys Island area. Or north of 501 as mentioned/North Myrtle Beach . Do not stay in downtown Myrtle area. Too rough.

If you like the condo experience Barefoot is a good deal. Myrtlewood is not bad, but Barefoot is better.

On the South end, True Blue has condos and Litchfield Beach club.

Heritage is a much better course than Tradition and Heritage offers the same food deal you got at Legends.

Although you need 4 FGI courses to get the Reward card. You could pick Pawleys over Tradition.

The FGI Rewards Pkg has said the gift card is good for anything at the FGI courses you play, so I think it's good for more than lunch,

like pro ship merch + replays.

Heritage is a much better course than Tradition and Heritage offers the same food deal you got at Legends.

Although you need 4 FGI courses to get the Reward card. You could pick Pawleys over Tradition.

The FGI Rewards Pkg has said the gift card is good for anything at the FGI courses you play, so I think it's good for more than lunch,

Yes, the gift card was good for all of that. In terms of comparison to the Legends deal, I was just figuring on the guys using it for lunch.

Any thoughts on the Litchfield accommodations? Are the rooms decent and updated? Some of the Legends villas look like they must have been something... Back in 1992!

My group always stays in Sunset Beach, NC and our condos are nice (well just what we need). We pick different courses every year and we are staying in the N Myrtle Beach area so it's pretty quiet.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Heritage is a much better course than Tradition and Heritage offers the same food deal you got at Legends. Although you need 4 FGI courses to get the Reward card. You could pick Pawleys over Tradition. The FGI Rewards Pkg has said the gift card is good for anything at the FGI courses you play, so I think it's good for more than lunch, like pro ship merch + replays.

Art knows his stuff! Worked with him for years. He writes a fantastic trip blog, very detailed.

Yes, the gift card was good for all of that. In terms of comparison to the Legends deal, I was just figuring on the guys using it for lunch.

Any thoughts on the Litchfield accommodations? Are the rooms decent and updated? Some of the Legends villas look like they must have been something... Back in 1992!

I haven't stayed on the South end of MB. Some groups do it, but not a high volume, so that is why the south end/Pawleys doesn't

have many resorts. Litchfield is an older place, but I don't know if it is updated. True Blue condos will only be no older than the course,

which opened around 2000. I think Pawleys has golf pkg condos also.

My group always stays in Sunset Beach, NC and our condos are nice (well just what we need). We pick different courses every year and we are staying in the N Myrtle Beach area so it's pretty quiet.

Does this mean that the courses are less crowded so a 4.5 hour round is a possibility?

I haven't stayed on the South end of MB. Some groups do it, but not a high volume, so that is why the south end/Pawleys doesn't

have many resorts. Litchfield is an older place, but I don't know if it is updated. True Blue condos will only be no older than the course,

which opened around 2000. I think Pawleys has golf pkg condos also.

Art - can you share a link to your travel blog? PM me if you do not want it in the thread.

Does this mean that the courses are less crowded so a 4.5 hour round is a possibility?

There are more courses around the Calabash, NC/SC border area. They tend to be less busy than at the Legends Resort, so your odds of

faster rounds are improved, along with better odds of space available replays.

North or South end trips are more for groups that don't need a big variety of entertainment and restaurants.

If you are driving to MB, you cut your drive time to/from MB by about 1.5 hours with a north stay compared to a Pawleys stay.