2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The thrill is gone

Chowdah86

Im over it. The thrill is gone. I no longer get excited about new club releases. I barely get excited about anything on the course anymore. I am having trouble caring, focusing, on the green, over the ball. I have been playing this game for decades and this is the first time I can say that I really dont care about the next shot anymore. Sure, I enjoy the walk outside, having a chat with a playing partner, but Im becoming more and more disinterested in hitting the green, holing the putt.

I sold all of my extra clubs, whittled it down 14. I only carry the 9 clubs i really like and feel like I need. I switched from Pro v's to Pinnacle softs and started to use a sunday bag instead of the big dumb monstrosity that I had before. I dont use a GPS anymore, I just look at the stakes and estimate. I barely line up my putts, just kinda tap it a little closer or in to get out of my playing partners way. The funny thing is that my scores are suffering, but not that badly. My swing is getting looser, I've had to weaken my grip because I am releasing the club more out of laziness and purely not giving a crap. Im hitting it about 10 yards shorter.

The one thing that gets me to focus is having a few bucks to play for. Competition may be my last vestige of interest in the game. Then again, I have more interest in a game of corn hole than I do playing golf for cash. I also enjoy helping people learn and become better. Especially those brand new to the game. I think I have a knack for it.

Anyone else get to this place? Just kind of realize its all one big jackoff? The fancy courses, the club releases, the mythical swing ideas? Just somewhat disenchanted? I feel like I just woke up from a 10 year daze where I didnt care about anything else but golf. Im like on the other side of this bubble. I have the skill, the knowledge, the clubs, the membership, I just dont really have the excitement or drive.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else get to this place?

Nope.

Just kind of realize its all one big jackoff?

Of course it is. Don't drink the koolaid.

Don't fall for the marketing.

The fancy courses, the club releases, the mythical swing ideas?

Keep it simple. Play your own game. Own YOUR swing.

Just somewhat disenchanted?

I have never been enchanted by the game.

I was once enchanted by a woman. Her name was Tara.

I just dont really have the excitement or drive.

No one is forcing you to have excitement or drive.

Step away for a while.

You can just report yourself or PM a mod and they'll close your account for you.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

You sound burnt out buddy. I'm kinda at that point this year myself. The excitement, fun and passion haven't been there for me like in the past. That's okay though...look like it like any other hobby... I go in waves fishing, riding my bike, running, lifting, volleyball, etc... You can't force yourself to enjoy it.

You can go one of 2 routes...1)let it be, don't press yourself to play, and see if the drive comes back naturally. 2) Shake it up, look for new ways to make the game fun again (new playing partners, new wager ideas, new courses, etc)

Good luck buddy. Just remember, the game will always be there down the road when you want it.

As they say on one of the game forums I hang out on:

Can I haz ur stuff? ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

It's burn out and it happens with any hobby that you really dedicate a lot of time to. Step away for a month.

No golf, no practice, no range, no golf books, etc. Do something completely different. Spend more time with family or whatever you have been neglecting with time spent in the golf arena.

After some time away you will come back with a fresh out look.

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

Chowdah,

I feel the same way every August. Just burnt out from golf.

This year is worse than normal. Parent passing, golfer's elbow, crappy back, super cold early and now a heat wave etc etc Call the wahmbulance I know .. but that's my current position

I've been at it for 37 years myself

I am glad we have a season off up here. I do go South in the winter quite a few times but those are fun rounds with my wife and not rounds where I am trying to grind out a score.

Someone wrote a similar post not long ago and I basically said my desire for competitive golf is down to a 1 out of 10. I'd rather hit good shots and try hard shots than worry about the number at the end of the day

I can't see my getting off my tinkering run, that's a big part of the fun for me (I just got in an i500 six iron w steelfibre to test out)

Anyways, enjoy the weekend

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Yeah, Im just bitchin.

I just re-read it. Whatta bunch of bs haha. First world problems.

If this is any consolation...I've played like total cr*p for about 2 months. Struggling with things I've never struggled with before in nearly 50 years of playing. In our season long competition, after winning the first 3 events, I've gone basically DFL since and have a solid chance of going first to worst. Rare flashes of brilliance surrounded with consistent ineptitude.

I've gone back to the basics starting with making sure fun was the first priority and not letting the game, any hole or any shot become too important.

Not saying I'm playing any better but I'm enjoying golf and can't wait to get out there tomorrow.

You sound burnt out buddy. I'm kinda at that point this year myself. The excitement, fun and passion haven't been there for me like in the past. That's okay though...look like it like any other hobby... I go in waves fishing, riding my bike, running, lifting, volleyball, etc... You can't force yourself to enjoy it.

You can go one of 2 routes...1)let it be, don't press yourself to play, and see if the drive comes back naturally. 2) Shake it up, look for new ways to make the game fun again (new playing partners, new wager ideas, new courses, etc)

Good luck buddy. Just remember, the game will always be there down the road when you want it.

The one comment above that stands out here to me is "NEW COURSES TO PLAY"

I think that is a big part of my summer burnout, same track 90% of the time

EvnRoll ER9

Yeah, Im just bitchin.

I just re-read it. Whatta bunch of bs haha. First world problems.

If this is any consolation...I've played like total cr*p for about 2 months. Struggling with things I've never struggled with before in nearly 50 years of playing. In our season long competition, after winning the first 3 events, I've gone basically DFL since and have a solid chance of going first to worst. Rare flashes of brilliance surrounded with consistent ineptitude.

I've gone back to the basics starting with making sure fun was the first priority and not letting the game, any hole or any shot become too important.

Not saying I'm playing any better but I'm enjoying golf and can't wait to get out there tomorrow.

Sounds like my summer .... I've had competitive 71, 72, 73 and of course earlier in the year when it was cold and the back was fried some sweet looking 88 and 93's. 93 was the worst round I can remember and I think I had some ESC's on there ... when you're 6 holes in and want to leave it makes for a crap men's night

EvnRoll ER9

Passed the Jarrod Lyle thread and then stumbled into this one. All of your answers are clear as day.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Ran into a similar "wall" a few years back. Took some time off and happily stumbled into the world of hickory golf. Picked up a few hickory clubs, made up a chart listing those strange club names and how their loft matched modern clubs. Headed out to the course and found a whole new challenge - even made the course I normally played into a new experience.

I agree with recommendation that you take some time off and maybe try a new hobby. I'm back to playing hickories,, vintage and modern clubs. Hope you find your way back.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Chowdah,

I should add, if these feelings are extending into others areas of your life you may want to dive deeper. Maybe your issues are not really golf related at all. Takes a brave individual to seek professional assistance.

If it's simply 'bitchin' then I've been there.

Mike

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

The one comment above that stands out here to me is "NEW COURSES TO PLAY"

I think that is a big part of my summer burnout, same track 90% of the time

Thats true actually. Been playing the same spot non stop.

It sounds like my professional career but fortunately I am semi retired. I was never a good golfer but there came a time where I was just terrible and embarrassed to play. I am an avid fly fisherman and devoted myself to my other passion and came back to golf after a year with a ton of enthusiasm and determination. I suggest taking a break and delving into a different activity and accept that you may or may not come back to golf. Good luck!

Variety is the spice of life.

When you’re bored, and change is easy and not detrimental (for example, divorce is the last resort), then switch things up.

Play new courses. Travel to new places. Play different golf equipment.

The definition of insanity is doing the same exact thing over & over, expecting a different result.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Just cut your playing time to once a week . Play with people you really like . Come on GolfWRX for the fun of it or don’t , stay off of eBay.

I was in your position but a bad back stopped me from playing and then just over a year ago I had a life threatening experience. I can now only play golf occasionally and can’t break 90 when I used to be a useful 12 hcp with a bad back . The bad back stopped the Edward Watts ,TGW ,

Peter Millar and Bobby Jones shopping and the 5 new sets a year have gone and the endless drivers and putters but I do not miss them . But saying that I bought a set of Ping g700 irons off of Ebay and got the woods and hybrids to match and I am going to play with my buddies where we throw $30 in the pot at a Public golf course where we play loud music and drink beer and have ten times more fun than the expensive golf cub that I am a Member off where they need to play for $20 Nassau and take it all so seriously.

So I am down to one set of clubs , I still have my Scotty Cameron’s but I only play for fun if I don’t enjoy the partners I don’t play .

Golf is the greatest game in the world you can play it on your own or with friends . The sad part is if you have been a good player Father Time gets but you can still enjoy it .

Please don’t give it up just do it a little less for a while .

You can just report yourself or PM a mod and they'll close your account for you.

We have a winner. That was brilliant

On a serious note, I‘m going through a rough patch in my relationship and have comforted myself with golf, lots and lots of golf. Even went on a golf holiday alone, playing 15 rounds in 8 days. On the last few days, I started to not care and kind of lost the patience to read putts and do a proper pre shot routine. I was simply playing too much. Took a small break and the fire was back. Meaning I‘m getting mad at my mishaps with the same intensity as before. But seriously, it sounds like you need a longer break. Golf is way too complex and unpredictable to get boring.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime